• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of Newerth |OT| Free-To-Play [PC /Mac /Linux]

Kapura

Banned
Nome said:
I wasn't referring to anyone, just in general. I just disagree with the notion that someone that's a fan of the genre should have precedence over a new player.
but for a closed beta, you want bodies online. I doubt new kids will play as much as somebody invested in the game

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Kapura said:
but for a closed beta, you want bodies online. I doubt new kids will play as much as somebody invested in the game

Doesn't technically mean they can't offer new insight/input for the genre.

/nome bootlicker

Meeru

Banned
Kapura said:
That's true. You will have a better chance having a veteran playtest your game with useful feedback than someone who never played a dota like game before. For them there's open beta.

Nome

Meeru said:
That's true. You will have a better chance having a veteran playtest your game with useful feedback than someone who never played a dota like game before. For them there's open beta.
The thing is, the people who best fit this criteria are already in the beta :p

Tomat

Nome said:
The thing is, the people who best fit this criteria are already in the beta :p

Are you implying HoNGAF isn't fit for giving out good advice?!

markot

Banned
Also... why test around the pros though >.<? If you want any level of noob friendlyness, you need the feedback of noobs!

The community for this game will be very varied in skill level, lots of new comers to the genre even, so why restrict testing to pros? I dont know, doesnt make much sense to me.

Its like beta tests that want beta testers who have beta tested tonnes of mmo betas for instance. Their feedback may not be what the game needs then, or in the future looking forward >.>

Guesong

Just stopping by to say you guys are warming my heart.

Issue still not decided yet, but I'm glad HonGAF showed up.

Didn't count make a precise count of all votes for all the participants so far, but gut instinct tell me we need more people. Pro, did you revote? Not sure if votes from last thread carry over, better check on that.

Someone get Meeru to vote!

However if I lose by 1 vote I swear I'll find out where you live Tomat and end you <3

bzm

markot said:
Also... why test around the pros though >.<? If you want any level of noob friendlyness, you need the feedback of noobs!

The community for this game will be very varied in skill level, lots of new comers to the genre even, so why restrict testing to pros? I dont know, doesnt make much sense to me.

Its like beta tests that want beta testers who have beta tested tonnes of mmo betas for instance. Their feedback may not be what the game needs then, or in the future looking forward >.>
pros know how the game works, so they pick up on shit that needs fixed that noobs wouldnt pick up on. If it was just noobs in the beta, all the feedback you would hear is JUGGERNAUT IS SO OP OMG THAT SPIN ONE SHOTS ME OMG NERF THAT HER O HES STO DUM{P

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The thing is, there are already pros in the beta. Icefrog's super beta team was probably some of the first people inside, and then they had all the international teams practicing with the game for months.

Anyway you get those kind of idiots even if you limit your selection pool to longtime DOTA players, the community is infamous for it.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Looks like the one of the worst entries is going to win the Dota2 key contest, seems not only is he prepared to give out games he's got someone PMing people to vote for him also :lol

markot

Banned
Ikuu said:
Looks like the one of the worst entries is going to win the Dota2 key contest, seems not only is he prepared to give out games he's got someone PMing people to vote for him also :lol
>.<

lol

Guesong

Sunday morning, 7 hours before that DotA2 deadline, and a surge in favor of Goon Boon and the other dude who paid people.

Disheartening. Most of HonGAF voted by now, and then some more due to Sanjay's connections I assume. What's the tally? Not very optimistic atm.

Valygar

It's a shame I didnt see the thread before, I think my "free entry" is pretty cool. Let's hope Icefrog likes the thread and gives plenty more keys, specially to people from HoN-gaf and the people who actually made an effort in the contest.

Ikuu

The easiest way to get yourself a key is to email IceFrog and say you're from some website that hasn't given keys out and ask for them. He gave the person on GAF keys and he was just a random person. Best to use forums or somewhere that you can give them out legitimately though, like Reddit.

Meeru

Banned
JoeMartin said:
Why have I not found Flux until now.

What a good fucking hero. There's a lot of heroes I'm gonna miss come dota 2.

((((((
And you'll love the ones that have returned from Dota

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
perryfarrell said:
^ You should let your submission do the talking, dude.

Because you wouldn't ever ask your friends to vote for your submission, right?

So this Spookie guy says he'll give a game to everyone that votes for him, retracts statement after voting is closed and isn't going to get dqed?

Taking scumbag to new levels.

And my re-vote is on page 2 guesong.

Guesong

Procarbine said:
Because you wouldn't ever ask your friends to vote for your submission, right?

So this Spookie guy says he'll give a game to everyone that votes for him, retracts statement after voting is closed and isn't going to get dqed?

Taking scumbag to new levels.

And my re-vote is on page 2 guesong.

Eh don't get angry, voting is over now anyways.

If you have an idea for my dinner tonight, let me know, I'm so hungry.

Guesong

I made a wonderful carrot stew! Scent was so good that pro and Swag asked to have a bowl tonight.

In the event that I'm not here (like pretty much the next 2 days), do ask them if you want a bowl of carrot stew, I'm sure they'll be co-operative.

(On another note, can't say I like the carrot right now. It's a bit slow and clunky atm imho, so it definitively need more fertilizer, especially compared to this honorable apple which I plucked from the tree!)

JoeMartin

Guesong said:
(On another note, can't say I like the carrot right now. It's a bit slow and clunky atm imho, so it definitively need more fertilizer, especially compared to this honorable apple which I plucked from the tree!)

Pretty much what I've expected from all the streams I've been watching of it.

Don't get me wrong, I love dota and that's what brought me to hon, but after all the niceties S2 has added (even despite all the EW to even it out) I don't even know that I'll prefer dota2 to hon come launch at this rate. Not to mention the enormous amount of use I get out of Grimm's Crossing for 2's and 3's with my friends. Let's just hope hon keeps a healthy community as well.

Dreavus

JoeMartin said:
Pretty much what I've expected from all the streams I've been watching of it.

Don't get me wrong, I love dota and that's what brought me to hon, but after all the niceties S2 has added (even despite all the EW to even it out) I don't even know that I'll prefer dota2 to hon come launch at this rate. Not to mention the enormous amount of use I get out of Grimm's Crossing for 2's and 3's with my friends. Let's just hope hon keeps a healthy community as well.

Every time I play Grimm's Crossing, I always wish the community would be more interested in having more of a larger map pool to play with, instead of the grand total of one (1) that we have now. I know the map is core to the game, but the maps on say... Starcraft, for example, are pretty important too. And you don't see that game staying with a single map, even for competitions.

I don't think I have ever played HoN's other map... Watchtower, I think it was called?

I suppose the mythical map editor not coming out yet might have something to do with this too.

Swag

Just finished with the Carrot.

Edit: Seems like Europeans will need a code to log in as it's prompting Steam Guard, tried to give to Ikuu but he couldn't log in.
Nome said:
Enjoy your Doombringer!
Every single game, that and Anti Mage. Also the DOTA 2 client is night and day in performance comparison to the HoN client.

Guesong

Just entrusted Swag with my excellent carrot stew recipe.

He now have all the ingredients to make it for anyone should I not be there to give them to you.

No worries Ikuu, your stew is coming!

Ikuu

Cool, looks like we might need it for everyone though, tried using a US VPN and still had issues.

Swag

kk Details successfully passed onto Ikuu.

So far enjoying the game, even though it doesn't have pauses and only has 20 heroes. Honestly though, it's just like I'm playing HoN, skills carry over so well, biggest hurdle is just getting over the new binds and animations.

Meeru said:
dbx_5 jebus hes bad
Farmed all game didn't wanna push GG. Our ES though not having a Blink Dagger at 35 minutes was kinda embarrassing though, had FF bottom too.

Tomat

Meeru said:
47 or so you mean.
He's talking about current pool.

Meeru said:
Which is 47 heroes right now.
Looks like they added a hell of a lot more than I thought they did. Just checked the pool again and there is 40+. Swag confirmed for EXAGGERATIONS.

Valygar

Ikuu said:
The easiest way to get yourself a key is to email IceFrog and say you're from some website that hasn't given keys out and ask for them. He gave the person on GAF keys and he was just a random person. Best to use forums or somewhere that you can give them out legitimately though, like Reddit.

I'm trying that. Not going to happen, but it would be great. Anyway, open beta is probably not far in the future.

Guesong

Ikuu said:
Dota2 is so good

If DOTA2 released today with a completed hero pool... think I'd still prefer HoN tbh. Get rid of the huge interface, get rid of the camera who seems to be on ice, then maybe. And even then its still slower than HoNn which is a bad and good thing.

Guesong said:
Good thinking! I was wondering what to name my carrot stew, looks like I'll name it DoTA2!

In more seriousness now, as it stands, if DOTA2 released today with a completed hero pool... I think I'd still prefer HoN tbh. Get rid of the huge interface, get rid of the camera who seems to be on ice, then maybe. And even then its still slower than HoNn which is a bad and good thing.

I think it'd be interesting to see how HoNGAF plays out the release of DOTA 2. Will it be just Neki 2 weeks later yelling "YO LETS GO PLAY SOME DOTA2"? Or will people really take to the game? In any case - the sooner they release the better as there are a lot of triple A titles coming out soon. As of now I'm pretty taken with HoN and hope season 2 of the IHL goes as well as it did last night :)

Ikuu said:
lol he didnt just randomly give me keys, we actually had a very long talk

Just to warn you guys account sharing will get your account banned.

Since I was a "random" guy asking him for keys I happened to get Artanisix a key today :D

Top Bottom