• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has a video game ever inspired you to do or change something in your life?

Got into a new hobby, changed the way you saw things, so on, any kind of positive change or influence.

This thread was mostly inspired by me reading about people that got into Law School because of Ace Attorney.
And the fact that I need some positivity at the moment...

Final Fantasy 7 (Original) inspired me to embark on a Seamster course, because of the guy that made Cloud's dress, and that whole plot moment. Gameplay and dialogue wise, was so funny and endearing.

Currently searching for one (course) in my city.

I was always interested in clothes and fashion since I was a kid, so it's not like it came from nowhere, but I never considered getting into that area.

(Edit: Also, I wouldn't be alive right now, if it wasn't for this game:

images

Huge influence on my life, and my principles)

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
In Valkyrie profile I really liked Lenneth's strong personality, and how you should never give up.

Well, that attitude is always present in me, being persistent and never giving up.

MujkicHaris

Dragon Quest VIII

Not only did it introduce me to JRPG genre but after I experienced all the game had to offer I realized I want to be a game developer. It wasn't the characters or the story nor the gameplay systems.
It was the environments. The game's environments and the impression of how open and big the world was blew my mind.

poodaddy

Gold Member
Never would have gotten into weight lifting and boxing without Street Fighter. I don't box anymore, haven't in nearly two decades, but I still lift and it's been an incredibly positive constant in my life. I wanted to look like Guile as a kid lol, so I asked my father how does one get to looking like that, and he got me started. Doesn't hurt that I kind of saw my dad as my own personal Guile, as he was high ranking Air Force too, so I took his word as gospel. He got me two light dumbbells at 11, then a rack and bench press at 14, I was off to the races.

My reverence for the character and my love for my father is probably also part of why I joined the Army later....that was not such a positive experience, but I'm still proud I served.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Changed my life for gaming play style forever.

Since I played tons of COD in the early 360 days, I always stick to assault rifles in shooters! M16, AK47, ACR, etc... With occasional use of LMGs like RPD kind of machine guns.

Eimran

Dragon Quest VIII

Not only did it introduce me to JRPG genre but after I experienced all the game had to offer I realized I want to be a game developer. It wasn't the characters or the story nor the gameplay systems.
It was the environments. The game's environments and the impression of how open and big the world was blew my mind.
That game inspired me to appreciate orchestral music

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
41fKBYW6uTL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

My parents had absolutely 0 interest in computers and we didn’t have a PC in our house til 1993. I have ADHD and didn’t really have the patience and discipline to sit down and learn nerdy shit like BASIC

Carnage Heart was my first real introduction to programming and I loved it. There was a C++ course at my high school which I enrolled in (first year they offered it) and I loved that too, and decided to study computer science. Long story short, I now have a fulfilling and successful career as a software engineer.

For those who haven’t played Carnage Heart, it was a strategy game where you build robots and program them to fight using a surprisingly sophisticated tile-based programming scheme.

Never would have gotten into weight lifting and boxing without Street Fighter. I don't box anymore, haven't in nearly two decades, but I still lift and it's been an incredibly positive constant in my life. I wanted to look like Guile as a kid lol, so I asked my father how does one get to looking like that, and he got me started. Doesn't hurt that I kind of saw my dad as my own personal Guile, as he was high ranking Air Force too, so I took his word as gospel. He got me two light dumbbells at 11, then a rack and bench press at 14, I was off to the races.

My reverence for the character and my love for my father is probably also part of why I joined the Army later....that was not such a positive experience, but I'm still proud I served.
Your father is Charlie and you are Guile, basically 💪

Puscifer

Death Stranding turned me into a cyclist

COD inspired me to join the military. Now I have a bad back. Thanks for nothing.
My best friend growing up key SOCOM turn him into a marine. Tldr he's smoking meth and fucking old dudes in abandoned houses now.

Could be worse is what I guess I'm trying to say

Or something

Last edited:

BlackTron

It didn't really directly motivate me to do anything specific but I think playing OOT and then watching Mononoke around the same time impacted my personality and outlook profoundly at the age I was. I began to appreciate art, nature and different perspectives drastically differently.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I literally went into computing because I found out videogames are made on computers.

I ended up getting the degree and hating working in corporate IT so i started learning how to model and render stuff to remake Skies of Arcadia(In CryEngine 3). I read a random comment on a gaming forum about different ways to fake global illumination/bounce lighting, so I paid for an engine that could give me ground truth results.

No I work as a nomad in rendering and made the mistake of telling people at work about how fast Unreal Engine 5 could be to produce renders.
Now im the Unreal Engine guy....again because of gaming.

Yes TLOU2 inspired me to change the way a bought ND videogames. Inspired me to stop. :messenger_grinning_squinting:
Just so we're clear here... Last of Us Part II came out in 2020. Since then, Naughty Dog has released the following:
  • Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection (2022) - This is a Port Collection of old titles.
  • The Last of Us Part I (2022) - This is a remake/remaster of an old title.
  • The Last of Us Part II: Remastered (2022) - This is a port of an old title.
Which is to say that they have released no new titles since Last of Us Part II.

So.... ummmm.... not really the boldest of claims?

I'm curious what you parried to save your life 🤔
Parental physical and psychological abuse
twelve-parry.gif

Physical and verbal bullying and isolation
sean-parry.gif

Mental illnesses, consequences of the aforementioned
dudley-parry.gif

And results of my own mistakes and choices (Or lack there of)
ibuki-lowparry.gif

Third Strike is one of the few games that makes me cry like a baby.
And not in a sad way. It taught me a lot about strength, integrity, merit, and pushing through the bullshit...

IAmRei

Rockman 4, and at the time i want to create something like that, and now i am working as one...

I once, playing bucky o hare on nes, and want to be musician, then 11 years later i was vovalist on small rock band \m/

Must be something else, but well, kind of sleepy now : ))

anthony2690

Parental physical and psychological abuse
twelve-parry.gif

Physical and verbal bullying and isolation
sean-parry.gif

Mental illnesses, consequences of the aforementioned
dudley-parry.gif

And results of my own mistakes and choices (Or lack there of)
ibuki-lowparry.gif

Third Strike is one of the few games that makes me cry like a baby.
And not in a sad way. It taught me a lot about strength, integrity, merit, and pushing through the bullshit...
If only you parried the cancellation off scalebound though!

Third strike is a special game though, I'm glad it's help you parry away the daily struggles of life & more! ❤️

TheShocker

Death Stranding turned me into a cyclist

My best friend growing up key SOCOM turn him into a marine. Tldr he's smoking meth and fucking old dudes in abandoned houses now.

Could be worse is what I guess I'm trying to say

Or something
I knew those SOCOM games were trash.

Top Bottom