• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hell Yeah! |OT| That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Is the PSN+ deal one of those "you own this while you're a PSN+ subscriber" things, or is it a discount to £0.00 (ie you keep it afterwards)? I ask because when I've got the choice between paying £10 for the game or £11.99 for a 90 day subscription it seems obvious to go for the PSN+ and grab it for free.

Vert boil

Is the PSN+ deal one of those "you own this while you're a PSN+ subscriber" things, or is it a discount to £0.00 (ie you keep it afterwards)? I ask because when I've got the choice between paying £10 for the game or £11.99 for a 90 day subscription it seems obvious to go for the PSN+ and grab it for free.

A "you own this while you're a PSN+ subscriber" thing. You'd be able to play it again if you get another PS+ sub later on.

Just got this from plus and got to play it for about 15 minutes before I had to run. I am loving it! The controls are tight and let you do what you want? The art is gorgeous and super smooth and I am a big fan if the humour on display.

Volcynika

Played the PC version some last night. Really interesting game, but I'm only in the...third zone I think? Will get more time this weekend.

Finished this last night and had a blast! The soundtrack and atmosphere are awesome and there was just the right amount of challenge. Also the monster bios were genuinely funny. I hope more people give this a shot as I want more platformers like this...I miss the days of the wacky fun of Earthworm Jim and Boogerman

wetflame

Pizza Dog
A "you own this while you're a PSN+ subscriber" thing. You'd be able to play it again if you get another PS+ sub later on.

Ah, thanks. Still, a decent deal and I'm pretty sure I have a few other games in a similar situation so it might be worth picking up a sub. Especially if I can find a good deal somewhere.

GrayFoxPL

I couldn't stop playing today. Awesome game but it doesn't seem like that at the start. Later when you get actual puzzles, classic platforming, more challenging stages then it really shines! Awesome soundtrack and level design!

I have 3 gripes.
Control - It's great overall, but R2 for shooting is bad idea and it's quite impossible to shoot while jumping as you have to jump from x to right stick.

No game over - weak punishment for dying takes away most of the challenge.

Why having few types of machine gun and rocket launcher? - I don't even know which of them I upgraded.

I love the game pace right now and levels. It's very fun.

okno

Bought this a few days ago and sunk several hours into it over the past two days (mostly today.) Awesome, awesome game, but, as a PS3 player, it is frustrating. First, it was just the stutter (which, I noticed, does not occur at all during boss fights), but now I'm getting freezes at seemingly random moments every 30-45 minutes that requires a full system restart. Annoying. Also, I noticed as you progress further into the game, there are more and more enemies placed in areas that require you to jump and shoot to hit them. This doesn't make the enemy challenging or fun to contest, it just makes him/her a pain in the ass.

Beyond that, however, I can't really find any glaring faults! The art is varied and stylish, the characters are unique and engaging, and the variety in enemies is especially nice. Once the patch comes out, the game will be excellent.

And now it's time for me to reboot my system and get back in.

Duffyside

Banned
Perhaps this game's one major flaw is the button layout. Why do I have to push a button to shoot, which is already my button to drill? Why isn't it just the right stick to shoot? Furthermore, jumping should then be put on the R1 button, and a face button should be used for the zoom-out so I don't have to take my thumb off the stick when, y'know, playing, only when I want to pause and zoom out.

But still, love this game.

aku:jiki

Perhaps this game's one major flaw is the button layout. Why do I have to push a button to shoot, which is already my button to drill? Why isn't it just the right stick to shoot? Furthermore, jumping should then be put on the R1 button, and a face button should be used for the zoom-out so I don't have to take my thumb off the stick when, y'know, playing, only when I want to pause and zoom out.

But still, love this game.
I'd agree with all of this. I finished the game today and it was a blast, but it did get frustrating to have to fight the controls whenever I had to jump and shoot. And some of the level design towards the end turn from fun to frustrating (like did there really need to be spikes at the bottom of this blind jump? shit like that).

Overall very enjoyable game with a great script, though. I see Camille from Arkedo randomly teamed up with Stu Campbell on that, which was pretty neat.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I'm very close to the ending and I only need to kill one monster to open the final door, but I can't figure out how to kill that sucker.

This one: http://i.imgur.com/QjJqZ.jpg (spoiler, of course)

I have tried bringing the pyramid below him but the fireball doesn't cut through the rock and I can't clear the path completely myself (I get insta-killed whenever I try to get rid of that last bit of rock below him). What am I missing? Is he supposed to stand there swinging the axe perpetually? I'm starting to believe it's a bug or something. I tried exiting to main menu and re-entering but nothing changes.

Edit: Nvm. I made it. Jeez what a terrible fight. So random.

Edit 2: And I just realized you can destroy rock with rockets. No need to drill. *feels stupid*

Duffyside

Banned
Where is all my stuff from the island going? I have monsters working for my money at one hundred percent, and I don't know where it's going... The other stuff, too, but mostly my money.

Nishastra

Banned
This is why I (as someone with the PC version) play with mouse and keyboard whenever I'm in the wheel. It's not ideal for platforming or some of the minigames (I can't really get my hand in a position to mash E, F, X, and Space all together quickly enough), but for general moving around and shooting it's much better.

okno said:
First, it was just the stutter (which, I noticed, does not occur at all during boss fights), but now I'm getting freezes at seemingly random moments every 30-45 minutes that requires a full system restart. Annoying.
The stuttering is also getting on my nerves and i had to restart because of freezing just now as well. Only things marring what i'm finding to be an incredibly fun game... so far. I'm thinking i might wait for a patch before i finish it off.

okno

The stuttering is also getting on my nerves and i had to restart because of freezing just now as well. Only things marring what i'm finding to be an incredibly fun game... so far. I'm thinking i might wait for a patch before i finish it off.

Yeah, it's pretty bad. Mine just froze while loading, except this time I can exit out through the PS menu. It's just stuck at 25%, and the load messages keep changing. Not as bad as freezing, but this is just ridiculous. My 7th time in 8 hours.

edit: hit "Quit Game" from the PS menu and the system did a restart of its own. I might just just shelve the game until Oct. 16th when the patch comes out...

Het_Nkik

I just downloaded this on Steam because why not (actually because a couple people said it reminded them of EWJ). Getting ready to play right now. Hope it's good.

JEKKI

so am I seriously the only person having issues with this game on PC??

do my controllers really not work with this game?!?!

how are PC players playing it? is everyone except me using a xbox pad?

Het_Nkik

so am I seriously the only person having issues with this game on PC??

do my controllers really not work with this game?!?!

how are PC players playing it? is everyone except me using a xbox pad?

Haha, I went in trying to use my Saturn USB pad as well, then I discovered the game is made for dual sticks and such. But yeah, I have a wired 360 controller I'm now using instead. I'm sorry the game doesn't recognize anything but : (

JEKKI

they're like $30 tho, which can buy me about four real good burritos with some leftover change.

five or six if I go for lesser ones, but you really cannot go wrong with four good burritos.

anywayz,

yeay it's confirmed only 360 pads work:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/205230/discussions/0/882962066682779230

on the bright side, that thread recommended getting a controller emulator, which I did (called x360ce) and now the game works!

yah it's fun I guess.

I played for a few hours last night and the game is fucking great. I can't believe some of the review scores this game is getting. Arkedo has done an amazing job. If you like classic platforming or games with a great sense of humor, do yourself a favor and pick this up. You will not regret it!

NeoRausch

Great game! And i'n REALLY diggin the artstyle! How i missed you wonderfull 2D! Best loking 2D game since Wario Land: Shake it! for me.
the stutttering is damm annoying, didn't have any crashes so far.
soooo there is a patch comming, right?
how does that island stuff work?
why am i unable to beat the second boss? Lol, soo close, but no cigar!

question, questions, questions!

EDIT:

and how the hell do i make more bunnymoney? I'm allwas short on dimes!

Andvary

The game is awesome, but I got the stuttering video and audio every couple of minutes; It's very annoying so I hope it gets fixed quickly because the game is super fun.

Has there been any word on the freezing problem being patched?

How can they release a game like this -.- What's the certification process for?

Volcynika

Beat the PC version. I'm usually OK just letting the credits run but YEESH. The same song loops for like 15-20 times. Could've made it longer or alternate the songs or something.

Also, shotgun is totally overpowered awesomeness.

Toppot

Got this game free on PS+ and loving it so far, good and guirky. I am however very stuck and I desperately need help. I think my game has bugged.

I am in the hippy world and have killed 50 monsters. I need to reunite or show the bad ass's/butts together, the Mrs Butt is behind a ??? gate. It says I need to buy something from the shop, but the gate on the shop needs me to have killed 51 monsters, there are no other monsters about though. I have killed the duck monster that follows me and there is no way out of the bottom part of the level. At the top of the map I went right at the junction, and not down, and it took me to the bottom part of the level with the weird guy that reverses my controls. So I'm just stuck with no other monster to kill and no where to go, seemingly.

Any help would be very appreciated =]

Vert boil

Got this game free on PS+ and loving it so far, good and guirky. I am however very stuck and I desperately need help. I think my game has bugged.

I am in the hippy world and have killed 50 monsters. I need to reunite or show the bad ass's/butts together, the Mrs Butt is behind a ??? gate. It says I need to buy something from the shop, but the gate on the shop needs me to have killed 51 monsters, there are no other monsters about though. I have killed the duck monster that follows me and there is no way out of the bottom part of the level. At the top of the map I went right at the junction, and not down, and it took me to the bottom part of the level with the weird guy that reverses my controls. So I'm just stuck with no other monster to kill and no where to go, seemingly.

Any help would be very appreciated =]

*from memory* To kill the husband you need to stand next to the wall and hit the expand view button and he'll kill himself. Then go to the shop and there will be an item at the top that costs 0. You'll auto equip it and then go to the wife.

Toppot

*from memory* To kill the husband you need to stand next to the wall and hit the expand view button and he'll kill himself. Then go to the shop and there will be an item at the top that costs 0. You'll auto equip it and then go to the wife.

I could make sweet love to you right now. That was it xD Game does not hint enough about things, especially since
that isn't used as a game mechanic before this point.

Thank you very much =] *Continues enjoying game*

Gave the demo a go earlier, and bought the game so I could continue playing when it ended. That's very rare for me. Ended up playing for about 4 hours, and I just quit after reaching Zone 5.

I'm really enjoying it; it does lack variety, but what it does, it does very well, and doesn't get repetitive.

This generation has seen a plethora of great 2D platformers, and that makes me happy. They were long overdue for a comeback.

Withnail

Just completed it, had a great time and it ranks as one of my favourite downloads of the year. Loved the tight controls and the 60fps visuals. Also the art design and use of colour is almost subversive compared to other games these days. Very good fun. Thanks PS+!

Toppot

Just finished the game with all trophies. I was very impressed by the charm of this game, its funny and fun. Feels a little like a dumbed down and psyched up Jazz Jackrabbit. The art style is lovely, the characters & minigames are weird and whacky. The Island adds a nice side game, simple but rewarding. The guns are fun and play well, they have some tactile uses that are very good. The palette of the game is gorgeous, you have dark and light levels but they all fit together beautifully.

I think in a couple of places it could be a little clearer how to achieve things. It does freeze every so often (PS3) which can be annoying, but their are checkpoints so often that you aren't going to be set back too far. The controls do seem a bit weird, you have to claw the controller to jump, aim and shoot at the same time, which is kind of necessary in places. The credits song does get repetitive but just mute it after the acoustic song plays. Some of the optional missions are a pain to do and they don't reset the platforms correctly making it impossible to do on some tries. But if you time pressing the reset button you will be ok.

Overall it is a very fun game that is longer than you think, it is something fresh and charming that I think more old school gamers will love (Instant death on spikes isn't uncommon). Playing it makes me want a Jazz Jackrabbit return or a Jazz 2 HD.

I <3 the Happy Bunny Song ^_^ :3

Tacitus_

Just finished it.
My impressions: the music and graphics are absolutely gorgeous, the humor is good and the gameplay is pretty great.. with some exceptions. Either I suck at the controls or fine control is kinda hard, leading to frustrations when you need to do some precise platforming. Also using a controller, I don't have enough fingers to jump and shoot a weapon at the same time so I had to switch to KB/M during some segments. The minigames lose their charm near the end of the game, but I'd still say that they were a fine addition to the game.

Torraz

Played it on my fat PS 3 after getting it for free from PS+. Didn't really encounter any stuttering, except on the zoom-out function.

Liking it so far.

Koralsky

Ok, the game is great (just beat 20 monsters), but it locked my PS3 like crazy (more than 10 times).

SEGA, some patch? This is ridiculous :/

Volcynika

I'm stuck. I just got the ability to teleport, and now I have no idea where to go.

Any help would be most welcome!

Did you try to teleport somewhere? There should be a "!" on the map where you need to teleport to. If so, just look at your map for a now open door that you couldn't have gotten through earlier. I think it's the prison you go to first.

Did you try to teleport somewhere? There should be a "!" on the map where you need to teleport to. If so, just look at your map for a now open door that you couldn't have gotten through earlier. I think it's the prison you go to first.

My mistake; I already did that, and I've cleared that area. But I ended up taking the wrong route out, which made me think I was supposed to be searching another zone.

I've now found where I'm supposed to be going, thanks!

EDIT: Holy shit at the Zone 8 music.

Finished the pc version in about 5.5 hours with all the achievements done except the slot machine and death one. Overall I really enjoyed the game. The pacing was really great since it's not too long until you find the next target to take out. Like other people, I felt the controls made it hard to shoot while jumping, and this was made worse by enemy fire being able to travel more than a screen's distance while the main character's bullets would not.

MarkusRJR

This game is so awesome. The art style is gorgeous and the music is fantastic but...

I just had the game crash twice on my PS3. Ugh this is ridiculous. It's an awesome game but it's clearly not stable. Why would Sega release it in this state? There better be a patch soon. :(

Top Bottom