• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy Birthday To The PLAYSTATION 1 & DREAMCAST!

Which system did you buy Day 1 (choose one)?

• Sony PlayStation 1

Votes: 18 15.0%
  • SEGA Dreamcast

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • Both!

Votes: 21 17.5%
  • Neither!

Votes: 45 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Welp gang, it's September 9th and you know what that means. On this day in 1995, the Sony PlayStation 1 saw its release in North America and would proceed to change the course of gaming forever, setting Sony's course for dominance in console gaming.

51Ojfhv3l7L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Meanwhile, only four years later, the SEGA Dreamcast would also choose September 9th (in the famous 9/9/99 marketing campaign) to reignite SEGA's gaming fortunes in the North American market. Things unfortunately didn't go as planned, but the system is still fondly remembered to this day.

dreamcast.jpg

I wasn't there at the launch of these systems, and while my parents got little me a PS1 in early '98, I never did end up getting a Dreamcast. Up to that point my only SEGA console was the Genesis (which I loved).

However, it's always fun hearing stories about people who were there to get systems at their launch, and since this is the PS1 & Dreamcast's birthdays, maybe those of you who picked either (or both) up on Day 1 have some interesting experiences to share 👍

GrayChild

I was still in kindergarten when PS1 came out. Was just starting elementary school when Dreamcast came out. Yet some of my most cherished gaming memories are from titles released for these platforms.

King Dazzar

The Dreamcast was day one. And ended up being my first online addictive multiplayer experience. Playing Quake on an expensive dial up. Cost me an arm and a leg for a while in phone charges. And we had MSR with real world time of day in game. Yeah it was great for a while.

Loved the PS1 too, but it wasnt a day one for moi.

Happy birthday Dreamcast!
Very Funny Oops GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos

I had a Mega Drive and some games back than. But when I got a PS1, and played Final Fantasy 8, it changed everything, fell in love with videogames.

Too young to buy any of the consoles mentioned in the OP. That said, the first console I ever bought was the Xbox 360 (the revised Jasper model), and that was some time after its release.
Peak Xbox. The first game i played when i got one was Prey.

Last edited:

nikos

PS1 released around the time my family moved back to the US from Europe. I remember going to the mall and seeing Battle Arena Toshinden playing on a TV at Electronics Boutique. It was mind blowing considering I had been living in a country where most kids didn't even have a console and I was playing my Genesis and Game Gear. It was probably right around the launch of the console considering school had already started. I remember renting one from Blockbuster and somehow ended up with one shortly after. I don't remember going to buy it or receiving it as a gift, which is weird because I can recall when I got every other console. It may been Christmas 1995.

9.9.99 was a magical day. I had worked with my father that summer to save up for a Dreamcast. Still remember going to pick it up at the store, the way the box smelled, etc. What's weird is I don't remember the box design looking that way. I remember the Japanese white box which makes absolutely no sense because I picked it up from Toys R Us in the US.

Last edited:
Welp gang, it's September 9th and you know what that means. On this day in 1995, the Sony PlayStation 1 saw its release in North America and would proceed to change the course of gaming forever, setting Sony's course for dominance in console gaming.

Meanwhile, only four years later, the SEGA Dreamcast would also choose September 9th (in the famous 9/9/99 marketing campaign) to reignite SEGA's gaming fortunes in the North American market. Things unfortunately didn't go as planned, but the system is still fondly remembered to this day.

dreamcast.jpg

I wasn't there at the launch of these systems, and while my parents got little me a PS1 in early '98, I never did end up getting a Dreamcast. Up to that point my only SEGA console was the Genesis (which I loved).

However, it's always fun hearing stories about people who were there to get systems at their launch, and since this is the PS1 & Dreamcast's birthdays, maybe those of you who picked either (or both) up on Day 1 have some interesting experiences to share 👍
Same story for me. My dad bought me a PS1 in the summer (May) of 1998. We lived in Al Jubail Saudi Arabia at the time. Before that I had Sega Genisis and I was blown away by the graphics upgrade.

My dad couldnt afford the console at the original price - SAR1200. But then there was an ad in the local Arab Newspaper about Sony slashing the console price to SAR699. I requested my late dad to buy the console and he agreed. I still remember the day we bought the console as if it was yesterday.

At the store, they had two games available - Crash Bandicoot and Destruction Derby 2. I chose the latter and had a blast playing the Psygnosis game at home. There were also a demo disc with games I remember include a ship game, Abes Odeworld. Also, I was amazed by the dino animation.

This console provided hours of fun for three years until 2001 with my favorite games being MGS, RE2, and that gem FFVII.

Two years later my mom bought me a PS2 in my home town of Karachi, Pakistan, and I bought the game - MGS2 admiring how much games graphics had improved.

Sony PS has been entertaining generation of kids and adult alike, making it a global cultural icon.

PS may have lost a lot of its shine lately, but recent games like Astro Bot and Wu Kong shows the company still can surprise you with gaming gems. I am skeptical at the moment whether or not to continue the journey with PS6, but one thing is for sure I and other gamers like me will cherish the memories created playing PS games.

Mitsurux

Had reserved a Dreamcast and Sonic Adventure, Soul Calibur and NFL Blitz (2000?) at Best Buy. Picked it up on work Lunch Break on 9/9/99, brought it back and had it all sitting n my desk just waiting for the clock to tick to 5pm.
For some Reason the Best Buys shipment of Sonic Adventure was delayed by a day so got that on 09/10/99
NFL Blitz disc could not be read by the Dreamcast (Apparently this was a sort of wide spread issue).. so had to return that.

So that left Soul Calibur, to play on 9/9/99, I had seen it demoed in the stores a few month earlier etc. but having it at home was Amazing (Especially since i had played it a bunch in the arcade prior)

Fantastic system and fantastic memories.... going to fire it up tonight a play for a bit.

Fahdis

Same story for me. My dad bought me a PS1 in the summer (May) of 1998. We lived in Al Jubail Saudi Arabia at the time. Before that I had Sega Genisis and I was blown away by the graphics upgrade.

My dad couldnt afford the console at the original price - SAR1200. But then there was an ad in the local Arab Newspaper about Sony slashing the console price to SAR699. I requested my late dad to buy the console and he agreed. I still remember the day we bought the console as if it was yesterday.

At the store, they had two games available - Crash Bandicoot and Destruction Derby 2. I chose the latter and had a blast playing the Psygnosis game at home. There were also a demo disc with games I remember include a ship game, Abes Odeworld. Also, I was amazed by the dino animation.

This console provided hours of fun for three years until 2001 with my favorite games being MGS, RE2, and that gem FFVII.

Two years later my mom bought me a PS2 in my home town of Karachi, Pakistan, and I bought the game - MGS2 admiring how much games graphics had improved.

Sony PS has been entertaining generation of kids and adult alike, making it a global cultural icon.

PS may have lost a lot of its shine lately, but recent games like Astro Bot and Wu Kong shows the company still can surprise you with gaming gems. I am skeptical at the moment whether or not to continue the journey with PS6, but one thing is for sure I and other gamers like me will cherish the memories created playing PS games.

Salaam bro, nice memories. Seem similar to mine. Only I got invested in Tekken. You know how we Pakistanis are 😂

Bond007

PS1 i did not get day one. My parents bought me a Genesis probably around release of the PS1 and i didnt know it existed anyway till i visited a "rich" friend.
The day i laid eyes on a PS1 and "movie scenes" in Resident Evil and Twisted Metal 1 i was blown away. That was my life pursuit to own one lol

By 99 I had my PSX(PS1) along with a N64.
I did manage to snag a Dreamcast by trading in my N64 at the time and convincing my grandma to put up the rest at launch. Great year of Dreamcast before i bailed on it with a trade towards PS2.

Last edited:

00_Zer0

If my memory serves me correctly, I never bought a PS1 on day one, but I was in line at an Electronic Boutique in Batavia Ohio, waiting for my Dreamcast on launch day. The Dreamcast was so front loaded with a variety of good games and the excitement I felt at the time for it was only rivaled by the N64 release where I also got it either on launch day or near it. Lol, I bought the N64 at a place called Incredible Universe in Columbus Ohio. I skipped work for the N64 release. Lol.

hinch7

Still have my PS1 up in the loft. Such a great console and so many good memories.

Also Dreamcast. I remember absolutely dominating someone at Quake 3 with keyboard and mouse, and getting DM'd. That was one of my first time experiences online on consoles lol. Shame it never took off, such a great console and well ahead of its time.

Last edited:
Salaam bro, nice memories. Seem similar to mine. Only I got invested in Tekken. You know how we Pakistanis are 😂
Wassalam dude. NeoGaf indeed binds gamers of all races.

How the heck did I forgot to mention Tekken 3? The game seems to be in our DNA 😆
I did bought one in 1999. And oh bouy what a fantastic game. I really loved the Dr. and little dino characters - forgot their names. But man that was one heck of a game from Bamco.

RickMasters

What a year. I had my first job at HMV so it helped thatI got discounts on games and accessories. Bought the Saturn and the PS1 and day of launch that year for both from the same store I was working at.

Shortly after I had both modded by CEX so they could play import games….. good times!

Tekken 1, ridge racer, wipeout, destruction derby were my first games. Wan amazing console at the time. You just couldn’t go back to snes and megadrive after PS1 and Saturn showed up.

Bought a Japanese DC initially because I was not gonna wait for a U.K. release to play VF3, sega rally 2 and soul calibur. By the time the U.K. version released I bought that day one…. Had it moded to play my collection of Japanese games and bought U.K. versions of them all the same, in some cases.

I remember souls calibur utterly stunning all my friends at the time. MSR was super impressive at the time for the way it replicated London city streets. I was the only person with one as everybody else I knew was waiting for the PS2, GC and Xbox.

And I’ll always live the DC for being the console that gave me my first taste of online gaming. But Xbox took that to a whole other level for me, with halo and pgr. Just felt like a more integral part of the experience, but the DC was a glimpse of what was to come. I’ll always love it for that, and it’s amazing games.

Too young to buy any of the consoles mentioned in the OP. That said, the first console I ever bought was the Xbox 360 (the revised Jasper model), and that was some time after its release.

Yeah back then I was a kid too so my parents bought me systems as birthday presents, and I only got a Genesis in '95 (my first console) which is why they got me a PS1 a few years later.

I remember having this issue. Still wish I had it around, great coverage.

I had a Mega Drive and some games back than. But when I got a PS1, and played Final Fantasy 8, it changed everything, fell in love with videogames.

Same thing, WRT having Mega Drive (Genesis), didn't get a PS1 'till '98 but I was playing at friends' houses since at least '97. Feels like a lot of 'kids' in particular didn't start getting PS1s until '97 and later; prior wouldn't surprise me if most buyers were older teens and college students.

I do hope that WRT internal games, stuff like Astro Bot is representative of SIE turning over a new leaf, which would look a bit like a leaf from prior eras but with new stuff (where it makes sense and fits in). The superfluous GAAS gambit was the wrong choice, and it might be a little bit before the entire internal pipeline is back on track, but those problems can be fixed.

They just need a good balance again and AA games have to be present, especially to foster some of the more artsy/creative game ideas that would be too risky in the big AAA games, or aren't a fit for GAAS. And SIE have to be better at identifying what'll be worth it as a GAAS; look at Helldivers 2. It was successful in large part because it wasn't trying to be a copycat in a saturated space.

And they also need to continue fostering partnerships for stuff like Stellar Blade, Kena, Stray, ZZZ, FF, Granblue, and do partnerships with 3P on 1P & 3P legacy IP alongside the various Hero Projects. Now if they just had a more sensible multiplatform rollout strategy (something I've gone way too in-depth on before so not gonna do that here), that'd be perfect.

PS1 i did not get day one. My parents bought me a Genesis probably around release of the PS1 and i didnt know it existed anyway till i visited a "rich" friend.
The day i laid eyes on a PS1 and "movie scenes" in Resident Evil and Twisted Metal 1 i was blown away. That was my life pursuit to own one lol

By 99 I had my PSX(PS1) along with a N64.
I did manage to snag a Dreamcast by trading in my N64 at the time and convincing my grandma to put up the rest at launch. Great year of Dreamcast before i bailed on it with a trade towards PS2.

Same timeline as myself in terms of Genesis; my dad picked up the Madden sports bundle sometime around my birthday in '95, and I played Madden for all of about a couple days before moving on to other games. Wasn't a big football fan (that's probably why he got it, to convert me to a big sports fan xD), so Madden did nothing for me. Quickly moved on to games like SF2 Champion Edition, Aladdin, Sonic 2, Streets of Rage etc.

Tho Genesis was my first game console, it's not the first time I ever played video games. My dad took me to arcades prior, and some laundromats my mom went to had coin-ups in them too. I think what finally made me ask for a PS1 was probably Parappa the Rapper & Crash Bandicoot xD. Then by the time the Dreamcast came out, I had just gotten both PS1 & N64 the year prior so my parents were like "okay, that's enough consoles for now!" xD

Kind of wild they are just 4 years apart.

Generational leaps were massive back then. Ironically I think it the industry today weren't focused on sheer power we could've still had those type of major generational leaps. Just through things outside of graphics (immersion controls, for example) or with graphics/fidelity but at lower native resolutions (to decrease development costs).

At times I really wonder if Sony & Microsoft made a mistake prioritizing resolution over fidelity when moving from PS2/Xbox to PS3/360, and if the growth for native resolution was better served in advancing upscaling technology sooner, even if through custom ASIC technologies. It's fun to think about, sometimes.

Wassalam dude. NeoGaf indeed binds gamers of all races.

How the heck did I forgot to mention Tekken 3? The game seems to be in our DNA 😆
I did bought one in 1999. And oh bouy what a fantastic game. I really loved the Dr. and little dino characters - forgot their names. But man that was one heck of a game from Bamco.

IMO Tekken 3 is probably still the single-best full-package (traditional) fighting game ever released on a console. From the characters to the backgrounds to the OST to the story to the game modes to the bonus content, everything just fits together perfectly with that game.

Some fighters have gotten close though (Tekken 5, maybe Soul Calibur 2, Guilty Gear X/XX/Accent Core, VF4 Evolution and so forth).

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
25 years is a long fucking time. I got my Dreamcast on launch day. I loved it then and I love it now - it's one of those systems that's always remained one of my favorites, regardless of how tech advances or trends change. It's a system with fantastic games across an array of genres, on a piece of hardware that's up to the task of letting the devs do basically whatever they want.

It was cool, because the system came out before the trend towards bigger, open-world designs and focused instead on that older design ethos from the 32-bit era. It was basically an overpowered "old" console. So, perhaps unsurprisingly, the games have aged really well, and they still look and run great today.

As much as I like the notion of a "Dreamcast 2", I think things had changed so much by the time the Dreamcast was put out to pasture that no follow-up would've hit that same high watermark. But that's fine - I'm still, 25 years later, finding new games on the system I want to play. There's still a solid 45-50 more games I want for my collection before I consider it done, so... chances are I'll still be a fan when we have the thread for the 50th anniversary.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
My brother got a PS1 for Christmas . Then we were still too young to buy a Dreamcast day 1 but we sure rented the console often. We used to buy every video game magazine including a demo disc so we had tons of fun renting the console with sonic and crazy taxi, then as a bonus we had our demo discs.

SweetTooth

Gold Member
I actually thought that too... it's the 25th GODDAMN ANNIVERSARY for the Dreamcast. The Playstation? Who cares? Happy Birthday, go fuck yourself. Great system, but it ain't about that today.
How dare you celebrate the Dreamcast amongst the tainted name of PlayStation?

I live off SEGA fanboys tears ... so delicious 21 years ago, even more delicious now HAHAHAHA

Sooner

I bought the PS1 day one despite expecting it to fail like the Phillips CDi and Panasonic 3DO.

Instead, it became the biggest player in the industry. Sometimes Nintendo gets at the top with it. Once, Xbox did. But, since it launched, only PlayStation consistently competes or dominates (PS2) the home console market.

How dare you celebrate the Dreamcast amongst the tainted name of PlayStation?

I mean it's both their (NA) birthdays, I gotta show 'em both love 😊

Great consoles... I never got to have them, because I couldn't afford them. But I'll try to get one of those consoles for Christmas.

Luckily they're really cheap these days and mod-friendly for region bypasses & stuff like that, or even upscalers.

I'm really interested in the Dreamcast GTA3 project; yeah some people have said Dreamcast could never run GTA3, but that made no sense to me considering better-looking games like Shenmue II can run on a stock Dreamcast quite well. I'm expecting the finished product of that project to be a GTA3 that looks more or less comparable to the PS2 version, maybe with simpler lighting and geometry in some areas, and slightly lower framerates in parts with way too many objects on-screen at once & heavy fillrate/particle effects.

OTOH, Dreamcast version should have better textures in some aspects, and better video output on a stock system (PS2's built-in video output was...not great).

I bought the PS1 day one despite expecting it to fail like the Phillips CDi and Panasonic 3DO.

Instead, it became the biggest player in the industry. Sometimes Nintendo gets at the top with it. Once, Xbox did. But, since it launched, only PlayStation consistently competes or dominates (PS2) the home console market.

When you read magazines from back in the day before it launched, a surprising number of people were skeptical if the PS1 could really compete with Nintendo & SEGA. I think the strongest region of faith/support for it prior to launch was the US, but a lot of that probably didn't come into play until after the Japanese launches and early 1995 rolled in. Even then, some outlets like GameFan seem like they were favoring of the Saturn in the early period.

The skepticism was somewhat warranted tho I guess: other big electronics companies (Phillips & Panasonic like you mentioned, but also NEC with the PC-FX) just either greatly underperformed or died right out of the gate. Huge graveyard of failed consoles that gen. But all the ingredients came together for PlayStation leading up to its launch (partially helped by Nintendo being tardy and SEGA having a difficult Saturn to work with, and not being as cooperative with 3P as Sony were).

As much as I like the notion of a "Dreamcast 2", I think things had changed so much by the time the Dreamcast was put out to pasture that no follow-up would've hit that same high watermark. But that's fine - I'm still, 25 years later, finding new games on the system I want to play. There's still a solid 45-50 more games I want for my collection before I consider it done, so... chances are I'll still be a fan when we have the thread for the 50th anniversary.

Well, the closest we got a Dreamcast 2 theoretically speaking, was the OG Xbox. And that's in part because SEGA put a lot of their quirkiest games that gen out as Xbox exclusives. It would've been nice if SEGA picked one system to put all their 6th-gen games on, but it was a different era.

Plus, they probably wanted experience programming for each system but may not have had the budget or manpower to force ports to each system with their extremely different architectures.

Kinda was an N64 guy and I don’t think the ps1 and Dreamcast were bad I got the web browser running around 04,05,06

hqdefault.jpg

I think you can get online with a Dreamcast today (and kinda with a PS2 too with the BBN). Probably not safe at all, but it's possible.

Vyse

Gold Member

dreamcast.jpg

Took a little while until I could afford a PS1. Finally got it with a bunch of RPGs. Spent so much money on the system and games, went 3rd party on the memory card. Lost my FF 7 save file half way through the game and didn’t finish it until earlier this year with remake.

Dreamcast was a midnight launch for me! The wrestler China was supposed to show up at the mall here in Vegas, but she didn’t show. 🤣🤣🤣

digdug2

I got a Dreamcast the day it launched. It had some great titles, but some absolute shit on launch. I got a DC, Sonic Adventure, Ready 2 Rumble Boxing, Blue Stinger, and House of the Dead 2 on 9/9/99. Blue Stinger was a massive disappointment! And the light guns for HotD2 were delayed, which made that one a bit of a disappointment, as well. R2R was kind of fun, but I was expecting it to be more like Punch-Out!! (it wasn't). The one game that I kept returning to was Sonic Adventure. That game was special.

I do hope that WRT internal games, stuff like Astro Bot is representative of SIE turning over a new leaf, which would look a bit like a leaf from prior eras but with new stuff (where it makes sense and fits in). The superfluous GAAS gambit was the wrong choice, and it might be a little bit before the entire internal pipeline is back on track, but those problems can be fixed.

They just need a good balance again and AA games have to be present, especially to foster some of the more artsy/creative game ideas that would be too risky in the big AAA games, or aren't a fit for GAAS. And SIE have to be better at identifying what'll be worth it as a GAAS; look at Helldivers 2. It was successful in large part because it wasn't trying to be a copycat in a saturated space.

And they also need to continue fostering partnerships for stuff like Stellar Blade, Kena, Stray, ZZZ, FF, Granblue, and do partnerships with 3P on 1P & 3P legacy IP alongside the various Hero Projects. Now if they just had a more sensible multiplatform rollout strategy (something I've gone way too in-depth on before so not gonna do that here), that'd be perfect.

Same timeline as myself in terms of Genesis; my dad picked up the Madden sports bundle sometime around my birthday in '95, and I played Madden for all of about a couple days before moving on to other games. Wasn't a big football fan (that's probably why he got it, to convert me to a big sports fan xD), so Madden did nothing for me. Quickly moved on to games like SF2 Champion Edition, Aladdin, Sonic 2, Streets of Rage etc.

Tho Genesis was my first game console, it's not the first time I ever played video games. My dad took me to arcades prior, and some laundromats my mom went to had coin-ups in them too. I think what finally made me ask for a PS1 was probably Parappa the Rapper & Crash Bandicoot xD. Then by the time the Dreamcast came out, I had just gotten both PS1 & N64 the year prior so my parents were like "okay, that's enough consoles for now!" xD

Generational leaps were massive back then. Ironically I think it the industry today weren't focused on sheer power we could've still had those type of major generational leaps. Just through things outside of graphics (immersion controls, for example) or with graphics/fidelity but at lower native resolutions (to decrease development costs).

At times I really wonder if Sony & Microsoft made a mistake prioritizing resolution over fidelity when moving from PS2/Xbox to PS3/360, and if the growth for native resolution was better served in advancing upscaling technology sooner, even if through custom ASIC technologies. It's fun to think about, sometimes.

IMO Tekken 3 is probably still the single-best full-package (traditional) fighting game ever released on a console. From the characters to the backgrounds to the OST to the story to the game modes to the bonus content, everything just fits together perfectly with that game.

Some fighters have gotten close though (Tekken 5, maybe Soul Calibur 2, Guilty Gear X/XX/Accent Core, VF4 Evolution and so forth).

Agreed 100 percent regarding your opinion about T3. I never had so much fun playing a fighting game than T3.

I have bought both SF6 and T8, and they may have great graphics and animations esp. T8, but I am not compelled to finish the games. I have only played about 3-4 hours as engrossed in other games.

On the other hand, T3 gameplay was so engrossing I finished the game multiple times. I especially had fun playing Mokujin, Sonya, Julia, DR Bosconovitch, and the dino guy - Gon.

Gon vs the DR fight was so hilarious. I don't think they ever made such fun charcters like these two in subsequent versions.

Regarding the current gen, I also agree there should be a mixture of AA and AAA games to continue to delight console gamers. At the moment, it seems like the current gen (both PS5 and esp Xbox) are going through a phase similar to the 3DO.

The short lineup of games for 3DO were indeed impressive for its day in 93-94 as compared to SEGA/SNES games.
I literally had a crush on the 3DO seeing it on stores with advanced graphics in games, as compared to the games on SEGA, and I had intended to save for it.

But the games were few, and I believe only one or two good games released in a year. And this resulted in gamers (including mine) interest fizzle out for the console. 3DO was also available in stores in our area in 98 but I went for the PS as it had a stellar lineup of exclusives.

The main charm of a console I believe is not cost. A gaming PC of similar spec cost nearly the same that has much cheaper games than consoles.
I believe most gamers are attracted to consoles due to exclusives. And if there are only a few exclusive per year similar to 3DO, many gamers like me will stop playing on it.

It was exclusives that led the PS2 and later PS4 sales skyrocket to 100 million+. Same can be said for Nintedo consoles like Wii and Switch.
I believe these PS and Xbox are experiencing a slow and gradual death similar to the 3DO.

I am very much skeptical about buying PS6 onwards due to lack of exclusives. Even a mid range gaming rig appear a better proposition going forward at the moment.

Sony (and MS) must utilize its band of studios and focus on exclusive games with short lead times like before, rather than spending years on AAA games. Otherwise, both these consoles will meet the same fate as 3DO.

We don't need stellar graphics in games. But great gameplay like in Astro Bot, Elden Ring, and Skyrim. Rather than realism, they should focus on creative animation and I am sure the console industry will rebound from its current slump. Unless they start releasing exclusive gems every three to four months like before, I for one would bail out and stick to PC gaming.

In fact, most of my time has been spent on PC gaming -BG3, ELDEN RING, Prince of Persia etc. - as there are so few exclusives to play on PS5. The fact that multiplayer is free on PC makes it the preferred media for gaming right now.

Sony should have stick to its previous strategy of making a deal with independent developers for exclusives. Both MS and Sony gobbled up creative gems like Insomniac, Bungie, Naughty Dogs, and dozens more that

Last edited:

SweetTooth

Gold Member
Why the fuck is Dreamcast trending more than PS1? PS1 ushered in many franchises, across many platforms, therein after!
DC is not trending more at all. Its just that SEGA fans sprinkled with some of Xbox are desperately trying to score ANY victory against Playstation who killed both, thats their mission in life..while PS fans simply don't care or are "still" enjoying games on their "still alive" successful brand 🤣

The market knew what's best back then, still knows what's best right now. Playstation had/will have better legacy than anything SEGA/MS will come up combined. That's the harsh truth for them 🤣

DC legacy is revolving around "what if" like many failed project, and when you try to give it a chance and remove the rose tinted glasses you find Crazy Taxi, Shinmue and mediocre Sonic game lol

Holammer

Shit, clicked the wrong option, I played both day one.
Technically I played PS1 couple of months before release. Sony sales representative lent us a Japanese system with Ridge Racer and I played it for quite a bit.
Dreamcast was a nightmare to find, I believe BRIO, the Sega distributor allocated few units to the Nordic countries, retailers got po'ed and refused to carry it. Had to search almost a dozen stores before I got my machine.

Last edited:
Top Bottom