• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HENKaku -- Vita Homebrew and more comes to all 3.60 Vitas

Justified

Question about PS Plus games...if online is kind of off limits after hacking, what happens to the online check Plus games do to see if you're still a member? Does it just not let you play them anymore after a certain amount of time without access to the store or updating?

Well since you have to re-enged the exploit after every restart you should will be ok. That is until Sony updates the Vita, and block this

Nightbird

Wow, installing mgba was much, much more simpler than i could have expected!

It doesnt run that well (sound issues and hiccups), but its doing a great job anyway!

Adryuu

Ugh, don't say that! I've updated my PSTV but holding onto my older firmware Vita for the time being just so I can play Lumines (and Outrun C2C) on it.

Can't you just update, install HENkaku, and use that to install VHBL and run the older homebrew using an installed PSP game?

I haven't done it, but I'm interested in it and I've read it's possible. Mainly it'd be for gba emulation which I think works better for now in PSP mode, right? And maybe some more emulation which is green yet in native vita version.

test_account

XP-39C²
Someone has been reverse-engineering HENkaku and Wololo posted an article about it.

It goes way over my head, but I guess it's an important step towards a more permanent solution. But at the same time, it helps Sony patch it sooner... although that would mean that Team Molecule would release the source code sooner as well.

Cat and mouse, eh?
I dont think that Team Molecule and Yifan went with this temporary solution out of choice, but rather that it was the only entry point that they could find. There are many smart people out there, but if they couldnt find an entry point for a permanent solution, i'm not sure that many other will. PS3 is also hacked to bits, but no one has yet found an entry point for CFW on firmware 3.60 and above.

Joey Ravn

Banned
But i think you can with VHBL,right?

Nope. VHBL is only for homebrew. It never ran PSP ISOs.

I dont think that Team Molecule and Yifan went with this temporary solution out of choice, but rather that it was the only entry point that they could find. There are many smart people out there, but if they couldnt find an entry point for a permanent solution, i'm not sure that many other will. PS3 is also hacked to bits, but no one has yet found an entry point for CFW on firmware 3.60 and above.

I honestly don't mind having to reinstall the hack every time I turn off my Vita. All I'm saying is that a proper CFW would be great. Yifan said that Molecule will be working on something like that, but it would take time. I guess they released it in this state because getting to a permanent solution would have taken a lot more time... if it even paid off. But at least now the work can be "crowdsourced", so to speak.

ok,
1- what about PS1 games?
2- can i install TNV using VHBL?
3- can i install TNV on Vita TV that have 3.20 FW on it,then put the memory card on PS Vita that have 3.60?

1. no
2. no
3. no

Finally had the free time to set up some emulators last night. For some reason CATSFC one doesn't read my SMRPG save file so I didn't get to test that much, but more basic games like Fire Emblem 4 seemed perfect. The Genesis core is phenomenal. Snatcher was running flawlessly for the bit that I played of it - I remember trying it on N3DS months ago and it was a bit choppy during the intro. Not sure whether it's the Vita making it run better or the emulator being more up to date, but I'm extremely happy with it so far.

Really excited to see a few others get ported over. Hoping that Gambatte gets fixed soon and that mGBA continues to see more speed improvements.

test_account

XP-39C²
I honestly don't mind having to reinstall the hack every time I turn off my Vita. All I'm saying is that a proper CFW would be great. Yifan said that Molecule will be working on something like that, but it would take time. I guess they released it in this state because getting to a permanent solution would have taken a lot more time... if it even paid off. But at least now the work can be "crowdsourced", so to speak.
Sure, i'm just saying that i think they went with this solution because it is the "only" thing that they could come up with. Did he say that a permanent solution is possible or that they're just working on it (as in seeing if its possible)?

Joey Ravn

Banned

RexNovis

Banned
59.9 doesn't really mean it's dropping frames.

Uhh were we watching te same video? There is very visible stuttering across all of the mentioned emulators. I mean it could be due to other things but usually that's the result of dropped frames.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I really hope they get PSP Backups to work because I really want to play War of the Lions without the slowdown.

I really hope they get PSP Backups to work because I really want to play War of the Lions without the slowdown.

I need to play a lot of games, including all portable tales of series games

Gosh playing destiny 2 again and Eternia, or Valkyrie Profile Lenneth

(i only have a laptop, but it's 5 years old, good specs thou, still, cannot play games there, get's laggy because of lack of maintenance)

L.O.R.D

i am trying to use QCMA to backup my games,but my Vita wont recognize it.
i have CMA,should i delete it?

i put the vita to offline mode,and settings in QCMA to offline mode too.
still can't connect each other.

i forgot how to do it,please help

OmegaFax

I'm waiting for PSP/PS1 support as well. I have a physical copy of Mega Man Powered Up and would love to replay it on my Vita.

Do the Retroarch cores support frame skipping? Super Mario RPG just seems to slow down during a few more graphically intensive parts - surprisingly smooth elsewhere.

Hoping they add in an option to touch the screen to pull up the menu. The built in button combos are so clunky on the Vita.

RalchAC

I'm not interested in undub (seriously guys? Golden dub is excellent) but swapping intro movie to rick roll is certainly a good idea :D

I like Golden song, even if it's too lighthearted and less misterious than the theme song in previous games. But they could switch the intro movie to the one in the PS2 game or something.

So I downloaded the latest retroarch build, and I'm still confused as to whether or not you can change the menu shortcut to a custom one.

Currently the best one seems to be L1+R1+Select+Start, however, plenty of games us this same exact input (especially on SNES) to reset back to the title screen.
You can see how this would then be an issue. Anytime I wish to use the emulator menu, I also reset my game back to the title screen. :\

Does anyone know how to properly customize this?

Is there a site that keeps the install files for the various Vita firmware a available for download? I'm hoping to order my Vita tonight and want to make sure I can upgrade to 3.6 and no higher for when it does arrive. Don't want to be blocked out from using this hack at the latest firmware possible.

Here's to hoping for PS1 and PSP all title support, the former especially so NA users have a permanent solution for playing Spyro and Crash Bandicoot PS1 titles!

Chesskid1

Banned

a 3.60 vita could get pretty expensive if sony is able to re-secure their system

it will be the only way to play undubs/whatever fan translations comes out

swit

Is there a site that keeps the install files for the various Vita firmware a available for download? I'm hoping to order my Vita tonight and want to make sure I can upgrade to 3.6 and no higher for when it does arrive. Don't want to be blocked out from using this hack at the latest firmware possible.

Here's to hoping for PS1 and PSP all title support, the former especially so NA users have a permanent solution for playing Spyro and Crash Bandicoot PS1 titles!

I own a Vita with 3.18 with both TN-V (for PSP emulation) and TN-X (native PS1 emulation), so I'm not yet ready to update to 3.60 firmware since none of these features are supported by it yet. Although it looks like it will be easy to update to the FW required by this exploit even after Sony patches it in future: http://wololo.net/talk/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=23013

Joey Ravn

Banned

Sony's official website has the download to update manually. It's in the OP.

test_account

XP-39C²
Well, he said offline support is technically possible, but would take some time to develop. If it can't be truly permanent (like A9HL on 3DS), at least it can be much quicker to set up, like most CFWs on PSP.
I see. Looking forward to see the developement on it.

a 3.60 vita could get pretty expensive if sony is able to re-secure their system

it will be the only way to play undubs/whatever fan translations comes out
Yeah, thats possible.

Uhh were we watching te same video? There is very visible stuttering across all of the mentioned emulators. I mean it could be due to other things but usually that's the result of dropped frames.

Not on my end, there isn't. Sounds like there's something going on with your PC or whichever device you use to watch YouTube videos.

Joey Ravn

Banned
He states that PSP ISOs boot 5% of the time, other 95% it crashes ARK.

Yep. That's why I never said the word "backup" in my post ;)

What's important is that he used HENkaku to install a VPK that enables privilege scalation. That is potentially very useful not just for PSP ISOs, but also for other type of unsigned code.

So, are we expecting a permanent hack or at least a fast recovery tool like on the PSP at some point or is that not even in the cards?

As it has been stated before (three posts above yours, actually), Team Molecule will be looking into an offline installer. But it will take time. It's not like it's a huge pain in the ass to set up HENkaku via the web exploit, though.

Edit: He's saying that he'll upload the files when he's done testing.

Athreous

Yep. That's why I never said the word "backup" in my post ;)

What's important is that he used HENkaku to install a VPK that enables privilege scalation. That is potentially very useful not just for PSP ISOs, but also for other type of unsigned code.

As it has been stated before (three posts above yours, actually), Team Molecule will be looking into an offline installer. But it will take time. It's not like it's a huge pain in the ass to set up HENkaku via the web exploit, though.

Edit: He's saying that he'll upload the files when he's done testing.

My most antecipated feature: psp and psx isos :D

Top Bottom