• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HENKaku -- Vita Homebrew and more comes to all 3.60 Vitas

Lime

For people who want to still use their PS+ and downloadable titles in the future (and who has disposable income), get a cheap used PS3 to transfer games to your hacked vita in order to avoid PSN's update requirement.

Those of you who want the keep the hack but still want access to PS+, PSN and Vita games are really just better off getting a second Vita. I recognize there is cost involved, but I kept seeing people do the same during the heyday of the PSP CFW scene and my God that was a hectic mess.

twisted89

Thank you for the explanation, too bad, modifying the 3.60 update file and change it's 3.60 value in 3.61 and then updating with that seemed an easy solution, so easy to be a dumb idea lol.

Certainly wouldn't say a dumb idea, just not possible yet!

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
"Sir, I've just received word that users are able to play Gameboy roms and EVERY Vita game they've purchased on their PS TV's."

"Quick man, force an update immediately before this disaster spreads!"

Kilau

Oh well, I wasn't really interested in emulation anyway. I'll just leave the PSTV as is for the whitelist, thankfully I already loaded the memory card up with games.

One day I will want to sync trophies though...

"Sir, I've just received word that users are able to play Gameboy roms and EVERY Vita game they've purchased on their PS TV's."

"Quick man, force an update immediately before this disaster spreads!"

Sir, people is using their vitas.

Damn. Let's release the 10th in a row firmware update without anything significant but exploit fixing

Eylos

Banned
shit, i want to play cold steel 2 on my vita when it releases, that's sad

i think i will have to borrow a ps3, ugh this is troublesome =((

Atomski

Meanwhile at sony
Articles_how.do.you.jpg

EmiPrime

So they have the time and resources to make a firmware patch but they don't have time to fix the PSTV whitelist that won't allow the EU Danganronpa but allows the US Danganronpa among other annoyances.

Cheers Sony. Nice one.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I added three months of Plus to extend the time I have to beat some PS+ games on my Vita, but they still show 40 days left before they experie (which is what I had before extending the subscription). How do I "update" the counter?

Buying a second Vita.

So, you need:

A PS Vita on 3.55 or prior to play PSP ISOs. If it's on 3.18, you can play PSX games!

A PS Vita on 3.60 to use HENkaku.

A PS Vita on 3.61 (or whatever the current firmware is in the future) to access online services and PS+.

If you ask me, Sony knows exactly what they are doing. They are hell bent on moving some hardware.

Welp, downloading the Jap one just in case too, since I have a Japanese Vita
Argh! I think I download 3.60 from the US site on the weekend, via the link in the OP. My Vita is Japanese!!

Any non Sony sites where this is available to download?

Also, is the update file for Vita TV different? I have a PAL Vita TV that I've not downloaded it for :-/

whitehawk

Banned
Those of you who want the keep the hack but still want access to PS+, PSN and Vita games are really just better off getting a second Vita. I recognize there is cost involved, but I kept seeing people do the same during the heyday of the PSP CFW scene and my God that was a hectic mess.
Honestly if people are willing to buy another vita, you're better off spending a little extra and getting a GDP XD. The emulation on that thing will always be better than vita.

Massa

So they have the time and resources to make a firmware patch but they don't have time to fix the PSTV whitelist that won't allow the EU Danganronpa but allows the US Danganronpa among other annoyances.

Cheers Sony. Nice one.

That's up to the publisher of Danganronpa in EU, you should contact them.

Argh! I think I download 3.60 from the US site on the weekend, via the link in the OP. My Vita is Japanese!!

Any non Sony sites where this is available to download?

Also, is the update file for Vita TV different? I have a PAL Vita TV that I've not downloaded it for :-/

It's all the same firmware, you only need one download.

Joey Ravn

Banned
So... the first Vita "backup" has been made, it seems.

Code:
Adventure time psvita, never released game (dumped from devkit)
Install from Vitashell 0.7

trophies work, enjoy the ban

-- hf

Link removed from obvious reasons. Duh. It's an unreleased game, therefore not encrypted. It doesn't mean every game will be dumped from now on. But, hey. It's something new.

Welp

I think ill move on to GPD Win as my retro machine. Still have quite a few Vita titles i want to snag over PSN

Maybe these guys can come up with an unpatchable permanent solution (or spoof psn access) before the next game i want to play hits

Im not going to update for now. I can easily wait out the rest of the year

dallow_bg

nods at old men
So... the first Vita "backup" has been made, it seems.

Code:
Adventure time psvita, never released game (dumped from devkit)
Install from Vitashell 0.7

trophies work, enjoy the ban

-- hf

Link removed from obvious reasons. Duh. It's an unreleased game, therefore not encrypted. It doesn't mean every game will be dumped from now on. But, hey. It's something new.

That's actually pretty cool.
I'm all for unreleased games.

Which Aventure Time game was it?

Joey Ravn

Banned
Apparently the guy who leaked this is saying on Twitter that he has an "unreleased" "trick" that works with every game. The fact that this game was DRM-free (aka unencrypted) doesn't mean he can't do it with encrypted games.

Yeah.

Remember that ARK guy a few days ago? And the other ARK guy even before? Yeah... not buying it without proof.

Really hope this doesn't hinder developments.. honestly don't see myself updating ever.

Everyone who's into the console homebrew scene already knows that updating past the FW version where an exploit was released is a bad idea. Plus on Vita it's really easy to just park on an old firmware if you don't want to move on, so it won't be that much of a problem.

Canklestank

Neo Member
I have questions ..., like ¿how you do it? ¿how you change the bubble image and name? And yes, i have been regularly installing the latest nightly.

I'm at work right now, so I can't give specifics, but here's a quick guide.

Requirements:
7 zip (or something similar that allows you to edit the contents of a .vpk without unpacking it)
SFO Editor (I used this one https://sites.google.com/site/theleecherman/sfoeditor)

What you need to do:
1. Open the vpk with 7zip.
2. There should be a EBOOT and a folder. Navigate into the folder.
3. In this folder, there should be a icon0.png and a PARAM.sfo. There may also be a background0.png and other things. The "Showcase" version of GenesisPlusGX is good for figuring out what these are, but they're not required.
4. Drag your new icon0.png into the 7zip window and click Yes to overwrite it.
5. If you want to change the name, drag the PARAM.sfo out of the 7zip folder into whatever directory you want.
6. Open SFOEditor and load that PARAM.sfo
7. Scroll down and you'll see STITLE and TITLE. STITLE is what appears under the bubble. Title is what shows up when you long press and look at the information. You can change both, but I like to leave TITLE unchanged just so that I can see what the core name is if I need it. In my image, I changed the STITLE for FCEUmm to NES.
8. After making your changes, save it.
9. Drag the edited PARAM.sfo into the 7zip window and click Yes to overwrite.
10. Transfer your edited VPK(s) to your Vita with FTP.
11. Install as usual*

*I don't know what happens if you try to install them without uninstalling the old ones. I always long tap the bubble and tap delete on the old version first. You don't need to delete the retroarch folder or saves or anything like that. I believe that will stay intact, but it wouldn't hurt to backup your saves and configuration files first if they're important to you. Just make sure you install it in the same directory you used when you installed the old versions or it will create a new retroarch folder.

What's the easiest way to update the license for PS Plus games right now? Do I have to delete and redownload with the update blocker? Or is simply accessing the store with the update blocker able to update the license?

So, you need:

A PS Vita on 3.55 or prior to play PSP ISOs. If it's on 3.18, you can play PSX games!

A PS Vita on 3.60 to use HENkaku.

A PS Vita on 3.61 (or whatever the current firmware is in the future) to access online services and PS+.

If you ask me, Sony knows exactly what they are doing. They are hell bent on moving some hardware.

Crap, I forgot about the PSP ISO thing before updating my PSTV from 3.55. Shouldn't that be possible with HENkaku though?

are all whitelist files the same or are there some that are updated with newer non compatible games?

Nope, X-Com won't play for me despite me using the whitelist app.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Crap, I forgot about the PSP ISO thing before updating my PSTV from 3.55. Shouldn't that be possible with HENkaku though?

Maybe? A ePSP kernel exploit is needed to run PSP ISOs, which HENkaku is not. I don't know if only with HENkaku we will be able to run PSP ISOs. I assume that a new ePSP exploit is needed as well.

For the time being, unfortunately, nope.

Top Bottom