• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hawken |OT| Why would you put legs on a tank?

I think I'm gonna try this Open Beta out and see if I like it. I played a bit of the Alpha, but it didn't click with me as much as I thought it would. Hopefully, this more "official" release will do something for me.

Orayn

I agree. But lets be honest here, this is the pricing they saw fit to release to the public. If we didn't complain they would leave it as is while making stacks of money. Their current scheme doesn't give me confidence that they'll cut back significantly.

To be fair, it's only 8 months of playing an average of 3 hours a day if you buy 30-day HC boosters.

$576, 0 hours.
$80 and 720 hours at 3 hours per day.
$160 and 720 hours at 1.5 hours per day.
$0 and 1422 hours.

Did I mention that this approximation puts you a disadvantage because it assumes you never replenish your countermeasures, yet it still requires you to get first place in every single game you play? It also assumes they won't be releasing anything else that's substantive and costs HC, which they most certainly will.

VIDEO GAMES!

EDIT: To clarify, I'm only being so blunt with my complaints because I really like this game and I'm sad to see Adhesive and Meteor use such an unreasonable monetization scheme. I could do the same breakdown for MechWarrior Online, another game I enjoy tremendously, and it would be a lot worse than Hawken's.

Unicorn

I agree. But lets be honest here, this is the pricing they saw fit to release to the public. If we didn't complain they would leave it as is while making stacks of money. Their current scheme doesn't give me confidence that they'll cut back significantly.

Depends on if people are actually buying it.

I've seen a few people with paid customizations, but if they feel they can make more profit by dropping the price a bit, they'll do it.

Izayoi

Banned
Unlocking a chassis and all possible items and internals for it costs 82023HC, or 158 hours of playing Deathmatch and winning every single game. There are nine unlockable mechs, meaning it would take at least 1422 hours to get everything. :)
You would never need every internal for every mech. You'll be pretty set on the ones you buy. Getting all of them is a huge waste of money.

Orayn

You would never need every internal for every mech. You'll be pretty set on the ones you buy. Getting all of them is a huge waste of money.

I need all the unlocks like I need all the heroes in Dota 2: On the principles of good game design, though not necessarily in practice. Are all the possible combinations viable and worthwhile? Of course not, but there's no way for me to figure out which ones work without spending tens of dollars or hundreds of hours to get a good number of unlocks just to check. Even if I were one of the best Hawken players in the world and there was a tournament mode that made everything available, I'd still be stuck practicing with incomplete options, which puts a bad taste in my mouth.

(If items or internals unlock globally instead of on a per-mech basis, I've made a huge mistake and my calculations are totally wrong.)

EDIT: I look silly now because unlocks will be across all mechs? Need to confirm.

Izayoi

Banned
Did I mention that this approximation puts you a disadvantage because it assumes you never replenish your countermeasures, yet it still requires you to get first place in every single game you play? It also assumes they won't be releasing anything else that's substantive and costs HC, which they most certainly will.
Again, why would you buy EVERY internal? If you've looked at them, it's obvious which ones you'll use. You should never need more than two tops for one slot (functional for Siege/Non-Siege modes).

EDIT: To clarify, I'm only being so blunt with my complaints because I really like this game and I'm sad to see Adhesive and Meteor use such an unreasonable monetization scheme.
I don't think it's unreasonable at all. It's by far one of the best implementations of a F2P business model in an FPS, period. You start with the most versatile mech in the game, able to compete with everything. You aren't required to purchase anything to be competitive. In practice, Countermeasures are completely impractical and a non-issue. Even with Countermeasures, good players would barely use them anyway. I don't die very often, and many times it has nothing to do with what the countermeasures could prevent. If anything, they might allow a bad player with a lot of money to maybe have a little help, but if he's using them so often that he's outspending what a player could in HC he's probably not going to stand that much of a chance against you anyway.

Izayoi

Banned
Are all the possible combinations viable and worthwhile? Of course not, but there's no way for me to figure out which ones work without spending tens of dollars or hundreds of hours to get a good number of unlocks just to check.
That's what the internet, communities, and collective information gathering are for. You don't HAVE to use every single item to know how good they are. There are statistics and metrics we can use to determine which ones are useful in what situations.

Even if I were one of the best Hawken players in the world and there was a tournament mode that made everything available, I'd still be stuck practicing with incomplete options, which puts a bad taste in my mouth.
Are you the one of best Hawken players in the world? If you are, I am sorry that you're inconvenienced by it. It sucks that a small group of professionals won't be able to access everything, and as such, it's likely that the game will never be played "competitively." If you aren't a professional though, I would imagine that you are playing the game to have fun, correct? Are you saying that in order to have fun with the game, you need absolutely every unlock?

Fake Edit: That came off a lot more snarky than I intended. My apologies. I do think we should take this argument to the other thread at this point, though.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Depends on if people are actually buying it.

I've seen a few people with paid customizations, but if they feel they can make more profit by dropping the price a bit, they'll do it.
You're right. I kinda want to buy some body parts, since I'm playing anyway I should support them. I'll wait till the full release, see what they change.

(If items or internals unlock globally instead of on a per-mech basis, I've made a huge mistake and my calculations are totally wrong, though only slightly less ridiculous than before.)

Anyone know about this? If these aren't global unlocks then... :/

Unicorn

You're right. I kinda want to buy some body parts, since I'm playing anyway I should support them. I'll wait till the full release, see what they change.

Anyone know about this? If these aren't global unlocks then... :/

Now, If they could let you build up a "cart" and see what the finished mech would look like before you buy, then I'd be more tempted. I can't keep a mental image of all the parts I want on the mech at the same time.

Artanisix

Game is really fun, I'm having a total blast playing as a Bruiser. All range mechs are the best.

Sharpshooters feel horrendously underpowered to me, but I'm not sure. All these Recruits rushing my face when I play SS and there's little to nothing that I can do.

Ok so I made some of the tweaks that you guys mentioned to the price board and I'd appreciate it if you could let me know if I need to make any more corrections.

Orayn

If unlocks will be global in the future, the cost for everything the game has to offer is 129,458HC (~250 hours?) or 14544MC ($101). That's a lot more reasonable. Time for some edits!

sixghost

I don't know about this game. Maybe it's just because everyone is running around with the default mech, so it's nothing but grenade launcher strafe fights, but the combat doesn't seem great. The game also just feels a little empty, like certain menus are just missing music, or any kind of sound. I'll probably play some more, but I already feel like I'm losing interest. Maybe it's just not my kind of game.

Unicorn

I don't know about this game. Maybe it's just because everyone is running around with the default mech, so it's nothing but grenade launcher strafe fights, but the combat doesn't seem great. The game also just feels a little empty, like certain menus are just missing music, or any kind of sound. I'll probably play some more, but I already feel like I'm losing interest. Maybe it's just not my kind of game.

On the left of the main menu there's a tab, click it and there's 2 mechs you can "rent."

Some variety most people don't know is available to them.

antitrop

The game also just feels a little empty, like certain menus are just missing music, or any kind of sound. I'll probably play some more, but I already feel like I'm losing interest. Maybe it's just not my kind of game.
O P E N B E T A.

I even noticed last night that there's no way to close the Options Menu once you open it. It's a Beta, there's weird shit you wouldn't expect, that's totally normal. Obviously right now they're focusing mostly on the actual core gameplay and refining the F2P model.

Weird little quirks like the Options Menu and strange lacks of sound can be dealt with later.

antitrop

Speaking of Betas I confirmed a friend request and the game crashed to desktop. Hahaha. First crash, though. I played hours of even the Alpha with no crashes, so this one was weird to me.

bgbball31

Had my best game yet earlier today, 17-0 TDM on Prosk (or whatever that city level is called)!

Anyways, really enjoying it so far, but I do wish that there was a bit more feedback when getting hit, and maybe I need to mess with the options a bit more, but I also wish it sounded a bit better. I know it is F2P and not some AAA game coming out, but as someone said before, these are giant mechs getting hit with bullets and rockets with giant boosters on the back, so it would be nice if it would sound more like it.

antitrop

So can anyone who's put some decent time into the game give me an idea how they feel about leading targets?

I haven't gotten a good feel for whether to lead targets or not, because the feedback of whether your shots are actually hitting or missing is bad.

Also you better believe I just died because I was too busy paying attention to the graphics and artwork.

Zeal

Banned
I don't feel like there's enough feedback when you're hitting and being hit.

This is my main complaint. It is almost impossible to tell when you're getting hit until you're dead. Could also use a little work to show when you're hitting others.

Unicorn

So can anyone who's put some decent time into the game give me an idea how they feel about leading targets?

I haven't gotten a good feel for whether to lead targets or not, because the feedback of whether your shots are actually hitting or missing is bad.

Also you better believe I just died because I was too busy paying attention to the graphics and artwork.

Some matches I feel like I know what I'm doing with leading shots, but I'm either experiencing Framedrops, lag, or screen tearing/shaking (I have vsync on, but I swear I see tearing sometimes) and that fucks with my observations on if I'm doing good shit.

Giving and getting hits needs to be communicated better. My screen shakes just from moving, so when I'm moving and getting hit, unless I'm looking at my health I don't realize it and then I just drop. That makes me rage the most. Well, getting caught on geometry and in corners makes me more mad. Fuck ceiling above me I don't know about. I'm a mech, let me break the tiny ass ceiling.

Orayn

There is a hit confirmation "chirp" like Call of Duty, but it's definitely too quiet compared to all the other sound effects that are going on.

They could mix up the reticle hit indicator a little bit, too. Maybe separate visuals for secondary and primary weapon hit confirmations?

Also, I'm not sure about leading shots since I'm usually using the Submachine Cannon at close range, but the TOW's flight path takes it in a LOT higher than your reticle at most distances. Aim lower than you need to, and detonate early since splash and direct damage are the same. When both people are good with the TOW, one on one fights turn into an interesting little duel of jumps, side-boosts, and chipping away with your primary while you wait for the TOW to be ready again.

Unicorn

It seems like at long range if you have an enemy in your sights the TOW seems to home in a bit. It's still squirrely, but perhaps I'm just imagining it, but it seems to hit more often than I would expect it to.

Also added some people from the spreadsheet, mostly West Coasters

sixghost

With the assault rifle there is virtually no need to lead. Shooting the ToW feels so weird. I can't tell if the rocket originates off center or is just extremely slow.

They really should have unlocked 1 or 2 mechs. You can trial those 2, but you can't optimize or anything. I imagine most people will just try them for a match or two, then go back to playing the mech they can actually upgrade.

Another thing, my ping has been absolute shit most games. Maybe 150 if I'm lucky.

Izayoi

Banned
You will learn. It took me a bit, but once I mastered leading, the Assault became a god mech.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
EDIT: Eh, I wish there was a Class A Mech with a Sabot Rifle ;)

I think the slight changes in UI and whatnot are making me like this a little bit better. I'm doing better in matches too. I'd say I need to play a bit more to see if anything really bothers me right now, but everything seems fine so far.

I do wish that other weapons weren't blocked by pay only unlocks. Don't get me wrong, I do like using the assault rifle and launcher, but a little bit of variety here and there is always nice. If only they would let you unlock them with the in-game earned credits as well.

Edit - Scratch that about the weapon unlocks thing.

Orayn

I think the slight changes in UI and whatnot are making me like this a little bit better. I'm doing better in matches too. I'd say I need to play a bit more to see if anything really bothers me right now, but everything seems fine so far.

I do wish that other weapons weren't blocked by pay only unlocks. Don't get me wrong, I do like using the assault rifle and launcher, but a little bit of variety here and there is always nice. If only they would let you unlock them with the in-game earned credits as well.

The only cash-only unlocks are cosmetic. Everything else can be bought through HC.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Haven't tried the current Sharpshooter yet, what do you feel is underpowered?

antitrop

GAF kicked some Hawken ass tonight. Nerf GAF.

I had a blast, too. Game was tons of fun. Destroying other mechs feels so satisfying because of how much effort is required to actually get a kill in this game.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Having no small things to buy really is hampering my experience.

On one hand it's great that from level 8-20 something it's all the same, but when you get the vulcan and a grenade or EMP that's a ridiculous boost. I'm still going like 15+ kills a game so I can only imagine it's worse for others.

I didn't find the Rocket mech or the Scout to be overpowered which was great. Only one I can think would be too strong is the Sniper, but you have to buy that atm.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Surely they'll need to add 360 controller support when they release the oculus rift update? That could be a real pain to Palau with keyboard and mouse

Looks like they sped it up since the closed alpha too, that felt weighty and quite slow while your mechs accelerated in a straight line, this seems more like a classic FPS (bit slower). And performance is much better but my laptop is still borderline

antitrop

Oh my God I forgot about Oculus Rift support.

I think my eyes would explode out of my skull if I tried that thing. Hawken looks so good already.

Top Bottom