• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade 2 failed to make Top 100 in Europe during May (launch month)

Gambit2483

Wait, this was a $50 release and it didn't have a physical release? lol

tenor.gif

This is what gaming has come to
Yea, Xbox has been slowly winding down on actual (1st party) physical releases for a while now. Many of their games either don't receive a physical release at all (hi-fi rush, hellblade 2, etc.) or the game is just a code in a box or the disc is just an initialization key.

Not as if the userbase is still actually buying Xbox physical games anyways but yeah, 1sty party physical on Xbox is basically a shitshow.

Venom Snake

This should’ve been a Heavenly Sword style action game.

Yes exactly, these guys used to make games. Yes, they were a bit like that quiet kid who sits somewhere on the sidelines and hardly anyone talks about him, but they seemed quite competent. And despite what others say, i still think they are. The problem seems to be that they don't have very good timing when it comes to positioning themselves in the market in terms of consumer demand.
Heavenly Sword seemed appropriate because it appeared relatively quickly after the somewhat dry ps3 release, it didn't achieve spectacular results but at least it was adequate in the context of gameplay itself. Hellblade 2 just seems... outdated, like something that came out a decade too late to make an impression, even despite excellent visuals.

Puscifer

A game launched on GamePass, that took way too long, focused on a niche people, will have the big bucks?

Seriously?!
I have to say the fact it wasn't a flavor of the month game is surprising. It came and went and people on YouTube are joking about watching the story for free

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
it took them 7 years and doubling their staff to make this game.

I’m honestly impressed that they strung rich daddy Microsoft along for so long. How many meetings with upper management did they have where they said stuff like “oh yeah it’s coming along great, it’ll probably be done Q3 2021 or Q4 at the latest!!”

Either that or someone at Ninja Theory has some serious dirt on a MS VIP

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Sales don’t matter on Xbox. Only subs.

Do you think Netflix is worried about the sales if Stranger Things blue rays or if it is driving sub growth?

The game probably wasn’t a big hit. But sales isn’t the metric to look at. Subs matter at Microsoft, not sales. This is just like what they did 25 years ago with MS Office - disincentivize traditional sales and move the market to a subscription model.
Netflix has over 200M subscribers of course they’re not worried.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
It’s barely a game. They had 6 years to flesh this out to be a 15-20 hour adventure with good exploration and much better combat.

As well as get better puzzles, avoid the intentional force player to walk slow shit, and work on pacing.

They did nothing except make shiny graphics which I still don’t even think are remotely impressive to the degree some gobblers on here give it credit for.

I have gamepass and uninstalled it after a hour.

When people say “that’s a good gamepass game” this doesn’t even hit that meme metric because it barely charted on played games on gamepass.

This was a giant money sink piece of shit software.

You know what’s a good gamepass game? Lies of P.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Sales don’t matter on Xbox. Only subs.

Do you think Netflix is worried about the sales if Stranger Things blue rays or if it is driving sub growth?

The game probably wasn’t a big hit. But sales isn’t the metric to look at. Subs matter at Microsoft, not sales. This is just like what they did 25 years ago with MS Office - disincentivize traditional sales and move the market to a subscription model.
Stranger Things generates 30+ million subscribers and its one of the most popular shows on Netflix.

Sales aren't the end all be all but it's still an important metric to use, especially when Hellbalde 2 isn't attracting millions of people.

So if it's low on the most played Xbox list or fails to stay in the top 50 for a few days then Hellbalde 2 is clearly a failure because it's not attracting gamers on game pass or selling copies digitally.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
I can’t believe what happened to these guys. We went from Heavenly Sword and Enslaved to this tripe. How about going back to making a videogame.
I legit had no idea they made Journey to the West. I bought that game Day one on 360 and had a great time with it. It wasn’t the best game I’ve ever played but it had a unique charm and some really fun gameplay and mechanics.

Jesb

I legit had no idea they made Journey to the West. I bought that game Day one on 360 and had a great time with it. It wasn’t the best game I’ve ever played but it had a unique charm and some really fun gameplay and mechanics.
They had the talent to do great things. I don’t know why they have limited themselves with hellblade. They had a good pedigree going with their last 3 games before these.

PeteBull

Gold Member
They had the talent to do great things. I don’t know why they have limited themselves with hellblade. They had a good pedigree going with their last 3 games before these.
Indeed, this one had such a solid combat system, enjoyed it tons, i bet it still is fun to play today, much more from hellblade/h2.

Btw, just checked review of definitive edition from midle of 2022, game still holds up/is very fun, especially combat wise
timestamped to conclusion if some1 dont wanna watch whole 40minutes rofl

Reactions: Fbh

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Great tech demo for unreal engine 5. Looks incredible. Not sure if the studio will survive it though. But, it is what they wanted to make so I guess that's just the way the cookie crumbles.

I recall them having to go back to basics after the PS3/360 era of funding. The few left posted a video of doing AAA mocap and characters on a shoestring budget before the first Hellblade. Probably logical to carry on that route with MS, they would've wanted a graphical showcase.

Wonder if the the team will get another crack, expand the team or merge the tech people into other projects.

Sorcerer

I’m honestly impressed that they strung rich daddy Microsoft along for so long. How many meetings with upper management did they have where they said stuff like “oh yeah it’s coming along great, it’ll probably be done Q3 2021 or Q4 at the latest!!”

It could be that Microsoft was so excited to have Ninja Theory on board, that they threw all sorts of money and creative freedom that probably the developer was not initially expecting and Ninja Theory just ran with it.
The first Hellblade had a lot of positive buzz and Microsoft must have believed that throwing money and time at the project would deliver a monstrous blockbuster that would in turn lead to a monstrous franchise. I think Microsoft did not really pay attention to what the first game really was. I bet they thought Ninja Theory was going to deliver the next God of War.
It's telling that Microsoft announced the game would only be $50 bucks, at some point they even came to the conclusion this is not the game everybody was expecting after so much hype.

I think it's telling that most hold the game's overall quality to the length of development. Maybe if Ninja Theory just delivered such a small game within a reasonable time frame people would not harp on this fact. Realistically they should have had 3 out by now and starting to work on 4.
Aren't most survival horror games capable of being finished within a couple of hours if you know what you are doing? No one dogs those games for that because they did not take 7 years to make.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Xbox software sales have always been strange. On 360 they hit their peak with a high attach rate and lots of games selling good numbers. But only within a specific few genres. Xbox always had a hard time selling RPG, Fighting games, character action, abstract etc. Pretty much anything that wasn't about shooting.

Hellblade 2 was always going to fail on Xbox. And to be honest Ninja Theory just sucks. I didn't understand the positive reactions when they were aqcuired. They've always been a shit developer that goes for style over substance.

YuLY

Yes exactly, these guys used to make games. Yes, they were a bit like that quiet kid who sits somewhere on the sidelines and hardly anyone talks about him, but they seemed quite competent. And despite what others say, i still think they are.
The thing is, this is a problem that people keep making time and time again. Do we even know that the people who made Heavenly Sword and DmC Devil May Cry are even with the company anymore? Studios are not like people, just cause you keep the name, doesnt mean 15 years later it is still the same studio. And lets be honest, most studios/projects are successful due to 2-3 key people most of the time. Yes the grunt work needs talented people also, but those can still be found later, while the leaders and people with vision are harder to replace.

I really doubt this is the same studio that made Heavenly, Enslaved and DmC.

Venom Snake

The thing is, this is a problem that people keep making time and time again. Do we even know that the people who made Heavenly Sword and DmC Devil May Cry are even with the company anymore? Studios are not like people, just cause you keep the name, doesnt mean 15 years later it is still the same studio. And lets be honest, most studios/projects are successful due to 2-3 key people most of the time. Yes the grunt work needs talented people also, but those can still be found later, while the leaders and people with vision are harder to replace.

I really doubt this is the same studio that made Heavenly, Enslaved and DmC.

But of course, i have no idea what the staff turnover in this studio was like over the years, so rarely does anything from them receive the status of "news".

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
It could be that Microsoft was so excited to have Ninja Theory on board, that they threw all sorts of money and creative freedom that probably the developer was not initially expecting and Ninja Theory just ran with it.
The first Hellblade had a lot of positive buzz and Microsoft must have believed that throwing money and time at the project would deliver a monstrous blockbuster that would in turn lead to a monstrous franchise. I think Microsoft did not really pay attention to what the first game really was. I bet they thought Ninja Theory was going to deliver the next God of War.
It's telling that Microsoft announced the game would only be $50 bucks, at some point they even came to the conclusion this is not the game everybody was expecting after so much hype.

I think it's telling that most hold the game's overall quality to the length of development. Maybe if Ninja Theory just delivered such a small game within a reasonable time frame people would not harp on this fact. Realistically they should have had 3 out by now and starting to work on 4.
Aren't most survival horror games capable of being finished within a couple of hours if you know what you are doing? No one dogs those games for that because they did not take 7 years to make.
There are some games that can be beaten in a couple hours IF you’ve already played the game quite a bit and mastered it and you know exactly what you’re doing.

That’s different from a linear narrative-driven game with lots of walking + talking where you basically just play it for 5 hours start to finish and that’s it.

Also didn’t help that this was the first Xbox Series exclusive that MS showed off at the system’s reveal in 2019. They thought this was a system seller.

Mr Hyde

Tameem was the real MVP of Ninja Theory. He's directed and written every game NT has produced, except Bleeding Edge and HB2. He was the visionary of NT, the founder and the heart. He then made a deal with the devil and left the company, and no one is there to replace him.

Tameem Antoniades was smart to take his money and run when he did. Ninja Theory is absolutely fucked and nothing can save them now at this point.

I thought it was funny when he left before the game's release, that's never a good sign. He knew it was shaping up to be a disaster and he abandoned ship as soon as he could. Now he's living his best life with all the money he probably got from MS :messenger_tears_of_joy: .

Last edited:

Fbh

A 6 hours game with fairly bad word of mouth, very little actual gameplay and replay value, heavily advertised to be on a service where you can basically rent it and hundreds of other games for a month for a fraction of the price didn't sell well?
Hard to believe.

Yeah I don't get it.
When MS bought them I thought they'd basically turn them into their "Sony style" studio that woud be making cinematic AAA games in the style of God of War or The Last of Us.
Was even more sure of it when Hellblade 2 was one of the main games they used to reveal the Series S/X.

And now several years later all they have to show is another short walking simulator, although one with really nice visuals.

Sorcerer

Tameem Antoniades was smart to take his money and run when he did. Ninja Theory is absolutely fucked and nothing can save them now at this point.

I thought it was funny when he left before the game's release, that's never a good sign. He knew it was shaping up to be a disaster and he abandoned ship as soon as he could. Now he's living his best life with all the money he probably got from MS :messenger_tears_of_joy: .

I gather somewhere along the line Tameem started hated being under Microsoft's thumb. Remember when Phil talked about giving teams total freedom, letting them do what they wanted unchecked. Antoniades probably loved that along with the money MS was throwing at the project. Things started going sour, starting with Redfall, and Microsoft started to tighten the screws on teams and he decided to bail after his commitment was complete. I don't think he saw Hellblade 2 as a disaster as it's probably his baby after all.

Here is a quote taken from the Game Developer website: (Concerning being bought by Microsoft)

At the time, Antoniades said the deal was "totally unexpected" and "not something we were really looking to do," but would ultimately enable the studio to take "bigger creative risks."

"We want to make our own games our own way, and not be told what to make and how to make it, and above all we want to protect our team, our culture, and our identity," he said.

What's funny is looking at the party animal picture you would never think he would have had the sensitivity to portray Senua as he did. I feel he seems more like the guy who probably shaped Nariko. But if Senua is indeed based on Kai, then it makes sense after all. (Both Heavenly Sword characters).

Last edited:

PeteBull

Gold Member

And then ur avg joe wonders why all those hoes got bodycount that would put john wick to shame, they ran tru by 21yo already :p

Last edited:

onQ123

The problem here is not Gamepass, it's that these short graphical "experiences" with very little gameplay are well known to be super niche products.
Ninja Theory should have built on the foundation of the original to make a much better game, instead they basically took all Microsoft’s money to learn how to use UE5, pay the mocap studio and travel around the world to find the artistic inspiration 🤭 👀 :pie_roffles:
If the studio survives they'll be tasked to do something completely different.
Detroit: Become Human did pretty good though

Top Bottom