• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hermen Hulst: "It's massively important that PlayStation Studios develops games in various genres, the family market is important for us to focus on"

You are talking to a person that seems to have more rows of teeth then rationality lol

Asobi existed before Hermen Hulst took over. Astrobot was already a proven IP, it owes nothing to HH. On the contrary, the surfer shut down Japan Studio and canceled other projects just to spend that money in braindead GaaS which has turned into a sweet black hole in Playstation finances. The appointment of Totoki as CEO is the best evidence of what I'm saying.

So far, HH tenure is a disaster. Bungie, Firewalk, Haven, Neon Koei.... it's one fail after another.

Haven, Bungie and Bend Studios (watch out for this one) will mark his demise. Playstation would save a half a billion if they fired his ass effect immediately.

tmlDan

was. You think I like seeing ads for that shit?
That is the last PS game I wanna see ads for but I saw it the most
they only did digital ads, which is the cheapest compared to all the experiential and TV they did for Astro and the PS Store is all astro themed/animated

tmlDan

Asobi existed before Hermen Hulst took over. Astrobot was already a proven IP, it owes nothing to HH. On the contrary, the surfer shut down Japan Studio and canceled other projects just to spend that money in braindead GaaS which has turned into a sweet black hole in Playstation finances. The appointment of Totoki as CEO is the best evidence of what I'm saying.

So far, HH tenure is a disaster. Bungie, Firewalk, Haven, Neon Koei.... it's one fail after another.

Haven, Bungie and Bend Studios (watch out for this one) will mark his demise. Playstation would save a half a billion if they fired his ass effect immediately.
he just became the CEO, if you're gonna fault someone fault Jim Ryan for the purchases

tmlDan

He says this and yet all their tent pole games are 3rd person, over the shoulder, cinematic action games
Go play Returnal, Go play Astrobot, there are a ton of third party deals they approved that are diff, these constant nonsensical arguments are insane.

They have a variety and want more and instead of allowing it people get mad they do something diff.

It's non-stop with the gaming community, its sad

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
he just became the CEO, if you're gonna fault someone fault Jim Ryan for the purchases

Trust me, I don't think even reads that far to get any of that.

Its hate this and hate that, he will ignore all logic regarding any of this btw. So...you can glance at that post history to see the real reason this person hates him, might have to do with spending 50 pages on a thread crying over a game lol

smh

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/06/02/introducing-team-asobi-creators-of-the-astro-bot-series/

Soooooooo they are growing under him and if he didn't like them, why would they not only still exist ,but be growing and more successful?

So I'm sorry man, we know why you don't like him and it doesn't have shit to do with games.

Added to that ignore man, you seem to be obsessed with this shit lol

Go play Returnal, Go play Astrobot, there are a ton of third party deals they approved that are diff, these constant nonsensical arguments are insane.

They have a variety and want more and instead of allowing it people get mad they do something diff.

It's non-stop with the gaming community, its sad
I specifically said tent pole games. Those you mention aren't tent pole games. Horizon, TLOU, God of War, Spiderman, Ghost of Tsushima are their big franchises and they are all 3rd person cinematic action games.

This constant simping for Sony on this forum is really sad.

Herman, you know what we want..

uncharted-movie-director-reveals-his-next-gig-is-a-jak-and-daxter-film-1644439336373.jpg

Rat Rage

What Hermen Hulst really means by this statement is: "Yo, my "I don't know shit about the video games market but somehow I managed to get paid a high ra
nking management position:):messenger_peace:)"-ass doesn't know any more stupid industry trends to follow, so let's just follow Nintendo's strategy just like we've done so many times in the past - oh and PLEASE DON'T FIRE ME, LOLOLOL!!"

Ya'll remember the time when Nintendo was riduculed with their Wii and how it's nothing more than 2 Gamecubes ductapted together, yet they still managed to win that generation? Like many of us knew, even at the start of the Wii,PS360 era, it was the smartest move of Nintendo to NOT follow the idiotic hardware-power-arms-race and keep on focusing on developing innovative, creative and fun games instead of chasing cinematic high budget walking simulators.

Esecially during the Wii era, having the "weakest" hardware, but relentlessly focusing on producing high quality "video games" (and not cinematic setpiece bullshit like the gaming Industry tried to convince everyone) was Nintendo's biggest strengh. They knew it would only result in a monetarily unsustainable dead end, if they started to chase hyper-realism and "movie experiences".

Yet, years and years later, as the competition literally falls apart because they themselves didn't invest nearly enough money into great, sustainable IP's, but were chasing the next 200 million cinematic setpiece blunder AND - on top - turned almost all of their exicisting IPs into such trash, Sony and MS suddenly realised "DAAYUM, were creatively bankrupt! Chasing industry trends can't help us anymore", so what did SONY and Microsoft do?

Mircrosoft panicked and spend 75 billion on a ridiculously expensive accusition, in order to secure some valuable gaming IPs, whereas Sony continued to focus entirely on their "hardware power" and Playstation branding strengh (yet didn't know where to go and had to sell the PS5's SSD as the MAIN feature), all while Nintendo focused on expaning their internal first party EAD development teams up to 200% by constructing (what?) 2 entirely new EAD main buildings?

I bet Nintendo's like: "who's laughing now, bitches?" :messenger_sunglasses::messenger_horns:

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
During the PS3 era they had so many franchises running at the same time, multiple in the same genre even but each with their own twist.
Now it's almost all the same movie game format.
I hope they can go back to the glory of those times.
The best times for both major consoles

MrRibeye

Aging game developer perspective:
When you start having children, you want to work on family-friendly games, so that you don't have to ask your son to leave the room because your UE5 editor window shows dismembered demons. Plus you might want to work on a game that you can play with your kids and not need to hide from them the games that daddy worked on.

I wonder if that plays into Hermen's decision, even if just too a small degree.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Herman, you know what we want..
uncharted-movie-director-reveals-his-next-gig-is-a-jak-and-daxter-film-1644439336373.jpg

So... not family-friendly games, then?

Because I think your image (from the third game) illustrates the mistake Jak & Daxter made as it went along: it tried to age up with the audience. Partially this was because it was the era of GTA, and being labeled in any way a 'kiddie' product was a strike against it in the core gamer buyer base that most vocally dictated the market trends. Set it in a dystopian cityscape, set it in a barren wasteland, set it in a destruction derby; anywhere but a fanciful world of adventure islands. The franchise did not value itself as a young player's (or a young-at-heart's) first grand PlayStation adventure! And so, as it got more 'aggro', it got away from being inviting, of being enjoyable just to imagine playing.

Like, just looking up J&D to think about writing this post, I actually noticed how out-of-date the 2 and 3 and even LF art felt. It's a lot of Jak scowling while Daxter smirks and the weapon is foregrounded and the art is dark and dour... all very 2000ish "hey kids, this ain't kids stuff!" design. (Tween stuff now is also dark, but it still tries to convey fun or at least mystery, rather than a sense that it's too cool to care if you care about it.) It made me wonder if maybe the franchise's time really had come and gone. But then a shot of J&D1 came up, and it immediately struck me to realize, "Oh yeah, here's something PS could always use more of, plus they could do some cool new PS5ey tech stuff with a world like this..."

5Y7VdRE.jpeg

...I mean, it might still not work if they tried. (Lost Frontier tried to bridge the urban warfare concept with the island exploring and for many reasons it did not succeed.) But when you say, "Herman, you know what we want", the point of him saying PS considers family games important is that they need to not just value "we", the old men reminscing on games from 20 years ago, want.

A new Jak (or whatever else they resurrect from the archives) would have to be something I'd by for my kids first and foremost, and ideally I'd also enjoy playing it myself too. That's what Mario does, that's what Astro Bot is doing, that's what the best family games do.

Last edited:
So... not family-friendly games, then?

Because I think your image (from the third game) illustrates the mistake Jak & Daxter made as it went along: it tried to age up with the audience. Partially this was because it was the era of GTA, and being labeled in any way a 'kiddie' product was a strike against it in the core gamer buyer base that most vocally dictated the market trends. Set it in a dystopian cityscape, set it in a barren wasteland, set it in a destruction derby; anywhere but a fanciful world of adventure islands. The franchise did not value itself as a young player's (or a young-at-heart's) first grand PlayStation adventure! And so, as it got more 'aggro', it got away from being inviting, of being enjoyable just to imagine playing.

Like, just looking up J&D to think about writing this post, I actually noticed how out-of-date the 2 and 3 and even LF art felt. It's a lot of Jak scowling while Daxter smirks and the weapon is foregrounded and the art is dark and dour... all very 2000ish "hey kids, this ain't kids stuff!" design. (Tween stuff now is also dark, but it still tries to convey fun or at least mystery, rather than a sense that it's too cool to care if you care about it.) It made me wonder if maybe the franchise's time really had come and gone. But then a shot of J&D1 came up, and it immediately struck me to realize, "Oh yeah, here's something PS could always use more of, plus they could do some cool new PS5ey tech stuff with a world like this..."

5Y7VdRE.jpeg

...I mean, it might still not work if they tried. (Lost Frontier tried to bridge the urban warfare concept with the island exploring and for many reasons it did not succeed.) But when you say, "Herman, you know what we want", the point of him saying PS considers family games important is that they need to not just value "we", the old men reminscing on games from 20 years ago, want.

A new Jak (or whatever else they resurrect from the archives) would have to be something I'd by for my kids first and foremost, and ideally I'd also enjoy playing it myself too. That's what Mario does, that's what Astro Bot is doing, that's what the best family games do.
They can absolutely achieve this alongside Sly..

CamHostage

They can absolutely achieve this alongside Sly..

Sure, I think there are way to fire up PS fandom by connecting/reconnecting audiences of all ages with proven classic franchises...

But they can't make Jak 4 or whatever other franchise from the vault solely because we the old gamers want the thing we played when we weren't such old cranks to finally come back after 20 years. The legacy of 'more' Jak is less important than the value of the overall Jak concept for all PS games, us included and beyond.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I don't know about this guy. The games Guerilla made while he was there were good, but PlayStation Studios have not been moving in the right direction since he went there. Astro Bot being the exception.

Shin-Ra

Well you're in luck, because GAAS isn't a genre.
Indeed, it’s just shitty carrot-on-stick game design with no ending, endless rebalancing so people that played the game at different times didn’t even play the same game and at the end of it all nobody can play when the service is shut down.

Aging game developer perspective:
When you start having children, you want to work on family-friendly games, so that you don't have to ask your son to leave the room because your UE5 editor window shows dismembered demons. Plus you might want to work on a game that you can play with your kids and not need to hide from them the games that daddy worked on.

I wonder if that plays into Hermen's decision, even if just too a small degree.
is this an adjunct to the 'former shit-kicking protagonist turned sad dad' aging developer phenomenon?...

nial

I specifically said tent pole games. Those you mention aren't tent pole games. Horizon, TLOU, God of War, Spiderman, Ghost of Tsushima are their big franchises and they are all 3rd person cinematic action games.

This constant simping for Sony on this forum is really sad.
Specifically using tentpole games is too convenient for your point, though. But anyway, Gran Turismo and now Astro Bot exist.

nial

Asobi existed before Hermen Hulst took over. On the contrary, the surfer shut down Japan Studio.
Team Asobi was originally formed in 2012 as part of Japan Studio, but formally spun off into an independent studio within Sony's PlayStation Studios in April 2021.
Astrobot was already a proven IP, it owes nothing to HH.
What it definitely owes to Hermen Hulst is the high budget the recently released game received.

I can't see them getting a families & kids audience now, after years of telling them to fuck off elsewhere and a console that costs 500/550+ bucks.
There is definitely a possibility for that to happen, nothing is set in stone. New gamers are born everyday, and the same people who grew up on Playstation games have kids now they can introduce to Playstation, but theres not enough platformers. If Sony can build a slew of high quality family friendly games while still having the majority support from 3rd party devs, that will definitely give them the edge they havent had since the PS2.

CamHostage

New gamers are born everyday, and the same people who grew up on Playstation games have kids now they can introduce to Playstation, but theres not enough platformers. If Sony can build a slew of high quality family friendly games while still having the majority support from 3rd party devs, that will definitely give them the edge they havent had since the PS2.

Maybe, but kids live very, very differently than they were in the PS2 days. Their access to tech and entertainment is on a whole other level. Parents don't need to buy a kid a PlayStation to keep them busy for a few hours.

Concord wasn’t bad because of the genre choice. It was bad because everything about it from concept to execution was inherently flawed and a bad idea, and Sony first party fell flat on it’s face, trend-following.

It should be a cautionary tale, but it’s unlikely any good lessons are learned coming out of this.

Last edited:
I wish E3 was still around because the reception the audience makes from that event is enough to change the direction for console makers and developers like Sony and Microsoft. Proof of this is the overwhelmingly negative reception to the disastrous Xbox One reveal back at E3 2013, and we all know what happened next.

Had E3 still survived to this day and Sony showed off the trailers for Concord and FairGame$ that they've done for their State of Play on Youtube, the HUGE amount of negativity towards these two videos would have been enough to cause Sony to delay these two titles and - rightfully so - quietly cancel them and write them off for tax purposes. Even with E3 dead, players still have the power to move the chess titles in their direction, not out-of-touch suits.
Sony already knows the reception is not favorable from core fans but they still have to secure gaas titles since everyone else has one. The real question here is can Sony sp highly polished titles survive a shift of players loving ftp ? Or Can it be highly profitable without invoking shareholders query of opportunity cost versus other games for ultra profit ?

What Hermen Hulst really means by this statement is: "Yo, my "I don't know shit about the video games market but somehow I managed to get paid a high ra
nking management position:):messenger_peace:)"-ass doesn't know any more stupid industry trends to follow, so let's just follow Nintendo's strategy just like we've done so many times in the past - oh and PLEASE DON'T FIRE ME, LOLOLOL!!"

Ya'll remember the time when Nintendo was riduculed with their Wii and how it's nothing more than 2 Gamecubes ductapted together, yet they still managed to win that generation? Like many of us knew, even at the start of the Wii,PS360 era, it was the smartest move of Nintendo to NOT follow the idiotic hardware-power-arms-race and keep on focusing on developing innovative, creative and fun games instead of chasing cinematic high budget walking simulators.

Esecially during the Wii era, having the "weakest" hardware, but relentlessly focusing on producing high quality "video games" (and not cinematic setpiece bullshit like the gaming Industry tried to convince everyone) was Nintendo's biggest strengh. They knew it would only result in a monetarily unsustainable dead end, if they started to chase hyper-realism and "movie experiences".

Yet, years and years later, as the competition literally falls apart because they themselves didn't invest nearly enough money into great, sustainable IP's, but were chasing the next 200 million cinematic setpiece blunder AND - on top - turned almost all of their exicisting IPs into such trash, Sony and MS suddenly realised "DAAYUM, were creatively bankrupt! Chasing industry trends can't help us anymore", so what did SONY and Microsoft do?

Mircrosoft panicked and spend 75 billion on a ridiculously expensive accusition, in order to secure some valuable gaming IPs, whereas Sony continued to focus entirely on their "hardware power" and Playstation branding strengh (yet didn't know where to go and had to sell the PS5's SSD as the MAIN feature), all while Nintendo focused on expaning their internal first party EAD development teams up to 200% by constructing (what?) 2 entirely new EAD main buildings?

I bet Nintendo's like: "who's laughing now, bitches?" :messenger_sunglasses::messenger_horns:
nice wet dream too bad is far from reality

Can we please get this guy launched into the sun cause honest to cheese and crackers he's starting to stink up the PS business now. No idea why they promoted him in the first place either.

We've got nothing but straight up ass from PS Studios with this guy at the helm and I can't think of a worse generation than this one. If anyone is looking to off their PS5 console, I have some console cleaning tips for you

lmao-crying-laughing.gif

Cyberpunkd

TBH, Nintendo alternates between a hit and a flop, so let’s see how Switch 2 will pan out. You would think it wasn’t that difficult to follow up on the Wii, yet they still managed to fuck it up with the WiiU.

TBH, Nintendo alternates between a hit and a flop, so let’s see how Switch 2 will pan out. You would think it wasn’t that difficult to follow up on the Wii, yet they still managed to fuck it up with the WiiU.
Nintendo's sales record with handhelds is pretty consistent. Unless they fail to distinguish it from its predescessor or their software line-up is very lacking they should sell like hot cakes.

stupid youtube GIF
stupid moron. focus on what's make the brand awesome, great mature games
They should and are focusing on both. The mature, photo realistic games like god of war, take a lot of time. Astrobot, on the other hand, took just 3 years with a much smaller team. By focusing on both, they can still continue to have their tent pole mature games while having games like astrobot fill the gaps that big development cycles of mature games inevitably create. Sony is doing just that. They just need to set up more studios and expand ones like team Asobi in order to have a more consistent flow of releases. They aren't asking SSM or suckerpunch to make family friendly games, they are making new studios or teams for family friendly games

Last edited:
Totally getting an Astro Bot 2 with Ratchet semi retired. Hmm I guess Sucker Punch could do a quick 12 hour Sly Cooper game on the side. I guess Spiderman counts as family friendly. And Horizon too with Aloy being the poster girl of playstation now.
Sorry Ellie and Kratos, market research dictates you both are not hip with the family.

Killjoy-NL

Indeed, it’s just shitty carrot-on-stick game design with no ending, endless rebalancing so people that played the game at different times didn’t even play the same game and at the end of it all nobody can play when the service is shut down.
What's funny is that without Sony's Gaas-strategy, there will be less and less focus on PC releases.

GymWolf

Gold Member
giphy.webp

No thanks, i can survive without kiddy\family games, if you have to make gaas, make them like hd2 and not concord and continue to do what you made during ps4 era, i'm ok with that.

ap_puff

Neo Member
giphy.webp

No thanks, i can survive without kiddy\family games, if you have to make gaas, make them like hd2 and not concord and continue to do what you made during ps4 era, i'm ok with that.
It's important to have both, the reason Nintendo continues to sell well is because they build a strong emotional tie to people when they're kids, then as they age that cohort will continue to buy the remasters when they get older and the working life sucks their souls out and they need to pay in order to feel any sort of emotion again. Hell I'm gonna buy the shit out of the DQ3 remake because that was one of the first games I ever played and I need that nostalgia hit. If Sony only ever makes dramatic 'adult' titles that kids don't care to play about their games will simply stop resonating in 20 years when the current crop of kids grow up since they'll have no emotional attachment to them.

Top Bottom