• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of Newerth |OT| Free-To-Play [PC /Mac /Linux]

Conceptor

thanks for the tips Pro, I'll keep all of those in mind. Good to see you're safe and all.

I like the wave of discussion the boots thing brought forth though.. and a gaf 1vs1 mid ladder? sounds fun

NukeDukem

Banned
Chinese Electric Batman said:
Chinese Electric Bannedman

1294084560574.jpg

I would be interested in the circumstances surrounding his ban status. Now he will stop derailing the thread and posting animu.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
markot said:
Hmm... So you cant play v ai in this game >_<?

Dont like being thrown into the deep end so fast >.>

War3 DotA has an AI map. Of course at this point is is better to just wait for the Dota 2 beta.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Archie said:
War3 DotA has an AI map. Of course at this point is is better to just wait for the Dota 2 beta.
Not really, considering we don't know when the beta is coming or if he will get an invite.

markot

Banned
This game makes Counter strike seem welcoming >_<

Think lol is more my style, hope dota 2 is abit more noob friendly.

So. Instead of porting back you use the monkey? And I dont even know how to pick a class >.>... I just waited till time ran out and got the pyro...

delirium

markot said:
This game makes Counter strike seem welcoming >_<

Think lol is more my style, hope dota 2 is abit more noob friendly.

So. Instead of porting back you use the monkey? And I dont even know how to pick a class >.>... I just waited till time ran out and got the pyro...
There are ports in this game (they can port you to any friendly building). But they cost 135 gold to buy each time.

Meeru

Banned
Conceptor said:
thanks for the tips Pro, I'll keep all of those in mind. Good to see you're safe and all.

I like the wave of discussion the boots thing brought forth though.. and a gaf 1vs1 mid ladder? sounds fun
Gaf 1v1 mid for Dota 2.

Archie said:
Thing is, who even knows whether the beta will have any of the new handholding features Valve says they will be implementing? I'm kind of not counting for those types of features in a beta, unless Valve is further along than we all thought.

It's not just HoN that has a deep learning curve, it's also DotA. No amount of hand holding will remove that entirely, so people need to man up and just dive in if they want to get the hang of it. Otherwise, we'll find out that many people will be wasting the wait for DotA2 when they find what they've been complaining about all along will be present in DotA2.

markot

Banned
Except you are thrown in with people who are so unwelcoming to 'noobs' that you just dont feel like playing again and ruining their fun >_<

At least with lol you can spend as much time as you need on the ai, then move on when you think you have the grasp of it, trying the harder ai or some pvp.

Also, I dont think the user interface and related are that clean and.... well user friendly in hon. Comparing the shops, lol seems to make it all easier and relaxed, where as in hon I felt like I was wasting time trying to read what the hell the stuff was...

FromTheFuture said:
Thing is, who even knows whether the beta will have any of the new handholding features Valve says they will be implementing? I'm kind of not counting for those types of features in a beta, unless Valve is further along than we all thought.

It's not just HoN that has a deep learning curve, it's also DotA. No amount of hand holding will remove that entirely, so people need to man up and just dive in if they want to get the hang of it. Otherwise, we'll find out that many people will be wasting the wait for DotA2 when they find what they've been complaining about all along will be present in DotA2.
Not necessarily. Someone just has to figure out a way to match new players against new players, and weed out smurfs. S2's answer to this is horrendous why does s2 drop new players into the 1500s against people who already understand the game? The learning curve itself isn't the problem, it's being put into teams with and against players who are extremely far ahead of you on that curve.

Basically something similar to the way SC2 ladder works, but better.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Would SC2's ladder be feasible in a 5v5 game, though? I haven't played SC2 outside of the demo so I am asking an honest question.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Archie said:
Would SC2's ladder be feasible in a 5v5 game, though? I haven't played SC2 outside of the demo so I am asking an honest question.
SC2 has 2v2, 3v3 and 4v4 team ladders as well, so yes. For PUG HoN matchmaking just pair up 'bronze' against 'bronze'.

mrbagdt

when you win games, your psr/mmr goes up. when you lose games, your psr/mmr goes down. i dont understand a better sytem than that, unless you did psr/mmr specific to solo queue instead of with a group (i believe LoL does this?).

when you're dealing with a group of 10 people, i think making the games smurf free, rager free, basically all those negative things people refer to, i just dont see how that can be a reasonable expectation.

Ikuu

Pretty sure the SC Ladder doesn't work as well in team games as it does with 1v1, HoN just needs to stop throwing people in at 1500. Also playing AI over and over isn't going to teach you all that much, and you're going to get crushed when you play people.

markot

Banned
>.<

I played like 10ish games against the ai in lol, then I went into a pvp game, a 3v3 one, and I came out on top and lead the team to victory!!!!!!!

It just gives you a chance to understand the basics of teh game, what to buy, what the spells do and how best to use them... etc...

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Ikuu said:
Pretty sure the SC Ladder doesn't work as well in team games as it does with 1v1, HoN just needs to stop throwing people in at 1500. Also playing AI over and over isn't going to teach you all that much, and you're going to get crushed when you play people.
It'll teach you what your skills do, and give you a comfortable place to try heroes, which is more than HoN has ever tried to do.

Ikuu

Nothing stopping you from going into practice and spawning some heroes to test your skills, still it's one thing playing bots and another playing people.

markot

Banned
Something really annoys me about this game too.

658378-s2_logo_large.jpg

Is their logo a side on shot, or a semi side on shot >_<?!

Is it a cyclops thingy and those two triangles are the nose? Or is a side shot with one squinty eye?!

delirium

Morokh said:
I started playing League of Legends recently, and was wondering, what are the big differences between the two games ?
Since HoN went f2p, both games now have you buy heroes (unless you have a legacy account) which you can spend money on or grind through playing games. However, there are no runes which you have to buy in HoN, so you can spend all your coins on heroes.

As for gameplay, the best way I can describe it is more hardcore. Heroes spells do more damage at every level. Heroes have less health. Every hero has mana. Stuns and CC last longer. No summoner spells. There are a lot more active items.

Meeru

Banned
Morokh said:
I started playing League of Legends recently, and was wondering, what are the big differences between the two games ?
Well, from the words of a pro player who went to play LoL and got #1 solo rank in 3 months:
I'm glad I got to try League of Bads, now all my arguments vs LoL will be valid. Well made casual game, donkeyshit competitive game. There is only one way this game can be played at top level and that is passive farm-lane-entire-game, with its metagame heavily reliant on a stupid free blink that probably plagued that game since the beginning of time.

If you want to play a casual game, go LoL.

If you want to transition to Dota 2, play HoN.

markot said:
Something really annoys me about this game too.

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/2891/658378-s2_logo_large.jpg[IMG]

Is their logo a side on shot, or a semi side on shot >_<?!

Is it a cyclops thingy and those two triangles are the nose? Or is a side shot with one squinty eye?![/QUOTE]
what

kagete

Are you on mumble?

There is a BIOS setting you can set, usually called "Boot Order" or "Boot priority".

usually this screen will have 2-3 options you can fill out. Make sure the first one is set to your dvd and the second to your hard disk.

Actually, you really just need to make sure your harddisk appears anywhere in that Boot list.

kagete

Reboot your PC.

then start spamming the DELETE to get into the BIOS/UEFI.

that stuff is fancier nowadays so you can use your mouse in the GUI.

You have an MSI mobo right? go to SETTINGS and then BOOT.

There well be a Boot Option Priorities section.
Set your DVD drive to Boot Option #1 and your harddisk to Boot Option #2. I forgot if your hard disk was a seagate or western digital, just make sure its selected as a possible boot option.

When you exit the BIOS/UEFI just make sure that you SAVE your changes and then just reboot.

Meeru

Banned
When you reboot spam delete and f11 till you get into bios..there's a boot priroity tab

Did puppet get a new computer?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Anbokr said:
Looks awesome. Sign up so we can group play people!!!

Is that really for us though? We don't really play HoN all that casually (or do we?).

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Tomat said:
Is that really for us though? We don't really play HoN all that casually (or do we?).

Casually just means not on a sponsored team/pro, but even then they just throw out the term casual, because even the super pros can sign up if they want to. It's just something every HoN player, sponsored or not, 2000 mmr or not, can participate in.

And we do play casually in non-tmm games to be honest, most people just pick practice heroes and goof off. TMM is where the serious business is.

Top Bottom