• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heist [Mafia] |OT| Snakes on a Train

*Splinter

Which, apparently, is only a benefit if you do it correctly.
j75vIc8.png

FluxWaveZ

CrimsonFist, your scum reads were

1. CornBurrito
2. Ourobolous
3. Droplet
4. Ty4on
5. Redhood
6. Possibly squidyj

You stated before that you thought town read lists would be more useful than scum read lists, so what are your top town?

Ourobolus

Banned
OK I WILL TRY THIS AGAIN

Given that Crimson couldn't have tied the vote with his vote on Mazre, I don't feel like he was that suspicious. Lynches give us information, for better or for worse, so I'm immediately wary of those that look like they are trying to prevent it. That's not to say CornBro was trying to prevent his scum-buddy Ty from biting it, but it's still really weird for him to tie it up.
(Not saying they are actually scum-buddies)

That said, despite my initial idiocy (don't worry, there will probably be more), my top scum remains the same.

For now, my top Scum are (honestly, in no particular order):
CornBurrito
Splinter
FluxWaveZ

Corn: Flip-flopper extraordinaire. While it's not uncharacteristic of him, it was just so silly that I'm having a hard time believing it was unintentional.
Splinter: I've had my eye on him since D1, and my suspicions haven't changed.
Flux: For the aforementioned Crimson read, on top of my initial suspicions the first day.

As for CornBro's theory on bussing scum D1/D2, yes, it's ballsy and silly, but I'm not going to rule anything out just yet.

I really wish people would actually read the posts I made regarding town and scum lists rather than being reductive like this.

As for top town, honestly, nobody. Right now, I don't think anybody is standing out as obviously towny in the way that say, Cabot and Burb were in Woof, plus considering that there's a lot of very experienced players in this game, I feel like I could be very easily mislead. When we do start lynching scum, I'll form town reads based on who was initially pushing those lynches, but I don't really trust any other judgements at the moment.

If I had to pick one though, I've quite liked *Splinter's contributions today.

Lists are a decent indicator of some things, but votes are ultimately the main "power" that we have.

That was intended to be a reply to Flux. I made two posts, one near the start of day 1 when people were posting "top 4 scums" which were little better than RNGing, due to how early it was in the game, that I criticised.

I then made another post later on proposing one possible advantage of top town lists, that when top townies don't get killed, we should question why.

This was never intended to mean that I find top town lists more valuable than top scum lists, both posts were made in very different contexts, and this is the third time that this has been ignored, and the third time that I've felt like I've had to clarify this.

FluxWaveZ

Hm, I see. I must have been recalling what someone else said about your preference for town reads compared to scum reads instead of your own comment.

Still, that's beside the point. So the only person you really peg as town right now is *Splinter. Good to know.

I have a game I'd like to play.

Everyone please post who you deem to be the most competent scum player. Not most competent townie, but who you think is the most competent scum player from previous experience.

I haven't been in a game where he was scum, but my vote goes to Ouro.

Note: This is NOT who you think is scum this game. This is who you think would be the most dangerous person if they WERE scum.

Ourobolus

Banned

Everyone please post who you deem to be the most competent scum player. Not most competent townie, but who you think is the most competent scum player from previous experience.

Note: This is NOT who you think is scum this game. This is who you think would be the most dangerous person if they WERE scum.

First off, someone didn't read Animal Crossing.

My vote: Splinter

*Splinter

Also this is garbage, but I'm voting myself anyway.

Deal with it

Sawneeks

Banned
Anyone mind providing an actual reason for why flipping between Royal and Mazre was just a scummy thing to do? Or are we just going go "hey he changed his vote! that MUST be scummy because it is scummy"?

A couple people have already explained this and you seem to be ignoring that.

1. Your starting vote on Royal is fine. You give your reasons and vote where you feel you should vote. Everything is fine here.

2. You switch your vote over to Mazre, citing that you are placing your trust in Squidy and going off of his reaction/judgement instead of your own. Your essentially moving responsibility of your vote over to someone else. Why would anyone Pro-Town do that? Be responsible for your own vote.

3. You swap your vote back to your original target, Royal. You gave your reasons for that but I don't understand why Royal voting for Mazre makes him more suspicious? Is it because you believe Mazre is Town? Care to explain that one?

4. You move your vote again and this time it's back to Mazre with 1 minute to go. This is where your logic starts to confuse me. You believe that Royal is Scum and him voting for Mazre makes him even scummier, which means you have to believe that Mazre is Town and is being voted on by Scum!Royal. Yet instead of going to vote out your believed Scum, Royal, you instead swap over to Mazre with less than a minute left citing a 'tie break' as your reason. Why not vote for Ty4on? Why pick Mazre OVER Royal when a major #scumtell for you was Royal's vote on Mazre?

tl;dr Corn is scum

Since you're new, I don't know you and burb being on my list -->

Besides Corn who's on your Top 4 suspect list right now?

Scum:
- Redhood: I believed he was Town as I was catching up with Day 1 due to the fact he would constantly cite being a Townie, something that would bring unnecessary attention to a Scum player. However, I haven't seen him do anything substantially Pro-Town either.
- Ty4on: I'm going to go back and see why Ty4on was on the chopping block for the end of Day 1 but I have already stated by reasoning for why he is scummy.
- Ouro: Really like the reads list format but he hasn't done a whole lot besides that. I've found Scum typically tend to hide in the 'I'm here but not being super helpful' crowd and Ouro is fitting right into that group.
- Crimson: He is more of my Neutral pick for this list but after seeing him pull the wool over Woofwoof's Town I am keeping my close eye on him. He is playing more loose than he was over in WW and this either means he has no worry of being caught because he isn't Scum or he took what he learned in that game and has refined his style.

My top town are currently:

1. Kawl_USC
2. *Splinter
3. Ourobolus
4. Sawneeks

While I'm flattered to be on your list I would like to know why. So far it seems I'm either fairly neutral to people because of being a replacement or I'm seen as Scum because of Burb. You're the first to call me Town despite only having a total of 3 posts by the time of your list.

CrimsonFist.

Ourobolus

Banned
- Ouro: Really like the reads list format but he hasn't done a whole lot besides that. I've found Scum typically tend to hide in the 'I'm here but not being super helpful' crowd and Ouro is fitting right into that group.

I'm ok with people considering me suspicious (in fact, with no PRs, I'm fine with anyone looking that way at anyone), but I'm curious what more you think I should be doing?

FluxWaveZ

While I'm flattered to be on your list I would like to know why. So far it seems I'm either fairly neutral to people because of being a replacement or I'm seen as Scum because of Burb. You're the first to call me Town despite only having a total of 3 posts by the time of your list.

It's not because of you, it's because of the one you replaced. I read Burbeting as slightly town, while you're pretty much a null read.

Though, honestly, that list isn't so much "top town" rather it's "the people who I feel no need to pay particular heed to for scum searching." So I guess "top nulls/towns" would fit there.

The people I think the 3-4 targets are concentrated in is:

01. [f] Droplet
02. [-] redhood56
07. [m] CornBurrito
08. [m] squidyj
10. [m] Karu
11. [m] Royal_Flush
12. [m] Ty4on
13. [m] CrimsonFist

Sawneeks

Banned
I'm ok with people considering me suspicious (in fact, with no PRs, I'm fine with anyone looking that way at anyone), but I'm curious what more you think I should be doing?

Moving discussion forward, putting forward questions, going after folks you think are Scum, etc.

You aren't the only one guilty of this but for some reason you're sticking out more than everyone else. It just feels like you're passively observing.

This is quite hard because I didn't see a lot of our players playing as Scum yet. I know that Karu is quite good in staying in a "Maybe? There are better targets, tough" state for an indefinite amount of time, but he isn't very good at influencing people, so maybe not the biggest threat. The other one I've seen the Scum version of is Splinter and because he stands out more than Karu he is also better at influencing people. I think he is more dangerous.

I know, these are basically just the ones I know (minus squidyj; haven't read WW yet), but everything else would be pure speculation, because being a good Town player doesn't necessarily mean being a good Scum player (see: squdiyj, who just felt a bit off in NV in general)

Most compenent scum? I haven't played with any of you but Ouro was scum right. I guess he has my vote.
If I remember correctly that's your only contribution so far today (I'm not counting that song, sorry). What do you think about the current situation? Do you think Ty4on is Scum? Do you think one or both of the Flippers are Scum? If both answers are no, do you think we should lynch one of them regardless to get confirmation or should we go after someone else?

Vote: Ourobolus
I guess that's based on his posts today?

Hahaha, I'm losing it. Maybe it was a mistake for me to jump into this after the insanity that was WW2. Is this why Burbeting and cabot left? Were they cracking, too???

I'm gonna lose again.
Do you mean you gonna get lynched soon, or do you actually mean loosing? Because those are fundamentally different things.

It's not because of you, it's because of the one you replaced. I read Burbeting as slightly town, while you're pretty much a null read.

Though, honestly, that list isn't so much "top town" rather it's "the people who I feel no need to pay particular heed to for scum searching." So I guess "top nulls/towns" would fit there.

The people I think the 3-4 targets are concentrated in is:

01. [f] Droplet
02. [-] redhood56
07. [m] CornBurrito
08. [m] squidyj
10. [m] Karu
11. [m] Royal_Flush
12. [m] Ty4on
13. [m] CrimsonFist
Just to clarify, as I find your wording to be a bit confusing: You think all scum are in this list or no scum is in this list?

FluxWaveZ

Do you mean you gonna get lynched soon, or do you actually mean loosing? Because those are fundamentally different things.

Just to clarify, as I find your wording to be a bit confusing: You think all scum are in this list or no scum is in this list?

Losing, as in my team will lose and I will lose the game.

All scum are in that list.

This is quite hard because I didn't see a lot of our players playing as Scum yet. I know that Karu is quite good in staying in a "Maybe? There are better targets, tough" state for an indefinite amount of time, but he isn't very good at influencing people, so maybe not the biggest threat. The other one I've seen the Scum version of is Splinter and because he stands out more than Karu he is also better at influencing people. I think he is more dangerous.

I literally said in the quoted post: THIS ISNT WHO YOU THINK IS SCUM THIS GAME.

redhood56

Banned

I know, these are basically just the ones I know (minus squidyj; haven't read WW yet), but everything else would be pure speculation, because being a good Town player doesn't necessarily mean being a good Scum player (see: squdiyj, who just felt a bit off in NV in general)

If I remember correctly that's your only contribution so far today (I'm not counting that song, sorry). What do you think about the current situation? Do you think Ty4on is Scum? Do you think one or both of the Flippers are Scum? If both answers are no, do you think we should lynch one of them regardless to get confirmation or should we go after someone else?

I guess that's based on his posts today?

Sorry I haven't been posting a lot, but I have been checking in. I think that one of the flippers is scum(except me, because we all know I'm town :p). It seems like a perfect opportunity to get a townie out without to much heat to them. I am leaning scum on Ty4on because we he was acting suspicious on day 1 and got away by the skin of his teeth.

Also yesno, you can change my gender from - to male in the op.

While we are here, the moment we have been all waiting for!
Bold Predictions
-Karu and Royal are scum
-Droplet is town
-Crimson is scum
-squidy will be the savior of us all

Ourobolus

Banned
Moving discussion forward, putting forward questions, going after folks you think are Scum, etc.

You aren't the only one guilty of this but for some reason you're sticking out more than everyone else. It just feels like you're passively observing.

Huh. Ok.

Sawneeks

Banned
So I wanted to go back and take a look at why Ty4on ended up being in the cross hairs at the end of Day 1 to get a clearer picture of what's going on. The first vote for Ty4on, besides from himself, is this:

You do mean if you flipped town, right? If so, I'd probably read... well, I checked back on the thread, and I'm actually not sure. Trying to find something in your interaction with others, you've become one of the people who lean scum for me right now, actually.

Vote: Ty4on

I think if you flipped Town, my scum read of CrimsonFist would ease up a bit.

CornBurrito still seems the same as I'm familiar with. cabot's pulling a Darryl and it's the same response as Darryl garnered from townies, despite Darryl being a townie as well.

Towards the end of Day 1. Both Flux's and Splinter's vote below are replies to things Ty4on said while talking to Corn.

Yeah fuck this post and everything in it

VOTE: Ty4on

^ This comes really close after Flux's vote btw.

It's amazing what some people can read into a handful of words.

Alright let's try this for focusing then, let's put myself up against Ty4on. You're all obviously free to vote for whomever you'd like but a 5 way tie at 2 votes a piece won't tell us much in the end.

VOTE: Ty4on

Also, since when was 2 (or even 3 votes) a bandwagon?

3rd Ty4on vote and it comes about a page after Splinter's. Mazre had some light suspicion on him before this but it's around here where things start to spiral.

Vote: Ty4on
You made some weird posts about voting for someone just because they didn't have any votes, the fight me comment a couple posts above as I'm writing this, and the self vote.

One of the last non-flip Ty4on votes of the day.

In between Mazre and Redhood at the end is when Squidy jumps in with his Mazre vote and reasoning behind it ( low post count and not much in the few posts Mazre made ). It actually doesn't gain any traction until Corn comes in and votes Mazre by citing a semi-trust in Squidy. After that the vote-count shifts and we end the Day with Mazre dead.

What I find interesting is that the Ty4on train actually has a really vague start to it, not to mention it starts really quickly and gains steam really fast. At least with the start of Mazre's train Squidy provides some logical reasoning that becomes quickly derailed by Corn.

Droplet

Droplet (22)

Droplet was unable to post for the first (real life) day, fair enough. Her first real post states she dislikes scumhunting based on low post count, so apologies Drop :p

She also opens with a vote on Crimson. I personally disagreed with the reasoning but it is logical and a fair vote. There is a little more pressure on Crimson, a few light reads, and then unfortunately she is busy/travelling again. She does come back to make a (very) late vote on Mazre, but unfortunately she hadn't really commented on Mazre or Ty before this so I can't glean much here.

Actually I take that back, you did mention them both a few minutes before your vote:

From this post, I can't really tell who you suspected most, maybe Mazre? There is also the post before this where you accuse the Ty4on voters of bandwagoning. So I guess you're vote on Mazre makes sense in this context, but then the next day...

...it turns out that she was actually more suspicious of Ty4on, and her vote for Mazre was based on low-activity, rather than the "bad feelings" mentioned at the time. In hindsight, this also directly contradicts her initial post of not scumhunting based on activity.

Next up, this post (and the subsequent unvote) are also weird:

There is no possible explanation Corn can give for his vote other than "it was an accident / I thought it was already tied", so changing her vote based on this is weird

Yes, I'll reiterate what I said to make it clearer. My vote on Mazre was stupid because I did find Ty's flailing at the end to be be scummy, but at the last moment I decided that I would pitch in my vote for Mazre because he was fairly inactive and his posts didn't contain much in the way of information. I was intending to make it a little closer between the two, but not to tie it, in the case that the people on standby like Ouro could cast a vote where they saw fit. I felt bad about this the moment I saw Corn and Crimson, who had already casted their votes, vote for him, and going into the next day, where we are now, I thought maybe it had been a ploy by them to save Ty from a lynch. Hence, my voting for Ty. However, seeing Ouro's math degree in action made me doubt myself (and I ignored Ty showing clearly that I didn't actually tie the vote, sorry), and that made me realize how easily Corn or Crimson could have thought I had tied the vote.

I'm not saying none of them are scum, but my initial vote for Ty was thinking that maybe lynching him first would give us a good read on the other two (and if you like it, on me as well). If they thought they were breaking a tie (and Crimson actually did, although not...exactly intentionally), then that wouldn't be the case.

As an aside, it's true that I dislike the idea of going purely based off of low activity, because there's always varying degrees of activity in scum. However, if someone's making posts with no substance in them, I don't particularly think there's any leniency to be had regardless of their activity levels.

Moving on,

Vote: CornBurrito

I don't really understand your reasoning for making us come up with our best "if this person were scum I would have no way of telling". The whole game is about us finding the actual scum in this game, there's no reason to turn ourselves against each other on the basis of somebody being a good scum one time or another, or not at all. You want us to vote, fine. You're being distracting.

I have a vote in place. Flux's activity today has honestly eased up my suspicion a bit, and it's not really doing much good there right now, so:

Vote: redhood56

You were one of the first people to gain suspicion yesterday, and that was never really cleared up for me completely. Today you've been barely active at all, you did make some "bold predictions," but I don't really put much stock in those without an argument to back them up, so:

Why do you think that Droplet is town? To me, she's not been nearly active enough to get a solid read on.

Backing up some of the other ones would be nice as well, but that's my main question for now.

Also:
It seems like a perfect opportunity to get a townie out without to much heat to them.]
If this was the plan, it really backfired.

However, seeing Ouro's math degree in action made me doubt myself (and I ignored Ty showing clearly that I didn't actually tie the vote, sorry), and that made me realize how easily Corn or Crimson could have thought I had tied the vote.

I'm not saying none of them are scum, but my initial vote for Ty was thinking that maybe lynching him first would give us a good read on the other two (and if you like it, on me as well). If they thought they were breaking a tie (and Crimson actually did, although not...exactly intentionally), then that wouldn't be the case.

I find it unlikely that Corn could have mistaken the situation for a tie. After all, it was him taking off his vote in the first place which I overlooked causing my mistake.

redhood56

Banned
Sorry dude ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

redhood, you were pretty damn bandwagony yesterday. Why'd you change your vote?
I said this earlier but i thought that if squidy was so sure about mazre, and he turned out to be scum it would look real bad for him so I decided to trust him.
Now for you Crimson,
I believe Droplet is town is because of my gut feeling :)

I don't really understand your reasoning for making us come up with our best "if this person were scum I would have no way of telling". The whole game is about us finding the actual scum in this game, there's no reason to turn ourselves against each other on the basis of somebody being a good scum one time or another, or not at all. You want us to vote, fine. You're being distracting.

Well hardly anyone played, so I couldn't have been that distracting.

My goal was to try and figure out who killed Czar. Didn't work, obviously.

Who killed Czar: someone who's watched or played with him before. Which would mean that there's at least one experienced player on the Scum team, in this game where most people are pretty experienced.

As I said earlier, killing Czar was the first thing that Makai advised us to do in Woof too, it's hardly a lesser known secret that he's a decent player.

Top Bottom