• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hard Reset |OT| Resetting the Shooter Genre, two guns at a time

zkylon

zkylewd
patch notes said:
2. Added a Fast Menu option in the Main Menu
Poland = WIN.

Didn't like the demo all that much (mainly the corridor design), but i'd like to support them, somewhat, so first sale, no matter how shitty, will get a purchase from me. Your move, Gabe.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
terrific...

new drivers made the game go from unplayable to broken...

*** Crash Log ***

Crash timestamp: 2011-09-13 20:50:34

[Application info]

Version: 1.0
Compilation timestamp: Sep 6 2011 15:20:33

[Minidump]

Minidump written successfully to file: crash.dmp

[Exception]

EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION, error writing location 0x6B5CBAC6

[Callstack]

<unknown-symbol> - <unknown-file>
ReadFile()+280 - <unknown-file>

[Squirrel callstack]

*FUNCTION [unknown()] d:\Perforce\solaris1818\roadhog_hr_final_demo_public\bin\data/scripts/main\gameSystem\world.nut line [1791]
*FUNCTION [DoCacheing()] d:\Perforce\solaris1818\roadhog_hr_final_demo_public\bin\data/scripts/main\gameSystem\world.nut line [1872]
*FUNCTION [LoadMapInternal()] d:\Perforce\solaris1818\roadhog_hr_final_demo_public\bin\data/scripts/main\gameSystem\world.nut line [3057]

[Memory]

Total reserved: 113.184.768 bytes
Total commit: 719.867.904 bytes
Total free: 1.314.365.440 bytes
Largest free: 546.902.016 bytes

I get this every time I try to load the game ( demo )

Awesome review scitek, seriously informative unlike the empty buzzword shit from the usual 'journalists'.

Man why isn't this game a top seller on steam and why isn't this thread on the front page.

Go buy it you heathens, can't call yourself master race members if you don't support this.....

Corky

Anyone with SLI running the game? I'm getting very odd performance. 60 fps with 1 card, 70 fps with 2 cards >_<

SLV

Liking the game so far, reminds me so much of good old Painkiller, those were the days of scareing my self shitless :p The game itself is fine though, having loads of oldschool fun, if not for some tiny immersion breaking stuff i discovered early on...

scitek

SneakyStephan said:
Awesome review scitek, seriously informative unlike the empty buzzword shit from the usual 'journalists'

How sad is it that despite that, those places are ultimately where I wish I could work someday?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Completed the first level.

feels good.

scitek said:
How sad is it that despite that, those places are ultimately where I wish I could work someday?

very sad!

SLV

You'l get there someday :)
Uploading that glitch of sorts to youtube as we speak, well not really a glitch but, oh well you will see for yourself, was like a blast from the past for me atleast :D

Corky

scitek said:

maybe you could bring some well needed change ;)

SLV

I do realize that, that it is like that in all games, i know it very well, i just didnt think id stumble across something like that so easily, hence the 90's gaming reference IMO.
Anyway dont take it seriously, im not trying to badmouth the game or anything, just showing of, what i found :p Peace, im off to bed.

SLV

Stallion Free said:
How is that "so 90s?" when modern games still design levels the exact same way? You obviously weren't intended to get up there as you noted.

Welp, i did say that the fact that i stumbled so freely to such an area is what i consider " 90s", not the way games are designed >.<

Im off before i get lynched

scitek said:
Fuck that, aim higher, become a journalist in a respectable field. (or at least a more respectable one with higher standards, most journalism is going down the shitter, you could do some good anywhere)

scitek

SneakyStephan said:
Fuck that, aim higher, become a journalist in a respectable field. (or at least a more respectable one with higher standards, most journalism is going down the shitter, you could do some good anywhere)
Haha I can't even get the gaming sites to pay attention to me. And I just wanna be a critic, not a journalist. Maybe I could pitch my reviews to Revision 3 or Twit or something. :lol

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
This game is such a blast. I don't care if it's over soon (dunno, just entered the
train station
), I'll just play it again. Does anyone know if you can start NG+ on a higher difficulty with all your upgrades? Or do you have to stick to the same difficulty? The former would be awesome.

scitek

Creamium said:
This game is such a blast. I don't care if it's over soon (dunno, just entered the
train station
), I'll just play it again. Does anyone know if you can start NG+ on a higher difficulty with all your upgrades? Or do you have to stick to the same difficulty? The former would be awesome.
The former. :D

scitek said:
Haha I can't even get the gaming sites to pay attention to me. And I just wanna be a critic, not a journalist. Maybe I could pitch my reviews to Revision 3 or Twit or something. :lol

Why would you expect a bunch of nobodies who just fumble around in the dark on their subject matter to be able to recognise decent work?

I'd still aim higher if I were you.
Do you really want to tell your grandchildren in 40 years that you were a video game critic in your highdays?
They 'll judge you by the work of your peers, hell the youngest one will probably start crying and then you have to answer to its parents and apologise for filling their vulnerable young minds with depressing stories again.

Noone in the retirement home would want to talk to you, and you only ended up there in the first place because your children didn't want their friends to find out what you did for a living when they have them over, so they sent you away.

scitek

SneakyStephan said:
Why would you expect a bunch of nobodies who just fumble around in the dark on their subject matter to be able to recognise decent work?
This could probably be it's on thread, but it comes down to them being the only "professional" review outlets focused on gaming I know, really. It's either that, or make crappy YouTube videos and hope I get enough subs to make some money off of it. Not my thing.

Edit: nice edit lol. I review movies for a site, too.

Salsa

so bummed that i cant get this from Steam in order to save for Arkham City.. still waiting on it to pop-up on GMG :(

leng jai

This game just looks and sounds so good. Loving it.

The animation of the weapons while they're firing are really well done too.

Grayman

great review scitek. I had already bought the game but where can I watch out for your stuff for games I am thinking about in the future?

scitek

leng jai said:
When do you get a new weapon? I've played about an hour and am still using the same two from the beginning:S

There's only two main guns, but they morph into different guns. Use the upgrade terminals as said above.

EDIT: Nevermind.

Grayman said:
great review scitek. I had already bought the game but where can I watch out for your stuff for games I am thinking about in the future?

I always put my stuff on my YouTube channel, and then if I get a review copy of something, that'll be posted on ctrlaltkill.org. I do a lot of LTTP stuff, though, as I'm playing through my backlog and reviewing it as I go, so that's strictly on YouTube. I'll post new game stuff over on GameTrailers, too, and it's usually in the Featured User Movies section on the front page within a day or so.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Wow the charge shot for the N.R.G. is saving my ass. As long as you aim it well you can really wreck some shit.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Game feels fantastic. Looks amazing cranked up all the way, too. I'm really pleased with this game.

They kinda overdid SWOLLEN RED BLOOD SCREEN just a tad, though. An option to disable that would have been much appreciated, but I'll live. I guess!

Ah fuck. Just when the game was getting easy (on Insane) they start throwing enemies at me that can shoot energy particles.

I have to take down two of them and a walker. I figured I could EMP stun the walker, then run up and shotgun the shooters, but I seem to take too much damage from their shots.

What's the best way to take them down when I only have the main rifle upgrade, two shotgun upgrades, and all three plasma upgrades? Just hide, charge a plasma shot, and fire?

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Obsessed said:
Ah fuck. Just when the game was getting easy (on Insane) they start throwing enemies at me that can shoot energy particles.

I have to take down two of them and a walker. I figured I could EMP stun the walker, then run up and shotgun the shooters, but I seem to take too much damage from their shots.

What's the best way to take them down when I only have the main rifle upgrade, two shotgun upgrades, and all three plasma upgrades? Just hide, charge a plasma shot, and fire?
For the guys who shoot energy particles just strafe constantly and you should be fine. Also don't be too shy to backtrack down stairs or something to get to a safer place and let them come to you.

sykoex said:
For the guys who shoot energy particles just strafe constantly and you should be fine. Also don't be too shy to backtrack down stairs or something to get to a safer place and let them come to you.

Ok. I probably did so poorly the first time because it caught me by surprise. I'll make sure to strafe.

Kinda wish I had invested in the EMP Mortar upgrade though. A ranged stun grenade would make the fight so much easier.

Thanks for the advice.

Grayman

These fights are a lot harder without the billion upgrade points the demo offered. I am a little passed you obsessed and had to take a break because I was hitting a wall every few fights.

scitek

So, I found out that you can enable console commands again just by editing the config.cfg file in C:\Users\xxxx\Documents\Hard Reset\profiles\xxxx (xxxx being your usernames)

Just remove the # in front of the line you want to edit and it should enable it in the console (I copy/pasted each line and moved it up to the top with the other enabled commands, just to be sure, though). I'm hoping it's possible to get rid of the red jelly that clouds the screen when you get hit. I tried changing g_enable_blood to 0, and the jelly's still there, just no longer red. :\ I found a command to get rid of the hud, though, I'm gonna give that a try now.

EDIT: Bah, doesn't work. Just gets rid of the crosshair and the text in the menus.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I'm halfway through the IVth level on Insane and got to the first boss-like thing (called
Caul-Dron
), reminded me of something out of Metroid Prime. :) The shotgun and RPG came in real handy. Seems like every few encounters I fall in love with a new weapon lol.

Grayman

I should invest in more crowd control because the game introduced another run forward melee enemy. They do seem awfully familar
180px-Q2beserker.jpg

Grayman

lets start having fun:
# g_player_acceleration "8.0"
# g_player_backward_ratio "0.7"
# g_player_jumping_control_direction "0"
# g_player_aircontrol "3.0"

:D

Top Bottom