• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hard Corps: Uprising |OT| - I TOLD U THIS UPRISING WAS HARD CORPS!

Are the leaderboards working for anyone?

If they're still busted that means Konami/ARC knows the scoring system is broken. Hopefully that's not all they plan on patching.

Teknoman said:
Wait so its not an actual QTE? I havent played the trial yet, but if its just a final boss desperation attack, then yeah you have to jump and move at the same time.

Basically never let your guard down until the victory theme plays.
Oh, I assumed you had already played the game. Well it's a prompt that says "JUMP!" and a flashing A button. It actually happens two times on the first stage. The first time you just have to jump and the character will safely get on the ground on his/her own. The second time it's basically the same thing but I died anyway. I'm going to try it again later.

The second QTE is a mess to be honest.

I've played the game for 10 hours now and I still screw it up. It's just one of the many things about this game that hold it back.

I'm gonna go play some Neo Contra or something.

Treasure would have got this shit right. Even one of their cruddy games like Gunstar Super Heroes had the freaking scoring system correct.

Augemitbutter said:
so you can unlock the additional characters 100%? or should i start hating konami?
I seriously doubt that you can. I have looked around and I don't know where that rumor started.

Kafel said:
Uh, I've just read that you can unlock the extra characters at the end of the game. Paying for them is for lazy people apparently.

I want to believe!

waru said:
I do not understand this generation of gamers...

Millennials love validation, being told their special, and pats on the head.

For that matter all the whinging over a potential $20 price point with DLC is silly too.

New Contra game. $20 new.

That may be the lowest price point for a Contra game I can remember. I didn't get rebirth since I'm not a fan of not having an identity/account with all my information and purchases with NintendLOL.

Either way.

$20 people. :|

AndyMoogle said:
I seriously doubt that you can. I have looked around and I don't know where that rumor started.

In the DLC menu you can see that the characters are 12+ megs a piece.
You either buy them or you don't, no other way around it.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
as long as I can buy them and the game with one 20 PSN card I'm straight

but

Uh...what the fuck?

I beat the game with both Krystal and Bahamut. No unlocks. I already bought Sayuri anyway so if it is true well that's just fucked up.

Speaking of beating the game I can tell you all one thing.

SAYURI CAN NOT BEAT THE GAME ON HER OWN.

I was cruising through arcade mode, doing pretty well. I got up to stage 8 without using a continue.

But the second to last boss's final form is utterly impossible.

Okay the deal is here is that this guy rolls around the screen and you have to hit before it hits you, sending you clear off the platform and into a pit. Well as it turns out the guy will hit Sayuri before she gets the hit in, thus knocking her into a pit. In fact even if I score the hit first I'll still end up getting hit.

So not only have I lost my chance at a 1CC I've also lost my chance at actually beating the game.

Completely fucked. FIX THIS SHIT KONAMI/ARC

I hope this is fixed before I do

Sayuri was the one I wanted to play as well but this sounds retarded

Alright well I beat the game with Sayuri.

Turns out her dashing palm strike is pretty damn useful. It can dodge attacks for one thing.

I mashed that about as much as I could through the damn rolling orb BS second to final boss and lost a couple lives(mainly because he's so fast he gets me before I can recover from the last strike)...but at least I'm past him.

The thing to take into account though is this was on rising mode and I put a couple upgrades into Sayuri's attack-power.

So I'll take back what I said about Sayuri not being able to beat the game. Now she can't beat the game...without dying.

Then again a lot of the deaths in this game come from bad game design so oh well.

Decado said:
Is it best to play this game w/ controller or arcade stick?

Most likely controller I'm afraid. Pretty much all of the buttons are used and a lot of the time the default settings work best.

If somebody can come up with a better setting for arcade sticks then by all means post it.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Most likely controller I'm afraid. Pretty much all of the buttons are used and a lot of the time the default settings work best.

If somebody can come up with a better setting for arcade sticks then by all means post it.

Yeah, I've tried it with my arcade stick now and theres just too many buttons you need to access at once for it to be comfortable. Find I do better with controller.

Air Zombie Meat said:
Yeah, I've tried it with my arcade stick now and theres just too many buttons you need to access at once for it to be comfortable. Find I do better with controller.

Dammit.

I was hoping it would be a great game to use an arcade stick for.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
YoungHav said:
no platinum no buy
Take a moment to consider that you now have to be bribed by digital trophies to play video games. I don't know what's worse, this or the people complaining about the difficulty in a Contra game.

Kron

Banned
Has anyone else got a problem with the loading times? For some reason it takes 4-5 minutes just to load stage 1 (arcade and Rising mode). I've been told it should take about 30 seconds.

Its totally unplayable for me due to this.

This is the 360 version btw.

ICallItFutile said:
How badly? I had trouble distinguishing yellow and green in Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo HD Remix.
So did I.

Man, I can't wait to get home and try this. I haven't played a new Contra game since Contra III on SNES.

For the last 20 years I've been going back and forth between the three, Contra NES, Super C NES and Contra III SNES.

Also, $15 for a Contra game is amazing.

Sophia

ICallItFutile said:
How badly? I had trouble distinguishing yellow and green in Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo HD Remix.

Standard enemy bullets are yellow. The first stage in the trial is on a green background. I can't tell them apart half the time. Took two continues just to finish the stage.

I really like the game, but I pretty much just got turned off a buy because of this.

Marrshu said:
Standard enemy bullets are yellow. The first stage in the trial is on a green background. I can't tell them apart half the time. Took two continues just to finish the stage.
This is gonna be frustrating... D:<

All I can do is imagine being shot at by that color number dot eye test that we can never pass.

I'm definitely gonna wait for the ps3 version, the game just feels messy with the 360 D-pad/triggers.

I'm not really feelin' it so far. I was playing Shattered Soldier the other night and this just pales in comparison.

Tain

Cautiously looking forward to trying the trial when I'm done playing DFK MBL here.

Pity it sounds like the game strayed from arcade game design a bit, but that's to be expected.

Adam J.

Man I really suck at these games--couldn't even beat the demo...

Seems like a quality title though. Really enjoyed deflecting bullets back at enemies and air-dashing, that and the music is awesome as well. Part of me wants to buy it, but I think it may be too hardcore for me. Maybe when it's on sale...Really wish I would have spent my xmas points on this instead of ReArmed 2.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Marrshu said:

I really like the game, but I pretty much just got turned off a buy because of this.

Thanks for the heads up.

Kron said:
Has anyone else got a problem with the loading times? For some reason it takes 4-5 minutes just to load stage 1 (arcade and Rising mode). I've been told it should take about 30 seconds.

Same problem here. The load is terribly long in both modes.

The death screams sound absolutely awful. I think they're going for some kinda robotic filter thing? But it just sounds like distorted and poorly compressed. I had to turn the voices way down.

I played the demo on the stick and it played fine enough. I think the "arcade" setting only uses 6 buttons. Very glad it lets you configure the controls. It's a feature that's been lacking in many XBLA games.

The game needs an option to disable double-tapping forward to dash.

I hate wasting my air-dash because I tense up and then I fall to my death.

Hmm, not sure I like this enough to buy. I'm not keen on the artstyle, and the controls seem pointlessly complicated. Like Shattered Soldier, I keep wishing they'd just put in twin-stick controls rather than the 'strafe' and 'stationary attack' buttons.

xbhaskarx

Kron said:

Yeah WTF is up with this. When you say it should be 30 seconds that means it's not taking that long for everyone?? If it's not supposed to take so long has anyone with that problem tried deleting it and reinstalling?

Ricker

CitizenCope said:
"Frustrating Checkpoints"

No sale. I'm just not as good at these games as I used to be. =(

Same thing here man hehe...I can`t even finish the trial,didn`t see an easy difficulty and I don`t have the patience for games like this anymore...I could restart over and over to finally find how to beat it but I don`t want to...oh well,the intro was nice ;P ;)

Teknoman

Dark Octave said:
So did I.

Man, I can't wait to get home and try this. I haven't played a new Contra game since Contra III on SNES.

For the last 20 years I've been going back and forth between the three, Contra NES, Super C NES and Contra III SNES.

Also, $15 for a Contra game is amazing.

Man you've gotta play Shattered Soldier, Neo Contra, and 4 at least.

Wouldn't Rising mode alleviate the complaints about lack of skill? Or are folks not interested in grinding to bulk up characters for lack of actual skill at shooters? :\

Downloading now. Can't wait!

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
The Take Out Bandit said:
Wouldn't Rising mode alleviate the complaints about lack of skill? Or are folks not interested in grinding to bulk up characters for lack of actual skill at shooters? :\

Downloading now. Can't wait!

People lacking the skill complaining about it seems about the round up of this thread.

I bought it earlier but I love the game and a challenge so what the hay

Teknoman

Take out bandit, maybe you should put some Contra prerequisites in the OP or something. Just feels strange that people are complaining about the challenge in a Contra series game.

Not saying you guys arent justified, but it is Contra.

Rawker

great game, i love arc and their style ever since getting my ass handed to me by justice over and over in gg on psx. i've only played arcade mode by myself and online with someone and it was overall tough but rad at the same time. i really like how varied the enemies are and all the nuances throughout the levels (that i've played) like quick sand. now i just have to learn all the new moves/abilities.

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
betweenthewheels said:
I'm definitely gonna wait for the ps3 version, the game just feels messy with the 360 D-pad/triggers.

I'm not really feelin' it so far. I was playing Shattered Soldier the other night and this just pales in comparison.
WHAT?? in my opinion this game is much better than Shattered Soldier.

Teknoman said:
Take out bandit, maybe you should put some Contra prerequisites in the OP or something. Just feels strange that people are complaining about the challenge in a Contra series game.

Not saying you guys arent justified, but it is Contra.

I had it in the title, but the mods edited it out. If they could put (CONTRA) in there somewhere it may alleviate the issues.

Damn this game is fun. Got killed during ending chase on first level, I've always sucked at shooting behind myself while driving. :p

Best 1200 Allards I've spent in a while.

Although 360 pad isn't very good for this game. Thumb stick isn't good for tapping motions and everybody knows 360 d-pad is jank fu.

Fake Edit:

gunstarhero

This game is AWESOME. Hard as hell, but not cheap. Oddly, I'm really liking the grinding aspect of the game.

Using the samurai girl (dlc) along with a friend playing as Bahumut. Really good combo, as samurai girl goes in cloe and wipes out bosses super quick, and Bahumut provides the cover.

Just unlocked her homing jump, launch dash and dive dash... But can't seem to figure out how to use it...

The ruins is mad fun... has some great platforming. But so far the jungle takes the cake with it's son-of-a-bitch snipers! Arg! Lol.

Haters complaining its too hard should go play Angry Birds instead. ;)

Great news! Controls are fully customizable, PRAISE ARC SYSTEM WORKS!

I'm now playing this with my arcade stick. Sooo good.

Game is tough, but no worse than previous Contra games. Considering there's a generation who doesn't know Darkstalkers, I'll just go ahead and assume there's a generation that doesn't know Contra and the familiar attack patterns.

All this is is pattern recognition folks.

Love the music. Love the graphics, there's a ton of personality in the characters. I love when the bad guys fall into the sinking sand and you see a hand sticking out grasping for life. :D

I don't know where to spend my Contra Points (IT'S WHAT I'M CALLING THE CP) first. D:

gunstarhero

The Take Out Bandit said:
Great news! Controls are fully customizable, PRAISE ARC SYSTEM WORKS!

I'm now playing this with my arcade stick. Sooo good.

Game is tough, but no worse than previous Contra games. Considering there's a generation who doesn't know Darkstalkers, I'll just go ahead and assume there's a generation that doesn't know Contra and the familiar attack patterns.

All this is is pattern recognition folks.

Love the music. Love the graphics, there's a ton of personality in the characters. I love when the bad guys fall into the sinking sand and you see a hand sticking out grasping for life. :D

I don't know where to spend my Contra Points (IT'S WHAT I'M CALLING THE CP) first. D:

Ooooh - never thought of using a stick... Will have to try that asap.

And your right - most people complaint here think you can just run n' gun it. It's all about the patterns... and not just the bosses.

Should we start an online co-op gamer tag list in the OP? Let me know folks!

System | Gamer Tag | Time Zone / Region

You know why else I'm so jazzed about this intro? It's all about GUNS and rad ACTION! It's totally retro anime, the boobs aren't flopping all over the place (and there's plenty of opportunity for fanservice) and pandering to anything other than the primal impulse to WRECK STUFF! :D

gunstarhero

PepsimanVsJoe said:
There are a lot of moves that the game literally does not explain at all.
Bullet canceling, dashing, dodge-moves, etc.

Sayuri is a pain in the ass to use. She's weak as a kitten in Rising mode, Arcade mode not so much.

Wuuut? Sayuri is insanely powerful in Rising mode. She can take out the first set of mid and final bosses in world 1 in under a minute. Her charge shot is key on the forest level since it rips threw a line of enemies in one shot. Kitten my ass! Lol.

Is this game really a sequel to Contra: Hard Corps on Genesis? It can't be, can it? I mean it looks nothing like a dirty Contra game. I don't know where I heard that, maybe people were just saying it tongue in cheek since it has hard corps in the title and it's based on Contra style gameplay.

Teknoman said:
Man you've gotta play Shattered Soldier, Neo Contra, and 4 at least.
I forgot, I have Contra 4 lol. I hate to admit it, but it's too hard for me so I gave up and forgot all about it a long time ago. I think I got to the third stage, so I can't even say I really played it.

I'm old school. I beat Contra NES without dying once on a regular basis when I was nine years old and Contra 4 stomped me into the ground and made me feel like I didn't even know what a d-pad was.

SS seemed cool. I do regret not trying it out. I tried the demo of NEO and didn't care for it. Wasn't there another Contra for PS1? I can barley remember it. Then Hard Corpse on Genesis which I barley remember. It was really strange and had a fat guy or something. I maybe got to level two.

Anyway, I really like this Hard Corpse so far. I need to go and buy some points tomorrow, but the demo was fun. Turn the voice down to one square and you can still hear them, but it's not distracting or painful anymore. Only problem is you can barley hear your character's voice as well. Oh well. The graphics give me a Guilty feel but the music is Blaz Blue to me. A mix of three great games. And yeah, the "press A now" got me too. Nobody got that the first time unless they already seen it first. Arks little joke on the world I think.

Arpharmd B said:
Is this game really a sequel to Contra: Hard Corps on Genesis? It can't be, can it? I mean it looks nothing like a dirty Contra game. I don't know where I heard that, maybe people were just saying it tongue in cheek since it has hard corps in the title and it's based on Contra style gameplay.

Answer

Why did you call this game Hard Corps and not Contra?

The game is really inspired by Contra: Hard Corps. Many Contra fans realize Contra: Hard Corps is a little bit far from the regular Contra franchise. Since we’re going to link it to Contra: Hard Corps we could make this into a brand new franchise.

Easy peasy.

Instro

Dark Octave said:
I forgot, I have Contra 4 lol. I hate to admit it, but it's too hard for me so I gave up and forgot all about it a long time ago. I think I got to the third stage, so I can't even say I really played it.

I'm old school. I beat Contra NES without dying once on a regular basis when I was nine years old and Contra 4 stomped me into the ground and made me feel like I didn't even know what a d-pad was.

Contra 4 on easy should be pretty manageable if you can beat Contra. But yeah Id say 4 is probably the most difficult Contra available, on Hard mode it rivals Contra 3's Hard Mode, plus the dual screen aspect makes it pretty intense. I was able to beat it on Normal and Hard but it took a while. Felt pretty rewarding though, I really love that game.

Top Bottom