• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HENKaku -- Vita Homebrew and more comes to all 3.60 Vitas

MacTag

Banned
What exactly is customized in the Vita besides its already outdated GPU in terms of hardware?
With the GPU it seems like it's pretty much the extra core and slower clock? Did Sony add some custom instruction set or anything to denote the +?

Galaxy S4 PowerVR SGX 544MP3: 533 MHz
iPhone 5 PowerVR SGX 543MP3: 325 MHz
PS Vita PowerVR SGX 543MP4+: 111 MHz (222 HMz overclock)

From what I can find Vita actually has the slowest clocked SGX series 5 GPU in any consumer device. There are other 4 core variants though, like in the A6X in the 4th gen iPad (clocked at 280 MHz).

spons

Gold Member
Arent there other options that does that already? And also with more freedom too (device running Windows or Linux).

There's something oddly satisfying about making a device do something it's not supposed to do.

You're entirely right though, from a measly Raspberry Pi to a mid-range or high-end HTPC/Gaming setup, there are many better alternatives than a hacked PS4 (which isn't even guaranteed - there is still need for a true kernel exploit).

I like homebrew on the N3DS/Vita though because it's a portable device, not many alternatives for that.

test_account

XP-39C²
There's something oddly satisfying about making a device do something it's not supposed to do.

You're entirely right though, from a measly Raspberry Pi to a mid-range or high-end HTPC/Gaming setup, there are many better alternatives than a hacked PS4 (which isn't even guaranteed - there is still need for a true kernel exploit).

I like homebrew on the N3DS/Vita though because it's a portable device, not many alternatives for that.
Understood, i see what you mean.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Someone posted a nice overlay for RetroArch that simulates very basic scalines for Genesis and SNES games. But unfortunately the cores are crashing for me when I'm trying to set the size of the overlay to 1.33. As soon as I try to increase it even .01, the core crashes :(

Why is so much of this thread seemingly dedicated to shitting on the quite old Vita hardware?

We must be reading completely different threads.

nice! haven't turned my vita on in months...gotta still be on the acceptable firmware.

Not necessarily. As I understand it, if you aren't on the current firmware yet, you need to update before you can get this hack working. It won't work on older ones I think, and if you wait too long to update they'll probably have the new firmware update replace the hackable one.

looks like mame2000 and gpsp are in the retroarch 08/08 nightly! nice!

Oh nice. gpsp's glitches bug me a bit too much in some games, but still should be nice for the many games it does well.

With respect to the PS1 emulator, anyone test it on the new nightly? Also, did they ever optimize it much on the 3DS? I remember it not being able to do much of anything fullspeed back around when it came out and I haven't heard of any significant progress since then. Sort of wondering if it's going to be the same case here.

I'm gonna try and mess around with that controller plugin, see how that works out.

On a theoretical level: Would it be possible to basically do Remote Play FROM a PC onto the Vita (Along the lines of PS4-Vita Remote Play or on the PC Side what the Nvidia Shield/Shadowplay is doing? I got a massive Steam library not to mention all the other classics, would be fucking amazing to have the Vita be my dedicated streaming device in the home.

I'm gonna try and mess around with that controller plugin, see how that works out.

On a theoretical level: Would it be possible to basically do Remote Play FROM a PC onto the Vita (Along the lines of PS4-Vita Remote Play or on the PC Side what the Nvidia Shield/Shadowplay is doing? I got a massive Steam library not to mention all the other classics, would be fucking amazing to have the Vita be my dedicated streaming device in the home.

There was a way to do this via PSM, so I imagine so. Performance wasn't the best iirc, though.

Chesskid1

Banned
With respect to the PS1 emulator, anyone test it on the new nightly? Also, did they ever optimize it much on the 3DS? I remember it not being able to do much of anything fullspeed back around when it came out and I haven't heard of any significant progress since then. Sort of wondering if it's going to be the same case here.

ps1 wouldnt load roms for anyone so dev's pulled it while they figure out why. it will show back up soon i imagine. the vita version should have dynarec support & Neon GPU plugin support(?) so it will run better than 3ds.

Is there a decent NES emulator in the latest release?

check the OP! i link to a thread that sums up how retroarch runs! NES (FCEUmm) is very good from what i've heard.

I can't load anything on gpsp. It crashes

same here! i'm sure it will be fixed soon.

Managed to get scanlines working using overlay! had to edit the cfg file becase the gui crashes the binary

https://www.reddit.com/r/vitahacks/comments/4wlzy2/overlay_scanlinesgrill_effect_for_retroarch_vita/

Some Gameboy ones!

http://www.elotrolado.net/hilo_ho-e...vita-llega-retroarch_2107139_s480#p1741918819

11ltz79.jpg

So is Sony seriously gonna let this one slide? No patch for like a week now. I'm not complaining but uselessly Sony is very quick with a fix for exploits but the one time when I want Sony not to support the Vita are they gonna deliver and let us run homebrew and keep using PSN? God I hope so for the sake of my trophies.

Dwayne

So is Sony seriously gonna let this one slide? No patch for like a week now. I'm not complaining but uselessly Sony is very quick with a fix for exploits but the one time when I want Sony not to support the Vita are they gonna deliver and let us run homebrew and keep using PSN? God I hope so for the sake of my trophies.

I'd imagine the test cycle would be at least a week, you don't want to rush out system software updates.

Zero chance this is not patched. It will probably come alongside the September PS4 update.

Canklestank

Neo Member
Lookin' good. Mind posting the images you used?

Sure thing. All the images are just from the RetroArch flat theme on PC. I downsized them, added a black background, and then saved them with the SuperPNG plugin for Photoshop. As far as I can tell, they need to be 128x128 8bit png files. You won't need to do any of that, but just for reference for anyone else that wants to create custom icons.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fyiv7catd053ggb/RetroArch Flat Controller Icons - Vita.zip?dl=0

If you have any questions, let me know. The process of changing the icons and renaming the cores is surprisingly simple, but may be a pain if you're regularly installing the latest nightly.

Tried this out tonight and started playing Mega Man X2 on my Vita.

Can't wait to see how this continues to improve!!!

whatatimetobealive.jpeg

That's in there already, Mednafen PCE Fast. CDs are working nicely, make sure you put your syscard3.pce in the data/retroarch/cores/system directory.

Yes, FCEUmm.

Oh man, I love you!!
How is Super CD emulation running?
Awesome news.
The Vita is becoming a Phoenix rising from the ashes. And the funny thing is that it was the community and not Sony to make it happen.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Managed to get scanlines working using overlay! had to edit the cfg file becase the gui crashes the binary

https://www.reddit.com/r/vitahacks/comments/4wlzy2/overlay_scanlinesgrill_effect_for_retroarch_vita/

I've been trying to do the same and the cores also crash for me. How did you edit the cfg file to set the overlay to 1.33 its original size?

If Sony releases a firmware update, are we able to downgrade to 3.60?

I wouldn't count on it. Downgrading has not been a possibility yet, and I doubt that with the current state of HENkaku we will be able to do it any time soon. Just turn off automatic updates and, well, don't update :)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Arent there other options that does that already? And also with more freedom too (device running Windows or Linux).

Yeah a Raspberry Pi will do most of what people want the PS4 hack to do and emulate most everything outside of like Dreamcast(? 3 could probably do it?) for around $30-50.

c0de

Yeah a Raspberry Pi will do most of what people want the PS4 hack to do and emulate most everything outside of like Dreamcast(? 3 could probably do it?) for around $30-50.

The Pi is slow, really slow, and it shows when you emulate games on it. Ps4 is *much* stronger than a pi.

Top Bottom