• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hard Reset |OT| Resetting the Shooter Genre, two guns at a time

Corto

scorpscarx said:
Everything that SneakyStephan said, plus even the menu's are fun in this game, good stuff.

They are fun... the first 5 seconds, then they become annoying... hehehehe

Something that I didn't noticed when you upgrade your equipment where do I check how much currency do I have and what's the cost of each upgrade?

Corto said:

Something that I didn't noticed when you upgrade your equipment where do I check how much currency do I have and what's the cost of each upgrade?

Yeah, thank god you don't have to deal with them ingame, there you get the same menus without animations.

You can see the cost at the right of the screen in the upgrade shop.
You see the 3 types (ar/energy/armor) of upgrades , a number to the right of them saying how many points you spent in each type, and a number above the 3 types saying how many points you have left to spend.

The red bar on the left of your ammo/health/armor bars at the bottom left UI circle shows how close you are to getting another upgrade (I THINK, I didn't pay that much attention to it).

I can see why people hate menu's with animation, personally I've always liked them for some oddball reason.

It only really bothers me I guess if those animations are long and the game is running like ass, aka when they exist on consoles, :).

Or if the system doesn't work and you have to keep going back to the individual ones.

I've been playing the full version all day - it's pretty good, the Doom 3ish menus are weird, and the game is hard. Really, really hard.

The main problem I've noticed so far is the gameplay is very old school, but the level design and atmosphere are clearly cribbing notes from more recent shooters. Objectives and story beats are relayed to you constantly. There are odd bits of downtime in the game that don't really fit with the shootery mayhem. It's like they couldn't really decide between making a balls-out shooter or a more methodical, cinematic first person game.

Anyway - it's good!

Doomrider

Just finished the demo. I don't know when I'll buy this, but I will, eventually. It also runs much better than I expected, considering I have such a shitty PC.

I am fascinated by the way containers open every time you shoot them, don't ask me why.

Pranay

LordAlu said:
Demo of this is good fun, gonna have to buy this when it releases.

Nice job on the OP Pranay, needs a quick edit -you've got Genre listed twice in your Information section. :)

Thanks and its Fixed.

Tain

Zenith said:
I think people are giving this waaaaaaaaaaay too much of a pass because it's billed itself "PC centric". A good FOV and AA does not make a game.

It bucks PC FPS traditions where necessary.

Namely, this game doesn't have one weakass mechanic that most classic PC first person shooters have: quicksaves. fuckin' hallelujah, I'm really happy about that.

Not crazy about the movement (feels like Painkiller's dull movement), but I'll give it some time.

rallyart

Neo Member
What an amazing surprise, I just love every single second of the demo, is fast paced, action packed, and the feel of weapons is great.

It really does feel great, especially coming off of the PC versions of Deus Ex and Dead Island -- both featuring horrific mouse acceleration and just poor feeling movement in general.

hiverbon

Neo Member
Very pleasantly surprised by the demo, the combat system with weapons, fire modes + the environment seemed really deep, and the upgrade menus? awesome!

Twinduct

Pre-ordered last week! Demo just makes the wait longer! Awesome btw (although I won't mind a static main menu .. pretty .. but good lord does it slow down the awesome).

hiverbon

Neo Member
Twinduct said:
Pre-ordered last week! Demo just makes the wait longer! Awesome btw (although I won't mind a static main menu .. pretty .. but good lord does it slow down the awesome).

Haha yeah, its easier just to load a level and then configure options from the ingame menus.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
bluedeviltron said:
It really does feel great, especially coming off of the PC versions of Deus Ex and Dead Island -- both featuring horrific mouse acceleration and just poor feeling movement in general.

Lol there's no mouse acceleartion in DX:HR at all and never was even in the unfinished leak, it's confirmed by devs. I like how people fail with those stupid assumptions. Reminds me of 3 page hysteria in Uncharted 3 beta thread until the dev chimed in and listed all list of changes they really made and all accusations were proven wrong.

subversus said:
Lol there's no mouse acceleartion in DX:HR at all and never was even in the unfinished leak, it's confirmed by devs. I like how people fail with those stupid assumptions. Reminds me of 3 page hysteria in Uncharted 3 beta thread until the dev chimed in and listed all list of changes they really made and all accusations were proven wrong.

Except you're wrong. The preview leak was completely uneven between X and Y axis mouse movement. The full release fixed this issue, though. I think you can even set X and Y axis sensitivity separately in the options now?

Wallach

TyrantGuardian said:
Except you're wrong. The preview leak was completely uneven between X and Y axis mouse movement. The full release fixed this issue, though. I think you can even set X and Y axis sensitivity separately in the options now?

Actually it was in the final retail build as well. It was fixed in the first patch received for DX:HR after retail launch.

subversus

TyrantGuardian said:

Yes, you can, but being uneven between x and y and mouse acceleraion are two different things. Mouse acceleration = the faster you move your mouse the further cursor go. You can move it with very short and fast movement and it will go further than you expected.

And I can't be wrong because it's confirmed by Nixxes on twitter and I believe devs know their game better than you.

subversus said:
Yes, you can, but being uneven between x and y and mouse acceleraion are two different things. Mouse acceleration = the faster you move your mouse the further cursor go. You can move it with very short and fast movement and it will go further than you expected.

And I can't be wrong because it's confirmed by Nixxes on twitter and I believe devs know their game better than you.

This game deserves credit for having accel and smoothing turned off by default alone.
SMH @ any dev who thinks it's a good idea to use these options, have them on by default or even worse have them LOCKED on.

subversus

SneakyStephan said:
This game deserves credit for having accel and smoothing turned off by default alone.
SMH @ any dev who thinks it's a good idea to use these options, have them on by default or even worse have them LOCKED on.

Yeah, like Bulletstorm devs.

x3sphere

I have to say, Hard Reset in stills doesn't even do it justice. When there's tons of particle effects strewn across the screen it looks incredible. One of the best looking games I've played on PC by far. The gameplay matches up, too. Taking out groups of enemies with the mortar upgrade is really satisfying.

I'm about 2 hours in (got a review copy today). So far, it's up there with Deus Ex for my favorite game of the year.

subversus said:
Yeah, like Bulletstorm devs.
And then they had the audacity to suggest pc gamers are 'raping' what their idea of the game is by changing turning off accel/smoothing.

Murder, violence, blood!

subversus said:
The dev who said it aplogized on twitter later. He said that as he isn't a native speaker he meant something else more in line with "spolied". They'd encrypted files because people could mess with leaderboards through them and they had no time to fix it. He acknowledged that they failed spectacularly.

He did what his lawyers and pr folk told him to do when he aplogised (lawyers :use of the rape term, even if he said violated or abused or fucked up -which he meant obviously, I don't care that people got offended by the word rape -> pr monkeys: being condescending to target audience)

He's an arrogant schmuck who apparently has no eye hand coordination and thinks people should have their mouse input tampered with.

Sorry for off topic rant.

ghst said:
when you alt-tab back into the game there's a reassuring "loading in-game video" message to comfort you during the the empty black "has it crashed?" void.

there's a pc dev.
I know,right, and alt tab not crashing the game, I hope you are taking notes bethesda (don't blame gamebryo because divinity II CAN alt tab a thousand times without crashes or performance issues and it uses gamebryo too).
Alt f4 works to exit, which for some bizarre reason works in less and less games:p

ghst

thanks for the laugh
when you alt-tab back into the game there's a reassuring "loading in-game video" message to comfort you during the the empty black "has it crashed?" void.

there's a pc dev.

subversus

SneakyStephan said:
And then they had the audacity to suggest pc gamers are 'raping' what their idea of the game is by changing turning off accel/smoothing.

Murder, violence, blood!

The dev who said it aplogized on twitter later. He said that as he isn't a native speaker he meant something else more in line with "spolied". They'd encrypted files because people could mess with leaderboards through them and they had no time to fix it. He acknowledged that they failed spectacularly.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Wow that demo blew me away. This game is so bought. I normally don't even like shooters but this game's atmosphere is just so cool and I like that it's not trying to be all crazily cinematic like most FPS games these days, it just lets the environment suck you in. I kept methodically looking through every corner trying to find all the explodable walls and any easter eggs. It was fun too how enemies would pop out and I'd just quickly scan my surroundings to see if there was any environmental hazard I could spring on them.
Corto said:
scorpscarx said:
Everything that SneakyStephan said, plus even the menu's are fun in this game, good stuff.
Really? I found them so natural and intuitive. Just because of the way the buttons are really big and blanket the screen, it's not like you're pixel hunting to press a button or something.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
The Stealth Fox said:
Compass that tells the player where to go? Armor regen?

Handholding™
Turn off the hints in the options menu. First thing I did after having watched the Giant Bomb quick look. Also, R toggles the compass on and off.

stuminus3

The Stealth Fox said:
Compass that tells the player where to go? Armor regen?

Handholding™
You know what's bad? In the demo I keep turning that compass feature on and off because it's mapped to what's more commonly used as the "reload" key. Except you don't have to waste your time reloading your guns here.

Old school shooters, I've missed you.

The Stealth Fox

Guys, it was a joke. I'm making fun of the people in the Deus Ex: HR thread who complained about highlighting and objective markers when you can turn them off.

I'm not anti-modern gaming. I'm not anti-old school either. I personally think it's okay to make concessions towards the modern crowd like health/armor regen.

Coxswain

The game is actually pretty streamlined and simplified. Apart from the shields regenerating (so that you can't ever be easily one-shotted), there's universal ammo for all five firing modes of each gun, and your ammo regenerates (up to 50, I think). No reloading, and no crouching.

That it still spanks every other current FPS on the market in terms of combat should be taken as a sign that maybe everyone making these games has been focusing on the shit that doesn't matter.

scitek

The engine these guys have created is quite a piece of work. The physics, combined with the particle effects, lighting--and whatever other technical terms I don't know because I'm an ignorant tool...it's really impressive that it looks like it does, and runs as well as it does considering this is an indie, unknown developer. Granted they've had experience with mainstream games, but still...impressive.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Very impressive demo BUT I could not get further than about 8 minutes in as it hard locked on me when those huge surveying ships were shining the lights in that busy district area. Was enjoying the atmosphere too. Used MLAA as I'm not sure if FSAA is better in this game. Looked and ran flawlessly with everything maxed as it should with my HW.

Teknoman

Flunkie said:
It's.. fun.... but..

I wish the demo was longer..

This. Its really refreshing though to have another FPS following the likes of Bulletstorm and preceding Serious Sam 3, that goes with imaginative environments and a sorta old school FPS feel.

I really like the fact that both weapons transform into different modes instead of just picking up weapons. Gives me a Vanquish or Metroid Prime vibe. The physics are really well done in this game (something I wish Dead Island had, as far as misc. objects).

Shot with everything on high, 4X AF and MLAA (was recommended):

D09B3818EB2CBA9883A3A952AB6A4D794DED5AB7

8896A60F9E2255E62CA4919A0C86BCBE52387D50

6EDEF96FDCC8F3F8112393BC84175EB05178286C

9104387B8935B03AAEE31E2E7F64B922F1A2714C

DBECBB3BDD30BD9D792A6BFA29CA7D316AECC53F

TheExodu5

Banned
Hmmm...SLI performance is a fair bit worse with Reduce Mouse Lag checked. But the mouse lag with it unchecked is unbearable.

Hey, I wonder how they managed to make it relatively mouse-lag free and triple buffered! This is a rarity. I guess they must optimize the buffer switching. to ensure the latest frame is always in the pipe. This might explain why it wouldn't work well with SLI (as maybe the latest frame wouldn't always be from an alternating video card).

The game runs very nicely on a GTX 570 with MLAA. It has a fair bit of slowdown with FSAA x4. It's a shame...FSAA x4 looks so much nicer. :|

Salsa

this shit is some serious goty material for me if they pull it off fine with the whole lenght.

Some insane "bosses" in that end-of-demo trailer got me all giddy

Teknoman

SalsaShark said:
this shit is some serious goty material for me if they pull it off fine with the whole lenght.

Some insane "bosses" in that end-of-demo trailer got me all giddy

Yeah, more games need insane bosses before this gen finishes.

mrfolego

Banned
How will the mod support be? What about the possibility of a community made multiplayer total conversion?

I am being too optimistic aren't I D:

bhlaab

It's a pain to have to switch to your other weapon and then switch to the sub-weapon you want, especially since the game is a fast-paced painkiller clone.

If you could set hotkeys for your favorite combos that would be nice but you can't so it's not nice

Top Bottom