• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HENKaku -- Vita Homebrew and more comes to all 3.60 Vitas

vicnorris

Banned
I'm not able to play vitadoom or vitaquake, everytime I press a button on any of this games it simply crashes. Quake only leaves a black screen until I press a button and crashes and doom when I try to press to choose a WAD.

Anyone with this problems?

Chesskid1

Banned
The latter, your physical and digital games will still work. They should word it as "Can I play Vita backups with this?"

alright, i changed it, hope it's a bit less confusing now.

if you guys didn't see it already, eurogamer covered henkaku and the reddit thread about it had like 4,000++ upvotes.

and with yifanlu stating there were 10,000+ unique users of henkaku in 12 hours, before the more mainstream sites started covering it, seems we'll have a pretty big userbase to encourage homebrew devs to work on the vita. really jealous of the 3ds scene after taking a look at it.

let's hope we'll have a full week before sony patches!

Anyone expecting PPSSPP on Vita's severely overestimating the Vita's raw power and the usefulness of it when we already have an extremely accurate PSP emulator built into the Vita, and severely underestimating the amount of time it would take to build something that wouldn't be very useful.

The most you would get out of it is the ability to run games in a buggier way with maybe slightly higher IQ (and questionable performance). It would be better to hope for a unique solution or the ability to install PSP games directly as bubbles.

L.O.R.D

Anyone expecting PPSSPP on Vita's severely overestimating the Vita's raw power and the usefulness of it when we already have an extremely accurate PSP emulator built into the Vita, and severely underestimating the amount of time it would take to build something that wouldn't be very useful.

The most you would get out of it is the ability to run games in a buggier way with maybe slightly higher IQ (and questionable performance). It would be better to hope for a unique solution or the ability to install PSP games directly as bubbles.

even PPSSPP on android can't emulate every PSP games correctly,look at god of war games,they run like shit.

You know what would be really cool? A save games manager that let's you manage your saves without the burden of the game.

or using EU save on NA version of the same game,i have toukiden kiwami EU version because it was really cheap but it's EU version,also i have it too as Digital version on my NA account.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Re-encrypted save for Vita games data coming soon?

If this means being able to use other peoples saves and/or not having to backup with 2-3 gig game files: Good lord, yes.

Can someone help me with loading roms onto retroarch? I don't know where to place my unzipped roms nor do I know how to even run them.

Place the roms in data/retroarch. To run them, when you load up Retroarch select "Load Content," then navigate to the data/retroarch directory and select a rom.

I never understood why people were deadset on trying to hack it , just to play psp games on the vita, emulator's upscale & have better performance,with better screens on pc+mobile. I get portability/an all in one package, but mobiles&tablets have mounts for controllers etc. with better graphics+fps+translation patches etc.... It just wasn't worth the trade off of no ps store+ps plus benefits.

Also, what's the best website to follow just for vita homebrew?

zewone

I never understood why people were deadset on trying to hack it , just to play psp games on the vita, emulator's upscale & have better performance,with better screens on pc+mobile. I get portability/an all in one package, but mobiles&tablets have mounts for controllers etc. with better graphics+fps+translation patches etc.... It just wasn't worth the trade off of no ps store+ps plus benefits.

Also, what's the best website to follow just for vita hacks/ emulators etc?

wololo.net

Shai-Tan

Banned

Also, what's the best website to follow just for vita homebrew?

http://wololo.net/ probably? there used to be quite a few psp hacks sites with homebrew downloads but I don't know if there's a Vita equivalent yet

Running 4:3 games (ie PS1) on the OLED screen also leads to faster burn in. I have a dedicated PSP Go for PS1/PSP games.
As someone who prefers running all emulators at 4:3, is there really a high risk of burn-in/damaging the screen? And approximately how long does it normally take before (noticeable) damage is done? Are we talking years, months, or days?

muteki

go use the retroarch one then. create a retroarch folder drop taht in data, then run retroarch.

files must be unzipped

Yeah this works pretty great. I still get sound issues on sonic 3 special stages but the main level music is fine. Turned that bilinear filter off real quick though.

Yeah that's what I'm using , but for the past year they've had more clickbaity articles(some with very poor writing) so I wanted to avoid them if possible.

They're all like that unfortunately. Lot of clickbait, lot of badly written articles, lot of pointless scene drama being stirred up, etc. It's not as bad as the PS3 hacking sites were at least (which is a really low goddamn bar).

I just picked up a cheap Vita and it is on FW 3.15. Is there any advantage to leaving it on the older firmware for homebrew? Or should I just use the new Henkaku exploit on 3.60?

gbland

There are two separate whitelist files. One for Vita games and one for PS1/PSP titles such as Dracula X.

Vita: list_launch_vita.dat
PS1/PSP: list_launch_emu.dat

You will need to obtain hacked versions of both of those files and replace the ones on your Vita. These are located in the ur0:game\launch\ folder. Once done, this will allow you to play almost any game you have installed on the Vita's memory card. It's important to note that restarting the Vita/PSTV or doing updates, connecting to the store, etc. might overwrite these files with Sony's versions, so be prepared to re-apply the hack if needed.

do you know a link to list_launch_emu.dat?

bwahhhhh

If this means being able to use other peoples saves and/or not having to backup with 2-3 gig game files: Good lord, yes.

i just don't understand why game saves can't remain when you delete the game. i didn't even know the game saves got deleted until i had already deleted my 5th or 6th game to save room on the memory card.

that's pretty much my only complaint about the vita

Elven_Star

As someone who prefers running all emulators at 4:3, is there really a high risk of burn-in/damaging the screen? And approximately how long does it normally take before (noticeable) damage is done? Are we talking years, months, or days?
I would like to know as well.

ss_lemonade

Just keep rebooting until it works, you can try to rebuild data base, but I did that and nothing, and had to reboot like 10 times until it worked.
I didn't have to reboot. Just kept hitting ok on the error prompt and ok on the welcome alert prompt since the process seems to repeat itself over and over until it worked.

do you know a link to list_launch_emu.dat?

I just used the same files from the old email hack.

Go to this site: http://wololo.net/talk/pstv_whitelist/

Enter an email address you can check, and you'll receive 3 emails. They may end up in your spam/junk folder as they did for me. These are meant for the old email based whitelist hack so ignore the instructions. Then check your email for the 3 messages with the following subjects:

Activate PSTV Writer - You can safely delete this, it doesn't work anymore.
ur0:game/launch/list_launch_vita.dat‏ - This email has an attachment named #0. Save it and rename it to list_launch_vita.dat
ur0:game/launch/list_launch_emu.dat‏ - It too will have an attachment named #0. Save it and rename it to list_launch_emu.dat‏

You now have the files you need. You can use these to replace the ones on the PSTV in the ur0:game/launch folder. Once done, this should remove the whitelist block on Vita, PSP, and PS1 games. I've read that some Vita games have additional checks, but I haven't run into one of those yet.

test_account

XP-39C²
That did seem really fake though that one guy on Twitter who claimed he got banned. I mean, he said that he reinstalled official firmware (is this even possible concidering that Henkaku isnt even custom firmware?), and then formated it five times. Why format five times? And if he got banned, his account would be banned, so formating the system wouldnt do anything. I guess there would be a small chance that he could have created a new PSN account, but yeah, seems really fake.

Aters

Just switched to my NA account to buy some indies. Pls someone do something. This whole account switching thing is unbearable. Or hell, why don't Sony just release all the indies on Hong Kong server?

Is anyone else getting audio issues with the Realboy GB/GBC emulator? I tried Pokemon Red and Super Mario Land and their audio was noticeably off-key.

Is there perhaps a better GB/GBC emulator available?

Dumb this down a bit.

You FTP into the system, copy those four files. Delete the one file. Reformat the system, login with the other account, put the other files back and you should able to use both's download lists/saves/etc.?

Pretty much. Copy the files, log in with a diff account, copy those files.

You now have those 2 sets of files to swap between so you can use multiple accounts without losing your data (after the first SYSTEM, not memcard format to get acc.dat).

Also, a redditor is working on a VPK that'll do it automatically.

TheSeks

Pretty much. Copy the files, log in with a diff account, copy those files.

You now have those 2 sets of files to swap between so you can use multiple accounts without losing your data (after the first format to get acc.dat).

So, just so I'm understanding: This doesn't allow you to access the games on the different account WITHOUT replacing the initial files back to the account that owns it?

So, just so I'm understanding: This doesn't allow you to access the games on the different account WITHOUT replacing the initial files back to the account that owns it?

Basically, if you want to play the other acc games, you just have to swap the acc.dat via FTP and reset the Vita. It'll be easier if and when that guy finishes his assumedly more user-friendly app

.J.

Banned
Every time I try to install, I get browser error C2-12828-1. Any advice? I've tried powering down the device a few times. Not sure where to go from here.

the only person who claims to be banned also has zero picture proof and claims he removed his console ban by reinstalling firmware.

lol

I know, but for people like me who had their PSN account with like 100s of PS Plus games on it as well as many paid games, I'd recommend making a dupe account and perhaps switching back if Sony shows no interest in banning people.

Catvoca

Banned
I know, but for people like me who had their PSN account with like 100s of PS Plus games on it as well as many paid games, I'd recommend making a dupe account and perhaps switching back if Sony shows no interest in banning people.

You could just play offline whenever you're messing with homebrew stuff. As soon as they release an update to block this hack you'll have to play offline anyway.

Hikami

the only person who claims to be banned also has zero picture proof and claims he removed his console ban by reinstalling firmware.

lol
not anymore
bwipI79.png

TheSeks

Or you could just play offline with the main account forever. There's nothing stopping you from doing that.

Basically, if you want to play the other acc games, you just have to swap the acc.dat via FTP and reset the Vita. It'll be easier if and when that guy finishes his assumedly more user-friendly app

Then it's pointless to me. If I can't use DoAXBV3 on my US account by spoofing it over onto the card with a Japanese account, there's no point for me.

data

So are they looking into a way for henkaku to be able to stay on the vita regardless of reboot, or is that impossible?

Top Bottom