• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Mix

I just saw an ad on youtube showing off an easter egg on Crow's Nest where the player can kill Truth during the opening cutscene where Truth interrupts Hood. It was actually pretty neat.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Short rant.

I really hate the 'betrayal' stuff in Halo 4. I've been booted about 4 times in a week for it due to an honest accident or someone getting in my way. I don't remember this in Halo 3. Also, I've gotten the message to boot players up about a half dozen times and I always 'forgive' but I guess that's not how people play since they're willing to boot me.

Really don't like that system.

-Ryn

Banned
A commonly held assumption. This test isn't the most scientific method but it clearly proves the Warthog is much faster than a Goose.

Goose just feels faster when driving and may handle better over rough terrain.
Used to race with my bro all the time and found out about this. It's been slower in every Halo which I always found backwards. If the mongoose is supposed to be a trade off of firepower for speed it shouldn't be slower than the Warthog which has firepower, speed, and protection. The only thing it is better at is how fast it speeds up. I'm not even sure about that.

I don't think the Gungoose is replacing the Mongoose. It seems to be more of a party thing which I don't mind since it seems like it could be fun. If it does make its way into regular mutiplayer though then hopefully it would only be a couple maps or heavy game types.

I want a Mongoose with a mounted weapon that flips the Mongoose every time it fires (maybe a Railgun or a Concussion Rifle or something).
That sounds hilariously bad but it would be fun to see that as a joke Easter egg or something.

Short rant.

I really hate the 'betrayal' stuff in Halo 4. I've been booted about 4 times in a week for it due to an honest accident or someone getting in my way. I don't remember this in Halo 3. Also, I've gotten the message to boot players up about a half dozen times and I always 'forgive' but I guess that's not how people play since they're willing to boot me.

Really don't like that system.
For some stupid reason or another I think people treat booting like a QTE and hit the x button as hard as they can. JIP hasn't helped the issue.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I don't know where yall got the idea that the Mongoose is faster than the Warthog. It's never been that way.

I could have sworn it was faster. Then again it sounds faster, it's smaller, there is a stronger sense of vulnerability because your wide open on it. This gives a bigger sense of urgency when travelling across a map.

Mongoose feels faster, clearly it's not though.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I always thought the mongoose to be maneuverable at the cost of firepower.

I still don't see the point of sticking a gun on it.

Darkmakaimura

For some stupid reason or another I think people treat booting like a QTE and hit the x button as hard as they can. JIP hasn't helped the issue.
They do it on purpose because, 'hey, why not'. Because even your own teammates have to be immature delta bravos.

What is JIP stand for, btw?

NOKYARD

Used to race with my bro all the time and found this out. It's been slower in every Halo which I always found backwards. If the mongoose is supposed to be a trade off of firepower for speed it shouldn't be slower than the Warthog which has firepower, speed, and protection. The only thing it is better at is how fast it speeds up. I'm not even sure about that.
Another advantage is the Goose can fit into spaces only 0.1 units wider than the player model. I believe in Halo 3 the Goose was exactly the same width as a player.

I just saw an ad on youtube showing off an easter egg on Crow's Nest where the player can kill Truth during the opening cutscene where Truth interrupts Hood. It was actually pretty neat.
I found the "Golden Staircase" Easter Egg in Halo 2 but was never able to reproduce it with the VCR running. I am going to give it another shot in H2A
and watermark the video

Darkmakaimura

Join in Progress

Yeah that's no doubt one of the reasons. People just being idiots isn't uncommon.

*Edit*
Oro'd
Getting booted so many times doesn't work against you, does it? I would hope not considering it's a terrible system and 343i should do away with it.

-Ryn

Banned
Another advantage is the Goose can fit into spaces only 0.1 units wider than the player model. I believe in Halo 3 the Goose was exactly the same width as a player.

I found the "Golden Staircase" Easter Egg in Halo 2 but was never able to reproduce it with the VCR running. I am going to give it another shot in H2A
and watermark the video
That's pretty cool. Its small size has certainly helped me out before in objective. It would be cool to see more maps take advantage of that too.

Golden staircase sounds like the fabled "Golden Warthog" in Halo 3. Never heard of it though.

Mistel

Banned
Goose just feels faster when driving and may handle better over rough terrain.
A mongoose has higher acceleration than a warthog giving you that feeling you have described. It is very much the slower of the pair by a fair margin.
Leaving aside 343 and especially Bungie's horrible misuse of the FRG, a "heavy ghost" would be an interesting vehicle. The power is at least partially balanced by the fact you could just snipe the Grunt out of it at well.
I'm not quite sure whether a heavy ghost would even be useful within itself, but who knows.

This pretty much sums up what I think of the whole gungoose idea and I quote: "Some fellas piss and moan about the M274's lack of offensive capability, but it's not meant to be an AFV!".

-Ryn

Banned
Getting booted so many times doesn't work against you, does it? I would hope not considering it's a terrible system and 343i should do away with it.
As far as I know there's not much of a penalty.

I haven't gotten any kind of message saying if I "quit" one more game I'll be banned for a bit. Though I don't get booted very much in 4 anyway because until recently I hadn't played it for a while. What I meant though is that JIP doesn't help the mindset because the dick who just presses it without caring is further reinforced by the knowledge that a replacement random will probably pop in the game 30 seconds later.

Darkmakaimura

WTF!?

Was playing Heavies and I get into one of those walkers and some guy on my team kept stunning me on purpose. That's real betrayal.

Darkmakaimura

Those people are everywhere...

Sometimes they don't even do it because you took the weapon they wanted
That's my guess. I took the mech. I never saw anyone else run to it. I just was there and grabbed it and my guess was he was pissed about it. I also saw him do it to someone who grabbed a tank so he could get in it. Anyways, he ended up causing my mech to get destroyed. I'm normally not a dick but I submitted a report on him for all good that'll do. Only been playing for about a week now and first real delta bravo I encountered.

Is anyone up for playing some Halo?
I'm playing right now. :p

-Ryn

Banned
That's my guess. I took the mech. I never saw anyone else run to it. I just was there and grabbed it and my guess was he was pissed about it. I also saw him do it to someone who grabbed a tank so he could get in it. Anyways, he ended up causing my mech to get destroyed. I'm normally not a dick but I submitted a report on him for all good that'll do. Only been playing for about a week now and first real delta bravo I encountered.

I'm playing right now. :p
Problem with online gaming is that you can't just punch people when they act like dicks.

Darkmakaimura

It's been awhile. Another warning: Can't find my headset so I can't talk.

And Tao, you're no newb.... lol. :p

Dub117

Every time I see pizza hut app in recent activity while gamertag creepin, I know I have found one of my people.
then I look and see how many halo achievements you have and judge you.

daedalius

They should bring this bad boy back:

Halo-2-Spectre-Covenant-Vehicle-Screenshot.jpg

I'd rather have the Chopper.

Source

I wonder if we will ever see the Shadow again? I still like that vehicle, even though it was disappointing we couldn't pilot it back in Halo 2. I hope it gets a comeback someday and is able to be driven.

Nebula

Give us all the vehicles.

343 shot themselves in the foot by making the Mongoose more accessible to players by strapping a gun on it, it's absolutely in no way an attempt to consolidate and balance portions of the sandbox to make sure people actually enjoy their game instead of just leaving it to the niche goosetage-ers that'll take it and rely on high aim assist and explosives to fly around and pick people off. Halo culture is being defiled, and honor and shame are huge parts of it (trust me, I'm an expert).

tumblr_inline_n39w4mcoWP1qa826v.gif

Except for the high aim assist. Sadly the Mongoose doesn't share the trait that the Revenant and Warthog have.

Top Bottom