• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade 2 failed to make Top 100 in Europe during May (launch month)

Jaybe

Xbox is clearly determined to make Game Pass work. But there is a challenge. Game Pass numbers haven't grown much over the last 18 months, if at all. Meanwhile, premium sales of Xbox games have been disappointing. Hellblade 2 in May didn't even make the Top 100 in Europe.

Finally Dring acknowledges HB2’s failure.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Frustrated World Cup GIF

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
A game launched on GamePass, that took way too long, focused on a niche people, will have the big bucks?

Seriously?!

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
I think the problem is that, not only is it not selling copies, but it's not moving the needle getting people to subscribe either. It's just unsustainable, hence the recent price increases and expectation of more to come.
Unfortunately, it's the proverbial rearranging of the deck chairs on the Titanic. People like Gamepass because it's inexpensive for what you get. Xbox needs a better cadence to make it worthwhile at higher prices. Right now, that's just not happening.

Filben

Game Pass numbers haven't grown much over the last 18 months, if at all.
I don't even know how they wanted to achieve these target numbers to begin with. At one point almost every Xbox user has gotten the GamePass. Then what? It's still not going to be enough to be sustainable. Even if every PS5 user would convert over and got the GamePass – which is completely fairy dust and it's more likely for you to be struck by lightning – it still wouldn't be enough. They would need to get like additional 50 million non-gamer into video gaming and their ecosystem.

Completely blows my mind how they ever reached a point in their meetings and faithfully said, "that's achievable".

A game launched on GamePass, that took way too long, focused on a niche people, will have the big bucks?

Seriously?!
Some users like to shit on it no matter what.

It's a nice short experience, basically free for current subscribers. I guess that's a win.

On the other hand, subscription models are one of the worsts anti-consumer shit to ever come out of late-stage capitalism's ass: great in theory, terrible in their execution because of greed (oversimplified explanation that still holds true).

Every big service undergoes the same trajectory: first it seems like a great deal (because it actually kinda is: they need to build the base), and then it just goes downhill, one price hike at a time.

GamePass is no exclusion (see Spotify, Netflix and others for reference).

Last edited:

tommib

I honestly wonder if a PS5 version is even worth the port, but maybe they can position it as a showcase for the PS5 Pro if they can add more to its presentation or achieve 60fps.
They just need to take the black bars off on the PS5 pro version and sell it as a massive upgrade.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
great game but why would you buy it? its on game pass, unless you are very anti subscription service or one of those steam only mentals.

How is success measured?

No one is buying it.
It's not generating or maintaining many subscribers.

It's not about being anti subscription.. people said this wouldn't work out after people were saying Sony is going to be in trouble if they don't put games day one on PS plus

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
And they recently green-lit production of part three
Kind of a silly term for a project for a company you own. It’s usually used when outside contractors get funding for something (like in the TV/movie business.)

Of course your company of full time employees you pay gobs of money start working on the next thing.

It’s not like there’s a contract in place for their employees to get X amount of time and money. It can be quite easily cancelled early on.

Last edited:

Hrk69

Gold Member
Kind of a silly term for a project for a company you own. It’s usually used when outside contractors get funding for something (like in the TV/movie business.)

Of course your company of full time employees you pay gobs of money start working on the next thing.

It’s not like there’s a contract in place for their employees to get X amount of time and money. It can be quite easily cancelled early on.
fat bastard yes sir GIF

Raven117

In the end, they bet they could make GamePass Netflix. Unfortunately, the studios that they bought to create the content couldn't quite come up with enough good games to support that model. Games are way more expensive to make than some trash show that may or may not hit. If one fails, Netflix can just move on. In the gaming space, failures are devastating.

They just couldn't come up with enough big time content consistently.

FewRope

Xbox is clearly determined to make Game Pass work. But there is a challenge. Game Pass numbers haven't grown much over the last 18 months, if at all. Meanwhile, premium sales of Xbox games have been disappointing. Hellblade 2 in May didn't even make the Top 100 in Europe.

Finally Dring acknowledges HB2’s failure.
What is that headline lmaooo

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
They’ll make some money back when releasing it on the PSN store.

Doubtful. Sure some will buy it, but not enough to make a difference.

If Microsoft wanted to make some serious money from Playstation players, they'd release Halo, Forza and Gears etc. Not Hellblade.

Rockman33

Yikes. After playing through the game you can definitely see why this wasn’t a commercial hit. Happy that it was still made as it pushed the graphical boundaries probably the furthest any game has this gen.

xrnzaaas

Don't want to sound like a broken record, but they should've offered a disc release. Some people would be more than happy to have the physical copy on their shelf. 50$ for a digital copy of a game that's on Game Pass and can be finished in 1-2 evenings (and doesn't have replayability except for additional commentary) isn't an attractive offer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom