• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HENKaku -- Vita Homebrew and more comes to all 3.60 Vitas

So now that RPG Makers games can be put on Vita whats the limit?

Are we going to see Gamemaker and Unity grassroots games pop up as compatible?

whitehawk

Banned
Guys would Vita be better machine for emulators than GPD XD? I already have Vita and love it. Have invested a lot in it and would not like to be closed from the PSN store. I'm only in for the emulators no backups. Right now Vita is about 190€ where I live and if it was more powerful than the GPD I would think about buying it.
GPD XD is still better I imagine. It's more powerful, and it runs on android which has a lot of emulator support and years of development.

Did anyone try Terranigma on the RetroArch SNES emulator? I always wanted to play that game on a handheld, but it ran horribly on PSP (and the first Vita SNES emulator, but what game didn't ran horribly on that one).

It's actually the only ROM that I did try, and it ran smooth for me. It's the PAL rom, so it was between 49.5 and 50.9 FPS at all times. Didn't dip either, but that's just the first 30 minutes I was testing.

On the HENkaku sponsored Snex9x one, it ran at like 20fps, so 50 seems good to me.

Basically play around with it per-game and find what looks best to you. Most common arguments for 4:3 are seen with circles in Super Metroid and Chrono Trigger. If you Google (or just GAF search) anything about SNES aspect ratios you can find decades of nerds fighting over which is best.

Oh alright. Thanks for letting me know to fiddle with it.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Do we know if vita's low clocks are the result of a software lock? If so it could be removed or just slightly upped right?

So, I have been playing some games in Retroarch SNES and I can give some feedback:

- DKC works flawlessly. Haven't tested the Collect the letters (RARE, NINTENDO) minigame, this in particular had a lot of issues in other emulators.
- Yoshi's Island works. It goes from 45 to 60fps in some stages. I wouldn't recommend it to be played, it detracts a lot from the overall experience.
- Top Gear 2 works perfect with minor audio issues.
- MMX3 works perfect in the first stage with minor audio issues.
- Castlevania IV works perfect.
- Dracula X works perfect with minor audio issues.
- Metal Warriors works perfect.
- Lufia 2 works perfect with minor audio issues.

shmoglish

Anyone else got problems with reinstalling the hack? My vita crashed today and everytime I try to install it my Browser crashes

I've had a problem with Chrono Trigger (don't know if this affects any other games) where after my initial Save game, the game no longer loads my latest save files (almost like it doesn't have write permission or something), even if I make a save in all 3 save slots. Using CatSFC Aug 3rd nightly build.

I've had a problem with Chrono Trigger (don't know if this affects any other games) where after my initial Save game, the game no longer loads my latest save files (almost like it doesn't have write permission or something), even if I make a save in all 3 save slots. Using CatSFC Aug 3rd nightly build.

This was fixed in the august 5th nightly

Glix

Wooooo got patched mother 3 and vitaquake on here just to make sure I can navigate this stuff.

Now we wait.

I'm really hoping this exploit leads to full cfw down the line. Vita is such a great little device I'd love to have it open like that.

Chesskid1

Banned
i know nothing about these RPGmaker games but i googled a few people kept mentioning

IB, Yume Nikki, Space Funeral

damn they look really awesome. kind of surprised i've never heard of them. looks perfect for vita.

Chesskid1

Banned
Why is the newest mGBA build on its website in .velf format? How (can?) I use that with HENkaku?

you want the development/nightly build. i made a note of it in the OP that i guess you glanced over it. i'm sure when mgba releases the next numbered "stable" version it will be in .vpk as everything is transitioning to henkaku.

Just tried this out:
gy4esMv.jpg

OFF can run, but apparently there are some sound and animation errors, hopefully that'll get ironed out soon

What's the best SNES emulator on Retroarch for Vita right now?

CatSFC

Joey Ravn

Banned
Yifan Lu offers King of the Hill Challenge, begins publishing the source code for HENkaku with the offline installer files and promises to publish it all... if someone wins.

Basically, he's setting up a challenge: Team Molecule are the "Kings of the Hill", since they created HENkaku. Now, everyone who is up to the challenge can take a stab at reverse engineering HENkaku and Yifan published the offline installer files to make it easier to test. If someone manages to explain how the different parts of HENkaku work, Yifan will release the source code by stages. When everything is explain, the whole source code will be available for everyone to use, alongside a few "surprises".

mGBA is remarkable already, hope it improves in leaps and bounds- playing GBA on Vita is a huge dream of mine.

It also needs a way to change the key bindings for the menu and screen mode toggles, since I can't currently use triangle and square since they're always occupied by these functions.

mGBA is remarkable already, hope it improves in leaps and bounds- playing GBA on Vita is a huge dream of mine.

It also needs a way to change the key bindings for the menu and screen mode toggles, since I can't currently use triangle and square since they're always occupied by these functions.

what build are you using?

DrkSage

Im Playing metroid fusion in the lates mGBA and it keeps freezing on my way to the first boss (after the first door that you have to blow up with rockets) :(

Vashetti

Banned
Gave Pokémon Red a quick spin on mGBA, looks so crisp on the OLED screen!

Obviously the sound needs fixing, but otherwise it's awesome. A framerate lock could help, no need for it to be going over 60.

Anyway to improve some of the slowdown with games like Super Mario RPG? Or will we just have to wait for updates to the emulators in the future? I'm running CATSFC.

bigkurz

Banned
Does the nightly only include the cores that have been altered? I noticed that the past 2 nightlys dont have a catsfc listed, so i went back to 8/4 to get it.

am i missing something?

Trogdor1123

Are we approaching a point where the mid is permanent? That's when I plan to jump in with my pstv. Also, should a person update it now and wait or wait to see if an older official firmware has an advantage

Chesskid1

Banned
Does the nightly only include the cores that have been altered? I noticed that the past 2 nightlys dont have a catsfc listed, so i went back to 8/4 to get it.

am i missing something?

buildbot tends to be buggy sometimes, leaves out emulators, sometimes even uploads complete blanks. just wait for the next build.

the joys of being an early adopter for homebrew :p

The main thing I want to be able to do with this thing, is play the English Patched Version of Policenauts on my Vita. I have it working on my PSP, and it flat out will not work on my 3.52 Vita. It is supposed to work on it, but me and a few people on Wololo and GBATemp could never get it to work (on any of our Vitas) using every little trick in the book.

Hopefully, at some point, someone can get it to work properly.

i just bought a white vita 1000, and oh my god this thing is gorgeous.

i can't find a way to get the core updater to work on any of the retro arch emulators, could someone help me out on this?

So does saving work on the GBA emulator on offer now? I wanna play some Pokemon ROM hacks on the go and preferably not have to rely on putting the system in sleep mode all the time.

Quick question will Netflix still work with this installed?

Yes. This hack will not prevent any applications from working. The only time that MIGHT happen is if a firmware update gets pushed out, HENKaku isn't updated for it, and your application requires said update - in which case you will have to make a choice between Netflix/other online app and HENKaku.

i just bought a white vita 1000, and oh my god this thing is gorgeous.

i can't find a way to get the core updater to work on any of the retro arch emulators, could someone help me out on this?

I don't think it works unfortunately due to the Vita's infrastructure. You're going to have to uninstall and reinstall whenever you want to update to the newest nightlies as far as I know.

So does saving work on the GBA emulator on offer now? I wanna play some Pokemon ROM hacks on the go and preferably not have to rely on putting the system in sleep mode all the time.

Seems to be working for me at least.

On the topic of mGBA, is there a way to make it remember a directory to default to? Kind of annoying to have it just go right to ux.

Yes. This hack will not prevent any applications from working. The only time that MIGHT happen is if a firmware update gets pushed out, HENKaku isn't updated for it, and your application requires said update - in which case you will have to make a choice between Netflix/other online app and HENKaku.

I don't think it works unfortunately due to the Vita's infrastructure. You're going to have to uninstall and reinstall whenever you want to update to the newest nightlies as far as I know.

Seems to be working for me at least.

On the topic of mGBA, is there a way to make it remember a directory to default to? Kind of annoying to have it just go right to ux.

thanks for the response, im sorry i phrased that wrong, what exactly do i do with the option "load core" ? i can't find what file im supposed to put that with.

Top Bottom