• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hard Corps: Uprising |OT| - I TOLD U THIS UPRISING WAS HARD CORPS!

angelfly

Can't wait. I'll be there day one for this. Would have preferred grabbing it over PSN but don't really feel like waiting a whole month.

Somewhat Damaged said:
15 bucks for this is more than reasonable. Game looks so great
I'm glad everyone has gotten used to the $15 price point and the crying has calmed down.

Now time to bump the standard price up to $20! LOL!

angelfly

Dark Octave said:
I'm glad everyone has gotten used to the $15 price point and the crying has calmed down.

I'm definitely not used to it since every new game seems to be $15. However for a game like this that looks to be worth the $15 I'm perfectly fine with it.

angelfly said:
I'm definitely not used to it since every new game seems to be $15. However for a game like this that looks to be worth the $15 I'm perfectly fine with it.
Agreed. This one looks like it's worth the premium price.

Dark Octave said:

I agree, $15 as a standard is getting a tad ridiculous and I think $20 is inevitable unfortunately. $15 seems to be a decent price for this game and I plan on picking it up eventually. I remember it this way. Portable games cost much more than most PSN/XBLA releases. If this was on PSP or DS, I would imagine it would cost at least $35.

matmanx1

Will get once this hits the PS3. No way I'm using my 360 d-pad for this game.

In other news I seriously dig the new art style. Looks awesome!

kitzkozan

Why would you do that? said:
The voices of agony when you kill people... For some reason, it's really disheartening. :(

(Almost makes me not want to play it. But I'll get it anyway.)

Yeah,there is a complete lack of energy as far as the audio is concerned. :s

Both from the hero generic gun firing sound and the lame voices of agony.Most important part of a Contra game seems to be there (typical first boss being the base front wall from the first Contra redux,a boss fight on a vehicle,weapon upgrade,etc) ,but I can't say I'm hyped.

Amir0x

Banned
Augemitbutter said:
might want to insert "contra" somewhere into the witty line, so more people can take notice. i want this game to sell millions!

He had contra in the title before.

kevm3

When is the PS3 release date? A month later? If this is one of those delayed exclusives, I'll be skipping out on it.

Dark Octave said:

The production quality has risen considerably over the last four to five years in DD-only games. I think $15 is a very fair price for a lot of good games considering that you can play them as long if not longer than $60 games that often finish within a few hours and offer little in the way of meaty replayability. Not that I want games to all be $15 or whatever, but a lot of these games asking for these prices aren't really out of bounds and often offer genres and (newer, fresher) gamestyles and experiences that aren't seen at retail ever, anymore. Actually, I'm still annoyed that more increments haven't been used more often or even introduced yet, like $7 and $12 price points.

Dark Octave said:

90% of the games on xbla are not worth 1200 to me, yet 10% of them are such as this game, i'll still bitch over most 1200 games :p

No signs of Browny or Deadeye Joe ? Fail.

I'm happy though they added an "Arcade Mode".
Are there also multiple difficulty settings ? (even if the original Hard Corps didn't have them)

Am I the only one that thinks this game looks horrible graphically?
No, but we're in the minority. They won't get sales otherwise.

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
RyanDG said:
2crkb3q.jpg

Ok, so how do I un-see the white robot's penis-rifle?

krakov said:

Someone wants an avatar quote!

I think it's pretty good looking, unfortunately it still has that awful Dreamcast era sprites against low polygon 3D object visual style going on in places. Still the good outweighs the bad, and in an era where there's hardly any sprite based gaming, I'm more accepting of this trash than I was in 1999. :\

Woah, I totally forgot about this!

Awesome! $15 is way too much for some XBLA games but I think $15 is a steal for this game since it's hand-drawn and Contra!

krakov said:
No. I totally get shades of Dolphin Blue when I see this, and I didn't like the way that looked.
HCU is supposed to be very good though.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
My review of the game has just been posted.
http://www.pwnem.com/t-hard-corps-uprising-review
Criticism time.
"Seriously you’ll need all of these lives and then some more if you expect to finish the game."
Change "you" to what skill level of player you think would need lots of extra lives to clear it (assuming you're talking about arcade mode here..).

"Since there is no other way to pass this area the gators continue to spawn no matter how many you destroy." Is there a time bonus or time limit that might prevent score milking?

"Otherwise the controls tend to be really fluid with the only really troubling aspect being that wall-climbing feels a bit too sticky." Sticky is a vague word.. mind getting more technical?

Still a pretty good review considering it even mentions the scoring system and player mechanics.

mjemirzian said:
Criticism time.
"Seriously you’ll need all of these lives and then some more if you expect to finish the game."
Change "you" to what skill level of player you think would need lots of extra lives to clear it (assuming you're talking about arcade mode here..).

"Since there is no other way to pass this area the gators continue to spawn no matter how many you destroy." Is there a time bonus or time limit that might prevent score milking?

"Otherwise the controls tend to be really fluid with the only really troubling aspect being that wall-climbing feels a bit too sticky." Sticky is a vague word.. mind getting more technical?

Still a pretty good review considering it even mentions the scoring system and player mechanics.

For that matter, I suspect "itineration" in the review is used in place of "iteration".

Eh figures.

This review went through a few revisions and it still needs work.

Honestly I don't think skill level matters when playing this game in arcade mode. As I said in the review a lot of the difficulty in Hard Corps comes from not knowing what to expect. There aren't anything in the realm of complicated bullet spreads and other stuff that would require serious pixel-perfect reflexes.

I tried to avoid focusing on the wall-climbing junk too much but it's like this. I think the player-characters are a little too aggressive when sticking to walls. There will be situations where getting from a wall to somewhere else to avoid death is a necessity and it's a bit too easy to attempt to jump away but find yourself against the wall again. Transitioning from wall to ceiling is also an annoyance but I think it's only a serious factor in one part of the game(and you'll know it when you see it). Most of the control issues are similar in that they are most prevalent in isolated incidents. I'm more concerned about balancing out the unique maneuvers and scoring system first as they affect the entirety of the game.

There's no time-limit or time bonus as far as I'm aware. Besides the multiplier continues to rise for every enemy destroyed so the gators could go from 30,000 per kill to 50,000 and beyond in less than a minute. Multiply that by however long somebody is willing to leave the 360 running and any time bonus would seem piddly by comparison. At least it'd make grinding for upgrades less of a pain.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Honestly I don't think skill level matters when playing this game in arcade mode. As I said in the review a lot of the difficulty in Hard Corps comes from not knowing what to expect. There aren't anything in the realm of complicated bullet spreads and other stuff that would require serious pixel-perfect reflexes.

I tried to avoid focusing on the wall-climbing junk too much but it's like this. I think the player-characters are a little too aggressive when sticking to walls. There will be situations where getting from a wall to somewhere else to avoid death is a necessity and it's a bit too easy to attempt to jump away but find yourself against the wall again. Transitioning from wall to ceiling is also an annoyance but I think it's only a serious factor in one part of the game(and you'll know it when you see it).
First, skill level definitely matters. Memorization and execution are measurable skills that can be applied to this game and games like it (CAVE shoot em ups, etc.) Memorization is a pretty obvious word. Execution means the physical dexterity to be able to make those precise memorized movements, such as dodging a dense bullet pattern. Second, using reflexes is the wrong word. Reflexes are involved when random things happen, which I would assume this game doesn't have much of. A good recent example of a reflex skill based game is Bayonetta.

Would be good to put that wall explanation in the review.

That scoring system issue sounds pretty major if true. Have you actually tried testing it, though? Maybe the gators stop giving points after killing enough of them.

mjemirzian said:
That scoring system issue sounds pretty major if true. Have you actually tried testing it, though? Maybe the gators stop giving points after killing enough of them.

Eww that's just as bad if not worse. If the gators stopped giving points after awhile it would be like the developer intended for players to stand around and milk them for several minutes before moving forward. That sort of play would destroy the pacing of the game, kind of like those ESP Ra De superplays that go for 45 minutes in what is usually a 20 minute game.

Anyway there are more places to milk for points I believe. The gator spot is the easiest because there's a spot where the player can just stand still, set the controller down, and leave. Other sections involve at least some moving around to keep a random grunt from bumping into them.

Darkone

Finally a scrolling shooter like the old days, can`t wait.

Now all i need is a new or a remake of Sunset Riders and i can die peacfully.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Eww that's just as bad if not worse. If the gators stopped giving points after awhile it would be like the developer intended for players to stand around and milk them for several minutes before moving forward. That sort of play would destroy the pacing of the game, kind of like those ESP Ra De superplays that go for 45 minutes in what is usually a 20 minute game.

Anyway there are more places to milk for points I believe. The gator spot is the easiest because there's a spot where the player can just stand still, set the controller down, and leave. Other sections involve at least some moving around to keep a random grunt from bumping into them.
Bummer.

That's what time limits are for!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Will be picking this up upon release... week is seriously stacked to the brim with awesome games.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Fortinbras said:
Launch Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjYi_v_x_6M

Are there any dlc plans? If not I'm going to buy this game for 1200 points.

Yeah unfortunately

PepsimanVsJoe's review touches on it

There’s also the case regarding Sayuri and Harley. Both characters appear in the intro as well as the ending and even get their own biographies. As it turns out these characters are only going to be available via downloadable content. Konami pulled a similar stunt with Castlevania: Harmony of Despair as additional characters had to be purchased. At least with that game six characters were already available. With this on the other hand, it’s a slap in the face because the game directly references two other characters yet neither of them is playable unless they’re bought separately. Although to be fair, Hard Corps: Uprising is of great value at its price and it’ll take at least ten hours to max out the upgrades for one character, let alone all the time spent in Arcade mode but it’s still a very dirty move as far as I’m concerned.

The Take Out Bandit said:
WTF.

That sucks I was looking forward to using Harley.

This generation set such a bad precedent. :(

If it wasn't for this generation, I doubt we'd have this game at $15...or at all.

FateBreaker said:
If it wasn't for this generation, I doubt we'd have this game at $15...or at all.

$15 at the door, and god knows how much per other characters. So instead of paying $30/40 up front like I did for Contra: Shattered Soldier, Neo Contra, and Contra 4 I get nickel and dimed.

This generation isn't special. We're being sold cool stuff piecemeal.

I'm really interested in how this business model works. I highly doubt people that aren't interested in Contra will buy the game at $15, when they would turn up their noses at buying it at say - $40.

I will still buy this, and be part of the problem and probably buy the DLC characters too. HAW!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'll only buy Brownie (the robot) if he still has his Yo-yo gun.

Best gun in a Contra. Evar.

Top Bottom