• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hard Reset |OT| Resetting the Shooter Genre, two guns at a time

Grayman

SneakyStephan said:
Yeah, movement gameplay is about half of what makes oldschool shooters interesting and superior to the modern combat crap.

Q3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB80TGCQ1M8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBnirf96poo&feature=related

Painkiller
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEXhuVYS6go
(though painkiller movement was kinda dull in comparison to q3)

CS has it too but more subtle and harder to show in a video you have to feel it to know.
Wow I had not seen wallrunning in Q3/Promode before. It makes sense as it is just air control against an obstruction but very nice.

I also think PK movement is dull in comparison but HR has those large crowds of little buzz bots I was thinking that its side to side and easy back possibilities may be more useful. The maps also seemed restricted so that gaining speed and height would not open up routes.

Quake has great movement for single player but that SP has a larger focus on traversal.

scitek

When you guys buy the full version, turn the in-game music down and try it with the Tron Legacy soundtrack instead. You're welcome.

Is FSAA x4 supposed to destroy performance?

I can do 60+ with just MLAA, but using FSAA brings the framerate to upper 30's. Looks really good so far, but I'm still waiting for some reviews before I commit.

Specs as follows

1440x900
E6750 DC2D @ 3.3 GHz
GTX 560 Ti
4GB DDR2 SDRAM

Wallach

Lasthope106 said:

I can do 60+ with just MLAA, but using FSAA brings the framerate to upper 30's. Looks really good so far, but I'm still waiting for some reviews before I commit.

Specs as follows

1440x900
E6750 DC2D @ 3.3 GHz
GTX 560 Ti
4GB DDR2 SDRAM

Yeah. FSAA is the same thing as supersampling anti-aliasing. It is a large workload increase compared to MLAA.

Edit - note that I don't even know if FSAA works in the demo build. It didn't look like it was working but it caused a similar performance hit.

scitek

Lasthope106 said:

Specs as follows

1440x900
E6750 DC2D @ 3.3 GHz
GTX 560 Ti
4GB DDR2 SDRAM

It does for me. I don't know that it looks a whole lot better, either, judging from the screens I've taken with it. It still leaves a lot of jaggies. Later in the game, things can get really hectic, and that 60fps is gonna dive at times.

So what do higher difficulty settings do? Just make the AI better, or does it do the lazy thing and make the enemies bullet sponges and do extra damage?

On normal I had enemies walking into lightning traps and shit.

Grayman

Obsessed said:
So what do higher difficulty settings do? Just make the AI better, or does it do the lazy thing and make the enemies bullet sponges and do extra damage?

On normal I had enemies walking into lightning traps and shit.
It makes it possible to die! Not sure if it is bullet sponging as I never scientifically checked damage but on insane the bigger enemies take more than seems reasonable (several charged shots, bombs galore, or most of your ammo if you spray). I pelted one with several grenades on my last play.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Quicksaving of sorts is possible it turns out. Saw this on the Steam forum.

Open the console (ctrl+~), type save, and then when you die, press F9, or go into the load game menu, you'll go back to where you were when you typed save.

Or just bind save to F5 with the console command "bind F5 save"

scitek

train4r7b.gif

coopolon

panda21 said:
has this been posted yet?
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/09/09/wot-i-think-hard-reset/

little bit disappointing sounding :(

Yah, he really trashes the game. Glad I'm passing on it, I look forward to picking it up for a fiver or so during a Steam sale just to see the environments. It still boggles my mind they are using checkpoints.

Another example of why achievements are bad, or least detrimental. If you change the difficulty from higher to lower you can't change back.

John Walker said:
Despite having two or three hours of good fun from it...

I'm getting some pretty serious graphics glitches in the demo. Half the screen is missing, all black (usually the top half), and it's flickering like crazy. Obviously completely unplayable. ANyone had similar issues?

Running a 5870, fwiw.

Sysgen

panda21 said:
has this been posted yet?
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/09/09/wot-i-think-hard-reset/

little bit disappointing sounding :(

Not here to defend something I haven't played throughout but it sounds hardcore and old school. Isn't a $50-60 game so wasn't expecting perfection.

WHOAguitarninja said:
I'm getting some pretty serious graphics glitches in the demo. Half the screen is missing, all black (usually the top half), and it's flickering like crazy. Obviously completely unplayable. ANyone had similar issues?

Running a 5870, fwiw.

Turn off AA and force MLAA or similar.

coopolon

WHOAguitarninja said:

Running a 5870, fwiw.

turn off AA in CCC (or Radeon Pro)

scitek

I'm at around 4 hours of playtime, all on Normal. I don't know how far from the end I am, but I've enjoyed everything I've played to this point. I've not really had a problem with the checkpoints. And you can create your own quicksave button in the console. I like taking time out to search around for cracks in the walls or powerups on top of places and seeing how to get up there. Maybe that doesn't appeal to everyone.

coopolon

scitek said:
I'm at around 4 hours of playtime, all on Normal. I don't know how far from the end I am, but I've enjoyed everything I've played to this point. I've not really had a problem with the checkpoints. And you can create your own quicksave button in the console. I like taking time out to search around for cracks in the walls or powerups on top of places and seeing how to get up there. Maybe that doesn't appeal to everyone.

That's pretty cool.

scitek

coopolon said:
That's pretty cool.
Someone mentioned it somewhere here. Ctrl+~ Brings down the console and just type "bind F5 (or whatever button) save" and done. F9 quick loads.

Tain

lol, the review complaining about Quicksaves.

Quicksaves are pretty much the single consistent problem shared among classic PC first person shooters. These guys made the right call in avoiding that safety net with Hard Reset, just like Crytek made the right call with Far Cry.

I guess I'll see how they're placed when I play it, but I don't mind having a few big battles happen between checkpoints.

coopolon

Tain said:
lol, the review complaining about Quicksaves.

Quicksaves are pretty much the single consistent problem shared among classic PC first person shooters. These guys made the right call in avoiding that safety net with Hard Reset, just like Crytek made the right call with Far Cry.

I guess I'll see how they're placed when I play it, but I don't mind having a few big battles happen between checkpoints.

Why do quicksaves bother you so much? If you don't like them, don't use them? Why is it better for designers to remove the option for other players?

Edit: Or don't abuse them anyway. I can see the point that if they implement quicksaves they won't have autosaves as often so you'd probably have to use them occasionally, but just don't abuse them in the middle of fights or whatever.

I want this game to unlock now. This is the most fun I've had with an FPS in a long time (not counting TF2 which is more for multiplayer shenanigans).

Also I actually found the game a bit easier on Hard. Maybe I'm just getting better.

I basically took down the walkers with a combination of EMP Stun Grenades, Electric Grenades, Shotgun Stun Fire, and Shotgun blasts.

<3 Shotgun so much.

scitek

Just beat it on Normal. Clocked in at 5h 35m total, but I did some searching around and captured a video, so take off probably an hour or so if you run through it. I'll be doing a video review in the next day or so.

scitek

I died a good bit on Normal, I imagine on Hard or Insane it'd take considerably longer. I do think it has a good amount of replay value, though. The core mechanics are sound enough that I just had fun messing with the different weapons and seeing which worked best on certain enemies. I'm also interested in seeing if anyone finds out how to edit things like the sprint speed/length as a few tweaks would make a big difference in the gameplay to me.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
scitek said:
I died a good bit on Normal, I imagine on Hard or Insane it'd take considerably longer. I do think it has a good amount of replay value, though. The core mechanics are sound enough that I just had fun messing with the different weapons and seeing which worked best on certain enemies. I'm also interested in seeing if anyone finds out how to edit things like the sprint speed/length as a few tweaks would make a big difference in the gameplay to me.

well, I suspected that it should be highly replayable. Weapons make a big difference.

Hawk SE

I'm enjoying my time with my review copy of the game. Some minor improvements from the preview build I played last month.

All of the complaints on the RPS review are things that I don't mind whatsoever. I enjoy replaying the same sections over and over again trying to perfect my approach (I play Cave shmups, derp) and the length won't bother me if the game is REALLY hard on Insane difficulty. Like, it actually takes me 20+ tries on each stage to clear it. It should extend my time with the game well past 20 hours, I hope.

The one thing I did agree with is the weapon switching. They really need to patch in a button press queue when switching weapons because right now, if you click before the weapon is "off cooldown", it will just completely ignore your button press, so you actually have to have perfect timing in order to switch at the earliest possible moment. Not good when you're being swarmed by enemies and quickly need to pick up a close-range weapon that won't blow your own face off.

StuBurns

Banned
The RPS review did make me happy I hadn't preordered. I'm still looking forward to it, but now I'll hold off a little till a sale.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
I think I'm just gonna wait for a sale. The game does look beautiful (that train gif is stunning), but 4 hours is just too short for me to spend $30 on. And I just know this will be in the Steam holiday sale, so I shouldn't have to wait too long.

Hawk SE

Yeah our review scale uses money as the "score" system. So I'd say you'd guess right. There isn't any special unlockables or multiplayer to procure longevity. You can go back and replay levels for higher scores and medals, but some people may not be into that.

scitek

subversus said:
well, I suspected that it should be highly replayable. Weapons make a big difference.

Yes, and I didn't even unlock all the weapons on one playthrough. The proximity mine, for example. Haven't used it yet, so I'll probably play again to see how it handles certain enemies. Favorite weapon was probably the Railgun, though. I haven't played a game with a good one of those in a while.

MasterShotgun said:
I think I'm just gonna wait for a sale. The game does look beautiful (that train gif is stunning), but 4 hours is just too short for me to spend $30 on. And I just know this will be in the Steam holiday sale, so I shouldn't have to wait too long.

It is 4 hours for a single playthrough. Are you really only going for one playthrough when the game has multiple weapons and multiple upgrades?

StuBurns said:
The RPS review did make me happy I hadn't preordered. I'm still looking forward to it, but now I'll hold off a little till a sale.
25 dollars isn't a sale?
You are just telling devs they should release at 60 because otherwise they damage the perceived value of their game...

Didn't you post a lot in the bulletstorm thread? Apparently a 6 hour game is worth 60 bucks to you.

RPS guy sounds pretty pissed that the game punished him for getting cornered and dying, boo hoo.
Sick of handholding everyone is a winner games, getting punished for dying needs to come back in more games.

SneakyStephan said:
25 dollars isn't a sale?
You are just telling devs they should release at 60 because otherwise they damage the perceived value of their game...

Didn't you post a lot in the bulletstorm thread? Apparently a 6 hour game is worth 60 bucks to you.

RPS guy sounds pretty pissed that the game punished him for getting cornered and dying, boo hoo.
Sick of handholding everyone is a winner games, getting punished for dying needs to come back in more games.
Well, you're going to love the hell out of Hard Reset. It's a great game and it is devoid of any and all hand holding.

coopolon

SneakyStephan said:
25 dollars isn't a sale?

Who the hell paid $60 for Bulletstorm? That thing was $20 in matter of weeks.

scitek

Hard Reset helps in ways I don't mind, like the arrow pointing where to go at the top of the screen. It's effortless to get rid of and bring back once you clear a room, and it works really well. The hint boxes can get annoying since they can be in the way at times, but they're not bad.

Tried the demo. The gameplay is fun, but quite simplistic and aged for something releasing in 2011. If i'm really honest, I prefer where we're at now for shooters - cover systems, stealth, choice of play style etc, as opposed to the straight up blasting of *older* shooters like Hard Reset. Visually I wasn't impressed either, as it doesn't seem to be pushing the boundaries in any particular way - for example, a game like Crysis 2 runs better and looks much better on my PC. The art style is fairly drab and forgettable too, lots of greys and uninteresting mechanical designs that are reminiscent of something like Enslaved or a generic UE3 title. One area I did really like surprisingly enough was the music. Overall, I think this is more of a budget title that really isn't that deserving of the nostalgia driven "PC GOTY" praise. I will pick it up, but only when it hits £5 in the Steam sale.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I had fun in the demo just messing around with some of the different upgrades. Experimenting with the different weapons is obviously the main selling point of this game and I pre-ordered it immediately because of that. Plus, some screens show some amazing looking bosses, looking forward to that.

If HR is only 4 hours, that's more of a plus than a negative for me. Nothing worse than a game that outstays its welcome, and 4-5 is the sweet spot for this type of game. Plus, if the campaign's good, it'd be really tempting to start over choosing different mods.

At this price point, it's really hard not to cave for a game like Hard Reset.

leng jai

Sad that a game from a quality developer is released at $30 and people are still saying they'll wait for the bomba price.

Top Bottom