• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HENKaku -- Vita Homebrew and more comes to all 3.60 Vitas

As it has been stated before (three posts above yours, actually), Team Molecule will be looking into an offline installer. But it will take time. It's not like it's a huge pain in the ass to set up HENkaku via the web exploit, though.
Is there any chance that Sony can block the web exploit on the current firmware, or should it be safe?

I ordered my Vita 2000 (white, JPN version) from Amazon UK fulfillment, as it was cheaper than importing via Amazon Japan. It should reach me on Saturday. I've ordered a Hori screen protector, but no back screen protector...is the latter necessary? Is the back of the system even prone to scratching?

Has anyone done the FTP stuff via a Mac? I think I had an FTP client back in the day, Panic FTP or something like that. I'm hoping this isn't Windows exclusive, though I can use Bootcamp if need be.

Finally (for now): I'm not the type to keep my system on/in sleep mode all the time. Is it relatively easy to tether Vita to a phone connection? I take it actioning the exploit isn't data-heavy?

Thanks.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Is there any chance that Sony can block the web exploit on the current firmware, or should it be safe?

I ordered my Vita 2000 (white, JPN version) from Amazon UK fulfillment, as it was cheaper than importing via Amazon Japan. It should reach me on Saturday. I've ordered a Hori screen protector, but no back screen protector...is the latter necessary? Is the back of the system even prone to scratching?

Has anyone done the FTP stuff via a Mac? I think I had an FTP client back in the day, Panic FTP or something like that. I'm hoping this isn't Windows exclusive, though I can use Bootcamp if need be.

Finally (for now): I'm not the type to keep my system on/in sleep mode all the time. Is it relatively easy to tether Vita to a phone connection? I take it actioning the exploit isn't data-heavy?

Thanks.

As far as I know, they can't patch the browser "on the fly". They need to update the firmware. So as long as you don't update, you're OK.

I... I don't know. You don't need a screen protector for HENkaku, that much I can tell :)

Any FTP client should be fine, either on Windows or Mac. If you don't have access to any (which would be weird, even on Mac), you can send your files through QCMA and move them with molecularShell. Although this process is incredibly tedious compared to how easy it is to use an FTP client.

I guess it's easy. Just connect your Vita to your phone's Wi-Fi hotspot and it should be enough. The payload itself is very lightweight, if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks.

in my experience the back is extremely prone to scratching, on both models. the screen itself is much better.

For now the only thing I want out of this hack is for someone to reverse engineer the PSM authentication so we can host our own spoofed server. I got locked out of my PSM games at some point and it sucks.

As far as I know, they can't patch the browser "on the fly". They need to update the firmware. So as long as you don't update, you're OK.

I... I don't know. You don't need a screen protector for HENkaku, that much I can tell :)

Any FTP client should be fine, either on Windows or Mac. If you don't have access to any (which would be weird, even on Mac), you can send your files through QCMA and move them with molecularShell. Although this process is incredibly tedious compared to how easy it is to use an FTP client.

I guess it's easy. Just connect your Vita to your phone's Wi-Fi hotspot and it should be enough. The payload itself is very lightweight, if I'm not mistaken.

in my experience the back is extremely prone to scratching, on both models. the screen itself is much better.
Thanks both. I think I'll try the FTP route and order a back protector too.

Shaneus

Thanks both. I think I'll try the FTP route and order a back protector too.
Eh, I never bought a back protector for mine and honestly, never even notice it.

I use a plastic handle thingy for my 1000 and put it in a soft case though, so it's probably less prone anyway. But I can't remember the last time I even looked at the back of the thing.

Gamespawn

Thanks.

I didn't have any problems. I used filezilla from the op and it worked perfectly.

Gambatte seems to be fixed in the newest nightly! Playing Kirby's Dream Land on it right now.

Edit: GBC coloration works as well. Way more pumped about this than I should be.

Gambatte seems to be fixed in the newest nightly! Playing Kirby's Dream Land on it right now.

Edit: GBC coloration works as well. Way more pumped about this than I should be.

Awesome! Good to know. I wonder if anything else was fixed or updated in the nightly. Not sure if they post updates somewhere or not.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

None. The only way they can fix the browser is with a firmware update. Similar to your OS needing to patch things. The exploit can't be "hot-fixed." There's no ability in the browser for that.

thuway

FBA CPS2 is incredible. Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo, Marvel versus Capcom, and Mega Man the Power Fighters looks and plays flawlessly.

You're thinking of Panic's Transmit, which is what I've been using for HENKaku and it works fine.
Thanks. I'll have to dig up the app or re-download it.

None. The only way they can fix the browser is with a firmware update. Similar to your OS needing to patch things. The exploit can't be "hot-fixed." There's no ability in the browser for that.
This is very reassuring.

Any word on someone working on a hack to change the function of the X and square buttons, specifically for Japanese machines?

Release: memcardswap. Swap Vita memory cards without having to format

What is Memcardswap for PS Vita? said:
Memcardswap just deletes ux0:/id.dat from the memory stick and replaces it with an empty one (the code is extremely simple*), a method that has been known for more than a year when it was revealed by Major_Tom and Mr.Gas. This tricks the PS Vita into believing the memory card is “new” and therefore does not need to be formatted. Next time the card is inserted in a Vita, id.dat will be re-generated for the current account, without formatting anything.

Of course, this does not magically transfer the licenses! If you have a game owned by User1, and try to run it from User2’s account after swapping the card to user2, this will not work. Except for unsigned stuff such as homebrew, of course.

Technically, you could upload an empty id.dat file yourself from the ftp with molecularShell so this app is not an essential tool, but it is a quick shortcut that will be useful for those of you who regularly switch between accounts.

Retroarch Nightlies released. Gambatte fixed.

thuway

I hope the Snes9x emulator gets fixed up because I want to be able to use my save state from my tablet. The current SNES9X is Psp level awful.

thuway

PPSSPP on PC and Android. On Vita? Nope. None so far... and I don't know if there will ever be, truth be told.
I was kinda hoping PPSSP would take a stab at Vita since Vita has native PSP hardware. That alongside the traditional ARM chips could do some mighty fine things.

Varth

Will probably try it this weekend. No news for a dedicated card right? Can I use one with other games?

Also, Im mostly interested in 80s arcade games. How do they run? Can you do tate on SHMUPS?

Joey Ravn

Banned
I was kinda hoping PPSSP would take a stab at Vita since Vita has native PSP hardware. That alongside the traditional ARM chips could do some mighty fine things.

Eh. I don't think having native PSP hardware matters much. The Vita's processor is rather weak. But, well, time will tell, I guess.

Will probably try it this weekend. No news for a dedicated card right? Can I use one with other games?

Also, Im mostly interested in 80s arcade games. How do they run? Can you do tate on SHMUPS?

I don't understand what you mean by "dedicated card", to be honest. As for arcade games, it depends on the platform. What games are you trying to run, exactly? RetroArch allows you to rotate the screen and you can reassign the buttons to your liking, so you can have something that resembles tate mode on Vita.

Chesskid1

Banned
1 week since the release HENkaku, lots of progress on homebrew for it and the hack still works :D

I try to constantly update the OP, so check it out once in a while, and feel free to suggest anything i miss in here if you find it worthy enough that new henkaku users must know!

Varth

Imeant "Do I need an empty, clean card for this?" As for the games, I guess we could use... uhm... Varth as an example :)

Edit: also later Capcom Brawlers like Alien vs Predator. Do they run Well?

c0de

Is it confirmed that vita has PSP hardware?
But whatever software Sony uses to get PSP games to run on the vita, hackers should find out and make it available to all.

RalchAC

Someone released a "paranoia app" called History Deleter. It, well, deletes your playing history and error log :)

As for the PSP stuff... A lot of people are claiming it's fake. The (alleged) developer claims it can be used with any system app and that it will be released on Monday or Tuesday. Time will tell, I guess.

Awesome! I've been silently waiting for something like this.

I have a lot of digital PS3 and Vita games, didn't want to risk them.

thuway

Is it possible to use the shaders of retroarch on Vita?
I've looked for the option and couldn't find it.

+1 to this as well. The biggest issue with shaders though is they can easily kill performance. Still I expect them to eventually be around because the CPS2 emulation running 100% is bananas :D.

VNZ

The Vita port of RetroArch doesn't use OpenGL so until someone writes a wrapper for at least the fragment shader functionality there won't be shader support.

Is it possible to use the shaders of retroarch on Vita?
I've looked for the option and couldn't find it.

EDIT: See above post. I found an option for it in settings last night (either a shader or filter, can't remember), but it probably won't work.

The problem is it doesn't recognize save files from SNES9x and Final Fantasy V still sounds like trash on it as well. :/

It's in the right folder, correct? You can check where Retroarch is looking for them by going to settings>directory. If it is, then I've got no idea. For some reason it doesn't seem to read my SMRPG save file, but it reads my Breath of Fire II one just fine despite them being from the same source. Could have just been an issue with the nightly or something.

1 week since the release HENkaku, lots of progress on homebrew for it and the hack still works :D

I try to constantly update the OP, so check it out once in a while, and feel free to suggest anything i miss in here if you find it worthy enough that new henkaku users must know!
Thanks for the informative OP and all of the people in here providing advice to us novice plebs.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Does the Genesis emu run Sega CD games? I'd hate to give up Picodrive for something that doesn't.

Really want to use this as this could seriously help me retire my PSPgo. What do I lose by using this (as in, what can't I use to keep this working?)? Wi-fi? PSN Store?

Joey Ravn

Banned
Imeant "Do I need an empty, clean card for this?" As for the games, I guess we could use... uhm... Varth as an example :)

Edit: also later Capcom Brawlers like Alien vs Predator. Do they run Well?

OK. You don't need a new memory card for this. You can use whatever you already have.

As for the games, I wasn't asking so much about specific games but rather about platforms. Varth is CPS-1 and AvP is CPS-2, which, as far as I know, run perfectly fine on RetroArch.

dugdug

Banned
I'm sure this has been brought up, but, I'm not trying to rife through 30 pages.

I tried this on my Vita TV, and the first time, the unit completely reset, and, I tried a couple more times and the browser just kept freezing. Is this a thing that's happening to some people? Am I doing something wrong?

RexNovis

Banned
I'm sure this has been brought up, but, I'm not trying to rife through 30 pages.

I tried this on my Vita TV, and the first time, the unit completely reset, and, I tried a couple more times and the browser just kept freezing. Is this a thing that's happening to some people? Am I doing something wrong?

Make sure you have a memory card installed in your Vita TV.

J-Fr

The Vita port of RetroArch doesn't use OpenGL so until someone writes a wrapper for at least the fragment shader functionality there won't be shader support.

Thanks for the reply!

I wish I had the time and skills to contribute to retroarch.

wrowa

Did anyone try Terranigma on the RetroArch SNES emulator? I always wanted to play that game on a handheld, but it ran horribly on PSP (and the first Vita SNES emulator, but what game didn't ran horribly on that one).

Does the Genesis emu run Sega CD games? I'd hate to give up Picodrive for something that doesn't.

Yep. Snatcher ran great for me but it hung during a cutscene - I think the Vita's automatic screen dimming/sleep mode may have messed it up but it could have been the emulator. I'll have to test it more.

Every SNES emulator I've tried for Vita can't run the under water segment of Bubble Crab's stage from Mega Man X2 at full FPS. Also, does anyone know the best aspect ratio for Retroarch Vita?

Did anyone try Terranigma on the RetroArch SNES emulator? I always wanted to play that game on a handheld, but it ran horribly on PSP (and the first Vita SNES emulator, but what game didn't ran horribly on that one).

Just tried it. Early parts of the game, but it ran at a full 60fps (with the NTSC patch on the English PAL version). Only issue was that the world map had a visual glitch on the left and right - sort of a weird partial letterboxing effect, but it's nothing major.

Every SNES emulator I've tried for Vita can't run the under water segment of Bubble Crab's stage from Mega Man X2 at full FPS. Also, does anyone know the best aspect ratio for Retroarch Vita?

It's probably going to take some time for more intense games like MMX2 to get running full speed. It used a special chip from what I remember. And either 4:3 or 8:7 for SNES. SNES natively output at 8:7, but a lot of games were designed with consideration for being displayed in 4:3. In other words, in some games circles will look like ovals in 8:7 because though that's the native output, it's not how it was intended to be displayed.

Basically play around with it per-game and find what looks best to you. Most common arguments for 4:3 are seen with circles in Super Metroid and Chrono Trigger. If you Google (or just GAF search) anything about SNES aspect ratios you can find decades of nerds fighting over which is best.

Guys would Vita be better machine for emulators than GPD XD? I already have Vita and love it. Have invested a lot in it and would not like to be closed from the PSN store. I'm only in for the emulators no backups. Right now Vita is about 190€ where I live and if it was more powerful than the GPD I would think about buying it.

Top Bottom