• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hard Reset |OT| Resetting the Shooter Genre, two guns at a time

scitek said:
So, I found out that you can enable console commands again just by editing the config.cfg file in C:\Users\xxxx\Documents\Hard Reset\profiles\xxxx (xxxx being your usernames)

Just remove the # in front of the line you want to edit and it should enable it in the console (I copy/pasted each line and moved it up to the top with the other enabled commands, just to be sure, though). I'm hoping it's possible to get rid of the red jelly that clouds the screen when you get hit. I tried changing g_enable_blood to 0, and the jelly's still there, just no longer red. :\ I found a command to get rid of the hud, though, I'm gonna give that a try now.

EDIT: Bah, doesn't work. Just gets rid of the crosshair and the text in the menus.
I would give up AA, sound, my left nut and future firstborn to get rid of that fucking jelly.

scitek

SneakyStephan said:
I would give up AA, sound, my left nut and future firstborn to get rid of that fucking jelly.

I'm trying different commands. Hopefully I'll stumble on the right one.

scitek

Double post again, but I found where it is. It's tied to the r_draw_hud command. If you set it to 0, you lose your crosshair and when you hit ESC, the menu is gone. So, you'll have to set it to 1 again to see that. If you don't need your crosshair, though, jelly's gone.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Grayman said:
I should invest in more crowd control because the game introduced another run forward melee enemy. They do seem awfully familar http://img.search.com/thumb/6/68/Q2beserker.jpg/180px-Q2beserker.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Hahah, yes. [u]TRESPASSAH![/u]

Man, I am just really content with this game (jam of jelly in my face aside, anyway). I am opening up more guns and alt-fire modes, clearing out mobs by juggling back and forth between this and that. It's really quite satisfying. I also have to say it's so rewarding to actually look for little secrets. Climbing along building ledges, hopping over fences, blowing up walls. Despite its linear level design, it really does kinda evoke that old, "hmm, how do I get up there ... aha!" feeling from yesterday's shooters. All I need is a rocket launcher to blast my way up floors now.

Grayman

GuiltybyAssociation said:
Hahah, yes. TRESPASSAH!

Man, I am just really content with this game (jam of jelly in my face aside, anyway). I am opening up more guns and alt-fire modes, clearing out mobs by juggling back and forth between this and that. It's really quite satisfying. I also have to say it's so rewarding to actually look for little secrets. Climbing along building ledges, hopping over fences, blowing up walls. Despite its linear level design, it really does kinda evoke that old, "hmm, how do I get up there ... aha!" feeling from yesterday's shooters. All I need is a rocket launcher to blast my way up floors now.
For being linear the game has made very good use of 2d space so far. There is enough "backtracking" as paths are opened up to view areas from different angles.

The z-axis is not used as well. I have found some vertical secrets but those paths will not work in the same situation where there is no secret. More than half the time hand railings prevent movement from high to low spots. Bad news about the rocket launcher, it is an RPG and if you shoot at your feet it bounces and turns around for a second before killing you instantly.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Wow just downed a gigantic boss. Awesome fight with multiple stages. I'm finding both the RPG and Railgun to be invaluable at the moment.

Woot I'm number 7 right now on the in-game leaderboard.

bFmzV.jpg

scitek

LastWindow said:
I just finished it and damn, it really does end abruptly. Still a pretty fun game though.
I wouldn't be surprised if they had an equally long "sequel" ready to go in three months for another $30. :p

Grayman

ok just fought the first real boss. I liked that what to do was a bit more evident than Painkiller's bosses.

That train level looks so gorgeous and the first few bots I ran into had headlights too.

scitek

Grayman said:
ok just fought the first real boss. I liked that what to do was a bit more evident than Painkiller's bosses.

That train level looks so gorgeous and the first few bots I ran into had headlights too.

Ahaha, I played Painkiller earlier this week, and I got stuck on that douche that you have to shoot the hole in the ceiling and walk him into the sunlight to kill. Fucking annoying.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Sorry for asking again, but has anyone with SLI tried the game?

Corky said:
According to the latest Steam forum's postings, SLI is still giving shitty performance. Crossfire now seems to be working, so I assume it's only a matter of time.

Corky

Puppet Shadow said:
According to the latest Steam forum's postings, SLI is still giving shitty performance. Crossfire now seems to be working, so I assume it's only a matter of time.

Oh I see, thanks. Because I recall reading somewhere that sli was in fact supported ( in the sense that if works well ) but even with the latest drivers I get like minimal scaling so I was thinking if the problem was on my end. Good to know that this ain't the case.

Level 2 finished.

Fully upgraded Shotgun and Plasma modules. I'm a fucking beast at quick burst damage right now.

Shotgun <3 <3 <3

I did miss a few secrets though. I'll get them on a replay.

kemical

Neo Member
Game is fun, but the addition of puzzles seem like a lazy afterthought! It is like they built these large arenas to support swarms of enemies, then later thought "hey we need puzzles right?" and divided them up..
Too much usage of fences to force the player to go specific ways or "solve" force field gates. With the amount of destruction and physics in the game, the flimsy fences that are impenetrable look way out of place. The game is linear in all the bad ways, and I usually don't complain about linear games. I had hoped for more of a true classic level design approach.

scitek

kemical said:
Game is fun, but the addition of puzzles seem like a lazy afterthought! It is like they built these large arenas to support swarms of enemies, then later thought "hey we need puzzles right?" and divided them up..
Too much usage of fences to force the player to go specific ways or "solve" force field gates. With the amount of destruction and physics in the game, the flimsy fences that are impenetrable look way out of place. The game is linear in all the bad ways, and I usually don't complain about linear games. I had hoped for more of a true classic level design approach.
I can't think of a single puzzle in the game.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Just beat the game on Insane difficulty, wow I thought I'd never kill that last boss. New Game EX time!

kemical said:
I always welcomed those low-key puzzles with open arms as a rest from battle fatigue and a chance to take in the atmosphere. Then as soon as I'd start to get bored I'd hear that little "whirring" robot sound telling me shit was about to go down.
scitek said:
I can't think of a single puzzle in the game.
I think kemical means the parts where you need to explore to open a door or something.

More subway goodness:
sdfsdfsfkfa.gif

02pheland

Neo Member
finished in a little under 4hours, i feel like i was just starting to really get into it and then poof,

hoping they do have a squeal planned for release soon and that more review sites start to talking about how good it is instead of the stupid little complains ive seem them come out with

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I'm really enjoying the game but I see nothing in this game except graphics that should have stopped them from releasing this on consoles. As Steam charts show the game isn't really popular and probably heavily pirated. I liked it. They should dial back graphics and release it on PSN/XBL, I want more games from them.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Great game, although railgun is a bit too strong (as usual). I love it how they have those Japanese announcements in the background, which actually make sense.

Corky

Sad to see this thread be relatively inactive :( , I guess it'll be an under the radar game for most people.

Atomski

Corky said:
Sad to see this thread be relatively inactive :( , I guess it'll be an under the radar game for most people.
Theres just to much on my plate at the moment and that wont change anytime soon. I liked the demo.. but most likely I will be waiting for a Steam sale.

Here's a review I did for Hard Reset on Armless Octopus.

4 / 5

I really enjoyed it. Certainly hearknes back to the days when FPS was kind on the PC. Absolutely beautiful world as well. I'd love to see other developers make use of that engine and those Blade Runner inspired environments.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
The game is a blast. It's a bit short but it's priced accordingly so that isn't really a problem.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Finished, took me 5 hours, 38/55 secrets found. Even though the game ended abruptly, I had no issue with the length itself, I'm all for these short campaigns. Final boss was a bit of a letdown, liked the
Atlas
fight more. Also had a lot of slowdown on the later parts with the higher enemy counts and explosions, especially at the final boss. I was fine with the 'official' lack of quick save, but when I hit this boss on hard, a few extra saves will be more than welcome.

Already started a replay on hard in EX mode and as expected New Game + does wonders for this game. You continue your path to max out everything, with a higher difficulty to spice things up.

All in all it's a really good game and it's disappointing to see the peak number of players for this today at 514. That's terrible for a new release, and completely undeserved. Disappointing to see this topic practically dead too :(

Creamium said:
Finished, took me 5 hours, 38/55 secrets found. Final boss was a bit of a letdown, liked the
Atlas
fight more. Also had a lot of slowdown on the later parts with the higher enemy counts and explosions, especially at the final boss. I was fine with the 'official' lack of quick save, but when I hit this boss on hard, a few extra saves will be more than welcome.

Already started a replay on hard in EX mode and as expected New Game + does wonders for this game. You continue your path to max out everything, with a higher difficulty to spice things up.

All in all it's a really good game and it's disappointing to see the peak number of players for this today at 514. That's terrible for a new release, and completely undeserved. Disappointing to see this topic practically dead too :(

Eh you'd think with all the master race horn tooting on gaf that more people would support this, but I guess not since the topic is dead.

Carm

Well, I know for me, I liked what I saw in the demo but once the game length was known, it went from day one, to when it hits 10 bucks. I'm not paying more than ten or fifteen bucks for a game that doesn't last more than 4 hours, on normal, for the first playthrough, no matter the replay value. I paid ten and under for big budget games with 4-6 hour single player campaigns, why would I pay more for an unknown property.

Carm said:
Well, I know for me, I liked what I saw in the demo but once the game length was known, it went from day one, to when it hits 10 bucks. I'm not paying more than ten or fifteen bucks for a game that doesn't last more than 4 hours, on normal, for the first playthrough, no matter the replay value. I paid ten and under for big budget games with 4-6 hour single player campaigns, why would I pay more for an unknown property.

Because they use the tiered pricing we on gaf always ask for, because they patched in community requested stuff before the game was even released, because it's a good game?

No you'd rather support some AAA (only in budget) big publisher owned game that shits on everything holy about gaming.

scitek

Steam sales have spoiled pc gamers is all. Not that it's a bad thing for us, but those AAA console ports are able to weather the cheap storm because they make money on the consoles. I think Hard Reset will likely do well in the next Steam sale, I just hope FWH have been smart with their money and weren't expecting huge initial sales. They're catering to a niche audience, anyway, so I kinda doubt they were.

Edit: if anyone visits other forums or anything, feel free to post some of the reviews us indie guys have done of the game. Help us and FWH both out. :p

Twinduct

Gah I pre-ordered it when it showed up on steam, but have yet to download it. Built a new gaming PC and moving everything over. BTW fuck steam back up .. fuck it so hard.

Anyway downloading now, can't wait!

Carm

SneakyStephan said:
Because they use the tiered pricing we on gaf always ask for, because they patched in community requested stuff before the game was even released, because it's a good game?

No you'd rather support some AAA (only in budget) big publisher owned game that shits on everything holy about gaming.

It doesn't have to be AAA, I won't pay more than ten or fifteen for a 4 hour game, just not gonna happen. This isn't the console space with no price competition and sixty dollar games. As for the developer supporting the game because they patched in some stuff before release, that should have been in already, I'm suppose to be happy and reward them by paying full price?

Game being released in 2011, not being triple buffered, or shown as a fix in the patch before release, is a bit boggling. It's the first game I've come across in a long time that tanks fps with vsync turned on to 30fps, yet D3Doverrider with triple buffering on my fps never dropped below 55 in the demo with everyone at max.

Dambrosi

Banned
Just finished the demo, testing out my new GTS 450. Ran butter-smooth on Ultra settings, can't complain at all. I'm well pleased. (EDIT: I, too, ran the demo with D3DOverrider on, as I do with all games on PC these days. Maybe that's why it was so smooth?)

As for the demo, I really liked it, reminded me of Painkiller a whole lot. It's only supposed to be around 4-6 hours long, though, isn't it? If so, I can't justify full price, not in my current jobless state, but I will definitely jump on it at the next Steam sale, no matter how shitty the discount is. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be able to buy the game full price, but I already bought a new graphics card and PSU (a lovely little Seasonic) for generously discounted prices just last week, and thanks to that, I'll be pretty much skint for a month.

One question, though: is it possible to get all the upgrades in one playthrough, or do you have to New Game + it to earn enough Nano to buy them all?

sykoex said:
homerwithtonguehangingoutofhismouth.jpg

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Dambrosi said:
One question, though: is it possible to get all the upgrades in one playthrough, or do you have to New Game + it to earn enough Nano to buy them all?

Not possible. There's way too much to upgrade. If you want everything maxed out, you'll have to play through it twice.

scitek

As much as I like the game, I've been cautioning everyone that it's really only worth your time if you like good games. Otherwise, pass.

If they do have a sequel planned I hope it adds more than just "the second half of the game." Or if it is just the second half of the game then it should be released at a cheaper price.

subversus said:
I'm really enjoying the game but I see nothing in this game except graphics that should have stopped them from releasing this on consoles. As Steam charts show the game isn't really popular and probably heavily pirated. I liked it. They should dial back graphics and release it on PSN/XBL, I want more games from them.

Isn't it on of the top 20 on the "top sellers" list?

It is #14 right now.

Bento

I've only just begun playing this game and I have two questions;

1.) How many upgrades are needed to unlock the third tier (RPG, Railgun, etc)?
2.) Can I split my points into say combat gear and nrg weapons and still unlock the third tier or does unlocking the third tier in a category require you to spend a certain amounts of points into that specific category?

Spoo

Alright, I think I have a game-killing bug here with the first boss
Atlas.

I shoot off all his armor, but then no new armor spawns and he just chases me around forever :\ What the fuck is going on. I've tried it 3 times and every match goes 20 minutes and I finally die.

EDIT: I did a ... ahem ... HARD RESET, and the glitch went away. Problem solved.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Anyone have the Exterimination achievement yet (20 kills in one shot) and knows of a good spot or method to get it? With the grenade launcher alt fire you can get a bunch of small enemies to pile up (super useful btw), but I haven't managed to get 20, seems like an awful lot.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Creamium said:
Anyone have the Exterimination achievement yet (20 kills in one shot) and knows of a good spot or method to get it? With the grenade launcher alt fire you can get a bunch of small enemies to pile up (super useful btw), but I haven't managed to get 20, seems like an awful lot.
I don't know of a sure fire way but I ended up getting it as a fluke on the last boss, if you try you might be able to get it there.

Spoo

Finished this today.

What I liked:
+ Tons of enemies with solid AI.
+ Incredible graphics
+ Great art style
+ Upgrade system is neat and easy
+ Environmental damage
+ SECRETS!

What I didn't:
- Bosses weren't very interesting
- Controls lag when switching weapon modes
- Story is told poorly
- Non-existent ending

Overall, a great 8/10 game for me. I need DLC, and I hope it's either some sort of coop mode/horde mode, or possibly a vs. multiplayer mode. I would, of course, be happy with just additional levels which add weapon modes (maybe a third weapon?) and a few new enemy types, and something that ends the story proper.

I'm surprised more people aren't talking about this game since it's pretty great at its price point. :\

msv

So, I'm at the part where you're located inside a big hangar type room, kind of U shaped layout it has, Level V anyways. But everytime I get to the part where you're in a small space with the two enemies that ram you, I get my ass kicked. The orange one with spikes is just unavoidable, he adjusts his course midway, so you're gonna get hit. And you're gonna get slammed against the wall till you can't move away, and then they do a ground stomp, then I'm dead. I'm trying to stop em from getting to me with the NRG's mortar 2nd fire, but I'm just not doing enough damage with either the railgun or mortars, or charged plasma balls. I only have the first upgrade on the other gun (more bullets per sec), and it doesn't do much to em either.

So what's the catch here? What's the trick behind avoiding the insanely annoying orange guy? Playing on hard btw.

Hawk269

Corky said:

I have boughth the game, but in the demo I am rock solid 60fps with every possible feature turned up to max. Using FXAAx2 as well.

Works great and no drops at all..well that I noticed.

msv

[rant]Ugh, again, the fucking rammers. Really starting to get annoyed here. Worked my way through the previous two rammers, now there's two new ones, this time with human type head thingies. I can pretty easily kill one but then the surrounding stuff is gone which kills them much faster. So I'm forced to evade (which only seems to work 50% of the time) or run away, which doesn't do anything anyway since I can only run forward (bullshit) and for like 2 seconds only. They're going with a good idea here, but they should let go more, stop with the fussy limitations, go back to the roots and deliver movement speed like doom or quake. Get rid of the useless 'sprint' thing (what is it useful for anyway?). And maybe let me store the health so I can use it when I need to. Would at least give some other reason to search around besides nano.

Then there's junk lying around so you can't move. Uffffff come the fuck on. Health lying around everywhere, hey except for the parts where you get hurt. Might as well remove health entirely and just replenish when you reach a checkpoint.

Ahhh leettt me moovee too left aaaand right wiiith sprriiiint dammmn youuu[/rant]

Top Bottom