• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HENKaku -- Vita Homebrew and more comes to all 3.60 Vitas

We seriously need to make a list of the best emulators (or versions of emulators) for each system. This is just getting to be really confusing.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/retroarch-libretro-thread-ps-vita-edition-nightlies-included.437034/

Current Performance: Thanks for the suggestion, Chesskid1!
Reminder, these are estimations and are not to judge overall performance of each core or RetroArch as a whole. Notable exceptions to each rule will be noted.

Snes9x 2005 (Regular): ~55fps - 60fps on standard games, ~50fps on SuperFX-powered games.
Snes9x 2005+ (Improved Sound?): To be tested, assumed ~52fps - 60fps on standard games. Frame drops compared to Regular '05 Snes9x are noticeable, however.
Final Burn Alpha: Nonfunctioning (Application Crash on launch).
CPS1: 60fps, consistent.
CPS2: 60fps, consistent.
Neo-Geo: 60fps, consistent.
NES (FCEUmm): 60fps, consistent (This IS the NES, after all... (^^;; )
Game Boy (Gambatte): ~60fps (Test for consistency).
Game Boy Advance (VBA): ~30fps, generally half-speed.
Genesis (Gen+GX): ~60fps (Test for consistency).
Atari Lynx (Handy): To be tested.
NGP(C) (MednaFen): ~60fps (Test for consistency).
WonderSwan (Mednafen): 60fps on WonderSwan, ~45fps to 60fps for WonderSwan Color.
NXengine: Fullspeed. Due to inventory bugs, however, may be considered unplayable.
Vectrex: ~50fps, however this is fullspeed for Vectrex.
Doom (PrBoom): Nonfunctioning.
Snes9x Next 2010: ~40fps on standard games, requires further testing; recommend using CatSFC instead.
PicoDrive: Nonfunctioning, recommend using Genesis Plus GX instead.
QuickNES: Fullspeed, but inaccurate, recommend using FCEUmm instead for accuracy and performance.
Virtual Boy (MednaFen): ~25fps, half of screen unviewable. Unplayable.
2048: ???
DOSbox: Nonfunctioning.
Atari 2600: Incorrect picture, unplayable.
PC Engine (MednaFen): ~60fps on HuCard games, CD games to be tested.
PlayStation: To be tested.

Current Bugs:

Global
Save/Load-States are nonfunctioning (Files are created but are unable to be loaded). Fixed in August 5th Nightly.
Onscreen FPS is delayed on many occasions (Compared to RetroArch 3DS).
Rewind/Fast Forward currently cause sporadic performance on Genesis Plus GX (Requires further investigation).
Individual Core installation may overwrite another random installed Libretro Core. Be weary of this, and if this occurs, roll back to a slightly older nightly to fix this.
In-game saving is sporadic across all cores that support it. Neo-Geo doesn't recognize any virtual Memory Card. Famicom Disk System loses saves(?). Thanks for the report, guys!

Core Specific
fb_alpha_neo_libretro: High megabit ROMsets crash the program. (Seemingly) Fixed in August 5th Nightly.
gambatte_libretro: .gb/.gbc ROMsets unable to load (Kickback to Quick Menu). Fixed in August 5th Nightly.
mednafen_ngp_libretro: Cannot load more than one ROM in a single session (Application Crash).
mednafen_vb_libretro: Half of the screen is rendered in spite of picture format.
picodrive_libretro: Cannot load ROMsets (Application Crash).
nxengine_libretro: Imported savegames from another Libretro port crashes on inventory load (Application Crash).
nxengine_libretro: Collecting Health Expansions halts the game (Application Crash).
2048_libretro: Unable to load core (Kickback to Quick Menu).
snes9x_next_libretro: Cannot load ROMsets (Application Crash). Fixed in August 5th Nightly.
genesis_plus_gx_libretro: SegaCD Redbook audio hangs when suspending/pausing the application. Attempting to load game assets in the same game afterwards soft-locks the game (Virtual CD is ejected?) Thanks for the report, wolven9!
prboom_libretro: Cannot load WAD file (Kickback to Quick Menu) (Application crashes). Thanks for the report, snk4ever!
vecx_libretro: Sound pitch is an octave lower than original hardware.
dosbox_libretro: Unable to load DOS or programs.
stella_libretro: Half of the screen is rendered in spite of picture format, colors inverted(?).
fbalpha2012_libretro: Application crash on startup. Completely nonfunctioning.
nestopia_libretro: Cannot load ROMsets (Application Crash).
pcsx_rearmed_libretro: Cannot load ISOs (Application Crash).
tgbfual_libretro: Cannot load ROMsets (Application Crash).

Chesskid1

Banned
here's the libretro showcase video i mentioned in my last post

RetroArch PS Vita 6-8-2016 - Neo Geo, Game Boy, PC Engine (and CD)!: http://youtu.be/AN12hv4Qt5k

spotted in the comments:
16FH8NR.png

Joey Ravn

Banned
RealLibretro said:
Yeah I removed it as quicklly as I found out it didn't work yet.
We are literally just hitting the compile button on stuff, seeing what builds, then grabbing the zip from the buildbot and testing if it works. In most cases that is just enough to get it up and running ,haha.
I guess PCSX ReARMed is not one of those cores :p
The reason stuff mostly works as-is without much code edits is mainly because most of the optimization and tinkering for ARM was already done ways back for Android and iOS, so all of that carries over very easily to Vita now.

It seems it was removed after all? Well, it's confirmation that the PCSX-R core doesn't work at the moment. Hopefully it's added back sooner rather than later ;)

Tigerfog

Mario RPG (English version) crashes when levelling up while playing with "Snes9x 2005"... guess I'll have to wait for a later revision, but the game on that OLED sure is pretty. :)

tetsujin007

Neo Member
can anyone get lynx emu running [handyvita] - tried all sorts of methods and it just ends up with error message each time, all other emu's i tried working thus far 'cept this one [stumped]....

so after alot of troubleshooting, my core updater isnt working for any of the retroarch emulators..

i tried putting the vpk file directly into my core folder, and nothing.

Damn ps4 got hacked too? Why does this always happen to Sony, you'd think they learn after psp and ps3, and from how easy the vita hacked is,I assume this is even worse hack than ps3 hack for Sony ?

Taruranto

Damn ps4 got hacked too? Why does this always happen to Sony, you'd think they learn after psp and ps3, and from how easy the vita hacked is,I assume this is even worse hack than ps3 hack for Sony ?

... all consoles get hacked at some point (If there is interest), there is nothing special about it.

PS3 was actually locked pretty well since they still can't find a way to install CFW past 3.55

Blastoise

Banned

You should read what Yifan has to say about hacking the Vita: http://yifan.lu/2016/08/05/henkaku-koth-challenge/

"I think I owe a large portion of what I know about security due to my work on the Vita. It has, hands down, the most well designed security infrastructure of any consumer electronics device."

HENKaku was not a simple task. Sony engineers were very good.

Are you saying it's a bad thing? it doesn't have piracy of any kind, and they usually left the "hacked" consoles without online.

c0de

Every console can and will get hacked if there is interest. Also it really didn't hurt Sony in the past.

jediyoshi

You'd think after this happens to every console after long enough people would recognize this happens to all consoles after long enough.

Malawhur

In terms of performance, can anyone make a comparison to android systems? I have one plus two for instance, which has Snapdragon 810 Octa-core, 1.8GHz Adreno 430 GPU. Would Vita beat that?

Ganado

In terms of performance, can anyone make a comparison to android systems? I have one plus two for instance, which has Snapdragon 810 Octa-core, 1.8GHz Adreno 430 GPU. Would Vita beat that?

Not really since that phone should be able to play GC/Wii games. However, it's the physical controls that makes it so good.

Atomski

If you have a good controller Android would be better. Lots of emulators already work great and such.

I wouldn't run out and buy a Vita if I didn't have one already.. probably just get a good controller for my Android phone..

Lazaro

Every console can and will get hacked if there is interest. Also it really didn't hurt Sony in the past.

I think it put a dent into software sales for the PSP. Otherwise I think homebrew actually helped sell some PSP hardware back in the day.

Malawhur

Thanks for the replies. I thought maybe Vita has a better architecture or GPU that can help but apparently that is not the case. I have a vita too but I am still waiting to see the progress on Psx/psp.I would love to play diablo 1 on the go with it:)

c0de

From a performance view, smartphones have overtaken the Vita since a long time because of its ridiculous low clock rates.
It's the system as a whole that makes it interesting.

OmegaDL50

For reference the PS Vita uses a PowerVR SGX 543MP4+ for it's GPU.

An Iphone 5 uses a PowerVR SGX 543 MP3 (the MP3 denotes Tri-Core much like how the MP4 on the Vita denotes it as Quad Core)
The Samsung Galaxy S4 uses a PowerVR SGX 544

One thing to consider however the PS Vita is a dedicated gaming console designed to play games so it has some customized modifications to it's chipset so we really can't do a 1:1 comparison with mobile GPUs.

For the sake of homebrew, it remains to be seen if Henkaku devs or people that continue to develop on homebrew will be even able access lower levels of the Vita's hardware or even take advantage of it's API's.

c0de

An Iphone 5 uses a PowerVR SGX 543 MP3 (the MP3 denotes Tri-Core much like how the MP4 on the Vita denotes it as Quad Core)

One thing to consider however the PS Vita is a dedicated gaming console designed to play games so it has some customized modifications to it's chipset so we really can't do a 1:1 comparison with mobile GPUs.

For the sake of homebrew, it remains to be seen if Henkaku devs or people that continue to develop on homebrew will be even able access lower levels of the Vita's hardware or even take advantage of it's API's.

What exactly is customized in the Vita besides its already outdated GPU in terms of hardware?

spons

Gold Member
Welp, now I need to purchase a PS4.. again. Cheap homebrew/multimedia box in due time? Count me in. Hopefully someone leaks a kernel hack, I'm sure people have been waiting for a good moment to release one.

Malawhur

It has been really exciting last couple of days in terms of progress. Hope the devs would keep the pace and exploit the hardware to its potential. I am still on the fence and waiting for good psx/psp support. Nba hangtime would be dope with vita controls :)

Yes. The devs are just hitting compile to everything and see if it works. It's pretty much the same code for Arm with zero inprovements.

Imagine it with optimizations

test_account

XP-39C²
Welp, now I need to purchase a PS4.. again. Cheap homebrew/multimedia box in due time? Count me in. Hopefully someone leaks a kernel hack, I'm sure people have been waiting for a good moment to release one.
Arent there other options that does that already? And also with more freedom too (device running Windows or Linux).

Top Bottom