• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT| Not a thread about Halo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghazi

Netflix relies on servers. Amazon relies on servers. YouTube relies on servers. Google relies on servers.

People need to chill til E3.

Yeah, and now I can't redownload or play an Arcade game I payed for and played frequently.

Well yeah it's not backwards compatible, that doesn't really have anything to do with servers though.
The game's servers were pulled so MS pulled the entire damn game off their servers even though it had an offline mode. Though you're right and that doesn't really pertain to the subject and I'm still angry about it.

kylej

Banned
also get hype for all time record low population

U3UpXGw.png

I thought the 45 minute SD stream with Tashi was going to provide a good 20,000-30,000+ person bump but I was mistaken

Booshka

also get hype for all time record low population

I thought the 45 minute SD stream with Tashi was going to provide a good 20,000-30,000+ person bump but I was mistaken

Seriously, why was in-game quality so fucking terrible, the Sudds have better stream quality than the "gaming lab" at 343 industries on the Xbox Campus.

Mix

Tonight was great. My dad cried so I cried. First male Ford to graduate in my family in 5 generations. Pretty big shit

reggie

Banned
breaking bad is pretty boring. anything involving skylar or walt jr is an instant snooze

Skylar. Oh god. Worst character ever.

Promising with Spielberg on it though.

You realize this means nothing right? Spielberg lends his name to shit now for free monies and does nothing.

Falling Skies (2011) TV series (producer)
Terra Nova (2011) TV series (producer)
Smash (2012) TV series (executive)
The River (2012) TV series (executive)
Halo (2013) TV series (executive)

Halo TV will be shit.

Madness

I think the Xbox One hate is warranted because of the BS reveal and the fact that we still don't have concrete answers. Look at the doublespeak they are doing. The rumors persisted for months, and now we still don't have much of a clue, and probably won't till launch.

My xbox hasn't been disconnected from Live since like 2005, I don't buy used games and I don't trade them in, so obviously that doesn't affect me at all.

But I can empathize with those who it may affect, and also note the anti-consumer aspects of the console. Always online provides zilch, let's be truthful here. Used games provides no tangible benefit either. It's snake oil selling to suggest that games will be cheaper or low piracy means costs will be lower etc. It's about maximizing profit for game devs and publishers. It's a little too convenient how EA drops online passes right as the Xbox One pretty much confirms new games only and used games with a fee.

We can all only vote with out wallets though, so Microsoft better have a tremendous E3 with great gameplay trailers or new IP reveals etc.

Truth be told, I'd rather stay Xbox, carry over my gamertag, friends list etc.

Madness

On an unrelated note, that Saints Row IV boxart looks amazing. While I liked Saints Row 3 and easily out over 40+ hours into it, the story did sort of come apart near the end. Don't mind the goofy aspects, just some coherence and unified story from start to finish.

Going to be great going from Saints Row 4 in August to GTA V in September.

I don't think the Xbox One hate is warranted.

Most of the hate for the reveal stems from "LOL NO GAMES TV TV TV SPORTS." Obviously, Microsoft said a billion times before May 21st that the reveal isn't about games, but the hardware and it's features. Obviously the Xbox One will play games (and they showcased it with CoD, Forza, EA Sports Titles, and Quantum Break. They also emphasized that, oh my gosh no way! It can do more than play video games! Who would of guessed a system, in 2013! Does more than games!

E3 is about games. 15 First Party Exclusives will be shown at E3. + Exclusive Third Party Games. Microsoft sounds like they have the gaming part of the console war won this year.

Ken

Most of the hate for the reveal stems from "LOL NO GAMES TV TV TV SPORTS." Obviously, Microsoft said a billion times before May 21st that the reveal isn't about games, but the hardware and it's features. Obviously the Xbox One will play games (and they showcased it with CoD, Forza, EA Sports Titles, and Quantum Break. They also emphasized that, oh my gosh no way! It can do more than play video games! Who would of guessed a system, in 2013! Does more than games!

E3 is about games. 15 First Party Exclusives will be shown at E3. + Exclusive Third Party Games. Microsoft sounds like they have the gaming part of the console war won this year.

"E3 is about games and not the boring stuff so we're going to get out the boring stuff at this conference first."
*says nothing concrete about the boring stuff

reggie

Banned

I don't care about games. Ok, I do, but every console is going to have games, its inevitable. Im more interested in seeing what the hardware can do and what they have in plan for dashboard features, etc.

Sadly it seems the only vision Microsoft has for the future is a weakly implemented feature for a dying format (TV). Shame.

You compare the vision they had with the 360 to the One and it's night and day. Microsoft has become complacent.

Fracas

#fuckonami

Come on son

Sweet jesus

I'm sure the system will have games I want, but that's not the point. You've seen the stream of threads about the system's DRM and Microsoft's lack of clarity. That is the issue.

Come on son

Sweet jesus

I'm sure the system will have games I want, but that's not the point. You've seen the stream of threads about the system's DRM and Microsoft's lack of clarity. That is the issue.

So... People jumping to conclusions then?

Honestly, I don't even care about the system's DRM. Block used games? Okay, I don't buy my games used (very often) and I rarely let people borrow my games. Yes, I'll lose the right (if that's really a right, well that's up for debate) to do that with the Xbox One, but I'm willing to accept that. I know some users won't be willing to, but I'm sure majority of gamers will be willing to accept it, even if they don't want to. I know the cries against DRM are strong right now, but in the reality of things, the moment Sony reveals that they're also blocking used games, gamers will accept it. Majority of gamers, as much as they threaten too, won't quit gaming. They won't go and upgrade their PC/Buy a PC. They won't buy a Wii U. 90% will go ahead and buy a PS4 or Xbox One.

Not that it really matters, since used games won't be blocked. The system seems to work exactly how it does on Xbox Live currently. That's good in my opinion. You buy one game? Hey everyone on your Xbox can play it! You want to play it at your friends house? Hey you can! Because it's linked to your account and system! Want your friend to play it by himself, and get the full experience without paying for it? Well... hey, you can't. Because that is, by definition, stealing.

Definition of steal
verb (past stole /stōl/; past participle stolen /ˈstōlən/)

1 [with object] take (another person’s property) without permission or legal right
and without intending to return it:thieves stole her bicycle

In this case, the property is the "data" on the disc, the license to the game. All of that is legally Activision/EA/Microsoft/etc. Just because you paid $60 for the right to use said software (for yourself, for the record) doesn't give you the right to allow your friend to play said game without paying.

And besides, used games are able to be bought, and used, just now Microsoft and the Publisher get paid for it, not just Gamestop who is able to get away with it because they're wasn't an effective way to stop them. Private selling is dead though, and like I said, it only existed because there wasn't a way to stop it. Now there is, and it's going to be used, like it or not.

Wither or not that's fine is up for debate, but it's happening, and I don't have a problem with it. I don't see what's the issue. Yes, we are no longer allowed to do what we could have in the past, freely share games, privately sell, but in reality, we never had the "right" to do so. Just we couldn't be stopped from doing it. Now we can be stopped, and will. It's happening. Some users see problem with it. I don't. I'm accepting this. I'm buying an Xbox One Day One, going to the midnight launch, buying Forza Motorsports 5, and going back home to say "Xbox, On. Start Forza Motorsports 5!" and I'm excited to do so.

If you, or anyone else on GAF isn't excited, or is against the DRM, that's also fine. Doesn't mean you're right, or that any of the Xbox One hate is warranted.

it sounds like they won it already? oh, i missed that one!

This is going by my assumption (That could be wrong). From what I've seen during the Playstation Meeting, Sony doesn't have very many exclusives to show. Hey, I don't know! They might! Maybe they'll have more than Microsoft, and are just going to wait till E3 to show them all off. Either way, Quantity Wise, seems Microsoft won. Quality Wise? Well... Forza Motorsports 5, CrackDown 3, Banjo Threeie (Hope :p), Mirror's Edge 2, and Quantum Break all excite me more than Drive Club, Knack, and whatever else Sony showed I can't even recall because of how little it attracted me.

You realize this means nothing right? Spielberg lends his name to shit now for free monies and does nothing.

Falling Skies (2011) TV series (producer)
Terra Nova (2011) TV series (producer)
Smash (2012) TV series (executive)
The River (2012) TV series (executive)
Halo (2013) TV series (executive)

Halo TV will be shit.
But but but but one of those four is still on the air!
I don't care about games. Ok, I do, but every console is going to have games, its inevitable. Im more interested in seeing what the hardware can do and what they have in plan for dashboard features, etc.

Sadly it seems the only vision Microsoft has for the future is a weakly implemented feature for a dying format (TV). Shame.

You compare the vision they had with the 360 to the One and it's night and day. Microsoft has become complacent.

The vision they had for the 360? The original marketplace that launched with the 360 was designed to have about 300 items. Let me repeat that, 300 total items on the Xbox Live Marketplace.

Complain all you want about fishy details about online requirements and used games, but I fail to see how MS is complacent with the new console when it's very clearly designed to own the living room in every way. The word ambitious fits that better I think.

Madness

Why isn't the hate warranted? Did they really say 'a billion times' that it was about the hardware and features not games? Because that's what they said after. Before, they dropped vague hints of the new generation revealed, told us it'll only be an hour long, to wait for the better reveal at E3. They never said before 'lol, let's get this television shit out of the way before E3'...

And even then, they failed because they didn't give us any concrete details. Half the information we have now, we got from half-assed interviews with execs after the reveal. What kinds of television features are these? Is it US only? Can someone speak in non-english and get the same kinect voice features? What does always online consist of? What kind of APU is it? How much RAM is provided to devs for games? For OS? What about used games and always connected? What does it mean?

Sure some questions are answered now, but you figure they'd be answered at the reveal. You've got sites like wired, IGN, and many others begging devs for an interview to clarify, you've got one person saying something, another person another. It was a pretty poor reveal.

How did Microsoft win with its exclusives when you haven't even seen what they are? They could be some random kinectimals type games as well.

So to counterpoint, I'll admit some Xbox One hate is unwarranted and we should wait for E3, but I'll also say that those who think that MS will easily have it in the bag at E3 could be mistaken as well.

What if PS4 has free online multiplayer, no used games DRM, and costs the same as Xbox One?

Edit: give me a break that you think lending your game to a friend or family member to play by themselves is stealing.

BRB guys, I borrowed my Dad's truck the other day, I'm a thief. Gonna turn myself in.

I understand the position of saying the new used game policy/DRM doesn't personally effect you. That's fine, whatever.

But I can't comprehend the thought process behind a consumer's decision to put the needs of a corporation ahead of their own.

Fracas

#fuckonami

So since you don't have an issue with it, I can't?

For fucks sake, I can't even bring a game to a friend's place if they don't have an internet connection. LANning is gone forever. From what has been reported, split screen play now costs player 2 $59.99. If your internet connection goes out while you're out buying a game, you can't even play it until it's back up. The console itself becomes useless 24 hours off an internet connection. I brought this up before, but what will happen when next gen ends, and is no longer supported? Does your Xbox One become totally useless, and your game library is then lost?

As for the used games bit, why are you so willing to concede the right to used games? I don't get why you're so eager to pass up an avenue of acquiring games. Maybe you don't buy used or borrow, but there's a significant of consumers that do, myself included. I even started playing Halo with a used copy of CE and H2. I then went on to buy 3, Reach, and 4 at launch for full price.

I don't see why you're defending Microsoft at your own and others' expense. It's cool that these measures might not bother you, but they do affect so many others. To say that being against these measures is wrong...it makes no sense.

Why isn't the hate warranted? Did they really say 'a billion times' that it was about the hardware and features not games? Because that's what they said after. Before, they dropped vague hints of the new generation revealed, told us it'll only be an hour long, to wait for the better reveal at E3. They never said before 'lol, let's get this television shit out of the way before E3'...

And even then, they failed because they didn't give us any concrete details. Half the information we have now, we got from half-assed interviews with execs after the reveal. What kinds of television features are these? Is it US only? Can someone speak in non-english and get the same kinect voice features? What does always online consist of? What kind of APU is it? How much RAM is provided to devs for games? For OS? What about used games and always connected? What does it mean?

Sure some questions are answered now, but you figure they'd be answered at the reveal. You've got sites like wired, IGN, and many others begging devs for an interview to clarify, you've got one person saying something, another person another. It was a pretty poor reveal.

How did Microsoft win with its exclusives when you haven't even seen what they are? They could be some random kinectimals type games as well.

So to counterpoint, I'll admit some Xbox One hate is unwarranted and we should wait for E3, but I'll also say that those who think that MS will easily have it in the bag at E3 could be mistaken as well.

What if PS4 has free online multiplayer, no used games DRM, and costs the same as Xbox One?

Edit: give me a break that you think lending your game to a friend or family member to play by themselves is stealing.

BRB guys, I borrowed my Dad's truck the other day, I'm a thief. Gonna turn myself in.

1. Yes they did say many times before the reveal it was a two stage process, the reveal and then E3 for gaming specifically.

2. Gamers are just jumping the gun and are salty about the reveal being more entertainment based.

3. Yes X1 is going to own the living room for many reasons as it appeals to parents, family friendly games (Wii demographics), gamers for game (E3), movie player, apps/streaming, TV etc.

4. The Kinect built in is a genius move and it really is the most elegant home entertainment solution going, many are similar but none as complete or refined such as; night vision, player memory/sensing, controller/position swapping, field of vision, depth of detail, mic filtering etc.

5. When E3 hits and once again we see consoles are pretty much on par in terms of hardware and what is more important what developers do with that. When a title is multi-platform there is usually very little difference due to the same generation opposing console hardware. The reality is the art, techniques & game engine by the developer are relatively the same uses across the hardware options irrespective of grunt horsepower differences.

6. I see nothing the PS4 can do that the X1 isn't capable of. I see the huge backend Azure cloud service ingrained directly into X1 that isn't possible on the same levels or backed by the corporate Ms side with PS4, Sony will never have the infrastructure of corporate Microsoft. There is no way Sony would invest billions for a free online service on just a games console where Microsoft can leverage Azure across website hosting, database serving, big data analysis, redundancy services, web services and far too many "cost sharing" win/win configurations at the business, R&D or services level.

7. X1 has already been said that you can allow a friend to play your copy of the game. Something about a limited number of uses before you have to pay to use second hand copies and/or your profile being active on a console at time. These are the sorts of specific details that will be answered at E3, the reveal wasn't the right place to delve into all that otherwise it would have been games focused. I expect concrete details across the board at E3 in terms of games.

8. I could care less if Sony has a free to play multiplayer as long as X1/Azure has regional servers in my local area. Far and away for recent years I been wanting to hand MS/XBL more monthly money to let me lease my own local server. Now that is becoming a reality Sony's online platform is a joke to me, plain and simple. Unless Sony have some major infrastructure announcements for dedicated servers that point alone has me buying X1 over PS4 hands down.

I understand the position of saying the new used game policy/DRM doesn't personally effect you. That's fine, whatever.

But I can't comprehend the thought process behind a consumer's decision to put the needs of a corporation ahead of their own.

On one hand we gamers symapthise with developers closing all the time or staff cutbacks but on the other hand we don't want to have them paid for every single player that plays the game? I find it completely acceptable to sign my profile in when I want to take a game to a friends house and play it without additional charge. I also find it completely acceptable that if my friend wants the game disc there for 1 week so they can play the campaign or whatever fully then they should pay for it themselves.

It's the same with MP3's, there are those that pay for their music and those that free load. Further it's similar with movies in that you can't take your movie DVD/Blu ray and publicly display it to 1000 viewers, you have to license it for that but you can take it to a friends house and watch it.

No. They said it before. They didn't say "Hey we'll prominently feature Television." Because they didn't say anything at all. It was all meant to be a surprise. They didn't want to hint or leak or talk about anything before the reveal.

Litterally, this is an exact quote from Aaron Greenburg:
"We have so much goodness that there's no way we could have packed it all into one event," Greenberg said.

"The best way I can describe it is: We're really going to tell one story across two events," he added. "So we're going to start on the 21st [of May]; and really that's about revealing the next Xbox platform and our vision for the future of games, the future of entertainment."

AND

Aaron Greenberg said that his company will roll out its next-generation video game hardware in two steps — first at a special event held tomorrow at the Redmond, Wash., Microsoft campus, and then at a more game-centric event during the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in June.

They DID what they said. Showed the Xbox One, showed it's features. Showed what it's capable of, and showed us a FEW games so we have a good idea of what's to come. E3 is ALL about the game.

You really are wrong, there is no reason you or anyone else should be upset that the Xbox Reveal wasn't about games. No one should call the reveal bad because it didn't feature games all throughout. It was expected, it was stated before. We were told about it before hand. You can't be frustrated about it, and you can not, at all, call it a disappointment or bad because of it. For any other reason, you can, but because it didn't feature as many games as gamers would like? You can't.

We didn't get an concrete details because Microsoft themselves aren't sure. That sounds ridiculous, and I agree. At this point Microsoft should be 100% sure on what they're doing, but they're not, that's the reality. We got information that wasn't complete, that might not be correct. We're attacking Microsoft BECAUSE of this info, and we shouldn't be.

Television? It was to showcase what it can do, the details don't have to be 100% given, that isn't part of show casing the system and what it can do.

The Kinect part, you do know current Kinect works in languages that aren't English, right ;P You can probably infer that Kinect isn't English only.

APU and RAM? No one cares about that aside from gamers, let's be honest. Everyone was aware that the Xbox Reveal wasn't only for gamers, it was for every Xbox Fan. Casual and Hardcore, it's good Microsoft didn't waste times going in depth with the specs. All the majority of Xbox One buyers will want to know (if even this! I doubt anyone but hardcore gamers cares about specs) is the RAM amount (Just amount, not type) and the CPU Cores, and that's it.

Details aren't 100%, Microsoft is working on it, let's wait and see instead of wait and attack while waiting.

Faith? Crackdown 3 hint, Forza Motorsports 5, Mirrors Edge 2 maybe, thanks to a leak. Quantum Break, Obviously a Halo Game, and a Rare game being revived! Honestly, me being optimistic and hoping for the best is no more silly than users being pessimistic and saying "15 Kinect games"
Everyone is obviously biased right now. I'm clearly being really in favor for the Xbox One, I won't deny it. I just choose to be optimistic instead of neutral or pessimistic. At this point, I was sure I was buying an Xbox One the moment my favorite, and in my opinion, the best racing series ever, was confirmed for launch.
Then PS4 has advantages over the Xbox One. That's awesome! Enjoy Sony fans, and me, because I am buying a PS4 at launch as well! Just because Sony's PS4 might be better than Microsoft's Xbox One doesn't mean anything. Both are game systems that'll have awesome exclusive, and I'll play both. :)

Cars and Video Games aren't even comparable. See, when you buy a Car, that car is now Legally yours and under your name. Games aren't like that. When you buy a game, you just bought the right to play the game.

And believe me, I don't think borrowing a game is theft, heck my Manger is letting me borrow MLB The Show tomorrow for the PS3! Awesome! Just by definition, it is theft. Even then, it's not serious theft that'll have the police crashing down your door with a warrant for your arrest in hand. Heck, some people don't even see it as theft. Just by definition, it is.

So since you don't have an issue with it, I can't?

For fucks sake, I can't even bring a game to a friend's place if they don't have an internet connection. LANning is gone forever. From what has been reported, split screen play now costs player 2 $59.99. If your internet connection goes out while you're out buying a game, you can't even play it until it's back up. The console itself becomes useless 24 hours off an internet connection. I brought this up before, but what will happen when next gen ends, and is no longer supported? Does your Xbox One become totally useless, and your game library is then lost?

As for the used games bit, why are you so willing to concede the right to used games? I don't get why you're so eager to pass up an avenue of acquiring games. Maybe you don't buy used or borrow, but there's a significant of consumers that do, myself included. I even started playing Halo with a used copy of CE and H2. I then went on to buy 3, Reach, and 4 at launch for full price.

I don't see why you're defending Microsoft at your own and others' expense. It's cool that these measures might not bother you, but they do affect so many others. To say that being against these measures is wrong...it makes no sense.

I'm not saying you can't have an issue with it. Feel free to. Protest it, stand up for your consumer rights that you may or may not have. Fight for what you believe in! Don't let companies boss you around like this! Just to me, giving up my "rights" to play Forza Motorsports 5, isn't an issue.

And no, it doesn't cost player 2 $59.99 to Split Screen. Again, the game is licensed to both your system, and your account. BAM! You're entire family can FREELY play your game for FREE, if they use the same Xbox! And the console doesn't become useless after 24 hours... it just can't play games lol :p I have faith in my Internet. I have faith in the Google Fiber I will soon have. My Internet has never gone out for more than 24 hours, and I have faith it never will. Xbox One obviously has risks. Wither the risk is worth taking, is up to you. If you don't have confidence in your Internet being reliable, you should probably go PS4, no ones stopping you. Buy the system with better specs that better supports your life/internet/wants.

Also... you can't really LAN in real life if you only have one copy of the game ;P There's no difference. Want to LAN? You'll need to have one copy of the game per system. Only difference now is the game is digital. Where is difference? I don't see it?

Like I said, buy the system that better supports your style of gaming. I don't buy used, nor borrow games often/let people borrow my games. I still do those occasionally, but not often enough that it'll affect me. I'm willing to lose it in order to play Forza Motorsports 5, you may not, so don't take the risk and purchase the Xbox One.

Being against these "measures" isn't wrong, but I don't see why people would protest or complain when it's an optional, "luxury" item. No one is forcing you to buy the Xbox One. These changes are going to happen, thankfully you don't have to buy the Xbox One! Buy a PS4/Wii U/PC Gaming! If the Xbox One was a forced item you have to buy, I can see why the complaints (they're not even complaints, they're valid concerns) are flooding in, but since it's something no one has to buy... I don't understand it.

Madness

1. Yes they did say many times before the reveal it was a two stage process, the reveal and then E3 for gaming specifically.

They said they would reveal the next generation and then follow up at E3. I never said it wasn't a two stage reveal with E3 more focused for gaming. I said they didn't say it a billion times beforehand how this reveal was only hardware/entertainment focused mainly. No one had a clue they would announce this television stuff this much.

2. Gamers are just jumping the gun and are salty about the reveal being more entertainment based.

Yes I agree they are jumping the gun. I never said they aren't. I said though that their complaints have validity

3. Yes X1 is going to own the living room for many reasons as it appeals to parents, family friendly games (Wii demographics), gamers for game (E3), movie player, apps/streaming, TV etc.

No it isn't. You are jumping the gun yourself by saying this. It's a fallacy to think it will. Look at the Wii. Most sales out of this gen, but did it really make an impact? The lowest attach rate, lowest software sales aside from a handful of games etc. What's stopping PS4 from having family friendly games? If anything, I'd say the used games/always online/and paid subscription service are a huge roadblock for families.

4. The Kinect built in is a genius move and it really is the most elegant home entertainment solution going, many are similar but none as complete or refined such as; night vision, player memory/sensing, controller/position swapping, field of vision, depth of detail, mic filtering etc.

The Kinect went largely ignored this gen after much fanfare as well. It could be ignored next gen as well. Some features such as voice control, face recognition can work well, but there are many concerns still. People praised the 3DS 3D display at launch and before, and now most people play with it off.

5. When E3 hits and once again we see consoles are pretty much on par in terms of hardware and what is more important what developers do with that. When a title is multi-platform there is usually very little difference due to the same generation opposing console hardware. The reality is the art, techniques & game engine by the developer are relatively the same uses across the hardware options irrespective of grunt horsepower differences.

We haven't gotten concrete details but from what people are saying, there could be quite a significant difference in GPU capabilities between the two. I won't deny MS can coerce developers to build for their system and port to PS4, but from what I've seen, the PS4 is the more capable machine.

6. I see nothing the PS4 can do that the X1 isn't capable of. I see the huge backend Azure cloud service ingrained directly into X1 that isn't possible on the same levels or backed by the corporate Ms side with PS4, Sony will never have the infrastructure of corporate Microsoft. There is no way Sony would invest billions for a free online service on just a games console where Microsoft can leverage Azure across website hosting, database serving, big data analysis, redundancy services, web services and far too many "cost sharing" win/win configurations at the business, R&D or services level.

I'll admit I don't know much about this and I agree, very few can compete with MS in terms of web services, software etc. Will need to know more.

7. X1 has already been said that you can allow a friend to play your copy of the game. Something about a limited number of uses before you have to pay to use second hand copies and/or your profile being active on a console at time. These are the sorts of specific details that will be answered at E3, the reveal wasn't the right place to delve into all that otherwise it would have been games focused. I expect concrete details across the board at E3 in terms of games.

Nothing to add

8. I could care less if Sony has a free to play multiplayer as long as X1/Azure has regional servers in my local area. Far and away for recent years I been wanting to hand MS/XBL more monthly money to let me lease my own local server. Now that is becoming a reality Sony's online platform is a joke to me, plain and simple. Unless Sony have some major infrastructure announcements for dedicated servers that point alone has me buying X1 over PS4 hands down.

Anecdotal at best. I know a least 20 people in real life who chose PS3 precisely because they didn't want to pay to play, so to speak.

On one hand we gamers symapthise with developers closing all the time or staff cutbacks but on the other hand we don't want to have them paid for every single player that plays the game? I find it completely acceptable to sign my profile in when I want to take a game to a friends house and play it without additional charge. I also find it completely acceptable that if my friend wants the game disc there for 1 week so they can play the campaign or whatever fully then they should pay for it themselves.

It's the same with MP3's, there are those that pay for their music and those that free load. Further it's similar with movies in that you can't take your movie DVD/Blu ray and publicly display it to 1000 viewers, you have to license it for that but you can take it to a friends house and watch it.

Yes you can. You just cannot charge for it without paying money. I can pitch a tent tomorrow, buy The Dark Knight Rises Blu-ray and show it to thousands of people free of charge without anyone saying anything.

I do sympathize with the plight of developers and cutbacks. But it's really not my concern, no more than it is for any product I buy. If they are unhappy with the profits, speak to the retailers or the publishers. I find it completely unacceptable that after the first sale, when the devs/publishers get their money, they are entitled to money for every theoretical sale after. Maglite isn't calling me asking for money because I loaned a flashlight, 20th Century Fox isn't calling me asking for money because I loaned my friend the Star Wars blu-rays to watch etc. BMW won't call me demanding cash when I decide to sell my vehicle etc. Why are game devs entitled to more money after initial sale?

My answers in BOLD.

heckfu

Banned
Don't high schools usually go to school well into June?

Down here they've been out for well over a week.

But going along with the continuing theme, I don't see why everyone doesn't reserve judgment UNTIL we know everything? I can agree that the lack of concrete details is annoying as hell but I'm not swearing off the console until I know everything is terrible.

Down here they've been out for well over a week.

But going along with the continuing theme, I don't see why everyone doesn't reserve judgment UNTIL we know everything? I can agree that the lack of concrete details is annoying as hell but I'm not swearing off the console until I know everything is terrible.

You'd know trying to scoop the high school chicks AMIRIGHT

But yeah I think they go until the third week of June here.

Agreed on the aspect of your post that doesn't involve high school.

The local HS has been out for 2 weeks now as have the colleges. I've never had a school year that went into June. They've always started in early August too though, so take from that what you will.

That's how college was for me (mid-August to early May), although most of the colleges here are actually quarter school on a late-September to mid-June schedule.

Madness

No. They said it before. They didn't say "Hey we'll prominently feature Television." Because they didn't say anything at all. It was all meant to be a surprise. They didn't want to hint or leak or talk about anything before the reveal.

Litterally, this is an exact quote from Aaron Greenburg:

AND

They DID what they said. Showed the Xbox One, showed it's features. Showed what it's capable of, and showed us a FEW games so we have a good idea of what's to come. E3 is ALL about the game.
You said they said a billion times before the event, it was all about television and hardware. I said, they only said it would be a two part reveal, with more gaming related stuff at E3. Tone down the hyperbole.

You really are wrong, there is no reason you or anyone else should be upset that the Xbox Reveal wasn't about games. No one should call the reveal bad because it didn't feature games all throughout. It was expected, it was stated before. We were told about it before hand. You can't be frustrated about it, and you can not, at all, call it a disappointment or bad because of it. For any other reason, you can, but because it didn't feature as many games as gamers would like? You can't.

I never said I was upset it wasn't about games. I said people had every right to upset about the poor reveal, and it was poor, with not only fanboys, but it was unanimous that people disliked the reveal. People can have a different opinion

We didn't get an concrete details because Microsoft themselves aren't sure. That sounds ridiculous, and I agree. At this point Microsoft should be 100% sure on what they're doing, but they're not, that's the reality. We got information that wasn't complete, that might not be correct. We're attacking Microsoft BECAUSE of this info, and we shouldn't be.

I'm not seeing your outrage here? you admit Microsoft isn't sure and that it's ridiculous, but then you say we shouldn't be upset or attack Microsoft because they don't really know or have given us half-truth answers?

Television? It was to showcase what it can do, the details don't have to be 100% given, that isn't part of show casing the system and what it can do.

So, if this was the reveal that was non-gaming, wouldn't it make sense for you to completely explain the enterainment aspects? Will they be followed up during E3 and after? Of course, but it should have been better explained in the reveal.

The Kinect part, you do know current Kinect works in languages that aren't English, right ;P You can probably infer that Kinect isn't English only.

Once again, reread what I wrote, I was talking about how Kinect could be used to change channels, play shows etc. I know there is non-English support. I was wondering if they'd have the television functions for non-native English speakers.

APU and RAM? No one cares about that aside from gamers, let's be honest. Everyone was aware that the Xbox Reveal wasn't only for gamers, it was for every Xbox Fan. Casual and Hardcore, it's good Microsoft didn't waste times going in depth with the specs. All the majority of Xbox One buyers will want to know (if even this! I doubt anyone but hardcore gamers cares about specs) is the RAM amount (Just amount, not type) and the CPU Cores, and that's it.

Let's be honest, you don't speak for anyone. Plenty of people care about it aside from gamers. Especially if it's significantly weaker, Sony will make a bigger issue out of it. Just because you don't care, doesn't mean all do. Stop generalizing.

Details aren't 100%, Microsoft is working on it, let's wait and see instead of wait and attack while waiting.

No one is attacking here.
Faith? Crackdown 3 hint, Forza Motorsports 5, Mirrors Edge 2 maybe, thanks to a leak. Quantum Break, Obviously a Halo Game, and a Rare game being revived! Honestly, me being optimistic and hoping for the best is no more silly than users being pessimistic and saying "15 Kinect games"

Everyone is obviously biased right now. I'm clearly being really in favor for the Xbox One, I won't deny it. I just choose to be optimistic instead of neutral or pessimistic. At this point, I was sure I was buying an Xbox One the moment my favorite, and in my opinion, the best racing series ever, was confirmed for launch.

Then PS4 has advantages over the Xbox One. That's awesome! Enjoy Sony fans, and me, because I am buying a PS4 at launch as well! Just because Sony's PS4 might be better than Microsoft's Xbox One doesn't mean anything. Both are game systems that'll have awesome exclusive, and I'll play both. :)

Cars and Video Games aren't even comparable. See, when you buy a Car, that car is now Legally yours and under your name. Games aren't like that. When you buy a game, you just bought the right to play the game.

And believe me, I don't think borrowing a game is theft, heck my Manger is letting me borrow MLB The Show tomorrow for the PS3! Awesome! Just by definition, it is theft. Even then, it's not serious theft that'll have the police crashing down your door with a warrant for your arrest in hand. Heck, some people don't even see it as theft. Just by definition, it is.

How is it by definition theft, when it isn't theft? If there is no law that classifies lending of consumer products as theft, then it isn't theft. And that's awesome your manager is letting you borrow that game, you know what's not awesome, that you won't be able to do that next gen, so why the hell are you defending it as if it's a good thing? Where is this line of thought coming from where a consumer product is not really yours to do with what you please? Okay I understand going forward, most games will be like that, but do I have to cheer for it as a good thing when it does?

Forgive me HolaGAF, for I know not what I do. Speedy, my answers in Bold.

My answers in BOLD.

You're a logical person and your answers reflect that, no issue with most of what you say or your opinion.

One point of major difference though is yes you could take your movie and display it to a massive audience publicly but it is NOT legal at all. All movies have such IP rights and public display has to be licensed. The onus lies with you the consumer and if you're caught doing that then you are/may be liable for insane fines/fees. For example even retail stores have had notices/fines served due to displaying a full movie in a shop time and again. It's not a highly enforceable law but it is the law the way I describe in just about any western/developed country and most others too.

Another example is the council (govt) for my house does a bi-monthly outdoor cinema experience for public consumptions, it took months to get off the ground and they can only show certain movies where they, the council, have paid the royalties or been absolved from the cost/fine.

I think a lot of this anger/confusion is the developers/publishers wanting to get paid while not completely shutting you out from playing at a friends house or trading a second hand game. They deserve revenue from second hand game sales as it detracts from their bottom line but we should be allowed to share/play/entice friends to play games too. They'll provide for a happy medium you can save the torches and pitchforks already.

Forgive me HolaGAF, for I know not what I do. Speedy, my answers in Bold.

Not trying to fill the page up but I think it's an important issue for gamers to understand/discuss.

heckfu

Banned
Out of curiousity, and this is directed mostly to fracas because he's the one i've seen most vocal from here, but what are you going to do if ps4 goes the same route as xbox with drm? i assume xbox due to brand loyalty, exclusives, etc, but just curious.

Madness

I know a lot of folks here don't really visit the other Halo 4 thread, but any folks here who don't play halo 4 at all, going to play and try out the new settings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom