• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hard Reset |OT| Resetting the Shooter Genre, two guns at a time

Blizzard

Banned
The demo was decent. It ran well (ultra settings, 4x FXAA, ran fine on e8400 and 5850) and it looked nice.

I like the idea of weapon upgrades, but I only got like...2 upgrade points in the first section of the game, and 1-2 points on the last battle (and the battle is too hectic to upgrade in the middle). Even on normal difficulty I died like 10 times before finishing the second battle.

I feel like if I could get more upgrade points and try upgrades it would be nice. Some weapons seemed really weak. I also felt like some sort of enemy response would be helpful, since I could shoot the little robots a lot with the rifle, but not be sure whether I was nearly hitting them, or just not doing enough damage until they actually exploded.

The main game menu is a prime example of someone being really clever and creative with a menu when I would actually prefer instant-switching static menus. I just want to change one graphics option, please don't make me wait through 20 seconds of animation. XD

And speaking of weapon combos, I was trying to figure out the energy weapon's right click EMP pulse. I thought I would be able to stun, then switch to rifle to finish enemies off, but instead there was a huge weapon switch delay, like you'd have to wait for it to cool down before you could switch to the Q weapon (and I couldn't seem to see or hear any indication that let me know I shouldn't try that switch at that point in time).

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Blizzard said:
The demo was decent. It ran well (ultra settings, 4x FXAA, ran fine on e8400 and 5850) and it looked nice.

I like the idea of weapon upgrades, but I only got like...2 upgrade points in the first section of the game, and 1-2 points on the last battle (and the battle is too hectic to upgrade in the middle). Even on normal difficulty I died like 10 times before finishing the second battle.

I feel like if I could get more upgrade points and try upgrades it would be nice. Some weapons seemed really weak. I also felt like some sort of enemy response would be helpful, since I could shoot the little robots a lot with the rifle, but not be sure whether I was nearly hitting them, or just not doing enough damage until they actually exploded.

The main game menu is a prime example of someone being really clever and creative with a menu when I would actually prefer instant-switching static menus. I just want to change one graphics option, please don't make me wait through 20 seconds of animation. XD

And speaking of weapon combos, I was trying to figure out the energy weapon's right click EMP pulse. I thought I would be able to stun, then switch to rifle to finish enemies off, but instead there was a huge weapon switch delay, like you'd have to wait for it to cool down before you could switch to the Q weapon (and I couldn't seem to see or hear any indication that let me know I shouldn't try that switch at that point in time).
I think I got 4 upgrade points before last fight.
Protip: Shoot everything explosive (This includes cars)

Blizzard

Banned
Hazaro said:
I think I got 5 upgrade points before last fight.
Protip: Shoot everything explosive (This includes cars)
Ah, I didn't shoot cars and mailboxes since I figured I might run out of ammo.

Grayman

Played the demo until I died on insane. Its fun, could maybe use a few less waste high fences. The early levels are at least making use of switches though, better than FPS 2009 map.

Gonna be attempting to try this demo latter tonight if college work pans out... What's the GAF consensus, is it pretty much a fun unique shooter...because that's what I'm looking for.

Grayman

TheExplodingHead said:
Gonna be attempting to try this demo latter tonight if college work pans out... What's the GAF consensus, is it pretty much a fun unique shooter...because that's what I'm looking for.
seems fun. robots rush at you in swarms or strong single ones. The weapon switch is a little slow which may put a cap on how crazy it can get with comboing the unique guns. Did not seem to have any jumping tricks. The level design is better than cinematic corridor games, painkiller, but lesser than DOOM and Duke so far. Nothing on quake levels either because what I saw was flat.

It might be really good though. I liked what i played but need to be up early for work.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
You can hide from big robots in the garage in the last area for some time until they destroy the door. But I took them down faster from there.

Explore the area, people.

NIN90

Dunno, was kinda boring. Shooting robots wasn't all that fun for some reason. Plus there is no movement gimmick from what I can tell.

Bummer because I loved Painkiller.

Blizzard said:

The demo doesn't support FXAA, it's MLAA (the recommended option according to the game), 2xFSAA and 4xFSAA. FSAA is just a lousy edge-blur filter and looks quite poor IMO, almost as if there is no AA at all, and even MLAA isn't that effective but it is the best AA option in the game in my testing. Of course, you can force proper FXAA using one of the Injector FXAA mods if you want.

The demo isn't too bad; visuals are neon-nice-and-shiny, art is clearly inspired by Blade Runner/Fifth Element but the gameplay is decidedly old-school with virtually non-existent A.I. that simply homes in on you in numbers. Nothing wrong with that I guess as long as you aren't expecting innovation and it is priced as a budget release.

Despite enjoying it, I'm not really sure whether I'll actually buy it as there are simply too many other good games coming out over the next few months. Personally, I think this game should have been released in the early summer when it had less in the way of competition and would have got more attention. I'd definitely have bought it then myself.

SLV

This game trully has the beauty of a PC only title. it was smooth as balls, with everything cranked up, even the mouse felt superb with v-sync at 60 Hz. Definetly going to buy this sometime. The Fx for the energy gun with the arc pattern/modification is also beautifull looking :p A simple awesome game, nothing wrong with it, with the price set out, it doesnt try to be more than that really, and rightfully so. I enjoyed it fully, also explosions feel nice.

Mr_eX

This is the best looking game I've played since Metro 2033 and this runs way better. I get about 30 FPS with everything maxed out but between 40 and 60 FPS with AA turned off. It's just a little too much for my 5770.

subversus

as somebody said the game lags sometimes with vsync but runs smooth with triple buffering. Strange but whatever.

SLV

subversus said:
as somebody said the game lags sometimes with vsync but runs smooth with triple buffering. Strange but whatever.

Well, didnt happen to me in particular.

Just finished up the demo. This is an easy purchase at $30 for an amazing looking game. Love the setting too, much more than that of Deus ex HR.

Makes me very happy I recently purchased a nice PC .

vocab

NIN90 said:
Dunno, was kinda boring. Shooting robots wasn't all that fun for some reason. Plus there is no movement gimmick from what I can tell.

Bummer because I loved Painkiller.

Sprint seems out of place. No bhop acceleration :(

Wow I had a ton of fun with the demo. This is a shooter I can actually get into.

Now my question: Is there a way to lock the framerate? My laptop can run it on mid/high settings but I get an unstable framerate going from 54-98 which can be pretty noticeable when I'm not in a firefight. If possible I'd want to lock it at 50-55 fps. I can't get a solid 60, but I can get close.

Is there any way to do this?

Actually is it even a good idea? I know games are generally locked at either 30 or 60. Is there a reason why they don't do 45, 50, and those kinds of numbers?

Also dat Gravity Grenade... soo funnnnnnnnn.

SalsaShark said:
Not necesarelly, but it works like that in some games if youre going above 60. Havent tried on this one.

Yeah I just tried it. It keeps it from going above 60. Thanks.

And I'm so bad at this. The boss fight wrecks me and I'm playing on normal mode.

scitek

Obsessed said:

And I'm so bad at this. The boss fight wrecks me and I'm playing on normal mode.

You can use the trial version of Dxtory. http://dxtory.com/v2-home-en.html

Open it and look for this tab and set Limit Video FPS to whatever framerate you want:

dxtorygkkp.jpg

Then minimize it, and open whatever game you want to play and it'll automatically be limited to the framerate you set. Works for every game I've tried it with.

Weenerz

Banned
Obsessed said:

Take out their legs, makes them easy.

scitek

19 & 21 said:
I wrote a review of the game today but I honestly have no idea if it's frowned upon to pimp one's work here. Yea or neigh?
It's fine to post your reviews from my own experience, but if you have a review copy and are writing it for a site, there's an embargo till Sep. 13th.

Carm

Someone on another forum that is reviewing it was saying he clocked under 4 hours to complete it.. That may be a deal breaker even at the current steam discount.

subversus

Carm said:
Someone on another forum that is reviewing it was saying it he clocked under 4 hours to complete it.. That may be a deal breaker even at the current steam discount.

what?

well, 4 hours is definitely not good, but on the other hand the game is built like old arcade games which were short but warranted multiple walkthroughs by high replayability and encouraged them with scores. I'm ok with that.

scitek

I've got 3 hours in it so far, but I replayed some earlier parts to capture a video and whatnot. Good news is I've had fun with every bit of it so far. And I'm only playing on Normal.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Deadbeat said:
19 & 21, how long is the game?
I could see 4 hours if you're going through on a second run and die once or twice tops, but I'd place any play through on normal around 5-6 depending on if you look for secret areas and all that. It was short, but like I said in the review if you're into leaderboard competition you'll get the most out of it. If you're just gonna go through it once, maybe wait for a sale.

Carm

19 & 21 said:
I could see 4 hours if you're going through on a second run and die once or twice tops, but I'd place any play through on normal around 5-6 depending on if you look for secret areas and all that. It was short, but like I said in the review if you're into leaderboard competition you'll get the most out of it. If you're just gonna go through it once, maybe wait for a sale.

The problem regarding the bolded for me is, I haven't played a game with leaderboards where the top spots aren't hacked to high heaven already, so what's the point of trying?

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Carm said:
The problem regarding the bolded for me is, I haven't played a game with leaderboards where the top spots aren't hacked to high heaven already, so what's the point of trying?
Hopefully the game has friends list leaderboards. You can add people from GAF who buy the game if no one you know has it.

Also I just realized I've spent 2 hours and 20 minutes with the demo according to the in-game clock.

vocab said:
Sprint seems out of place. No bhop acceleration :(
This.
If any Hard reset dev reads this topic, pitch the idea will ya.
Just ditch the lame sprint button and give us strafejumping and strafejump acceleration.

You made a pc game (a kickass one) so there is noone to dumb it down for.

Grayman

SneakyStephan said:
This.
If any Hard reset dev reads this topic, pitch the idea will ya.
Just ditch the lame sprint button and give us strafejumping and strafejump acceleration.

You made a pc game (a kickass one) so there is noone to dumb it down for.
this would be sweet. While not as good movement PK style accelleration might suit the weapons and monsters well.

Grayman said:
this would be sweet. While not as good movement PK style accelleration might suit the weapons and monsters well.
Yeah, movement gameplay is about half of what makes oldschool shooters interesting and superior to the modern combat crap.

Q3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB80TGCQ1M8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBnirf96poo&feature=related

Painkiller
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEXhuVYS6go
(though painkiller movement was kinda dull in comparison to q3)

CS has it too but more subtle and harder to show in a video you have to feel it to know.

Top Bottom