• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO's Veep - Season 3 - Running for president and busting her lady balls - Daniwah!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empty

despite being a silly show the bits about the tech guys trying to position themselves as above politics yet still wanting tax cuts and government promotion and ripping off content providers were quite pointed

ryantology is just amazing. i wanted more of kent falling in love with the silicon valley nonsense. selina's contempt was great though, the 'do they put their turds in the cloud' #dead

Ekdrm2d1

jonah1s3fx8.gif

Veep is amazing

TTG

Liked the episode, but way too much Jonah. I swear, he is second in screen time only behind Selena. And how many weeks in a row has the rug been pulled from under him now, three?

I feel like the title of campaign manager will be bestowed on someone next episode, maybe not Dan or Amy?

Peru

Liked the episode, but way too much Jonah. I swear, he is second in screen time only behind Selena. And how many weeks in a row has the rug been pulled from under him now, three?

The rug is being pulled from under everyone in this show who's got a good thing going,, every episode. Kinda the theme.

StuBurns

Banned
So I did a little drive-by creeping earlier, but I didn't really comment on the episode.

I thought it was quite good, but the google/facebook company they visited was a little too extreme I think, it's also a missed opportunity to not comment on privacy policies if they're going to comment on the tax stuff.

It was certainly the weakest of the season so far, but not bad.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
She didn't make her first million until 30, and she's totally grounded.

Amy's face was amazing. Almost as good as her reaction to the 'police sketch face of a rapist' line in S1.

lol that was my favorite bit from the episode. Amy's face was priceless!

BigAT

Good to know that Jonah's second stepfather was rather supportive.

Chung's line about "I've never made political capital from my military service" cracked me up.

mclem

So... do Americans always pronounce "Craig" as "Cregg" by default? Emphasising the I-sound is pretty much how it's done in the UK; indeed, I thought that was Iannucci's voice coming through there... right up until he didn't have someone slam them down for calling those bricks "Legos".

(I did a similar bit of boggling when I first heard how Americans pronounce "Graham")

addik

Finally got to watch the last episode. It was an amazing episode. I loved how after the intense second and third episodes, they took it down a notch this episode while not sacrificing humor.

The only thing that confused me was that it was revealed that Chung was not even torturer according to "White House documents" or something. I wasn't sure if that was real (considering the "info" came from Ben) and simply covered-up by the government, or that Chung really didn't do anything.

Dachande

I thought the last episode was the best of the season so far too. I was fucking dying at the Meat Meyer and Meeting Meyer website parodies, and Gary's attempts to hide the latter. The line "Jonah with money? God almighty, it's like if Hitler could fly" made me burst into laughter too. Absolutely amazing.

Chris R

Loved the end of the episode when Amy turns the offer down.

She values me!!! Oh be right there flushing this turd down.

Rookje

- Amy looked hot. That dress she had on... unf.
- I laughed the entire episode. So many good jokes. The best episode of the series so far I think.

tmarques

"We put it out there and something will come up to back it up. That's journalism 101."

If they drop the show for whatever reason, I hope Jonah gets his own spin-off.

Bit behind just watched episode 2. WHich might be my favourite episode of VEEP. Dan losing his shit over how fucking stupid the abortion issue is, was great.

Also I kinda love the relation between the VEEP and Ben, their friendship seems pretty real. Although he might be angling for a job, but he does seem to like Selina and agrees on how POTUS is a giant pain in the ass.

As much as I've always loved this show, I had for the longest time doubted that it could become as good as The Thick of It. This past week's episode, which I think was the best one since the show began, proved me wrong. The Jonah stuff is on a whole other level now, just incredibly good. Between this and Silicon Valley my whole week is now pretty much just waiting for Sunday night to roll around again.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I feel like the Jonah website stuff borders a little too much on the cartoony. It is a little too far-fetched at times. It isn't particularly problematic, because they rein it in quite effectively but it just isn't quite pitched right for me.

Empty

I feel like the Jonah website stuff borders a little too much on the cartoony. It is a little too far-fetched at times. It isn't particularly problematic, because they rein it in quite effectively but it just isn't quite pitched right for me.

i absolutely love the jonah website stuff but i'd say cartoony is a good word, i just think it's pitched right given how the show operates. i think veep is at its best when it marries ianucci's wordplay and deep understanding of the farcical circus of politics in the media eye with an almost arrested development style silliness. just to relate it to whitta's comparison to the thick of it, i think it illustrates the core difference between the shows. the thick of it is v. funny but also just really brutal and sad. the veep is sillier and i think overall funnier but has less bite*, even if it has some of the pathos. as a fan of both, i like it when the show embraces it's own distinct identity, even if my own tastes would lead me to preferring the thick of it.

* to explain more: there was a real sense of consequence to what happened on the thick of it, people would just get screwed over by the political machine and that would be it. on veep, it's more like a cartoon where everything gets reset, there's little meaningful that happens based on the zany events of each episodes and the characters are victims of their own inherent idiocy instead of pathetic pawns in a larger machine. jonah gets dumped in a humiliating way but not like ben swain or hugh abbott or nicola murray or even malcom tucker where you feel like it's sad and and/or significantly painful for the person involved, he's back next episode doing really over the top things, he'll continue to be back, it doesn't matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom