• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has a video game ever inspired you to do or change something in your life?

UFC game on Dreamcast inspired me to train mma.

Riding and owning motorcycles in GTA V got me to buy one IRL. Motorcycles are much cheaper than cars and don’t seem to be affected much by inflation. Plus its nice to have a backup vehicle that’s fuel efficient.

Edellus

I used to not care much for leaving my comfort zone at all. Not persuing wonder. A stable life of routine. Not great, not terrible; just fine.

But playing FF14 convinced me of the appeal of traveling, seeing new sights, meeting new people, different people (and put effort in understanding them), wandering, roaming, experiencing life as much as possible, be curious, and take risks. Meaning is everywhere, just gotta reach out for it.

So I started traveling (I have visited 2 cross continental countries so far. Just starting. Planning more). I've reached out more often to the people I love and those I want to have a friendship with. I'm financially comfortable, but I'm taking steps to be even more so. I started to properly taking care of my body. It's amazing what just having a meaningful goal can do to your way of thinking and your life in general.

I can't seriously call myself an "adventurer". But "traveler" and "wanderer" sound true enough for me.
At the very least it's what I'm trying to be.

"Thy Life is a riddle, to bear rapture and sorrow
To listen, to suffer, to entrust unto tomorrow
In one fleeting moment, from the Land doth life flow
Yet in one fleeting moment, for anew it doth grow
In the same fleeting moment

Thou must live
Die

And know"

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I love gaming but to me gaming is nothing more than hobby I enjoy nothing more and nothing less, it’s not something I would change my life over it.

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
it inspired me to do something with my life after checking the amount of hours spent on them
Red Wine Ugh GIF by Married At First Sight

bender

What time is it?
I skateboarded in my late pre-teens/early teens but gave up the hobby once I moved overseas. In my 20s, I got addicted to THPS1-2 on Dreamcast and decided to pickup the hobby again which didn't go so well as somewhere along the way, I developed fear. lol

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
Changed my life for gaming play style forever.

Since I played tons of COD in the early 360 days, I always stick to assault rifles in shooters! M16, AK47, ACR, etc... With occasional use of LMGs like RPD kind of machine guns.
Just think of how many COD kids today weren't even born back when we were one-bursting scrubs w/ M16 + Stopping Power
COD inspired me to join the military. Now I have a bad back. Thanks for nothing.
oLnAxEE.jpeg

I played a lot of World of Warcraft when in university when it just came out. Let’s say I learned why professional sports players are depressed about their own performance although getting so much money. I really wanted to be a great tank, trained every day and was in one of the most famous groups at that time.

But it began quickly to become an weekly obligation rather than fun. I hated the days when you needed to go on a raid in the evening. The best decision was to quit the game completely and I felt finally free.

Because of that I only play games to have fun and don’t care if I am good or not and don’t touch many multiplayer games anymore and just prefer story driven single player games.

Unrelated, but I haven't played either.

And I'm curious to figure out where all the "FF X sexual awakening" stuff comes from (Is there fucking in the game or something?...), and why X-2 is considered to have the best gameplay of the whole series. Totally excited to play the latter.
Maybe its because previous FF games before x were on ps1 and the girls weren't attractive due to graphical limitations.

idk.

panda-zebra

I thought I was fit and strong when I bought The Fight on ps3; found out that only went so far having the cardio resilience of an asthmatic child. So it inspired me to get properly fit. Great game, too - physical RPG where you in-game progress ranks up with real-life fitness boosts way before doing squats with a Nintendo was fashionable.

Fighting games in the arcades inspired me to get into martial arts back in the day. Probably also the flicks we grew up with. Karate Kid and all that shit. But really I'd credit my Final Fight and SF obsession for getting seriously interested. I have 12 years of Muay Thai and 10 years of boxing under my belt as of now, still going.

wvnative

Unrelated, but I haven't played either.

And I'm curious to figure out where all the "FF X sexual awakening" stuff comes from (Is there fucking in the game or something?...), and why X-2 is considered to have the best gameplay of the whole series. Totally excited to play the latter.

The sexual awakening stuff is from people who saw LuLu for the first time and they realized they were into goth chicks. There's no fucking, although it does contain one of the most intimate cutscenes between two people that had ever been seen in a mainstream game at the time, but I wouldn't personally consider the scene in question erotic or anything.

X-2 is...uhh... well as far as gameplay goes, it's due to the fact it's an evolution of FF5's job system, combined with the fastest ATB combat in the series.

Last edited:
Top Bottom