• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Henry Cavill says heading up the Warhammer 40,000 cinematic universe is 'the greatest privilege of my professional career'

T8SC

guess where Games Workshop is heading thing.

So you're getting worked up because you assume something which may not occur. I'll be happy to see a live action or animated show, given how Fallout was received, looking at Space Marine II and how it is shaping up and there's nothing on Warhammer+ to make me think they're "heading in another direction all of a sudden", Black Library are still bringing good stories to life with things like The End & The Death Vol III ... So, therefore, this fan of 25+ years is looking forward to seeing what they deliver.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
So you're getting worked up because you assume something which may not occur. I'll be happy to see a live action or animated show, given how Fallout was received, looking at Space Marine II and how it is shaping up and there's nothing on Warhammer+ to make me think they're "heading in another direction all of a sudden", Black Library are still bringing good stories to life with things like The End & The Death Vol III ... So, therefore, this fan of 25+ years is looking forward to seeing what they deliver.
Well, that's great for you I guess. I've only been a fan for about 8 years but I have seen how things are going and so I'm a bit pessimistic to say the least. I hope you're right and I hope I'm wrong but something tells me that this isn't going to be going the way people are hoping.

T8SC

Well, that's great for you I guess. I've only been a fan for about 8 years but I have seen how things are going and so I'm a bit pessimistic to say the least. I hope you're right and I hope I'm wrong but something tells me that this isn't going to be going the way people are hoping.

Again, I don't know why you're feeling this way. I'd love to read whatever you've read that makes you think Warhammer is going to go 'woke'. I've seen it change & progress since the 2nd edition, that's how it evolves, the lore is absolutely nothing like it was in the 90's, but nothing I've read, seen or heard makes me think all of a sudden GW is going to jump on the 'woke' bandwagon 10yrs late.

Edit: I'm using the term woke as an overall generalisation for "Where Games Workshop is heading" as you put it.

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

Again, I don't know why you're feeling this way. I'd love to read whatever you've read that makes you think Warhammer is going to go 'woke'. I've seen it change & progress since the 2nd edition, that's how it evolves, the lore is absolutely nothing like it was in the 90's, but nothing I've read, seen or heard makes me think all of a sudden GW is going to jump on the 'woke' bandwagon 10yrs late.

Edit: I'm using the term woke as an overall generalisation for "Where Games Workshop is heading" as you put it.
You've already been given one example but you reject it so we're not going to go there anymore at that point. There are telltale signs that Games Workshop is trying to be more "accepting" to broader/modern audiences for lack of a better term.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.

I'll talk solely for me but at this point it's not about WH/GW, it's about the current state of the industry. Now if there is ONE PERSON I trust for this, it's Henry Cavill. He is a massive fan and don't bend to the bullshit (see the Witcher) so let's hope he can stay true to the universe and I personally can't wait to see the first trailer.

But at the same time I think it's fair to be, well, a bit pessimist.

T8SC

You've already been given one example but you reject it so we're not going to go there anymore at that point. There are telltale signs that Games Workshop is trying to be more "accepting" to broader/modern audiences for lack of a better term.

It's not a 'rejection', it's simply a point that the Warhammer lore is always in a state of change. Whether it's changes to founding chapters or how the Horus Heresy happened, things change and everything is constantly being retconned, that's just how it is.

Why be pessimistic about something that has barely even hit the drawing board.

Darkmakaimura

It's not a 'rejection', it's simply a point that the Warhammer lore is always in a state of change. Whether it's changes to founding chapters or how the Horus Heresy happened, things change and everything is constantly being retconned, that's just how it is.

Why be pessimistic about something that has barely even hit the drawing board.
Those changes are made for reasons and many of those reasons are to appeal to people. I'm sure that you could say Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition is pretty woke and those changes were made due to people, especially a minority of loud people, wanting those changes. The same thing is happening here. It's not anywhere as extreme as Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition but it's nonetheless happening.

And I'm pessimistic because I've been around since at least 2014 to see this kind of thing happening with intellectual properties that I and many other fans have enjoyed. And you will definitely find that many fans of Warhammer 40,000, who have been much longer fans than me, agreeing with the red flags.

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

There's other 40k fans on here so maybe they can contribute to this.
You should check out the Warhammer official Twitter account and see how many people reacted negatively of female custodes. Then you should see the reaction by the official Twitter account by saying they always existed (it was never stated they existed before but sure Jan) and then of course look at how many people they've ban simply for disagreeing with them and how well they seem to treat a certain user by the name of Norn Queen.

Go look her up. She's one who recently said she would love to see the orks in Warhammer 40,000 up here more like the new orcs in the new Dungeons & Dragons. And no, she's not kidding because she's had many similar opinions like that for a while now.

Not to mention if you do look back on this thread, there is definite skepticism.

All in all I say there's good reason to be concerned.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
For the sake of everyone involved especially fans, I hope any and all live action or animated Warhammer 40,000 projects are canceled and put away forever.
You've posted this same comment in two threads so I am sure you are begging the question...
Why?

mokeyjoe

Agreed. Been in the hobby for over 30 years now since 1e, and it’s clearly mostly the relative noobs who get up in arms about small lore changes. it’s probably in a better place tonally then it’s been in a while. Not as goofy as 80s-90s 40k, but not as tryhard as 00s-10s 40k.

At the end of the day it’s not a great work of literature, it’s just fluff to sell minis and it will always adapt and change to serve that purpose. Given the recent boom in popularity they seem to be doing something right.

As far as TV show goes id much rather see some sort of anthology type show. 40k is a hobby universe and it is to a large extent how you choose to interpret it that makes it interesting. It’s something I like about the black library books, that different authors have different takes on the universe, and I’d rather see that than one person’s idea of how the universe ‘should be’, as that’s changed over the years depending on trends and writers (and players). I mean it was very much skewed towards kids in the 90s when I got into it, but that’s probably not the sort of content people would expect now.

Darkmakaimura

Remember that DEI groups, orgs, etc are now aligned with Games Workshop.

"Small changes" right now but.... yeah....

Just a reminder that people got mad at me when I told them things like this and FSM was going to happen (FSM WILL happen much sooner than later) and it pretty much did just a couple months later. Sorry I have to be the bearer of bad news.

Edit: anyways I'm going to stop here. I really don't feel like being any more confrontational at this point something or receiving warnings from moderators or other people. So I'll just leave it at that. Besides, there's nothing I can say or do to convince anybody with to continue this discussion.

Last edited:

T8SC

Remember that DEI groups, orgs, etc are now aligned with Games Workshop.

"Small changes" right now but.... yeah....

Just a reminder that people got mad at me when I told them things like this and FSM was going to happen (FSM WILL happen much sooner than later) and it pretty much did just a couple months later. Sorry I have to be the bearer of bad news.

Edit: anyways I'm going to stop here. I really don't feel like being any more confrontational at this point something or receiving warnings from moderators or other people. So I'll just leave it at that. Besides, there's nothing I can say or do to convince anybody with to continue this discussion.

I'm still looking for evidence for all of this, how do you know DEI groups are "aligned with Games Workshop" ... Because of Twitter/X accounts?

I've also no idea what FSM is, can someone help me out... I've got either Flying Spaghetti Monster or Free School Meals.... :unsure: :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Edit: Just for the record, I've got no gripe with you & not sure why you've been reported. To me, this is just a healthy discussion. Im not sure your head is in the right place looking at other posts on the forum, so I genuinely hope you're ok.
Remember, it's just a game of toy soldiers and it's evolved vastly since the 80s/90s era to which, if Twitter/X was around then, people would've been up in arms, no doubt. Unfortunately these days, people will complain about any and everything on that platform for the sake of it.
The hobby is very healthy.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Female-Size-Men

It's a long running fear for some men that if a woman gets to act in a film themed around some toy they like then somehow it'll make them turn into a girl scout sized office administrator.

I think someone on 4-Chan said it happened to them once.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Those changes are made for reasons and many of those reasons are to appeal to people. I'm sure that you could say Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition is pretty woke and those changes were made due to people, especially a minority of loud people, wanting those changes. The same thing is happening here. It's not anywhere as extreme as Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition but it's nonetheless happening.

And I'm pessimistic because I've been around since at least 2014 to see this kind of thing happening with intellectual properties that I and many other fans have enjoyed. And you will definitely find that many fans of Warhammer 40,000, who have been much longer fans than me, agreeing with the red flags.
I wouldn’t bother. Folks like that will make any number of excuses as to why these changes are actually good and not at all a middle finger retcon to push ideological talking points.

Top Bottom