• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hate Plus |OT| A Digital Love Story

Avallon

Trailer: http://youtu.be/KAgT6lGwTiY
Release: August 19, 2013 on Steam
Official site: http://hateplus.com/

About the Game
Let's spend the next three real-time days together uncovering the mystery of what went horribly wrong on a derelict generation ship, with the help of a spunky/more-than-slightly-traumatized AI sidekick!

A sequel to Analogue: A Hate Story that tells a whole new hate story of its own. Analogue players can pick up where their finished save files left off, and new players can start fresh in Hate Plus.

A dark visual novel about transhumanism, cosplay, cake-baking, and the slow patriarchal erosion of freedoms taken for granted.
The story so far...
I can't believe it! My mission was supposed to be routine data recovery on an old derelict generation ship, but instead, I ended up rescuing an adorable AI girl who grew up in a tremendously patriarchal Neo-Confucian society? And now she's discovered a bunch of messages left by the mysterious Old *Mute... and wants me to uncover with her the slow enactment of a regressive political program that caused her society to regress to Joseon Dynasty social mores?!

I wasn't expecting this at all! I thought the three day trip back to Earth would be peaceful and lonely and not at all filled with reading about tragedy!

And so began my hateful days...

ss_43b20bf6e070537b541a37575cbfcd78dab49746.1920x1080.jpg

ss_01fdf840081260365e33f3d5d9ae9839f70cb1fb.1920x1080.jpg

ss_c1edbb6506f78c48b30aae1df40ae098bc031428.1920x1080.jpg

ss_2ad2af0a31dccbd917b8b520eac576ea7f2a519e.1920x1080.jpg

ss_9a5fe671d9921fa43c285c737d270035273a3141.1920x1080.jpg

ss_8c906275386700066a2b1b7b515571acd4968901.1920x1080.jpg

yami4ct

According to Steam, it's releasing in 6 hours -- get to it.

You could 100% Analogue many times over in that time. Haha

Really looking forward to this. Analogue was one of my biggest surprises last year. Love what Christine does with the visual novel style. Really interested to see how far this one goes, given how messed up the last one got.

Avallon

You could 100% Analogue many times over in that time. Haha

Really looking forward to this. Analogue was one of my biggest surprises last year. Love what Christine does with the visual novel style. Really interested to see how far this one goes, given how messed up the last one got.
Agreed. It's a very good visual novel, and I hope people look into it when the sequel gets (hopefully) featured on Steam's front page later today.

Why would I buy this when I could just subscribe to Christine Love's twitter feed for free and have a much similar (and probably more enjoyable) experience?

just kidding of course. I own the first one on steam but never played it. About time to fix that I suppose

Cirruss

I can't wait for this- looking at the steam page i can seem to see a price listed for some reason?

First one was awesome although I'm a little surprised that both characters are still around I guess this follows on from one of the other endings in the game.

Avallon

I finished it regretfully. Only to see how it would end. I just hated the writing in general.
I'm glad you gave it a fair shot. It's not for everyone. I enjoyed it, though.
I can't wait for this- looking at the steam page i can seem to see a price listed for some reason?

First one was awesome although I'm a little surprised that both characters are still around I guess this follows on from one of the other endings in the game.
Your save actually transfers over, believe it or not.

yami4ct

Christine doesn't believe in pre-orders, so that's why there's no sale price listed. When it launches today, it'll be $10 as listed on the Hate Plus website.

I've never played any of the games and don't intend to play this one any time soon, but damn the theme song is so damn catchy.

I've been looking forward to this for quite a while, Analogue took me by surprise after just picking it up in a sale on a whim. Quite interested to see how the day mechanic is going to work, especially since I'll be trying to get the achievement for clearing the game over the course of 9 days (as it is meant to be played).

redlemon

Finally got round to playing Analogue last night and while I had a few issues I was pleasantly surprised at how enjoyable it was. I'll probably wait a bit to get this though since I want to try and 100% the first one.

webrunner

Is there a name for the type of interface this game has- where the game interface represents a computer interface in-universe that you never actually leave? Her other games, and stuff like Uplink use the trope too.

Analogue may have had Steam Cloud support, although it doesn't mention it on the store page. Your save may be safe.

Analogue doesn't have steam cloud. Unless you reformatted you might be in luck, the save file is located under Username>AppData>Roaming>RenPy

If you haven't still got the save you can see all 3 endings in Hate Plus anyway.

Avallon

Analogue doesn't have steam cloud. Unless you reformatted you might be in luck, the save file is located under Username>AppData>Roaming>RenPy

If you haven't still got the save you can see all 3 endings in Hate Plus anyway.
I had a 100% achievement save from when I beat it. If I just download a 100% achievement save from the internet, will anything be different. No, right?

I had a 100% achievement save from when I beat it. If I just download a 100% achievement save from the internet, will anything be different. No, right?

From what Christine said, it'll just be reading your main save to see which endings you finished rather than all the small individual ones. So if you download a 100% save you'll probably be fine as well.

vall03

Analogue may have had Steam Cloud support, although it doesn't mention it on the store page. Your save may be safe.

Well, looks like I'm out of luck since I reformatted my PC earlier this year. Oh well, its not that big of a deal is it?

Avallon

Well, looks like I'm out of luck since I reformatted my PC earlier this year. Oh well, its not that big of a deal is it?
I just looked at your achievements. You're in the same boat as me: 100% finished the first game, but no longer have your save. Do what I'm going to do and download a 100% save file and you'll be able to pick up exactly where you left off.

Avallon

Finding a 100% save is proving more difficult than I thought. Can someone please upload one to mediafire? Thank you!

JC Lately

Sadly I'll be at work when this unlocks on Steam, so I'll be 5-6 hours behind everyone else as we all work through the 3-day schedule.

Still looking forward to it though. I've enjoyed Christine Love's past VN's... though that said each one I've played usually has one stumbling block in the narrative that bumps me out of the story for a moment or two.

For example, In Digital:

Why couldn't the player just make a copy of *Emilia, and only sacrifice one of them to save her AI family? It was already established that AI's in this setting have ludicrously low data footprints, and that organizing said data takes literately seconds. Far less time, in fact, than the tearful goodbye conversation the player wound up having with her instead.

Then in dont take it personal, babe, it just aint your story:

The fake suicide reveal was clumsy as all get out. I never believed for a second that girl actually killed herself. No grief counseling offered by the school? Nor formal announcement to the faculty? Exactly one conversation about it on the social networks the students were using? Nope, sorry, not buying it. I think I read somewhere that it was made for the VN equivalent of NaNoWriMo though, so I'm willing to give that part a pass.

Then finally in Analogue:

*Hyun-ae... just...*Hyun-ae. The woman deserved her revenge, I'm not gonna argue that... but did everyone on the ship have to die? And her reasoning that as a woman in this setting, she was never allowed outside her family's, or later her husband's house, and therefore didn't know she was killing a ship full of people who did nothing to her would make sense...except she already knew how big the ship is, and how many people must be on it from before she was stuck in cryo-sleep. Obviously at that point she wasn't thinking straight, and I cant honestly say that in her position with her level of access that I wouldn't do the exact same thing (if anything, she stayed her hand a lot longer than I would have). But dont dress it up with faux ignorance. Own that shit. MOTHERFUCKERS CUT OUT MY TONGUE WITH A BURNING, RED HOT KNIFE BECAUSE I DARED TO HAVE A SAY IN HOW MY LIFE SHOULD BE LIVED, SO I KILLED EVERY LAST FUCKING ONE OF THEM.

So I'm kinda worried what the One Thing will be in Hate Plus.

EDIT: Also, how is the title for this OT not "Haters Gonna Hate"?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Even having played Analogue, Hate Plus seems super disorienting and obtuse right from the outset.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
So, anyone here playing the game without transferring a Hate Story save file?
I transferred a save for Hyun-ae and made a new file for Mute. It seems like they pretty much just let you choose which outcome you had.

tokkun

I am confused about what these games are.

-Typical VN with weird name?
-Emo VN?
-Parody?
-Attempt at genre deconstruction?

dot

No trading cards for Analogue on Steam doesn't mean I couldn't make my own.

lol Hyun-aeto

It's too bad. I really wanted some emoticons/backgrounds..

Will buy the game eventually. The first game got me into visual novels so i gotta support this.

Suairyu

Banned
Though Analogue was a disappointment compared to Love's first two titles, I'm still anticipating this and will look into getting it soon.

Just finished my first day. It feels so good to be back in this depressing little universe. The new UI is still elegant, but provides a distinctly different feel nonetheless. There's a lot of great touches that make following the story easier, most notably the evolving bios your AI companion keeps for you. Additionally, having almost total control over which logs to read is an interesting move. I've just been going in chronological order thus far. I also appreciate the meatier logs, and like how the AI will automatically comment on specific sections as you scroll through.

Good stuff!

Just finished my first day. It feels so good to be back in this depressing little universe. The new UI is still elegant, but provides a distinctly different feel nonetheless. There's a lot of great touches that make following the story easier, most notably the evolving bios your AI companion keeps for you. Additionally, having almost total control over which logs to read is an interesting move. I've just been going in chronological order thus far. I also appreciate the meatier logs, and like how the AI will automatically comment on specific sections as you scroll through.

Good stuff!

Exactly my thoughts as well. I've just finished up day 1 with *Hyun-ae and I really appreciate all the little touches that are making the story so much easier to follow.

My one gripe with Analogue was that I had a real hard time trying to follow who was who once loads of characters had been introduced, but being able to just click on them and get a quick summary has made it really simple to keep track of everyone and I feel like I can enjoy the story more. Having your AI follow along with the conversation is a great little touch as well, it feels like they are actually commenting on things rather than you just constantly clicking the "Hey, you can speak now" button.

I suppose being able to read the logs in order is particularly useful if you want to follow a specific character, but I prefer grabbing them in date order so that I can read about the decline as it happened.

Top Bottom