• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hard Reset |OT| Resetting the Shooter Genre, two guns at a time

Fun game, finished it tonight. Certainly calls back to the classic days of PC FPS.

I really wish the movement speed was closer to Doom, but overall the short burst sprint and slower movement fits well into the combat design. It makes the rammers more irritating than they would be with classic foot speed, as you have a slim chance of dodging them without using the environment to hang them up.

This game would have benefited from a Doom Imp type enemy, something tougher than the buzzsaws, but less than the rammers. Arm them with a slower projectile attack that could be dodged with proper recognition, and the combat possibilities would have really opened up.

I admit some of this might just be feeling some nostalgia for the Imp and Demon combo from Doom. Those two enemies complimented each other, and made for more fun combat scenarios, than perhaps any other combo in FPS history.

Hard Reset misses that type of synergy with it's enemies.

msv

Agreed. I'm finding now that the weapon switching is too slow as well. Getting overrun by the RPG guys and two of those rammers with heads at the moment. Can't really do anything. Trying to quickly switch between RPG and Mortar, but it only lets you switch after the firing procedure is completely over (and it doesn't pick up the switch before that, so just before isn't gonna pick up). It's kind of frustrating.

How are you guys finishing this so quickly btw? Maybe I shouldn't have started out with hard, hehe.

scitek

I like how the one guy asks if the dev posting there could help him out, and the dev basically says, "I could, but it's too much fun watching you guys figure it out yourselves."

scitek

spindoctor said:
How come this game never made it to Green Man Gaming?

I dunno. It was apparently supposed to, and it was to be a Steam key. http://forums.greenmangaming.com/topic/591/

RobertClarke said:
Thanks, SKFS.

When people started asking for it I chased it up with our commercial director, who very quickly got in touch with them and we figured it would be up within a week.

Since then we've actually had very little contact with the publishing team. This could mean anything from the publishing team being very busy to something more complicated with rights, but it is on our radar, as soon as the publishers get back to us, we'll quite happily get the game up. The product page and everything else is literally ready to go!

Rob

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2134283
Hashmallum said:
Patch 1.01 changes:

Benchmark Mode - You can access the Benchmark mode in the 'Extras' menu.
Command line benchmark mode - Benchmark is also accessible from the Windows command line - in order to launch it enter hardreset.exe -benchmark.
Additional Mouse button bindings - You can bind the 4th and 5th mouse buttons.
All keys button bindings - you can now bind all the buttons on Numerical Keypad (except forn number 5).
Sprint (shortly) even while still recharging - Sprinting is now possible at any moment - you don't have to wait till the sprint bar fills up.
Sprint will now charge 20% faster than before.
Disable Weapon Cool-down period - Weapon cooldowns are disabled now. You can change weapon modes while the weapon is on cooldown.
Improved the time between switching between N.R.G. Weapon adn CLN Firearm.
Single Switch-Weapon Button - the F key will now switch between weapons.
Mid-game difficulty change - You are now able to switch difficulty midgame (the lowest difficulty ever chosen during the whole run determines the achievements unlocked)."
Disable sprint effects - You are now able to disable Motion Blur and Fov widening while in sprint. Tick the appropriate box in Game options menu.
In-game Score report - You are now able to check your Mission stats while in-game pressing the Tab key.
Disable logos - You are now able to disable starting logos in the Game options menu.
Small healthpacks now regenerate 20 HP instead of 30 HP.
Audio mode detection - The game will display the current system Audio Mode in Audio Options
Triple Buffering - Added in Video Options
MLAA antyaliasing was substituted with FXAA antyaliasing.
Various improvements with game geometry

We introduced the changes you were writing that you want, hope you will have fun.
Stay tuned as we will have some more things coming.

epmode

"Single Switch-Weapon Button - the F key will now switch between weapons."

NICE

I'm kind of surprised this wasn't in for the launch version but it's still nice to see! And we can disable the intro video without editing stuff! I'm really liking this developer.

panda21

hmm sounds like 1.01 fixes the weapon switch problem? sometimes in the demo it would just ignore your key press

really want to pick this up since the demo was great except for the weapon switching not responding sometimes being kind of annoying, and it sounds like they addressed a lot of the criticisms reviewers had.

panda21

Keiician said:
Wasn't it a cooldown problem?

i'm not sure what the cooldown is? i just noticed a few times i would try to switch weapons and it would ignore the first key press. i think the RPS review complained about it too.

ArjanN

Jerk said:
Geez, I almost regret playing this on insane. There is this one post-sewer section...

Beating Atlas without energy weapons on insane the first run was near rage inducing. The final boss was pretty hard as well.

Jerk

Banned
ArjanN said:
Beating Atlas without energy weapons on insane the first run was near rage inducing. The final boss was pretty hard as well.

Yeah. Had I known that the game would get this difficult, I would have been more judicious with some of my early spending. Getting the shotgun has been my greatest regret thus far.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
There was one room that was super tough for me. It was the room with 2 staircases side-by-side with the ranged and melee bi-pedal dudes spawning all over. After dying over and over the strategy I came up with was running up the stairs and shooting at them until they closed in on me, then jumping over the railing back down and repeating that.

The thing that actually made me turn off the game for the night was the final boss, it felt impossible. But then I got up the next morning and suddenly I was totally in the zone, killed him, and wondered how I had trouble with it.

ArjanN

Jerk said:
Yeah. Had I known that the game would get this difficult, I would have been more judicious with some of my early spending. Getting the shotgun has been my greatest regret thus far.

The shotgun is good against the little circle saw/blade guys.

I found the minethrower with the upgrade that lets you detonate mines manually very useful against everything but the bosses. Once you get that upgrade you can use it like the grenade launcher except you don't miss because you just detonate the mines when they're close to an enemy.

Grayman

Shotgun and Mortar is my usual prepared combo because it gives me ways to deal with swarms of small bots or freeze bigger stuff. Having the grenade launcher or rpg active leads to trouble when the game puts a surprise too close.

minigun and blaster are 2 weapons i have not found a best use for. Non-charged plasma also seems not too useful.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Whoa. Tried the demo just now on a whim. This came out of nowhere for me. But Dark Souls comes out this week...crap. Amazing demo though. Went from a "WTF is Hard Reset" to "OMG I need this in my life now"

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
WanderingWind said:
But Dark Souls comes out this week...crap.
Hard Reset is so short, that you shouldn't have any problems with finishing it before DS comes out.

scitek

Would $20 be cheap enough for people to bite on this game instead of $30? I think Flying Wild Hog should have a sale when the next patch hits.

scitek said:
Would $20 be cheap enough for people to bite on this game instead of $30? I think Flying Wild Hog should have a sale when the next patch hits.

Don't know if people will bite at $20. I'm thinking more like $15 or so. But definitely, once the price comes down, I would hope that this will entice more people to buy who were otherwise scared off by the $30 price tag.

Is there a game out there with an audio performance half as good as Hard Reset's? I'm disappointed in BF3's sound as HR completely blows it out of the water in terms of explosions and stuff.

If you own a proper sound system you should buy this game based on the incredibly crisp sound alone. Honestly.

leng jai

Imp the Dimp said:
Is there a game out there with an audio performance half as good as Hard Reset's? I'm disappointed in BF3's sound as HR completely blows it out of the water in terms of explosions and stuff.

If you own a proper sound system you should buy this game based on the incredibly crisp sound alone. Honestly.

HR sounds fantastic bar one thing - the guns sound weak. Lets not get carried away either, BF3 handily beats any game in the audio department.

EDIT: Here are some games: Medal of Honor 2010, Mirrors Edge, Wipeout, Red Dead Redemption, Dead Space 2, Uncharted 1/2, Metal Gear Solid 4

Moaradin

Imp the Dimp said:

What the shit?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Patchnotes

What's new?
New Survival Mode. Two new maps are available: 'Arrival Hall' and 'Landing Pad'.
To launch Survival Mode, select 'New Game' and then 'Survival Mode'
Survival Mode is available in all the difficulty levels selectable for Hard Reset Campaign.
Added Leaderboards for the Survival Mode.
Full Nvidia 3dVision support.
Full Nvidia Surround support.
Support for multiple displays - recommended 3 display adapters for best effects, and several non-standard resolution modes.
To select the triple display mode in the game, change the Aspect Ratio to 'Other' in the Video Options menu, then select a resolution you wish to use.
Note that the 'Other' mode will be available only if you have 3 displays connected to your PC.
Added a 'Details' tab in the Profile screen - now you are able to check the score you achieved on each of the game's levels.

What's changed?
During bullettime, falling down won't cause additional damage to players.
Changed the way how the Mortar Cyborgs react to player in vicinity.
Crawling gorillas will explode when trying to jump off a higher place.
Changed the way how Melee Cyborgs behave - now you are able to avoid their attacks while sprinting - their aoe frontal cone was lowered.
All the crosshairs will be displayed in an appropriate way to objects in front of the player for 3dVision.
Changed the way how the messages and hints are displayed to a way more appropriate for 3dVision.
Changed the way how dynamic lightning is rendered on decals.
Changed the way how weapons are displayed on screen.
Changed the way how the HUD is displayed both in 3d and on multiple displays.
Improved support for dual SLI users.

Have fun guys

Finally some SLI love, I should finally be able to play the game :I

edit : nah, still crappy performance sigh...

Survival mode is KILLING me. It's shockingly hard, really. Talk about extending the longevity of the game - I can definitely see playing this just for seeing what wave I can reach - haven't gotten past Wave 7 on Normal yet. My attempts on Insane have been completely laughable.

scitek

Interesting news, they're releasing a retail version of the game next March called Hard Reset: Extended Edition.

The retail edition will come packed with new content such as: an upgraded graphics engine, four new enemies, two new levels for survival mode, two additional hours of gameplay with the addition of five new levels, a new boss character, and additional gameplay elements such as a new back-story.

http://www.vg247.com/2011/12/13/kalypso-to-release-hard-reset-extended-edition-in-us-march-2012/

New screens with the updated engine:

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
if they don't update Steam version with all these changes I won't buy a single game from them unless it's really, really awesome.

scitek

Let them know that. They've been good about listening to their fans so far. I'm sure a lot of people feel the same way, including me.

Spoo

Yeah, I bought this day-1 on Steam; I'm actually okay for paying for additional levels and stuff, seeing as how I feel I got my money's worth, but I wouldn't want to be left without any engine upgrades they have that generally make what I already own better.

Top Bottom