• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HENKaku -- Vita Homebrew and more comes to all 3.60 Vitas

dose

Until the filters start to kick in.
Then we're up to something amazing:
post-218-0-80135500-1392870687.png
That... looks terrible. Look at the angled lines on the arcade machine for example. Pixels ftw.

Sophia

So this lets you access the European PSN store? Or did that poster not realize the Crash/Spyro series isn't on US PSN?

I think, given the poster put it in spoiler tags, that they were probably being sarcastic. At least, that's my assumption until they say otherwise.

And you can access the European PSN Store by simply resetting the Vita and logging in with a European PSN. No need for this hack.

Weird. It won't let me play Wipeout or Dracula X Chronicles.

There are two separate whitelist files. One for Vita games and one for PS1/PSP titles such as Dracula X.

Vita: list_launch_vita.dat
PS1/PSP: list_launch_emu.dat

You will need to obtain hacked versions of both of those files and replace the ones on your Vita. These are located in the ur0:game\launch\ folder. Once done, this will allow you to play almost any game you have installed on the Vita's memory card. It's important to note that restarting the Vita/PSTV or doing updates, connecting to the store, etc. might overwrite these files with Sony's versions, so be prepared to re-apply the hack if needed.

Shaneus

Weird. It won't let me play Wipeout or Dracula X Chronicles.
If you go to the .vpk mirror site (don't ask me the address, I don't have it handy) the last entry has a whitelist enabler app. I executed it when it was at 1.0 (it's now 1.1, not sure what the difference is) and it worked fine, can now play Wipeout 2048.

Hmm... looks like I may pick up a second Vita. I know that Sony likely won't do anything to us, but I have a LOT of Vita software associated with my account, so I'll pick up a second one cheap and just use it for homebrew/emulation. I don't want to take the chance.

go use the retroarch one then. create a retroarch folder drop taht in data, then run retroarch.

files must be unzipped

Could you (or someone else) perhaps provide more thorough instructions for those of us who don't already know exactly what to do?

When you say "create a retroarch folder," are you saying create a BLANK folder named Retroarch, or create a folder named Retroarch and put some files in it (if so, what files)? And when you say "run retroarch," what exactly are you telling us to run? The folder we dropped in data (assuming it isn't blank), or some other unmentioned file? Finally, when you say "files must be zipped," WHAT files must be zipped? You lost me there.

Some clear instructions would be greatly appreciated.

Whelp, if nothing else this got me to turn on both my Vitas and my VitaTV to update to 3.60... I'm not in the mood to play with un-optimized EMUs right now, and I'll be away from all this stuff for a few weeks, but I look forward to looking at what's available come September... I've often thought that the Vita would make the ultimate portable emulation machine afaic; let me run anything I want from my 400+ PSP UMD collection, as well as PSX and all 16-bit and 8-bit stuff, and I'll never need another handheld console... (which is just as well, really, unless the NX turns out to be much more than I expect it will be)...

iosefe

Could you (or someone else) perhaps provide more thorough instructions for those of us who don't already know exactly what to do?

When you say "create a retroarch folder," are you saying create a BLANK folder named Retroarch, or create a folder named Retroarch and put some files in it (if so, what files)? And when you say "run retroarch," what exactly are you telling us to run? The folder we dropped in data (assuming it isn't blank), or some other unmentioned file? Finally, when you say "files must be zipped," WHAT files must be zipped? You lost me there.

Some clear instructions would be greatly appreciated.

Gladly!

Step 1: Open MoleculeShell and turn on ftp mode by pressing select

Step 2: if you don't have Filezilla installed, don't worry, open WIndows explorer and in the bar type in "ftp://....." where '.....' is the ip address that MoleculeShell shows on the screen. it will connect to your vita. open folder/ux0

Step 3: Create a folder on your desktop titled retroarch

Step 4: drag the retroarch vpk file to ux0, and the retroarch folder you just created into data, so it will be root://ux0/data/retroarch.
Step 4a: copy over any rom files into the retroarch folder so you can have it all in one place. unlike the other emulator which requires the roms be in a zip file, retroarch requires the opposite, a lose file, in this case, a *.md file, to be usable

Step 5: close the connection and install retroarch by selecting it with Cross. when that is done feel free to delete the file.

Step 6: Run Retroarch. Circle is confirm, Cross is cancel. when in-game, the default to bring up the menu while ingame is L+R+Select+Start

Gladly!

Step 1: Open MoleculeShell and turn on ftp mode by pressing select

Step 2: if you don't have Filezilla installed, don't worry, open WIndows explorer and in the bar type in "ftp://....." where '.....' is the ip address that MoleculeShell shows on the screen. it will connect to your vita. open folder/ux0

Step 3: Create a folder on your desktop titled retroarch

Step 4: drag the retroarch vpk file to ux0, and the retroarch folder you just created into data, so it will be root://ux0/data/retroarch.
Step 4a: copy over any rom files into the retroarch folder so you can have it all in one place. unlike the other emulator which requires the roms be in a zip file, retroarch requires the opposite, a lose file, in this case, a *.md file, to be usable

Step 5: close the connection and install retroarch by selecting it with Cross. when that is done feel free to delete the file.

Step 6: Run Retroarch. Circle is confirm, Cross is cancel. when in-game, the default to bring up the menu while ingame is L+R+Select+Start

Thanks!

And wow, the Retroarch emulator is definitely a HUGE improvement over the crappy GenesisPlus one on the HENkaku page. The audio issues that plague GenesisPlus are totally gone with Retro. I sure hope we get a SNES emulator of this quality soon!

whitehawk

Banned
While retroarch does have a core for ppsspp, if I were to guess, the vita isn't even close to being strong enough to run it.
Not sure why you say that. My Nexus 4 (2012) could run PPSSPP well, Ridge Racer ran at almost full speed. I'm sure Vita could emulate PSP, at least certain games.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure why you say that. My Nexus 4 (2012) could run PPSSPP well, Ridge Racer ran at almost full speed. I'm sure Vita could emulate PSP, at least certain games.

It shouldn't even be necessary, the Vita's built in PSP emulator just needs to be accessed and that would support basically everything.

Chucker

There are two separate whitelist files. One for Vita games and one for PS1/PSP titles such as Dracula X.

Vita: list_launch_vita.dat
PS1/PSP: list_launch_emu.dat

You will need to obtain hacked versions of both of those files and replace the ones on your Vita. These are located in the ur0:gamelaunch folder. Once done, this will allow you to play almost any game you have installed on the Vita's memory card. It's important to note that restarting the Vita/PSTV or doing updates, connecting to the store, etc. might overwrite these files with Sony's versions, so be prepared to re-apply the hack if needed.
This makes sense. I was able to get Wipeout running, but not DracX. Now I know what to look for.

ss_lemonade

I'm pretty sure your nexus 4 is much more faster than the vita.

The vita does have that official psp emulator though that works well. Just have to wait for it to work with henkaku

Everybody asking for PSP/PS1 stuff - it's dependent on someone releasing a PSP mode exploit for 3.60. Once that happens, PSP games will be playable and I "think" The Flow's PS1 exploit still technically would work on 3.60 but I could be wrong about that.

OmegaFax

So this lets you access the European PSN store? Or did that poster not realize the Crash/Spyro series isn't on US PSN?

I don't think the poster knew they aren't compatible with the Vita in the US.

It was for like a week last year. Still have them on my Vita along with Spyro.

Before I had a Vita unfortunately. Otherwise I'd have the Crash series, Spyro series, and Star Wars Dark Forces on my Vita.

n0razi

Should I update my Vita to 3.60 now or am I good if I dont feel like messing with any of this till more stuff comes out?

Owari

Is there anything the Vita can do that my PSPgo can't also do? Deciding on if I should sell the Vita or keep it around and hack it.

c0de

Not in any teardown or motherboard pic I've seen. Pretty sure PSP support on the Vita works through emulation.

This is my guess, too.
If the system is now completely open, it should be possible to get a grip on the emulators (psp and psx) and, perhaps even more important, to have professional emulators for these systems on arm.

Lucifon

At this point Sony should just turn a blind eye to this. Software and hardware sales for the Vita must be near to dead, it could breathe some well needed life into the machine. I know they won't because they removed the whitelist glitch before... But they should.

Joey Ravn

Banned

I didn't know they weren't on the US store, my bad. But still, that was mostly a joke. The OP clearly states that you can't run PSX or PSP games with this yet. So whether it's Crash, Spyro or whatever other game is besides the point.

Edit: A few homebrew games have been ported to HENkaku now:

Conway's Game of Life
RejuveSnake
Flood it!

VPK Mirror

I just realized that "VPK" is a play on "APK", the Android format for package files!

Joey Ravn

Banned
I'm guessing this can be patched, not an inherent flaw?

It'll be most definitely patched with the next firmware update. That being said, since the source code isn't public and nobody really knows how this works, it could take Sony some time to come up with a patch that "fixes" the exploit.

I have to assume that the source code will be made public once Sony releases a new firmware to patch the exploit.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Using this on a PSTV sounds like a bad idea, since the thing seems to turn itself off all the time for me. I've got the whitelist going from the last hack, but I wouldn't mind updating to be able to dl some more of my games, though.

Putosaure

It'll be most definitely patched with the next firmware update. That being said, since the source code isn't public and nobody really knows how this works, it could take Sony some time to come up with a patch that "fixes" the exploit.

I have to assume that the source code will be made public once Sony releases a new firmware to patch the exploit.

They'll just remove the web browser. They love removing things from our Vitas.

Top Bottom