• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HarmoKnight |OT| Hunt to your own beat!

Teknoman

I really like main bad guy design. I forget what his name is, but i'm a sucker for any bad guy design with those razor teeth. Reminds me of stuff from Gitaroo Man.

This is probably the best game on the eShop right now. Yes, better than Pushmo. I mean, i cannot remember the last time I was so charmed by a game. And it's SO ADDICTIVE.

Game Freak, :bow.
They really should do non Pokemon stuff more often.

zroid

Banned
This is probably the best game on the eShop right now. Yes, better than Pushmo. I mean, i cannot remember the last time I was so charmed by a game. And it's SO ADDICTIVE.

Game Freak, :bow.
They really should do non Pokemon stuff more often.

I'm one of the biggest Pushmo/Crashmo fans around, and I could see myself agreeing with this. It's just rad. I'm not playing it yet 'cause I'm a little busy at the moment and I know if I start, I'll be instantly addicted. :(

Yes but charged attacks just don't seem worth the effort on the off chance you miss the charge during a pattern and boom less notes you earn.

Well... the point is to challenge yourself. I mean, if all you're interested in is going through the stages , then no, it's not really necessary at all.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
While I'm normally a fan of charming little Nintendo games, this one comes off as almost a bit too childish. I feel like I stole it from a five-year-old or something.

I thought the artstyle is charming.

Yes but charged attacks just don't seem worth the effort on the off chance you miss the charge during a pattern and boom less notes you earn.

That's what high points are for. It's just about clearing the game. It's about getting high scores.

I'm one of the biggest Pushmo/Crashmo fans around, and I could see myself agreeing with this. It's just rad. I'm not playing it yet 'cause I'm a little busy at the moment and I know if I start, I'll be instantly addicted. :(

When I bought this, I intended to clear a couple of stages and be done with it. An hour and a half later and I cannot stop! And I keep going back and replaying stages, because I want to get Gold on everything.
This is brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

Kazerei

Banned
This game is actually the right level of challenge for me. The boss levels took me a few tries to get a Great score; and a few other levels gave me trouble too, namely the ones with the drums you bounce on. I'm sure I'll be able to get Great on all the levels, but I'll need some practice.

Wait, so there's no rank higher than "Great?" If so, that's hugely disappointing--I've done relatively poorly on some levels and I still received that rating.

VanWinkle

Game is good. I'm not as big on it as I was around the time of the demo. I feel it's not nearly as replayable as Runner 2 is which is unfortunate.

KevinCow

Banned
Does Taiko mean drum or something in Japanese? Or is Tyko's name a reference to those games?

Either was, I read all his lines in the voice of Zapp Brannigan.

A taiko is a kind of Japanese drum.

Also, I like how all of the enemies are named and shaped after something musical. Like the ghosts in the clock levels which are actually ocarinas. I think they called them ghocarinas or something strange.

ryushe

Game's really fun, but Jezzus is it wordy.

Like, I don't need any exposition in my rhythm games. Let me just play. At least when Gitaroo-Man did it, its story was quirky, stupid and totally insane.

zoukka

Game's really fun, but Jezzus is it wordy.

Like, I don't need any exposition in my rhythm games. Let me just play. At least when Gitaroo-Man did it, it story was quirky, stupid and totally insane.

Kinda agree. But luckily the art is good. And actually the game itself looks wonderful in 3D. The second game on my 3DS that I like to use it lol. Seems to hit 60fps often too.

Kouriozan

Got all the birds and it unlock
a secret world! I was pleased since you need to finish the game to get the last bird.
And yeah, the game looks really good. Loving the art style.

linko9

Played though the first two worlds. The game is good... but I'm pretty disappointed overall. I was honestly shocked that there's essentially one song per world, and I don't much like the few songs that are there. I don't even think the remixes of the pokemon songs are especially well-done. The core gameplay is good, though I honestly don't much like the charging-up mechanic; I often feel like I have to rush myself in a way that isn't in line with the music to get in as many charged swings as possible. I just don't like that mechanic. I'm just not digging this game in the same way I have pretty much every other rhythm game. Who knows, maybe it will grow on me, and I certainly think it's enjoyable overall, but I expected to like it a lot more.

Edit: also, my main beef: Why doesn't the game tell me how well I'm doing? As long as you're not brain-dead it will say "great", but that's not really helpful. Tell me what the highest possible score is for each level! Or at least reward me in some way for achieving high scores on levels!

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
I am realllllly struggling with this one. I do pretty well at rhythm games, but I can't seem to get my timing down on this, especially on the boss fights with the camera moving around.

I think I'll get used to it, but it makes me feel dumb.

OwlyKnees

Played though the first two worlds. The game is good... but I'm pretty disappointed overall. I was honestly shocked that there's essentially one song per world, and I don't much like the few songs that are there. I don't even think the remixes of the pokemon songs are especially well-done. The core gameplay is good, though I honestly don't much like the charging-up mechanic; I often feel like I have to rush myself in a way that isn't in line with the music to get in as many charged swings as possible. I just don't like that mechanic. I'm just not digging this game in the same way I have pretty much every other rhythm game. Who knows, maybe it will grow on me, and I certainly think it's enjoyable overall, but I expected to like it a lot more.

Edit: also, my main beef: Why doesn't the game tell me how well I'm doing? As long as you're not brain-dead it will say "great", but that's not really helpful. Tell me what the highest possible score is for each level! Or at least reward me in some way for achieving high scores on levels!

Agreed.

Which makes me sad, as initially I really enjoyed the demo. I thought the taster from the first level was a good indication that the music would be fantastic. I didn't expect them to keep remixing it over the next few levels, though.

ryushe

I didn't really notice the same world music thing until late last night, but even then I thought it was just because it was the first world. That's a real bummer now that I know that.

addyb

Mmmm if it had been around £7.99 I would of bitten as an impulse buy but Im picking up Luigi's mansion tomorrow so I guess I will save this for a later date.

NEO0MJ

Just beat the game. Was pretty fun, but it had a few flaws. My main gripe with the gameplay was the the music sometimes drowned enemy sounds and so I messed up sometimes.

Roubjon

Rhythm games are probably my favorite genre out there, but something about this game turns me off. I really enjoyed the demo, but after playing it a few times it got really boring. Figuring out when to charge your attacks in order to get the maximum note score seems more frustrating than fun, and the base levels themselves seem pretty easy. I'm also not really a fan of the art at all and the music itself just doesn't seem very good.

Regrettably I'm going to pass on this. I'm looking forward to when Runner 2 is released on Vita though.

Keyouta

I don't like how the music stops when you're switching characters, the game is very wordy, and lots of the music in the game are just remixes of the same theme.

I do like it though, Gamefreak should make more original IPs.

I'm also in the "£12? Get outa here" camp. I almost wonder if eShop prices are going to end like some Indie games on steam. Some I feel are priced a bit high so an eventual sale happens and its the price the developers would prefer to set it at (but sales are so powerful psychologically/give a spotlight etc that it works out better to do what seems odd).

Anyhow, my impressions from the demo (yeah yeah I'm 1-2 weeks late), the timing on the boss stages is either that they've set the windows too small (which is consistent with how it feels in the rest of the levels) or the music doesn't have loud or obvious enough beats to get your cue (I'm saying this as someone who beat it first try and was able to play the rhythm thief demo without the on screen prompts).

Other general comment: why when I pause and hit restart stage (which I did a few times on the Your Bicycle stage) does it seem to re-load the level form scratch (like if I was on the world map). It takes longer than say Theatrhythm (though the songs in that game tend to be no action for the first few seconds so time wise its about the same).

Played though the first two worlds. The game is good... but I'm pretty disappointed overall. I was honestly shocked that there's essentially one song per world, and I don't much like the few songs that are there.
Thanks for this, it didn't seem many reviews picked up on it. Personally it irks me when there are facts about song count presented misleadingly (what is it with rhythm games inflating their song counts...no Theatrhythm I don't count the op/ed songs are actual gameplay). Say over 70 stages, fine. Over 70 songs but they're really 15 but remixed...

As for rhythm games. I find scoring systems in these are always pretty bad. In some you can do perfect at a song but mess up the last few notes to wind up with a D rank which you would also get if you were consistently so-so. Then you have some where the grades are too close. I swear in Rhythm Heaven at times it feels like fail <=35/40...thats worse than Game scores...

Gartooth

I'm having a ton of fun with the game right now, but this game seriously is hurting my pride! I've never felt this bad at a rhythm game before, I can't for the life of me beat the world 2 boss.

rjc571

Banned
I find it odd that people are having so much trouble with the bosses. The bosses seem really easy to me. The timing seems to be a lot more forgiving on boss levels than it is on the regular levels. I've never missed more than two beats on any boss fight but I'm constantly missing stuff during the levels.

I find it extremely odd that I am scoring consistently higher on the fast versions of the stages compared to their regular counterparts. I just find it easier to follow a snappier rhythm I guess!

I won't go as far to say that it's one song per world, but I will say they do reuse melodies a lot. I can't describe it, but I think it's a little like Super Mario World. Or if you're playing some video game and you hear the boss's music, then the boss's health gets low and the music changes to something a little different.

Look at the playthrough of a world and you'll see what I mean. If you want to divide it into songs, I'd say there are 3-4 per world, including the two minibosses.

I find it odd that people are having so much trouble with the bosses. The bosses seem really easy to me. The timing seems to be a lot more forgiving on boss levels than it is on the regular levels. I've never missed more than two beats on any boss fight but I'm constantly missing stuff during the levels.

The timing is less strict, but one hit, and no Great for you.

bon

It's too bad a lot of people seem to be skipping this because of the price. It deserves to be a full cartridge release imo.

Avatars swiped from the official site and formatted for GAF, if anyone wants:
jbnX35EbTpp58v.png

I'll take this, thanks.

I'm also in the "£12? Get outa here" camp.

Co-signed. I just bought Luigi's Mansion 2, I don't need to get price-gouged on another game quite as quickly. And with Fire Emblem and Bioshock also on my "to-get" list, it's unlikely I'll pick this up until there's a sale.

...But man, that demo was excellent.

KevinCow

Banned
This game seems like it's far more forgiving ig you're slightly late than if you're slightly early. So many time's, I've felt like I hit it on time, but got that horrible boink sound instead, where you hit the enemy but it doesn't count. Then so many other times, I've felt like I was clearly late, but the game still accepted it as a hit.

Like the drums you bounce on. I've stopped even trying to hit those on time. It seems like I can hit them up to an eighth note late and it still accepts it. But a fraction of a note early, and nope.

So I have Gold on every 2x stage except the very last one. That very last stage is just bananas. I keep telling myself to calm down after playing it. lol

Edit: Yay, finally did it! I now have gold on every single stage!

I haven't been this enthralled in a game in a long time, so yeah, this is definitely up there in my list of favorite games ever. It does have its flaws, but when you play the 2x stages, it's really easy to forget them.

This game seems like it's far more forgiving ig you're slightly late than if you're slightly early. So many time's, I've felt like I hit it on time, but got that horrible boink sound instead, where you hit the enemy but it doesn't count. Then so many other times, I've felt like I was clearly late, but the game still accepted it as a hit.

Like the drums you bounce on. I've stopped even trying to hit those on time. It seems like I can hit them up to an eighth note late and it still accepts it. But a fraction of a note early, and nope.

Especially in 2x yeah the drums are definitely better to hit a little late. In fact, the only way I can hit the drums in the snowy Pokémon stage is to do it a very tiny bit late.

Game is great. First two worlds are fun but a little boring. But once the challenge ramps up watch out!

I love it when music games get difficult. Hitting more notes in them is a lot more fun than just a few. See Heavy/Challenge mode in DDR, the highest difficulties in Thearhythm, IIDX, etc

KevinCow

Banned
So I have Gold on every 2x stage except the very last one. That very last stage is just bananas. I keep telling myself to calm down after playing it. lol

Edit: Yay, finally did it! I now have gold on every single stage!

Good god. Even the fifth Pokemon stage? I tried it once on fast and promptly died. I could barely hit the buttons fast enough on normal. Hell if I could hit those eighth notes on fast. I was just coming into this thread to declare it impossible.

And that last level, man. I just barely finished it on normal with a silver. That last part, where the camera turns around? I must have died there like a dozen times, and plenty more times before. I'm so glad I had two hits left at the end, because if that last little screw you flame after I thought the level was done had killed me, I might have hulked out and crushed my 3DS.

Kazerei

Banned
Regarding the price point, I agree there's not quite enough content for $15, but oh my god there is so much replay value.

If you're just going to play each level once, you should just wait for a sale. But rhythm game enthusiasts should buy this ASAP!

Good god. Even the fifth Pokemon stage? I tried it once on fast and promptly died. I could barely hit the buttons fast enough on normal. Hell if I could hit those eighth notes on fast. I was just coming into this thread to declare it impossible.

And that last level, man. I just barely finished it on normal with a silver. That last part, where the camera turns around? I must have died there like a dozen times, and plenty more times before. I'm so glad I had two hits left at the end, because if that last little screw you flame after I thought the level was done had killed me, I might have hulked out and crushed my 3DS.

Yeah, those two stages are crazy (and ditto on the "screw you" flame), but the Pokémon stage has nothing on the last Clock Tower stage. It was already way too fast in Normal mode...

Let's just say that after getting all Golds, I'm a little disappointed that the rest of the game became so easy. lol

KevinCow

Banned
That last clock tower was infuriating.

"Hey I'm gonna go ahead and slow down right before this jump with no warning so you screw up your timing and fall and die."

rjc571

Banned
Got all the birds and it unlock
a secret world! I was pleased since you need to finish the game to get the last bird.
And yeah, the game looks really good. Loving the art style.

So glad I didn't highlight this before finding out what the reward was for myself! I love when you unlock stuff like that completely unexpectedly.

Just played the demo for like 10 minutes... And just bought the game right afterwards. I really enjoyed the demo but can't wait to play the full game.

Huh, I just noticed when finding my fourth bird that you can see what stage they're in by
a feather by the stage on the world map
A little late for Lenny, but a cute touch nonetheless.

Top Bottom