• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT| Not a thread about Halo

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's interesting as hell, but if I were a future employer and saw this I would definitely have reservations about hiring him.

I'm always curious as to how outspoken individuals in the gaming industry are effected by their public texts (interviews/facebook/twitter etc) since the gaming industry is so insular with their talent.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Ask yourself this question if you're not sure about whether or not you'll buy the Xbone:

Do you post here?

If the answer is yes, then congratulations! You'll soon be the owner of a brand new xbone. Otherwise, shut up.

This may be the dumbest, most fanboy-ish post on NeoGAF so far.

Reading the article about the CA freelancer, the guy doesn't seem to understand what contracting jobs are like. Either you are highly sought after because of your skillset, or you get paid a low wage to do a job they simply need to fill seats for.

This quote was mildly interesting about balance, ordnance, and dominion:

Once, I worked an entire weekend on a voluntary basis. Halo 4 primary developer 343 wanted to cut our signature mode: Dominion. At that time, it was broken as hell and really unbalanced. The concept was outstanding, but there were a crap load of balancing issues. 343 was always tinkering with kits and available weapons, so the devs were having a hard time balancing ordnance drops.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
It really is. People post here because we're Halo fans either of the past games and franchise or of that and the new game and franchise.

It's almost as if people aren't mindless consumer bots just waiting to buy whatever the next thing is, regardless of what it is.

Whodafuckinthought?

Article took balls I guess. Every gaming company will hear about the article and have reservations hiring him. He's obviously smart enough to know that. The gaming industry does currently suck regarding employment it's a field with an incredibly high entrance barrier n because employers know this they can get away with all this outsource intern level temp bullshit that you'd see in much more traditionally sought after fields.

However nothing would ever change. Way too many people willing to rat claw their way into the industry because "Oh my god who wouldn't want to get paid to game!" The whole thing disgusts me and I don't have high hopes for the future of the industry. Its just going to get worse for employees.

heckfu

Banned
Article took balls I guess. Every gaming company will hear about the article and have reservations hiring him. He's obviously smart enough to know that. The gaming industry does currently suck regarding employment it's a field with an incredibly high entrance barrier n because employers know this they can get away with all this outsource intern level temp bullshit that you'd see in much more traditionally sought after fields.

I couldn't even understand where he was coming from half the time. Bragging about how good he was at music, etc, and then giving it all up without a single explanation as to why?

And then bitching about how he got in trouble for using gchat in unprofessional ways at work...lol OF COURSE it's their fault he was chatting with friends instead of working. Instead of rallying behind this guy and feeling sorry let's just put all the blame for Halo 4's maps on him since he wasn't doing his job.

Now as for me...maybe I should get back to work.

edit: my bad. went back and read and saw that the music thing went unsuccessfully in the end, after all. My fault.

Hire juices.

SLRPSLRP

Having most of my posts not be stupid fanboy rhetoric makes me feel really good.

Why are you so angry?

However nothing would ever change. Way too many people willing to rat claw their way into the industry because "Oh my god who wouldn't want to get paid to game!" The whole thing disgusts me and I don't have high hopes for the future of the industry. Its just going to get worse for employees.

It will eventually crash and be rebuilt by small developers who invest in the people rather than the IP. Then we will get a mega-blockbuster game from a small studio. Then we'll get another 343 or Infinity Ward and the cycle will continue.

Had a legitimate dream where Zeouterlimits and someone else got banned. I know Zeo's ban was for deliberately emphasising the word rape more than was needed in a Halo thread.

I had to dream my own drama. It was weird.

I had a dream last night that I was at a speech given by George H.W. Bush (inside a bar owned by a motorcycle club, no less), and in the middle of the speech he went into explicit detail of how badly he wanted to fuck Sarah Palin. I woke up sweaty and ready to vomit.

heckfu

Banned
I had a dream last night that I was at a speech given by George H.W. Bush (inside a bar owned by a motorcycle club, no less), and in the middle of the speech he went into explicit detail of how badly he wanted to fuck Sarah Palin. I woke up sweaty and ready to vomit.

you've been reading my tweets too much.

neoism

I... can't understand any of this.

Maybe you should learn to read. Most of my post don't have perfect punctuation. This is the internet I really don't try for it. There is no requirement to post anywhere on this forum, or in a particular thread. Like I said most posters in this thread are familiar with each other and have had far faar more fun in the past games with th halo franchise. It is still my favorite FPS series ever, even with the shit that is Halo 4.

...smh

I couldn't even understand where he was coming from half the time. Bragging about how good he was at music, etc, and then giving it all up without a single explanation as to why?

And then bitching about how he got in trouble for using gchat in unprofessional ways at work...lol OF COURSE it's their fault he was chatting with friends instead of working. Instead of rallying behind this guy and feeling sorry let's just put all the blame for Halo 4's maps on him since he wasn't doing his job.

Now as for me...maybe I should get back to work.

edit: my bad. went back and read and saw that the music thing went unsuccessfully in the end, after all. My fault.

SLRPSLRP

That's a shame to hear I thought that article was pretty well written for someone who probably doesn't write fora living. I really wasn't speaking of him individually though this is like a common occurrence of bigger gaming companies screwing the little guy.

All I know is I've never put in an unpaid weekend into my job n I'm treated a hell of a lot better than he was.

Yea I don't think he got the point of a temp job tho dude got mad when they decided not to keep him. Still on his personal level that can't feel good.

IHaveIce

Banned
The article is interesting, 343 wanted to cut Dominion? If they only had, because the concerns they had back then are still there.

But yeah the article sounds how Halo 4 feels like. It seemed really to be a mess, let's hope 343 tries to develope the next title more on their own

No No not everyone. Considering a lot of us sold Halo 4 I doubt we will. I know even at this point with the arrogance shown by MS employees about this, They could totally turn it around and I wouldn't be buying it.

So for me it's PS4 for me from here on out assuming they don't follow Microsoft's lead on the DRM, etc.
Well, I don't really know how to say this without sounding dismissive, but, if you say so!

I just have a hunch that as soon as the first trailer is unveiled, the first vidoc is shown, Plywood starts making sexy gifs, and the bitching is in full force, A LOT of the people here will be in, despite all the apprehension that Halo 4 has created.

But we'll see, won't we?

Madness

Aren't more and more studios actually outsourcing because it saves time and is cheaper? That's why EA has put so much money in Mainland China setting up studios and hiring recent grads etc. They'll offshore or outsource the grueling work to them to save costs.

I don't blame 343 really, it's just the way the industry is. 343 was a new studio trying to deliver one of the biggest IP's etc. I think I read an interview with Kiki where she said at one point, they had almost 500+ people working for Halo 4, that's got to mean most of them were contract workers.

neoism

The article is interesting, 343 wanted to cut Dominion? If they only had, because the concerns they had back then are still there.

But yeah the article sounds how Halo 4 feels like. It seemed really to be a mess, let's hope 343 tries to develope the next title more on their own

Really goes to show what happens when you have hired people to make sure your game is good and plays good, only to be thrown them away after release. I wonder what dev's out they have full-time teams for QA as apart of the dev team and don't treat them like underlings.
Most dev's so go to Valve or NaughtDog or Bungie and see how its done.
When a person really feels like he/she is apart of a great group of like-minded dev's and work as a team it only makes for better work..
Ugh

Guys, gaming is soooooo last year. Who cares about consoles?

Yeah I'm with you Gui I just sold almost everything game wise a few hours ago... only kept my 3DS and PS3.. only kept my Wii because no one wanted it lol. This past year I've gamed more on my PC anyway and its most likely not stopping... steam FTW

Ken

But we'll see, won't we?

I'm a little hesitant about dropping $60+ on the sequel to an award winning, 9.8 scoring (IGN!!!) FPS title that I only played 24 hours of and can't even be bothered to finish the campaign or redeem the season pass/LE stuff.

Halo 4 is getting new weapon skins in October with their toy series.

WHYYYYYY. With the new systems coming out (not BC) and the numbers of people playing Halo 4 less and less every months is anyone really going to want the code? Should have sold them in January-March.

That is classic Microsoft right there.
Instead of adding those skins to another endgame specialization to reward the few remaining players, they tie it to some stupid promotion to sell toys.

It is really hard to think positively about the future of Xbox when crap like this happens to its flagship series.

Redford

aka Cabbie
What innovations would it take for you guys to pick up a Wii U for the eventual Zelda? Have you been happy with the recent titles?

IMO the only improvement it needs to really make is presentation, although I know some people on gaming side defend the jankiness of the current MO for gameplay-first reasons, which is frustrating

What innovations would it take for you guys to pick up a Wii U for the eventual Zelda? Have you been happy with the recent titles?

IMO the only improvement it needs to really make is presentation, although I know some people on gaming side defend the jankiness of the current MO for gameplay-first reasons.
I'd like a better opener. Faster text, maybe voice acting, improve the pace of the game a bit.

Beyond that, I want to be surprised. And not in a "oh god you're ending this on a QTE" surprise way.

Talents

Banned
Yeah I'm with you Gui I just sold almost everything game wise a few hours ago... only kept my 3DS and PS3.. only kept my Wii because no one wanted it lol. This past year I've gamed more on my PC anyway and its most likely not stopping... steam FTW

How much did you get for it? I'm thinking of selling my xbox with all my games but I don't want to trade them into a games shop as I'll only get like £1 a game, or less.

Its not just gaming. Or Testing.

Technology in general works off of contractors, its fucked up and burns a lot of people out.

The whole thing disgusts me and I don't have high hopes for the future of the industry. Its just going to get worse for employees.

Yup.

Contracting isnt just a job that temps do for $11, a lot of the contractors at my place are on something ridiculous like £300-£400 pounds a day and a lot of the bullshit that article describes applies to all of them too. That said they are compensated by money. Its the new guys who get screwed over and feel more screwed over because the money doesnt compensate the shit.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
That is classic Microsoft right there.
Instead of adding those skins to another endgame specialization to reward the few remaining players, they tie it to some stupid promotion to sell toys.

It is really hard to think positively about the future of Xbox when crap like this happens to its flagship series.

You know, it doesn't excuse it, but I almost guarantee these were set in stone way before launch. This isn't something MS just said "hey, let's sell toys with skins in a few months!"

Be nice if they added them in for everyone as a challenge or something and those who bought the toys just got them right away.

Hit 10,000 career multiplayer kills for Didact skin, or something.

You know, it doesn't excuse it, but I almost guarantee these were set in stone way before launch. This isn't something MS just said "hey, let's sell toys with skins in a few months!"

Be nice if they added them in for everyone as a challenge or something and those who bought the toys just got them right away.

Hit 10,000 career multiplayer kills for Didact skin, or something.

But its only with McFarlane toys, Megablocks,Micro Ops (eewwww) and Play Arts are out of this "promotion"

More like they finally settle a contract with them and give them the codes to print on theirs toys.

Ugh, Just spent the last 5 hours between Doctors Practices and the Hospital.

Asthma is terrible

Wait till the needle allergic tests on your back.

I'm a little hesitant about dropping $60+ on the sequel to an award winning, 9.8 scoring (IGN!!!) FPS title that I only played 24 hours of and can't even be bothered to finish the campaign or redeem the season pass/LE stuff.
The funny thing is: aren't people always saying those damn things, when the sequel sucked and still buy the next game of the franchise? I can confidently say the majority of the people who are saying "they won't buy 343i's next Halo game" will still get hyped by the pre-information stuff and buy 343i's second baby. Some will stay strong, others won't. I think I should save some posts for the future.

Ken

The funny thing is: aren't people always saying those damn things, when the sequel sucked and still buy the next game of the franchise? I can confidently say the majority of the people who are saying "they won't buy 343i's next Halo game" will still get hyped by the pre-information stuff and buy 343i's second baby. Some will stay strong, others won't. I think I should save some posts for the future.

Bungie.net says I have 250 some hours of Halo Reach so I probably believed Halo was still salvageable at the time, Armor Lock and all.

In response to your post, Halo 4 is the "sequel [that] sucked" for me so I'll just wait and if Halo 5 is well-received, I'll consider Halo 6, but I'm not buying the sequel to Halo 4.

You should save these posts, for sure. Or maybe even make a list of people who will and won't buy Halo 5.

IHaveIce

Banned
Franchises I stopped buying after collecting them(though I may rented them):
Assassins Creed
Gears of War
Dead Space
Lost Planet
Killzone
Uncharted
Resistance
Kingdom Hearts
Call Of Duty
Ratchet & Clank
Sly
Crash and Spyro games ( ugh were the newer ones crap)

This time I'm serious, if Halo 5 looks like no improvement Halo is finished for me. At least as games.

I also talked with someone about it already ( I think it was Kittens) how Halo 5 wouldn't even be a system seller anymore for me for the X1, I'm really thirsty for new IPs.

A new Space arena FPS that would take Halo's spot is more than welcome for me.

EDIT: goddamn bottom of the pagepost

TheOddOne

This gonna be gud.

iibuLKklStyLk.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom