• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hard Corps: Uprising |OT| - I TOLD U THIS UPRISING WAS HARD CORPS!

Good news everyone!

It turns out that there is in fact a point where the game stops letting me milk gators for points.

I think somewhere around the 40x multiplier the game put up a NEGATIVE PENALTY message and now the gators are worth nothing. In fact for the rest of the stage I can't score any points aside from what I can scrounge up from grabbing powerups.

Still though you have to consider. My score went from around 6 or 7 million to 33+ million. That is crazy.

Oh and I found another part of the game I can milk.
Midway through stage 5 there's a section with conveyor belts. Before walking off the first belt there's an easy milking spot with an infinite supply of cranes, slow mechas that come in pairs, and when the mechs die they spew multiplier-raising shrapnel. With a spread weapon it's not too bad of a section to milk.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I think they were 240pts each.

If you get ALL the Castlevania HD DLCs, the total is like buying 2 retail games, LOL!

Maybe not that much but it comes out to a lot!

I skipped Castlevania because of that. I guess I'm going to ignore Hard Corps too. At least until there's a sale.

Nessus

Fortinbras said:
I skipped Castlevania because of that. I guess I'm going to ignore Hard Corps too. At least until there's a sale.

I skipped Castlevania due to the lack of offline multiplayer.

This game, however, features it, so I think I'll get it.

Even though it's a different team, I really liked Contra: Rebirth on Wii Ware, and I like the sound of the leveling up, adding a neat, completely optional twist on the classic formula.

Let use not speak of Milkslevania. I really regret picking that up due to the lack of offline multiplayer and general lackluster single player aspect.

I have two good unplayed DS Castlevanias. :(

ONE MORE DAY! IT'S KILLING ME! KILLING MEEEEEEEE!

web01

Fuck the DLC rip off, taking characters out of the game to sell them at launch is disgusting.
Especially considering the game is already 1200 points.

S1kkZ

played the trial a bit:
-great visuals. reminds me of the time when i still liked anime.
-cool anime intro
-controls feel like contra. its a little stiff but you get used to it pretty fast.
-rebirth is a god mode for contra noobs like me.

its a great contra game, but with the dlc bullshit, i dont know if i should buy it.

Lothars

Gowans007 said:
That has taken it from insta buy to demo & maybe wait for sale.

They should have announced this way upfront.

I feel the same way about this DLC, I normally don't have an issue with it but this game went from a must buy to wait for sale buy.

S1kkZ

WTF?
i beat the boss and get a shitty quicktime event? of course i miss the button and get a game over (last continue)? fuck off konami.

Gowans

Lothars said:
I feel the same way about this DLC, I normally don't have an issue with it but this game went from a must buy to wait for sale buy.
Yeah it's really shitty!

The shittyest thing is I Loved the trail!! It's great!

xbhaskarx

HadesGigas said:
Haha wasn't expecting a QTE at the end of the motorcycle ride/boss fight. Got a nasty game over instead of beating the stage.

If it makes you feel any better, that's not the end, the boss fight is after the motorcycle ride. I got past the QTE but still didn't beat it.

Edit: Oh shit wrong part, I didn't know there was even more motorcycling after the boss...

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
DLC sucks but I can still play the game without Sayuri and Harley.

Edit: More reviews

Gamespot: 7.0/10
Pros:Tight run-and-gun action, Creative level designs and bosses, Single-screen co-op is a blast.

Cons:Absurd difficulty curve, Limited checkpoints lead to lots of repetition.

Planet Xbox 360: 8.4/10

ztdg: 7.5/10

+ Great art style
+ Fantastic level designs
+ Slick controls

- Frustrating checkpoints
- Lacking tutorial
- Punishing difficulty

HadesGigas said:
lol "lacking tutorial". It's fucking Contra.

There are a lot of moves that the game literally does not explain at all.
Bullet canceling, dashing, dodge-moves, etc.

Sayuri is a pain in the ass to use. She's weak as a kitten in Rising mode, Arcade mode not so much.

I like the trial so far, gave it two runs between both characters, died at the bike boss as it's been a LONG LONG time since I played a contra game, snes might have been the last before now.

I like it, love the visuals and how the characters and enemies look, hate the voice work though, sounds like a budget fake orgy when you kill enemies in a row, i'd find a way to turn that shit off if I do buy the game.

Going to play the trial more before I decide, need to get back into the contra zone.

Playing with Krystal right now, the game is amazing, love the visuals and love the music, it's seems to me that the music is more like GGXX than Blazblue.

Ground dash and air dash is very satisfying, and the fact that you can do some advanced stuff that the game don't need at all, is fucking amazing. Dodge bullets, repel bullets, dodge enemies.

It's me or it looks like you can beat the levels running non stop?.

Diablohead said:
I like the trial so far, gave it two runs between both characters, died at the bike boss as it's been a LONG LONG time since I played a contra game, snes might have been the last before now.

I like it, love the visuals and how the characters and enemies look, hate the voice work though, sounds like a budget fake orgy when you kill enemies in a row, i'd find a way to turn that shit off if I do buy the game.

Going to play the trial more before I decide, need to get back into the contra zone.
I turned down the voices as soon as I could. Just go to settings and you can max the music and turn down those horrendous voices.

I find the game to be a bit too slow, but I guess I'll get used to it. Other than that the game is really good.

S1kkZ

PepsimanVsJoe said:
There are a lot of moves that the game literally does not explain at all.
Bullet canceling, dashing, dodge-moves, etc.

Sayuri is a pain in the ass to use. She's weak as a kitten
did you buy the 2 dlc characters? how are they?

YoungHav said:
no platinum no buy
The hell is this crap? It's an arcade game...

S1kkZ said:
did you buy the 2 dlc characters? how are they?

Sayuri has a sword and some other attacks like a charge-slash(basically like the heat shot everyone else has) and a dashing palm strike that I haven't seen much use for.

Harley looks to be like the other two characters except with some exclusive ability that nobody is using(I didn't buy the guy, just saw him being used in coop).

By the way COOP fans, the person you play with better have some sort of implant in their brain so they know exactly what you're going to do at all times. Rushing ahead in vertical sections is a good way to get killed.

If it comes down to it, beat the game in Rising mode first, buy the 30 life ability, and then play coop. Need points? Just do the gator milk trick I described earlier. It's an easy 30+ million and you can grab some sandwiches while you wait.

Kafel

Banned
Uh, I've just read that you can unlock the extra characters at the end of the game. Paying for them is for lazy people apparently.

Gowans

Kafel said:
Uh, I've just read that you can unlock the extra characters at the end of the game. Paying for them is for lazy people apparently.
Oh really. Anyone confirm this, if so I'm willing to recant my no buy statement.

xbhaskarx

PepsimanVsJoe said:
If it comes down to it, beat the game in Rising mode first, buy the 30 life ability, and then play coop. Need points? Just do the gator milk trick I described earlier. It's an easy 30+ million and you can grab some sandwiches while you wait.

What is this?

xbhaskarx said:
What is this?

From the OP:

OP said:
Rising Mode - Converts your score into points that can be used to buy permanent character upgrades!

Played a little bit this morning, good stuff. Man, Arc is sooooo good at 2D animation, it's insane. The game controls well too. Hopefully those two characters are unlockable in the game and not by "buying" them with Allard Bucks.

Teknoman

HadesGigas said:
lol "lacking tutorial". It's fucking Contra.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
By the way COOP fans, the person you play with better have some sort of implant in their brain so they know exactly what you're going to do at all times. Rushing ahead in vertical sections is a good way to get killed.

Kafel said:

Yup it's Contra. Im gonna be in overdrive today.

Ugh... The QTE at the end of the first level is such bullshit. What a cheap death that was... And it was my last life so I had to fight the boss all over again. Not fun at all.

Teknoman

Im usually not for QTEs after boss fights, but with a game like this, you probably should be on your toes at all times. Of course I just beat Vanquish last night...and those qtes seemed fair, so maybe i'm in a good qte mood.

Teknoman said:
Im usually not for QTEs after boss fights, but with a game like this, you probably should be on your toes at all times. Of course I just beat Vanquish last night...and those qtes seemed fair, so maybe i'm in a good qte mood.
Well I did press A to jump, and the guy jumped, but I still died. I turned the game off after that, but I'm assuming you have to move the character in the air as well?

Kafel said:

Uh...what the fuck?

I beat the game with both Krystal and Bahamut. No unlocks. I already bought Sayuri anyway so if it is true well that's just fucked up.

Speaking of beating the game I can tell you all one thing.

SAYURI CAN NOT BEAT THE GAME ON HER OWN.

I was cruising through arcade mode, doing pretty well. I got up to stage 8 without using a continue.

But the second to last boss's final form is utterly impossible.

Okay the deal is here is that this guy rolls around the screen and you have to hit before it hits you, sending you clear off the platform and into a pit. Well as it turns out the guy will hit Sayuri before she gets the hit in, thus knocking her into a pit. In fact even if I score the hit first I'll still end up getting hit.

So not only have I lost my chance at a 1CC I've also lost my chance at actually beating the game.

Completely fucked. FIX THIS SHIT KONAMI/ARC

desa

Remember the good old days when games had cool shit to unlock? I'll probably cave but I ain't paying for DLC characters.

Edit: YESSSSSSS!

Kafel said:

YoungHav said:
no platinum no buy

Contra does award you with platinum. Platinum balls that is.

Really impressed, bought it after playing the trial. Going to bust out the arcade stick for this but I thought it worked nicely with the pad. Triggers and bumpers for locking aim\dashing works well. Speaking of which I like the dashing a lot. Tempted to jump straight into arcade but I'm guessing I should probably start out with rising?

edit: nice its stick friendly, fully customisable controls

Teknoman

AndyMoogle said:
Well I did press A to jump, and the guy jumped, but I still died. I turned the game off after that, but I'm assuming you have to move the character in the air as well?

Wait so its not an actual QTE? I havent played the trial yet, but if its just a final boss desperation attack, then yeah you have to jump and move at the same time.

Basically never let your guard down until the victory theme plays.

Top Bottom