• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hate Plus |OT| A Digital Love Story

Oh, and a warning to anyone who wants to get the achievement. I would suggest that you not send the photo to her unless you are pretty certain that you'll have semi-easy access to your email and the game over the next day or two.

I finished it regretfully. Only to see how it would end. I just hated the writing in general. I disliked the fact that my character talked and I couldn't even read what I said. Was very confusing.

Uh, what?

Your "character" can't talk in Analogue. There's something wrong with the interface in game and the AI can't get typed words, so you can only communicate by selecting options the AI gives you and choosing what logs to show her.

Uh, what?

Your "character" can't talk in Analogue. There's something wrong with the interface in game and the AI can't get typed words, so you can only communicate by selecting options the AI gives you and choosing what logs to show her.

I wonder if they're referring to Digital, rather than Analogue, since in Digital you replied to BBS posts but never saw what you said. Wouldn't be the first time I've heard people take issue with that.

Slaylock

I thought for sure this was a thread for people to complain that EU PS+ subscribers get better content than NA PS+.

Why is that?

The achievement is not triggered server-side. It is triggered by the player taking certain steps that are outlined in a response email from Christine and those steps are time sensitive. Failure to act in the designated time frame will prevent you from unlocking the achievement and you'll then need to hope Christine will let you try again.

Mzo

Is everyone cool with the forced 12 irl hour wait after the first day and (I assume) after the second?
That seems really, really unnecessary and dumb to me. I kind of absolutely hate it. Kills any interest I have in playing multiple routes. The most efficient way is to have three games running concurrently, one from each Analogue ending. Kind of sucks!

Also I find the interface in this game to be a step back from Analogue in general. Having to scroll through long documents when I can't grab and drag the scroll bar is annoying. On top of that, every 4th or 5th click as I scroll my mousewheel doesn't register for some reason. It makes reading the entries a chore.

There have been more grammatical errors in this game in the first day than all of Analogue combined. I'm not sure somebody proofread this.

This caused me physical pain:

BSITHIiIUAAy_h-.jpg:small

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

Taking a picture of a computer screen would cause me physical pain too
lol

I also assume you can bypass the time limit by changing your computer's clock just like any other game that uses it, but I'm totally down with having a forced break for this title.

Mzo

Well, looks like I'm out of luck since I reformatted my PC earlier this year. Oh well, its not that big of a deal is it?

So, anyone here playing the game without transferring a Hate Story save file?

There's a quick like 4 item long questionnaire that lets you set every choice made in the first game. Except maybe the harem ending.

I deleted local content for Analogue and my saves were still in the system somewhere. Like someone said, unless you formatted you're probably ok. You could also just replay Analogue, it would take 15 minutes a session if you skip all the dialogue since it doesn't have ridiculous time restraints.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Is everyone cool with the forced 12 irl hour wait after the first day and (I assume) after the second?
That seems really, really unnecessary and dumb to me. I kind of absolutely hate it. Kills any interest I have in playing multiple routes. The most efficient way is to have three games running concurrently, one from each Analogue ending. Kind of sucks!

Also I find the interface in this game to be a step back from Analogue in general. Having to scroll through long documents when I can't grab and drag the scroll bar is annoying.
Yeah, I'm finding myself really at odds with the same stuff. Could not be more of a pain to scroll through documents. I was really hoping to find a key binding or something to just scroll down but nothing was really coming up.

Don't really care for the time limiters. I don't really understand what they are supposed to add to the experience when all it means is that I have to stop playing. Both of these problems kind of combined for me. When I hit the time limit with Hyun-ae I just switched to Mute, and scrolling through the same documents a second time is super tedious. I mostly just wanted her reactions, but it's also kind of difficult at times to parse what it is she is reacting to when I'm not engaged with the documents while going through them again.

I think costumes might be tied to old Analogue saves. Not sure. I have them on my save game for Hyun-ae but not for my fresh game with Mute.

Also I find the interface in this game to be a step back from Analogue in general. Having to scroll through long documents when I can't grab and drag the scroll bar is annoying. On top of that, every 4th or 5th click as I scroll my mousewheel doesn't register for some reason. It makes reading the entries a chore.

There have been more grammatical errors in this game in the first day than all of Analogue combined. I'm not sure somebody proofread this.

I can at least respond to some of these. Note that I'm speaking entirely for myself here and not for Christine Love or any of the other members of the Hate Plus team.

The reason for the 12 hour wait system is, well, because of Love Plus being the inspiration for the name. I assure you, the concern over forcing it was brought up with Christine and she made the choice to enforce it. That being said, there are at least a couple ways to bypass this restriction, if you really feel you must. One is more obvious (And is mentioned above) and the other is easier but will prevent you from getting one of the achievements.

re: The scroll bar. Sadly, this was a late change that was required by the nature of the AIs reading along with you. Being able to drag and drop basically allowed you to miss parts, so it had to be restricted to scrolling with the arrows and the wheel only. As for the scrolling not being entirely smooth, this seems to mostly be the result of this functionality not being something Ren'Py is intended to do natively, so it had to be scripted in.

On grammatical errors, I'm not really in a place to comment on those.

Mzo

Thank you for your responses, SS! I don't want it to sound like I hate the game or think you guys did a terrible job or anything, I just really like to bitch. But on that note...

The reason for the 12 hour wait system is, well, because of Love Plus being the inspiration for the name. I assure you, the concern over forcing it was brought up with Christine and she made the choice to enforce it.
Now I feel even worse about the timed lockout since it doesn't even sound like there was a good reason for it =[

I'm going to delete the other save games and play out the different routes one by one over the course of 9 days for that achievement. I hope I didn't already screw it up by having concurrent sessions. How does it know, btw? Is there a new game plus option that somehow links the playthroughs?

The achievement is not triggered server-side. It is triggered by the player taking certain steps that are outlined in a response email from Christine and those steps are time sensitive. Failure to act in the designated time frame will prevent you from unlocking the achievement and you'll then need to hope Christine will let you try again.
I'm not obsessive about Steam achievements so it's not a big deal, but this sounds like a problem waiting to happen.

Now I feel even worse about the timed lockout since it doesn't even sound like there was a good reason for it =[

I'm going to delete the other save games and play out the different routes one by one over the course of 9 days for that achievement. I hope I didn't already screw it up by having concurrent sessions. How does it know, btw? Is there a new game plus option that somehow links the playthroughs?

Well, to be fair, while the idea was from Love Plus, I think she also wanted to try something different with the medium and force people to take breaks.

As for the achievement, playing three routes at the same time shouldn't *actually* cause a problem. The issue is if you skip the waiting period then those playthroughs don't count towards it.

JC Lately

Finished day one this morning. The logs read so far don't scream ALL YOUR FREEDOMS ARE BELONG TO US, but that's the whole point. Def some red flags that are easy to see from the outside with the benefit of time lapsed events, but porabaly not so much when you're living it. Though that whole behind the scenes politicking with the new councilor does seem eerily possible and somehow familiar.

Also: is anyone else concerned about the presence of the 'Emergency Diagnosis' button on the main screen? And what was up with that email from Earth?

Stupid job keeping me away from day 2...

Mzo

Also: is anyone else concerned about the presence of the 'Emergency Diagnosis' button on the main screen? And what was up with that email from Earth?
I'm assuming the button is part of whatever timed crisis is going to happen and that the email will lead to the final choice in the game.

OH AND WHILE I'M BITCHING the AI dialogue is prompted by text like as soon as it scrolls on the screen. I tend not to read along the very bottom but somewhere in the middle, so their responses are always about something I haven't quite read by juuuust long enough to be weird.

Cloud save on Analogue doesn't work :( I can't find my old save file in the new computer.

I seemed to have lost mine in a format, but it only took me about 20 minutes or so to get the save I wanted to start the game with. Really if you don't read anything there isn't too much to get out of Analogue.

Having finished Day 2, I quite like the artificial time limit placed within the game. I think it adds a partial episodic quality to the game with the benefit that the time between chapters is only a day. Although It could only be counted on as being 3 episodes long, I think I'll probably dive back in to the other paths as the achievement suggests.

JC Lately

OH AND WHILE I'M BITCHING the AI dialogue is prompted by text like as soon as it scrolls on the screen. I tend not to read along the very bottom but somewhere in the middle, so their responses are always about something I haven't quite read by juuuust long enough to be weird.

I figured that was intentional. I mean she is an AI, of course she can read faster than you.

I figured that was intentional. I mean she is an AI, of course she can can read faster than you.

It'd be nice to toggle a colored underline or some other way of notating which specific thing they are reacting to. I like the inline reactions better then the back and forth in Analogue, but during certain Logs it would have been nice to see the specific moments they are reacting to. In general they are more vague musings on the Log in general, but playing the Harem route, it can get a bit hectic at times.

JC Lately

Day 2 complete.

Is being forced to read the Old Mute Dies log unavoidable on day two? Because that kind of annoyed me. I was trying to read the logs in chronological order to get a feel for the decline and see if I could find the tipping point. But no, just when I was really getting into the personal and political tales the game is all like: Your coup has failed, ladies! ALL YOUR FREEDOMS ARE BELONG TO US! It just raises further questions that I now have to wait 12 hours to answer.

Also: The emails from Earth continue to worry me.
If they think for one second that I'm handing over *Hyun-ae to anything other than a brand new hardshell body, they got another thing coming.

Day 2 complete.

Is being forced to read the Old Mute Dies log unavoidable on day two? Because that kind of annoyed me. I was trying to read the logs in chronological order to get a feel for the decline and see if I could find the tipping point. But no, just when I was really getting into the personal and political tales the game is all like: Your coup has failed, ladies! ALL YOUR FREEDOMS ARE BELONG TO US! It just raises further questions that I now have to wait 12 hours to answer.

On the end of Day 2:

No, there is no way to avoid reading The Death of *Mute at the end of Day 2. Day 3 wouldn't work if it wasn't read.

As for it yanking you forward if you were reading everything in in chronological order, that was a concern that Christine was aware of due to the open nature of selecting which logs to read. There was some talk of making some of the logs leading up to it required somehow, but that never went anywhere, although I don't know if it's because it was specifically decided against or just because of time constraints.

JC Lately

Day 3 wouldn't work without reading it? Huh. Now I'm intrigued. Also, worried. The implications of that sentence are... staggering

Still 3 hours left on my timer. Damn it.

Mzo

The forced log was the first one I clicked on. Once you see the headline you pretty much have to click it. I only realized it was forced because one of my four concurrent playthroughs was clicking every log in chronological order.

Regarding *Mute:
Her speech patterns in Analogue made sense when she was a teen in appearance, even if it was anachronistic to the culture of the time. I assumed she was programmed that way years and years before the decline of the colony ship. Now it's weird because not only does Old *Mute make an effort to change her appearance every so often to mimic slow aging but she, like, never thought about, like, changing the way she talks to simulate maturity? And when she was brought back online with no memories by the new regime she still, like, talks the same way?

Haven't played day three because I'm super busy today, even though I had allllll last night free to play. Wheeeee~ how fun and innovative!

BanGy.nz

Banned
I'm baking a cake. A video game is making me do this... I don't understand how this is a thing but here I am baking a cake.

BanGy.nz

Banned
My cake is a lopsided mess, I'll post picture after it cools and I've iced it and then I'll finally start playing day 3.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Oh the sequel came out already? I need to pick it up.

The first one was an alright experience.

Mzo

Tried to play day 3 at 2 am. This is way too late for what it's asking me to do. I'll have to come back to it Saturday morning.

I'm doing it.

I figured that was intentional. I mean she is an AI, of course she can read faster than you.
This is a really good point; *Hyen-ae has mentioned that she reads very quickly a few times. I'll buy it. Bitching rescinded.

Well I finished up Day 3 of Hyun-ae's route today, seems each route has multiple endings because I reloaded a save to see two different ones. Got that cake picture sent in as well so that I can get the best/saddest/coolest achievement ever.

I'm gonna stick by the book and not start Mute's route until tomorrow though so I can do this properly over the 9 days required.

BanGy.nz

Banned
Well I finished up Day 3 of Hyun-ae's route today, seems each route has multiple endings because I reloaded a save to see two different ones. Got that cake picture sent in as well so that I can get the best/saddest/coolest achievement ever.

I'm gonna stick by the book and not start Mute's route until tomorrow though so I can do this properly over the 9 days required.

Oh wow I'm doing exactly the same, hello mirror me how's it going?

cj_iwakura

I found the Analogue folder on my desktop, but when I moved it to my laptop it had no saves. Did I miss a save folder somewhere else?

Never mind! Thanks based cloud save.

What happens if you got multiple endings?

cj_iwakura

This game has some weird optimization. My brand new laptop, which runs Witcher 2, chugs when running Hate Plus, but it runs on my 13 year old desktop with no(okay, minimal) problem, and it ran W2 at a snail's pace.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
This game has some weird optimization. My brand new laptop, which runs Witcher 2, chugs when running Hate Plus, but it runs on my 13 year old desktop with no(okay, minimal) problem, and it ran W2 at a snail's pace.

Your new laptop probably has dual mode graphics. Make sure it's not using the integrated card to run Hate Plus.

TheExodu5

Banned
I've had Analog: A Hate Story for a while but haven't tried it yet. Should I be playing Digital: A Love Story first, or is it largely unrelated?

JC Lately

About to start Mute's day three. I'm oddly worried to load the file. It occurred to me, knowing the full story from playing the other route, that Mute is not going to take things well at all.

Cyborg771

Neo Member
Finished my *Hyun-Ae playthrough, doing the *Mute and Harem playthrough now for completion sake but god damn, I don't like *Mute very much. I hope she rescinds her attitude towards women by the end of this.

The Harem is a little better in this regard (wow, a Harem is the less sexist option?) because *Hyun-Ae can tell her off for it sometimes.

JC Lately

Finished my *Hyun-Ae playthrough, doing the *Mute and Harem playthrough now for completion sake but god damn, I don't like *Mute very much. I hope she rescinds her attitude towards women by the end of this.

The Harem is a little better in this regard (wow, a Harem is the less sexist option?) because *Hyun-Ae can tell her off for it sometimes.

I consider it more like a polyamorous marriage than just a mere "harem" but that might be just my head cannon.

Also in regards to Mute's attitude: Be careful what you wish for.

Cyborg771

Neo Member
I consuer it more like a polyamorous marriage than just a mere "harem" but that might be just my head cannon.

Oh I don't have a problem with polyamory, but Love herself refers to it as a harem, even in the achievements. "I Heard You Like Visual Novels: Finish the game with your completely impossible AI harem!"

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Wrapped up both the Mute and Hyun-ae routes today. While I find some of the themes conceptually appealing I'm not sure that Hate Plus ever really creates something meaningful with them. I felt extremely detached from most of the game, and the scenarios distance from most of what is occurring made the experience feel much more passive than I would've liked. There isn't really enough going on in the here and now of Hate Plus, and the AI companion's dialogue was simply too plain and uneventful to solidify its own narrative.

As slick as the UI is, its slow responsiveness can become tiresome, and not much is really done with the options (i.e. clothing or the emergency diagnostic) it integrates into its larger interface. Structurally the game just didn't really click with me either. Being able to select logs from a giant batch is sorta pointless when there is sort of a strict chronology that enhances the individual plotlines, and I can't help but feel that a more rigid ordering would've at least benefited the very loose ties between these plotlines. Its open ended nature feels like an illusion, particularly when the game forces you to read critical logs at specific times to skew the plot.
I was interested in simply avoiding reading about Mute's death to potentially delay or prevent her reaction to it, but that didn't really seem possible.

With Hyun-ae I didn't feel like the title really hit a climactic point, and with Mute that climax came early and seemed to compromise itself without really exploring the implications of that kind of climax. From the two endings I received neither really sold me on the importance of what I'd done during the last three days.

Top Bottom