• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

No idea why I put them all on the ground like that cuz its an older pic, but whatevs.

ZN9PKQ4.jpg

sup

Duji

In regards to the CE and 2 comment, you can get the data, but it isn't going to be as precise as a game where you can go in-engine frame-by-frame. Depending on the video codec used to encode the video, it could drop a game's frame here and there. Once you get a large enough sample size, precision isn't as important and fairly negligible in this case since the results aren't going to vary by large numbers.
Yes, going slow-mo in-engine is the most reliable way to get the data, but examining videos frame-by-frame is a lot more reliable than you think. I know this because I've used both methods and ended up with the exact same results. Even before H4 came out, analyzing footage gave me a 44 frame kill time for the DMR. Going into theater mode once I got my hands on the game only confirmed it. However I did get the the LR and BR kill times wrong because I assumed that it took all three bullets of the last burst to get a kill (the LR required 2 and the BR only 1). It's almost impossible to know that sort of thing based on regular gameplay footage alone, so that is one limitation of the video method. Theater mode or a controlled experiment in custom games comes in handy for that type of thing (or 343 just telling us how many bullets it takes).

And it's very easy to tell when a frame is dropped: you see a duplicate frame when you step ahead by 1 frame. I keep a close eye out for that and I toss aside the video if it occurs way too often. IIRC, there weren't any dropped frames in any of the videos I went through as reference points.

Toa TAK

Banned
I wish they would get Wincott back for Truth and just re-record all of the Halo 3 stuff, same for Julie Benz. Those two voice changes were travesties - Truth moreso.
I agree with Truth, but I really did like Miranda's VA in Halo 3, though. Bolding did a great job, I feel. Not to dump on Benz.

Blah, I guess I'm trying to say is that I love them both.

I agree with Truth, but I really did like Miranda's VA in Halo 3, though. Bolding did a great job, I feel. Not to dump on Benz.

Blah, I guess I'm trying to say is that I love them both.

Agreed. "Wanting her to have an accent" helped make her feel like a unique character rather than just "GIRL KEYES GIRL VOICE." Not that the Halo 2 VA was bad by comparison, Miranda's VA just felt more like a step up in budget than anything.

If they bring back Michael Wincott, they should re-write all his Halo 3 stuff while they're at it. He went from scheming bastard to raving madman.

Random17

If they bring back Michael Wincott, they should re-write all his Halo 3 stuff while they're at it. He went from scheming bastard to raving madman.

Which was probably the biggest downgrade any character in Halo has gotten so far.

The change from the cunning, elegant and deceitful Prophet of Truth to the raving madman was a completely unnecessary change.

willow ve

If any of the new abilities affect hit boxes or shot registration they should be scrapped now while maps are still in development.

And please make them all on toggle so we can readily disable them. Saves a title update too if they turn out to be game breaking. Just switch the toggle in each game type and move on.

Fuchsdh

I wish they would get Wincott back for Truth and just re-record all of the Halo 3 stuff, same for Julie Benz. Those two voice changes were travesties - Truth moreso.

I dunno. Julie Benz just sounds so… spacey, I guess is the word I'd choose? Golding sounded a lot more forceful and present and I think worked better for the character. For Trtuh, it's really hard to pick—I think the love for Wincott has more to do with the character's portrayal in 2 rather than the work of Stamp in 3.

Which was probably the biggest downgrade any character in Halo has gotten so far.

The change from the cunning, elegant and deceitful Prophet of Truth to the raving madman was a completely unnecessary change.

While I think it could have been written far better, I don't see Truth's character in 3 as a retcon or an "unnecessary" change. The guy is basically the last of his kind trying to hold together a race held together by religious fervor and power. It's fair to me that he cracked a little, though I think his actions still make sense.

If any of the new abilities affect hit boxes or shot registration they should be scrapped now while maps are still in development.

And please make them all on toggle so we can readily disable them. Saves a title update too if they turn out to be game breaking. Just switch the toggle in each game type and move on.

I'm a little confused how it's going to work controller-wise. Say there are three "extra" abilities: sprint, "dash/slide" and "ground smash thing". Would there be a single button, e.g. 'X' that applies one of the abilities based on context (if I'm in the air, then smash, else if near cover then dash/slide, else sprint), based on button combos (X+down -> dash/slide), or equipped manually prior to use, like switching weapons.

Takashi

Mind blown- I had never noticed Miranda's VA changed for Halo 3 lol. Actually had to look up some cutscenes just to hear the difference.

Danny 117

Yeah the Truth voice in Halo 3 is shockingly bad compared to the one in Halo 2. Would be best for a redub in an anniversary edition for sure.

Omni

Shockingly bad?

I guess I should be used to hyperbole on the internet by now. But still, it's jarring to read sometimes.

It is different from Halo 2, yes. But I have no idea how people can seriously suggest it's bad enough to the point of asking for a redub. Did we even play the same game? /one of those things I guess

Woorloog

Banned
I don't think Truth's voice in Halo 3 is bad. Rather his writing is pretty bad (Truth is changed way too radically), and the voice actor sounds a bit too different (so yeah, i'd welcome a redub).
Bungie's writing post-Halo 2 hasn't been very good, i don't think Halo 3, ODST and Reach have good writing or stories.

I don't think Truth's voice in Halo 3 is bad. Rather his writing is pretty bad (Truth is changed way too radically), and the voice actor sounds a bit too different (so yeah, i'd welcome a redub).
Bungie's writing post-Halo 2 hasn't been very good, i don't think Halo 3, ODST and Reach have good writing or stories.

Mmm thats reminds me of those Mexican marines in Halo 2 fighting against 4 year old grunts.

daedalius

I think Halo 2 has some of the best additions to the fiction, and Truth turned from a cunning chessmaster in h2 into a mad zealot in h3.

Was really sad that Michael Wincott didn't do the voice again in 3, although the writing really took a weird turn like you said.

I'd love to see Halo played from a few different perspectives again, really enjoyed seeing things from the Arbiter's perspective (although I didn't totally love all those flood levels...). Maybe we will get something like that with Agent Locke.

willow ve

I'm a little confused how it's going to work controller-wise. Say there are three "extra" abilities: sprint, "dash/slide" and "ground smash thing". Would there be a single button, e.g. 'X' that applies one of the abilities based on context (if I'm in the air, then smash, else if near cover then dash/slide, else sprint), based on button combos (X+down -> dash/slide), or equipped manually prior to use, like switching weapons.
We really just need more info on the abilities. All we have now is ~10 seconds of CGI.

Random17

Shockingly bad?

I guess I should be used to hyperbole on the internet by now. But still, it's jarring to read sometimes.

It is different from Halo 2, yes. But I have no idea how people can seriously suggest it's bad enough to the point of asking for a redub. Did we even play the same game? /one of those things I guess
I wouldn't say it was "shockingly bad", he had his good moments, but I just feel that it was a big downgrade from Halo 2.

It doesn't really matter that much anyway.

Sibylus

Banned

I think Halo 2 has some of the best additions to the fiction, and Truth turned from a cunning chessmaster in h2 into a mad zealot in h3.

Was really sad that Michael Wincott didn't do the voice again in 3, although the writing really took a weird turn like you said.

I'd love to see Halo played from a few different perspectives again, really enjoyed seeing things from the Arbiter's perspective (although I didn't totally love all those flood levels...). Maybe we will get something like that with Agent Locke.
Yes, yes, yes. It's like they wrote out H2 Truth and wrote back in H2 Regret. Just jarring.

Any narrative "complexity" was abandoned when Bungie made 3 and they played it very safe.

All of 3's interesting plot is in the Terminals.

And yes, Stamp is not half as good as Wincott in the role.

Danny 117

Shockingly bad?

I'll admit I was exaggerating immensely. The voice is tolerable but I think it makes truth a completely different character going from Halo 2 - 3.
Halo 2: Calm and Collected
Halo 3: Lunatic

How DARE you mock the one, true General Zod!!!

Sorry ;(

Obscured

Is there a friends list and a clan list or something along those lines on the bone?

Bigger friends list, you can also have people as followers, not sure what t does and you can favorite some of your friends

This is one area I feel the XB1 is lacking. It is cool that you have infinite followers but then it isn't obvious you have a new friend request. I added Tawpgun from the Titanfall thread but I'm just in there as one of your followers. When you send it you also can't tell if you are someone's friend or just a follower. It is almost there but could use some polish

This would be really great, especially as friends lists start to grow. Actually not just great but necessary as time goes on.

Here are two suggestions on the xbox feedback site that are somewhat applicable.

Clan/Team/Group Support - https://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/251648-friends-parties/suggestions/6029126-clan-team-group-support

Custom Friend Categories - https://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/251648-friends-parties/suggestions/5992978-custom-friend-categories

Glad to see the OT back, hope it goes better than previous. Meaning I hope we get enough info until November to keep us satiated to keep us from turning on each other.

Can't wait to get this game. Got to play some customs with a few here before jumping ship to XB1 and while the tone can be harsh here sometimes, everyone was really cool to play with, so hopefully I can get on in some of those reindeer games when the time comes.

The skybox Halo megastructure looks very nice, yes, but the rest?
Someone could say it was Halo 4 [technically and stylistically] and I'd believe them.

Yeah, look at the jaggy shadow on the ramp at the right or the repeated texture on the rock.

It looks like Super Halo 4, but I think that's perfectly fine considering this is basically a partial stopgap for Halo 5.

FyreWulff

The skybox Halo megastructure looks very nice, yes, but the rest?
Someone could say it was Halo 4 [technically and stylistically] and I'd believe them.

Speculation:

Probably a good chance these six maps started as DLC for Halo 4

I'd lol if it has the Pinnacle forge pieces on it. Forge Ascension above Ascension.

Forge Island has a fully 3D skybox!

Nope. Would have broken it's multi-team support, since one of the teams spawn on the banshee platform. They would have won every single time

It was also the Reach Banshee. That's pretty much ending the game as soon as it begins.

Woorloog

Banned
Ascension. What i remember from that map are: The shit remake in Reach, and a local MP game in Halo 2, where my friend shot me with dual pistols from halfway across the map, while i was flying.

It was a wonderful map for three players in local (splitscreen) multiplayer, though we had to either remove the Banshee, or agree not to use it (unless losing badly).

Nope. Would have broken it's multi-team support, since one of the teams spawn on the banshee platform. They would have won every single time

Wait, they couldn't make separate variants? I thought it was there in TS at release, but I could be wrong. Anyway, made that map extra dumb since that whole section became an overly complicated deathtrap.

Top Bottom