• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HarmoKnight |OT| Hunt to your own beat!

Kouriozan

And, to get gold flower on boss level, you have to make 0 mistake.
40+ hours of Space Channel 5 Part 2 makes those too easy for me :p

aett

I'm downloading it now. Man, the demo was really addicting. I couldn't stop playing the Pokémon stage until I got the gold rank.

Anyone know roughly how long the game is?

Refugio

Avatars swiped from the official site and formatted for GAF, if anyone wants:

j3pJUoVB1sEaH.png

Gonna use this one. ty

Nintendo and Sale can not be combine together

Nintendo's actually had 2-3 sales on eshop already. Not only that they discounted popular eshop titles too, so it's certainly possible HarmoKnight will be discounted somewhere down the line. If I were to hazard a guess, it wouldn't happen till E3 at the earliest though. While Nintendo have learned flexable pricing is a must, they do tend to hold out as long as they reasonably can at full price

I really wish the game had more rankings than "good" and "great." When I do horribly and get a great, there is little incentive for me to go back.

Now, if there was "gold" "silver" "bronze" and "bad" (and you don't get the royal note on bad), then I'd be way more likely to go back and replay all the ones I did badly on.

Still, awesome game, though. I am at the 3rd stage of the 4th world. Lots of variety, as evident by the last stage I played.

Tom_Cody

Well expecting some form of originality in a rhythm game is hard to do. But consider it like this - it follows Bit.Trip's automatic moving forward with platforming, but has Rhythm Heaven's rhythm cues.
I don't know what I was supposed to expect but I'm still disappointed.

:/

Tuck

Tried the demo. Pretty fun! Couldn't beat the bee boss though. The d-pad moves kept messing me up.

eShop has a bunch of games I want, but I probably can't grab any till the summer.

EDIT: $15? No chance in hell Nintendo.

Haunted

Reading the Iwata Asks now, that initial design document is really cute.

Also, curse Iwata for praising Turner's Japanese, now I kinda want to listen to an interview with him or something. :lol

I beat the game. I still have a few stages to play, but oh MAN the final "bonus" stage.

At first I was disappointed that it was one of the bonus stages that was already revealed, but then I played it and it's the most fun stage yet.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Tried the demo. Pretty fun! Couldn't beat the bee boss though. The d-pad moves kept messing me up.

eShop has a bunch of games I want, but I probably can't grab any till the summer.

EDIT: $15? No chance in hell Nintendo.

Yeah, sadly this is the reason I decided not to hit the buy button. $15 for this just too much. I'll get Dillon's Rolling Western instead. :p

zroid

Banned
If the demo is any indication, I'm sure the 50 hours I spend with this game will justify the cost. ;)

Plus, it's so damn polished. I'm really a score chasing fiend however, especially for rhythm games. The likes of this and Rhythm Heaven are more up my alley than stuff like DDR and Rock Band, though, because I'm decent with timing but have not a goddamn iota of coordination. Give me more than a couple buttons to press and I'm a hopeless fool.

Roubjon

I'm confused as to why people think $15 is too much for this. It's a full game with depth to it, not some small iPhone game.

Wynnebeck

Banned
I'm confused as to why people think $15 is too much for this. It's a full game with depth to it, not some small iPhone game.

$15 for a rhythm based DD title is too much for some people. Nothing much more to say. With that being said, I just bought it because I love rhythm games and I couldn't hold out.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.

Some people just don't have that rhythm game craving like some of us do. I'm a rhythm game fanatic and I will admit I would have ponied up more than $15 for this game.

NEO0MJ

Just beat the second world. Don't know why I had so much trouble beating the Bee boss when I took care of him easily in the demo. Still, the last time I beat him perfect.

rjc571

Banned
I really wish the game had more rankings than "good" and "great." When I do horribly and get a great, there is little incentive for me to go back.

Now, if there was "gold" "silver" "bronze" and "bad" (and you don't get the royal note on bad), then I'd be way more likely to go back and replay all the ones I did badly on.

Still, awesome game, though. I am at the 3rd stage of the 4th world. Lots of variety, as evident by the last stage I played.

Yeah there should be a platinum ranking or something which requires you to hit a bunch of charged notes. Online leaderboards would be nice as well. Still, I'm having a blast replaying stages to improve my score.

I must add that the Final stage is plain crazy. It and the rest of the stages in the final world has been one big Trial.

I don't feel like typing spoiler tags on my phone so I won't give anything away, but... be prepared. :p

Yeah there should be a platinum ranking or something which requires you to hit a bunch of charged notes. Online leaderboards would be nice as well. Still, I'm having a blast replaying stages to improve my score.

What's kind of funny is that I just learned there's a "so-so" ranking. I only got greats and a few goods. But I guess for those who decide to do charge shots and hit the cymbals/drums, getting Greats is too easy.

Koroviev

While I'm normally a fan of charming little Nintendo games, this one comes off as almost a bit too childish. I feel like I stole it from a five-year-old or something.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
While I'm normally a fan of charming little Nintendo games, this one comes off as almost a bit too childish. I feel like I stole it from a five-year-old or something.

For real? I must be the only 30 year old that still watches cartoons.

There's so much stuff to unlock here.

Beat a stage: Get the stage's music in the Stage Select menu (by pressing Start).
Beat a stage with Gold: Get to play the stage a second time, but 2x speed.
Beat the 2x stage with Gold: Unlock
a picture

Needless to say, I'm going to unlock everything.

The time I will spend with this game will be about the same as the time I spent with New SMB on DS, AND I'm having much more fun. If this game were retail like it was originally going to be, I would have had zero regrets.

It did feel a bit like that at first, but once the game started getting difficult (fairly early on, actually), that all went out the window.

Neiteio

HarmoKnight is AMAZING. GOTY contender right here!

(Alongside Metal Gear Rising, Luigi's Mansion 2, and BioShock Infinite!)

YESSSSS <3

Thank you based Andrex

I'm not familiar with that game, but the closest analogue I can think of is Bit.Trip Runner. But HarmoKnight is much more of a rhythm game than BTR. Absolutely precise timing is always required. That's true for the regular platforming stages, at least, the boss stages are more simon says-esque like Space Channel 5 and some Rhythm Heaven games.

Go play the demo, guys, it's seriously great. Then check out the demo thread for an idea of what kinds of scores are possible! :)
It also feels like Parappa The Rapper.

DonMigs85

I might wait till it goes on sale. It just seems too frustratingly difficult at points and not all of the music is very catchy at all.

Wynnebeck

Banned
So after playing an hour here are my impressions:

- The artstyle is great. The colors pop, the character design is cute, and the 3D actually makes the game feel more immersive especially during the rhythm parts.

- The rhythm game aspect is....average at best. I was expecting more along the lines of Theatrhythm with different variations of beats. Combine that with musical cues that the game never fully explains to you (such as the musical plants like the cymbals and hi-hat that never were shown in the tutorials) and I was a bit confused but pushed on.

- The game is extremely easy. I have yet to get a Good rating and not having a rating below Good and Great (or a results screen for that matter) is disappointing.

I'm having fun for what it's worth but I'm getting buyer's remorse especially for $15. I was expecting more.

-... Combine that with musical cues that the game never fully explains to you (such as the musical plants like the cymbals and hi-hat that never were shown in the tutorials) and I was a bit confused but pushed on.

- The game is extremely easy. I have yet to get a Good rating and not having a rating below Good and Great (or a results screen for that matter) is disappointing.

The game was really easy for me, too (I only recently learned there was a rating below "good" lol), but wait until later. You will experience some truly hard levels and moments, and it only gets harder.

Also, the game was supposedly made so that you could get Great without hitting the drums or performing charges, as they're supposedly extras for experienced players. That said, it does feel like there's no reward for hitting those extras, and later I stopped charging my shots because it became too difficult for me.

zroid

Banned
It would've been nice if there were unlockables or leaderboards to push you to get ultra high scores, but oh well -- that's what GAF is for.

Nice OT! Just picked it up and will have it downloading overnight. Probably won't be able to play until after work tomorrow, but can't wait!

Top Bottom