• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hermen Hulst: "It's massively important that PlayStation Studios develops games in various genres, the family market is important for us to focus on"

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
they need a jrpg studio. sony owns so many anime IP that they could leverage
Games based on anime tv show are rarely good even it’s based on my favourite show.

What I want original Japanese games, it can be JRPG or unique quirky game like Tokyo Jungle and Gravity Rush.

Or even their own JRPG series like Nintendo has with Monolith Soft.

Last edited:

ap_puff

Neo Member
Games based on anime tv show are rarely good even it’s based on my favourite show.

What I want original Japanese games, it can be JRPG or unique quirky game like Tokyo Jungle and Gravity Rush.

Or even their JRPG series like Nintendo has with Monolith Soft.
Regardless it's a glaring hole in their lineup.

GymWolf

Gold Member
It's important to have both, the reason Nintendo continues to sell well is because they build a strong emotional tie to people when they're kids, then as they age that cohort will continue to buy the remasters when they get older and the working life sucks their souls out and they need to pay in order to feel any sort of emotion again. Hell I'm gonna buy the shit out of the DQ3 remake because that was one of the first games I ever played and I need that nostalgia hit. If Sony only ever makes dramatic 'adult' titles that kids don't care to play about their games will simply stop resonating in 20 years when the current crop of kids grow up since they'll have no emotional attachment to them.
I don't care about these games so why should i go against my taste? I'm not a sony shareholder, i care for what i like to play.

We already have like 2-3 first party sony games per year, i don't wanna have only one game tailored to my taste, and the rest for kiddies and families, sorry not sorry.

I don't need sony to become nintendo, i need sony to be the sony of the past 2 gens.

Last edited:

ap_puff

Neo Member
I don't care about these games so why should i go against my taste? I'm not a sony shareholder, i care for what i like to play.

We already have like 2-3 sony games per year, i don't wanna have only one game tailored to my taste, and the rest for kiddies and families, sorry not sorry.

I don't need sony to become nintendo, i need sony to be the sony of the past 2 gens.
Cool, have you seen how a certain platform that only focused on their 3 top franchises that everyone liked them for is doing currently with no one new buying into their ecosystem?

GymWolf

Gold Member
Cool, have you seen how a certain platform that only focused on their 3 top franchises that everyone liked them for is doing currently with no one new buying into their ecosystem?
Lmao sony is nowhere near the situation of microsoft, dumb example.

They had barely any first party kiddie game on ps4 and they did just fine (to use an euphemism).

And both halo and gears had 2 mediocre entries back to back (gears 4 and 5 and halo 5 and infinite that surely didn't set the world on fire to say the least), it was more a question of having bad entries than having just 3 franchises.

If the last halo and gears were exceptional there would be way less gloom about microsoft.

Last edited:

Rudius

Basically hoping parents are the last batch of normies who will buy anything for their kids, oblivious to all the woke element their developers inject into them, let's see how hopping on the Disney plan will work out for them.
If the rest of the package is high quality people will still put up with the woke crap, they won't like it, but will tolerate up to a point, like with The Last of Us 2. The problem is that woke makes games progressively worse. Take Spiderman: first one was great, some woke, but not too much, very high quality. Miles Morales: more woke and worse. Spiderman 2: very woke, to the point of being annoying, not the same success of the first one. If they make a Spiderman 3 keeping the same trend, I don't want to see it.

Killjoy-NL

. Spiderman 2: very woke, to the point of being annoying, not the same success of the first one.
Wasn't Spiderman 2 the fastest-selling PS game ever and one of the best selling titles in PS history?

It sold 11M copies in 6 months, whereas SM1 sold 13M in a bit over 12 months.

Last edited:

Rudius

Wasn't Spiderman 2 the fastest-selling PS game ever and one of the best selling titles in PS history?

It sold 11M copies in 6 months, whereas SM1 sold 13M in a bit over 12 months.
Sold well, but not as acclaimed as the first. Similar to God of War. If they keep making it more woke it will come a point when the sales will suffer.

Killjoy-NL

Sold well, but not as acclaimed as the first. Similar to God of War. If they keep making it more woke it will come a point when the sales will suffer.
"Not as acclaimed" is irrelevant, as people tend to only value critics if it fits their agenda.
Moreso when sales show the opposite of what you claimed.

Last edited:

Rudius

"Not as acclaimed" is irrelevant, as people tend to only value critics if it fits their agenda.
Moreso when sales show the opposite of what you claimed.
Come on now. Spiderman Was talked about for years, left a much stronger impression and was basically universally liked. Spiderman 2 is much more divisive.

You can see a similar thing in a game like the Last of Us 2: good, sold well, but not as liked exclusively for the choices in characters and story.

tkscz

Video Game Dance GIF by Naughty Dog

Can we get a new Jak and Daxter game that isn't developed by ND?

And back to Jak and Daxter 1's gameplay. 2 and 3 were good but 1 was the best in the franchise.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Yeah, I remember this part of the investor's call, but these are still just bullet points. Not too much in terms of details they could squeeze on those slides.

Things I'd still like to know from SIE:

-Has the earmarks between GAAS and traditional games been adjusted? Last I saw was 60% GAAS/40% traditional for FY '25; is it now the inverse?​
-How much of the budget for internal production is split between AAA and how much for AA?​
-How many planned releases in that funding window are for existing IP vs new IP?​
-Have plans for ports to platforms like PC or other consoles changed? If so, how?​

Those are some important questions to answer still, IMO.

I'd love answers to all those questions.

Shin-Ra

If only there was a better follow-up game for Astro Bot than Lego Aloy. Despite its PS1/emulator jankiness I’ve been looking more seriously into Ape Escape which I never played. Seems after the initial PS4/5 release the NTSC U/C version was made playable for PAL region players but some trophy unlocks broke in the process. Some time later it was updated again fixing the trophies. Maybe.

Gojiira

Acquire ShiftUp and lockdown Stellar Blade as a IP, I need more Eve and Playstation needs its own DMC/Sekiro type game, just a pure character action game.
Expand Team Asobi and get them on Medieval,Ape Escape and Astrobot. Perfect.
Also maybe a new Tomba game given its a PS IP and its gets remastered entries soon. It could literally become PS’s flagship 2D Platformer.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
There's more stuff in this piece if anyone wants to check it out.
Good to hear. Better to see.

nial

Acquire ShiftUp and lockdown Stellar Blade as a IP, I need more Eve and Playstation needs its own DMC/Sekiro type game, just a pure character action game.
Expand Team Asobi and get them on Medieval,Ape Escape and Astrobot. Perfect.
Also maybe a new Tomba game given its a PS IP and its gets remastered entries soon. It could literally become PS’s flagship 2D Platformer.
Tomba was never a Sony game.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Astro Bot and Lego Horizon Adventures are releasing in a time frame of two months, so you're already seeing it.
I like platformers. Where are the FPSs, puzzle games, fighting games, RPGs, racing games, aerial combat, etc.? That's what I want to see.

At this point in the PS3's lifecycle, we had:

Demon's Souls
MGS4
3D Dot Game Heroes
Heavy Rain
MotorStorm
Resistance 1
Resistance 2
Infamous
LittleBigPlanet
Killzone 2
Heavenly Sword
Tokyo Jungle
Echochrome
Gran Turismo 5
Fat Princess
ModNation Racers
Siren: Blood Curse
Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction
Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time
Uncharted
Uncharted 2
PixelJunk Eden
God of War 3
Warhawk
Folklore
Wipeout HD
MotorStorm: Pacific Drift
Ratchet & Clank Future: Quest for Booty
White Knight Chronicles
Afrika
SOCOM: Seals Confrontation

Even if you don't like all of these games, the sheer diversity of the genres and games that came out in the first four years of the PS3's life takes a giant steaming dump on the PS5's current output. Where are the games? That's what I want to see.

nial

I like platformers. Where are the FPSs, puzzle games, fighting games, RPGs, racing games, aerial combat, etc.? That's what I want to see.

At this point in the PS3's lifecycle, we had:

Demon's Souls
MGS4
3D Dot Game Heroes

Heavy Rain
MotorStorm
Resistance 1
Resistance 2
Infamous
LittleBigPlanet
Killzone 2
Heavenly Sword
Tokyo Jungle
Echochrome
Gran Turismo 5
Fat Princess
ModNation Racers
Siren: Blood Curse
Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction
Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time
Uncharted
Uncharted 2
PixelJunk Eden
God of War 3
Warhawk
Folklore
Wipeout HD
MotorStorm: Pacific Drift
Ratchet & Clank Future: Quest for Booty
White Knight Chronicles
Afrika
SOCOM: Seals Confrontation

Even if you don't like all of these games, the sheer diversity of the genres and games that came out in the first four years of the PS3's life takes a giant steaming dump on the PS5's current output. Where are the games? That's what I want to see.
Bolded are not Sony games, but I see where you're coming from.
That said, PS5 has had (or will have soon) so far:
Astro's Playroom
Astro Bot
Sackboy: A Big Adventure
Ratchet & Clank; Rift Apart
Until Dawn
The Last of Us Part I
Demon's Souls
Rise of the Ronin
Stellar Blade
Lost Soul Aside
God of War Ragnarok
Gran Turismo 7
Returnal
Helldivers 2
Convallaria
Horizon Forbidden West
Lego Horizon Adventures
Spider-Man Miles Morales
Spider-Man 2
A minor nitpick of mine is that you mentioned Tokyo Jungle, a game released in June 2012, which would be June 2026 for PS5's lifecycle.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Bolded are not Sony games, but I see where you're coming from.
That said, PS5 has had (or will have soon) so far:

A minor nitpick of mine is that you mentioned Tokyo Jungle, a game released in June 2012, which would be June 2026 for PS5's lifecycle.
Yes, Tokyo Jungle is my mistake. You can swap it out for Flow, Flower, or White Knight Chronicles 1 & 2 (there were several others I could've mentioned but omitted).

Bolded were not Sony games but were PlayStation exclusives. If we really want to get nitpicky, 11 of the 19 games you mentioned aren't PS5 exclusives.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
PlayStation always had family-friendly games - even in the current PS5 generation that isn't famous for them. It's only a false narrative that they don't.
  • Sackboy (2020)
  • Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart (2021)
  • Astrobot (2024)
  • LEGO Horizons (2024)
These games are just not as popular as Nintendo-titles because Nintendo almost exclusively has family-friendly games, so all that audience is already there on Nintendo.

PlayStation has a bit more variety of first-party games, and the primary PS audience prefers story-driven action-adventure games.

nial

Yes…Yes it was, it was literally published by Sony, only on the PlayStation until the Remaster this year…You could just look shit up first before making dumb replies 😂
Ironic.
Do better research, it was self-published by Whoopee Camp in 1997 in Japan, and then SCEA and SCEE both picked up the game for Western localization next year.
Sony would literally never allow something like the current remasters (on every platform, btw) to happen, ever.

nial

Bolded were not Sony games but were PlayStation exclusives. If we really want to get nitpicky, 11 of the 19 games you mentioned aren't PS5 exclusives.
That's absolutely not relevant since we are specifically talking about PlayStation Studios's output here, which then I rightfully called out the three games on your list that were NOT produced by Sony.

xanaum

Neo Member
I feel like there’s something off with this guy. I can’t see any progress in his management of PlayStation studios compared to the previous heads. Where are the big successful new IPs like in Shuhei Yoshida’s era? Where are the sequels that outdid their predecessors?

How does a guy who ran a studio that never had huge success with Killzone, and only hit it once with Horizon (which wasn’t even PlayStation’s biggest hit), end up becoming such an important boss?

I'd love answers to all those questions.

I read this as "I'd love to answer all those questions" and started thinking "Damn mckmas8808 mckmas8808 goes that deep with SIE?" 🤣

Ironic.
Do better research, it was self-published by Whoopee Camp in 1997 in Japan, and then SCEA and SCEE both picked up the game for Western localization next year.
Sony would literally never allow something like the current remasters (on every platform, btw) to happen, ever.

I think they're calling you out because when people say stuff like "Tomba was never a Sony game" they usually mean it to imply Sony had no involvement in the game's existence whatsoever. Like if someone says that about say Resident Evil 2 or MGS they'd be right; those get called "Sony games" from time to time even though Capcom & Konami specifically handled the dev & publishing of those games themselves.

But Tomba DID have Sony involvement, and they put money into the localization effort plus likely helped Whoopee Camp with some costs and technical assistance for the initial Japanese development.

How does a guy who ran a studio that never had huge success, and only hit it once, end up becoming such an important boss?

Are we talking about Herman Hulst or Phil Spencer?

Last edited:

RyRy93

“Family” games don’t sell in huge numbers anymore unless it’s a Nintendo title, they shouldn’t lose sight of the kind of games that led to them dominating the home console market, they weren’t live service games or family games

nial

I think they're calling you out because when people say stuff like "Tomba was never a Sony game" they usually mean it to imply Sony had no involvement in the game's existence whatsoever.
And that's absolutely correct.
But Tomba DID have Sony involvement, and they put money into the localization effort
Localization does not mean that it's a Sony game by any means. Localization for the original PS1 version of FF7 was handled by Sony as well.
and they put money into the localization effort plus likely helped Whoopee Camp with some costs and technical assistance for the initial Japanese development.
You don't know that, lol.
Plus, that one poster also mentioned that Sony owned the IP, which is 100% false.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
“Family” games don’t sell in huge numbers anymore unless it’s a Nintendo title, they shouldn’t lose sight of the kind of games that led to them dominating the home console market, they weren’t live service games or family games
I assume they mean family like Marvel movies appeal to families.

Top Bottom