• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT| Not a thread about Halo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the weapons balance update behind a paywall?

If not I might take one just to bro out with some people. I think I'm like a level 54.

Edit: Actually I have the map pack sub thing. So it shouldn't matter.

Alright, well just PM me if you need one, I'll be more than happy to give you one.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Is the weapons balance update behind a paywall?

If not I might take one just to bro out with some people. I think I'm like a level 54.

Edit: Actually I have the map pack sub thing. So it shouldn't matter.

Nah it's in all of matchmaking. As long as you can play matchmaking, you can play Turbo

Ryaaan14

Banned

DgpPXcZ.gif

Booshka

Well one more 3 month card and I think that's it for XBL and me, its gonna be weird :(

I got till October then I am probably done. Shadowrun and Dark Souls might keep me playing 360 for a little longer, but I wouldn't mind just letting XBL lapse indefinitely after October.

wwm0nkey

I got till October then I am probably done. Shadowrun and Dark Souls might keep me playing 360 for a little longer, but I wouldn't mind just letting XBL lapse indefinitely after October.
That's my plan. I'm finishing off my Xbox run with ShadowRun and Halo 3 lol

SO happy Halo 3 is being put on the free game thing so that will have a population again.

Omni

Wow. They're selling 4GB Xbox 360 slims near my house for $130. (For reference, a new game here in Australia can cost about $120). Thinking of picking one up as I've still got an original arcade model with 250gb HDD and well... that's freakin cheap. PS3s are $200 (might put a deposit on that too. Really want to play last of us). I <3 sales.

How do the hard drives work in the slim? Are they the same?

Madness

Wow. They're selling 4GB Xbox 360 slims near my house for $130. (For reference, a new game here in Australia can cost about $120). Thinking of picking one up as I've still got an original arcade model with 250gb HDD and well... that's freakin cheap. PS3s are $200 (might put a deposit on that too. Really want to play last of us). I <3 sales.

How do the hard drives work in the slim? Are they the same?

No. They are proprietary. Small little HDD, you insert in. But there are 'options' you have to make your own Xbox 360 slim hard drive.

What you could do is rip open your old hard drive, get an Xbox 360 slim 'shell' from Amazon, put your old hard drive in there and use it with the slim. That way you don't have to do all the formatting etc.

The new proprietary hard drives officially from MS are really expensive. I lucked out. I got a slim last Christmas for like $99 bucks and some guy on Craigslist was selling a 320 gig sealed HDD for the slim for $60 cash.

Thermite

Rare's not making it, Double Helix is.
they're an awful developer
The roster is limited because it's free to play and you buy each character individually.

Doesn't matter anyway, Killer Instinct has always been terrible. Sorry Poker Face

Buying characters individually is an option to play KI3, there's also a version of the game you can buy that has all the characters.

As far as the quality of KI, I've always personally loved the series. There still hasn't been a fighting game I've played since that has captured the satisfying feeling of combos in this series. And it sounds like KI3 is going to have those satisfying combos but adding on layers of elements from other really good fighting games like SSFIV and Third Strike. I've been really impressed with the way the game looks in all the demos they've done at Madcatz, Gamespot, and on Twitch, and like every major fighting fan that has gotten their hands on it has said it's excellent.

Fuchsdh

Is he really?

Bolded were wrong, except maybe the last sentence... don't really know what it means, but Sony claimed they never intended nor discussed DRM, so if that's true, and many GAF users believe Sony's claim, then it's wrong.

The underline is debatable. All I've seen of CBOAT is a bunch of safe guesses from already established rumors by some other source, rumors. He took all the safe guesses and they were mostly wrong. I haven't been here for long, so I don't know if CBOAT has a record from 2009 or something where he was always right, but now, it seems to me he was majority of the time, wrong.

I don't know, maybe he really is an insider, and his sources were just wrong this time.

The Live paywall one was right, but that's how the system works on Xbox LIve right now. It's not hard to infer Xbox 360 policies would be the same as Xbox One policies.

Yeah I searched for CBoat and that list was the first thing that came up. I didn't bother digging further, but if he was wrong about all that I don't get why a four character response in the thread can be taken as any real proof. Sounds like a self-important troll on NeoGAF, especially with the glue-sniffing five year old spelling.

Madness

Yeah I searched for CBoat and that list was the first thing that came up. I didn't bother digging further, but if he was wrong about all that I don't get why a four character response in the thread can be taken as any real proof. Sounds like a self-important troll on NeoGAF, especially with the glue-sniffing five year old spelling.

Lol, I dare you to write that verbatim on gaming side in the next big thread that uses CBoaT as a source.

Supposedly he writes that way to avoid data mining of his posts, pattern recognition of his posts, avoid other sites quoting him. Is he a high up dev/exec?

Woorloog

Banned
Lol, I dare you to write that verbatim on gaming side in the next big thread that uses CBoaT as a source.

Supposedly he writes that way to avoid data mining of his posts, pattern recognition of his posts, avoid other sites quoting him. Is he a high up dev/exec?

He is an ex-MS employee, with contacts there, as i understood it. Mods vouch for him.
He is sometimes wrong, but presumably that is due to false information he got. He is mostly right.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
CBoaT has pretty much nailed 95% of his info, he's legit. He gets a thing or two wrong every once in a while, but he's been spot on lately. He has some kind of inside look at this stuff.

Rare's not making it, Double Helix is.
they're an awful developer
The roster is limited because it's free to play and you buy each character individually.

Doesn't matter anyway, Killer Instinct has always been terrible. Sorry Poker Face

They hired new people for it, some of the OG team is working on it. Double Helix is just a name at this point. It's essentially going to be a F2P game where you are allowed to use Jago and play in all the game modes. If you like the game you can buy more characters. Seems fine with me as long as I can buy everything for 59.99 (or less)

Killer Instinct is either a game people love or hate. I grew up with it, and still play it to this day so I'm buying the whole thing day 1. It's free to play the entire game so if you're getting the console I would at least give it a try.

m23

They hired new people for it, some of the OG team is working on it. Double Helix is just a name at this point. It's essentially going to be a F2P game where you are allowed to use Jago and play in all the game modes. If you like the game you can buy more characters. Seems fine with me as long as I can buy everything for 59.99 (or less)

Killer Instinct is either a game people love or hate. I grew up with it, and still play it to this day so I'm buying the whole thing day 1. It's free to play the entire game (with Xbone) so if you're getting the console I would at least give it a try.

Yeah, I used to play it a lot when I was younger. It is a downloadable game though so hopefully the full game isn't priced at $59, hopefully more like $39.

Fuchsdh

I'm not a major fan of fighting games, but don't most people just stick with one or two characters? (Yosimitsu's knee bash in Tekken 2 all the way.)

Seems like in that respect F2P works well for the consumer.

Tawpgun

The f2p model fucks over people who play local/offline

I don't think there is an offline mode with all characters unlocked. This means tournament play is a hassle to set up.

Sai-kun

Banned
Morning, y'all! I've been on the road/vacationing with other GAFfers so i haven't had much time to check in here. How're y'all doing? Anything new/interesting happen?

Omni

No. They are proprietary. Small little HDD, you insert in. But there are 'options' you have to make your own Xbox 360 slim hard drive.

What you could do is rip open your old hard drive, get an Xbox 360 slim 'shell' from Amazon, put your old hard drive in there and use it with the slim. That way you don't have to do all the formatting etc.

The new proprietary hard drives officially from MS are really expensive. I lucked out. I got a slim last Christmas for like $99 bucks and some guy on Craigslist was selling a 320 gig sealed HDD for the slim for $60 cash.

Ahh okay. Will look into that then. Thanks :)

ohmygod it's sooooo cold. I hate winter. Apparently it's about 1 degree Celsius in my house. God damnit

Omni

wat
You don't have heating system-thingy?

Yeah we do. Drains the power though. Last bill we got was for a bit over $5000 (three months and just two people living in the house). So basically we can't afford to use it ha

Been using the hot air from my laptop to warm me up... smh

Woorloog

Banned
Yeah we do. Drains the power though. Last bill we got was for a bit over $5000 (three months and just two people living in the house). So basically we can't afford to use it ha

Been using the hot air from my laptop to warm me up... smh

You live in Australia according to your profile?
Huh. Remind me not to move to Australia, ever.
How come heating costs that much there?

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.”

Tawpgun

People in Australia also make like $1000 an hour minimum wage.
Yeah someone brought up a good point regarding the new consoles costing more in Europe/Australia than in the US.

Turns out in all the countries it takes about 60 hours in each countries minimum wage to afford the consoles

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I've never been one for the in-game Halo stories. 1 was solid, 2 was good (the whole religious undertones, etc) until the end, and 3 had really no point. 4 seemed alright, but I didn't like the way they handled the Didact at all.

The books are far better.

Buying characters individually is an option to play KI3, there's also a version of the game you can buy that has all the characters.

As far as the quality of KI, I've always personally loved the series. There still hasn't been a fighting game I've played since that has captured the satisfying feeling of combos in this series. And it sounds like KI3 is going to have those satisfying combos but adding on layers of elements from other really good fighting games like SSFIV and Third Strike. I've been really impressed with the way the game looks in all the demos they've done at Madcatz, Gamespot, and on Twitch, and like every major fighting fan that has gotten their hands on it has said it's excellent.

Killer Instinct is either a game people love or hate. I grew up with it, and still play it to this day so I'm buying the whole thing day 1. It's free to play the entire game so if you're getting the console I would at least give it a try.

Fair enough, then. Don't get me wrong, I do hope that the game is good!

Not only was the story stupid, the missions were boring too. I thought Reach's campaign sucked but I at least replayed that tons of times.
I feel the same way. I can overlook a lot of lame story if the gameplay is fun (Halo 3), but Halo 4 was all pretty pixels and no memorable gameplay.

I feel the same way. I can overlook a lot of lame story if the gameplay is fun (Halo 3), but Halo 4 was all pretty pixels and no memorable gameplay.
There are a few small bits here and there that I like, but yes, the quality of the campaign is proven out in how little I've wanted to play through it.

Tawpgun

I replay the trench run sometimes. Thought it was fun.

Also made me realize something about the art direction of Halo 4. Everything got so bland. Lots of iconic Halo images were traded off for something that looks more "practical"

The shotgun, for instance. Lost its traditional shape.

But I was mainly talking about the UNSC frigates. Get to the end of the trench run where you have to disable the guns, and look into the sky. A bunch of frigates jump in and they look like slabs of gray. Like long cigars.
From this
FRIGATE_SCALE_COMPARISON.jpg

To this.
640px-H4-CharonLightFrigate-AftRender.png

If Halo is annualized, that means multiple devs right? Maybe CA will finally get their own game.

Halo needs more time in the oven not less. They really need to spend a lot of time prototyping and seeing what is fun.

There is no way MS will let them have that time - MS's handling of its exclusives is partly what's pushing me to ps4 next gen

Off the top of my head:
Fable
Gears
Halo

Have all been whored to the point that they are no longer attractive.

Is Sony as bad? I honestly don't know?

Either way - Microsoft does not show restraint and let its exclusives have the time they need to be good - the quick cash grab approach is ruining the games and I hope ultimately costs ms a lot of money so they learn their lesson.

Between that and the 14 day buy and play and family plan bullshit Microsoft try and spew I really think I am getting sick of them. Bungie got out at the right time.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Halo needs more time in the oven not less. They really need to spend a lot of time prototyping and seeing what is fun.

There is no way MS will let them have that time - MS's handling of its exclusives is partly what's pushing me to ps4 next gen

Off the top of my head:
Fable
Gears
Halo

Have all been whored to the point that they are no longer attractive.

Is Sony as bad? I honestly don't know?

Either way - Microsoft does not show restraint and let its exclusives have the time they need to be good - the quick cash grab approach is ruining the games and I hope ultimately costs ms a lot of money so they learn their lesson.

Between that and the 14 day buy and play and family plan bullshit Microsoft try and spew I really think I am getting sick of them. Bungie got out at the right time.

I think any franchises you can claim they are milking (Uncharted, God Of War, Killzone) have all generally been getting better, not worse, right? I think GoW3 and Uncharted 3 are considered the best in the series.

I can't think of a single Playstation exclusive that has died in the way Fable and Halo has. I think Gears Judgement was pretty well received but I think the MP was like the Halo 4 of the Gears series.

Nintendo even did it with Skyward Sword, they can't seem to get AAA Zelda right anymore, but the new 3DS one looks amazing. Same with Mario, they haven't really had a huge Mario title on the level of Galaxy yet and people want it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom