• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HENKaku -- Vita Homebrew and more comes to all 3.60 Vitas

Give it a few weeks/months for devs to actually do something with it.

That said, it sounds like the Vita may actually be worse than the NN3DS when it comes to brute CPU power...
This isn't the case. Each CPU can be clocked up to 2ghz but CPU overclocking hasn't been implemented in the dev SDK. Once we have more hardware access you'll see much more accurate emulators.

whitehawk

Banned
Give it a few weeks/months for devs to actually do something with it.

That said, it sounds like the Vita may actually be worse than the NN3DS when it comes to brute CPU power...
Meh, not a big deal. The Vita is more than powerful enough to emulate the main popular emu systems. 5" 540p OLED > small 240p bad LCD anyway

This isn't the case. Each CPU can be clocked up to 2ghz but CPU overclocking hasn't been implemented in the dev SDK. Once we have more hardware access you'll see much more accurate emulators.

Isn't it underclocked as hard as it is because of battery life and heating issues? It might be best to hope that developers target the lower clock speeds for optimization.

Either way Vita vs N3DS CPU comparisons are pointless at the moment. We don't have any hard data on how they perform stacked against one another.

KAL2006

Banned
Between n3DS and Vita I'm going to assume n3DS is the better emulation machine simply because the lower resolution screen is closer to the resolution of the retro console games. Then the fact that you have DS and 3DS games too. I guess Vita has PSP and Vita games on top but I'd take DS and 3DS library anyway. Any idea if PS1 games work on 3DS.

Tain

Between n3DS and Vita I'm going to assume n3DS is the better emulation machine simply because the lower resolution screen is closer to the resolution of the retro console games. Then the fact that you have DS and 3DS games too. I guess Vita has PSP and Vita games on top but I'd take DS and 3DS library anyway. Any idea if PS1 games work on 3DS.

I'd say oled makes up for the higher resolution (and thus smaller 1:1 mapped image), and for consoles with non-square pixels the higher resolution will be better for upscaling.

Chesskid1

Banned
i did a side-by-side with link to the past with my 3ds and vita. they both look damn good. i kind of like the dpad for vita more so i'll play it there.

not sure if i'll use 2x scaling or scale to the vita screen height though.

i retired my oled a while ago for the vita slim, and man i forgot how over saturated the colors are. will take some getting used to again.

Tunin

Until the filters start to kick in.
Then we're up to something amazing:
post-218-0-80135500-1392870687.png

Guess Who

Banned

If it's running at 444MHz tops right now - and even that requires disabling WiFi to save power - then there's almost no way you could get the thing to run stably at 2GHz.

If it's running at 444MHz tops right now - and even that requires disabling WiFi to save power - then there's almost no way you could get the thing to run stably at 2GHz.
Maybe not that fast, but even at 444mhz that's still on the surface better than the New 3DS total clock of around 800mhz vs a total clock of 1.7ghz for the Vita at stock speeds.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Add one more to the list! VitaQuake (Quake port for Vita) has been uploaded with a .vpk version!

Features:
- Native 960x544 resolution!
- Sound support
- Support for shareware and full versions of Quake
- Native support to both PSVITA analogs
- Variable camera sensibility for right analog in option menu
- Touch and retrotouch support
- Danzeff keyboard for Quake console usage
- Different hidden settings unlocked in Options Menu (FOV, Depth of Field, Crosshair...)

Source.
Video of VitaQuake in action.

muteki

Installed first try, gave the snes and genesis emulators on the showcase a shot.

snes sound is choppy and graphics are less than smooth. genesis games wouldn't load.

However the install/file transer is way better than how hackey it was last I tried, and no games/saves to worry about is a major plus.

Sophia

I tried it with Wonder Boy III and it runs perfectly well, from what I can tell, although the sound becomes a bit garbled from time to time. Nothing deal breaking, though.

I have the sound garbling issue too, but other than that it's WAY BETTER.

SiDCrAzY

Installed first try, gave the snes and genesis emulators on the showcase a shot.

snes sound is choppy and graphics are less than smooth. genesis games wouldn't load.

However the install/file transer is way better than how hackey it was last I tried, and no games/saves to worry about is a major plus.

Genesis games have to be in zip form

If we're counting single core speed, the New 3DS is still slower... the 800mhz metric is also coming from the fact it's quad core.

No, I'm pretty sure that's not the case. Each core in New 3DS is clocked to 804 MHz, but keep in mind that the 3DS uses the ARM11 architecture while the Vita uses the Cortex A9 which is much more modern - we're talking superscalar and out-of-order execution.

Talking in terms of Dhrystone benchmarks, ARM11 is 1.25 DMIPS/MHz while Cortex-A9 is 2.50 DMIPS/MHz - in other words, the Vita's processor can do approximately twice as much per cycle as the N3DS's. They're pretty much on an even playing field at that point, with Vita perhaps coming out a little stronger.

score01

Just give it a shot on my oled vita. Worked first time. Powered off and on again and it seemed to get stuck in some sort of loop trying to start henkaku. Stopped page loading and went to url again and it loaded fine.

Now to test out some of the emu goodness...

Guess Who

Banned
The RetroArch Genesis core is definitely a big step up from the Genesis emulator HENKaku's hosting. Performance seems perfect, and it will fill the Vita's screen height with bilinear filtering instead of nearest neighbor. Not as sharp, obviously, but you don't get the weird scaling artifacts HENKaku's had. It does have a few issues, though:

1) Savestates don't seem to work.
2) Neither does SRAM saving. (Tested with Sonic 3.)
3) Occasionally, the sound gets a little garbled for a few seconds. Still much better than the other emulator, though.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
As an owner of a 3ds on firmware 11, having my vita be a little portable emulator is a pretty cool consolation prize. Aside from the no saving, Retroarch's emulation for Genesis is on point, and the snes emulator isn't too bad either. All I want now is an improved GBA and GB emulator for tetris and Warioware and I'll be all set.

theultimo

I think people are glossing over the fact this is arm v7 instead of arm 11. It is a huge difference and arm7 is supported in many many other mobile devices, and arm11 only really exists on raspberry pi today. The GPU is also a major powervr chipset.

Is it worth scoring a Playstation TV for ~$25 off Ebay now that this hack is available? I'm seriously considering it, but I'm still on the fence. (I own a Vita, but I'd like to use the PSTV to both play the games on my TV (obviously) and record the footage with my Elgato.)

Sophia

Does retroarch have a psp emulator? I really want to play crisis core on vita

Does this let me play Crash and Spyro on my Vita? :|

Presumably, what Elyos is asking for is an option is a means of loading PSP games via this hack. RetroArch has a PSP core, but obviously the Vita won't run it ever.

At the current moment, there is no loader for PSP or PS1 games on this hack. As the FAQ in the OP notes, it should come eventually tho.

Top Bottom