• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of Newerth |OT| Free-To-Play [PC /Mac /Linux]

Kapura

Banned
the bad thing about the trueskill algorithm is when people KNOW it's being used and they can't affect their rating as much, they tend to play less. It also fails to take into account changes of skill over the course of the rating period. If there were enough games being played to support shorter season (2 weeks to a month) i would like it more.

delirium

bzm said:
are you holding kfactor constant or changing it when people fall outside of some number of standard deviations?
For the old Elo formula, the KFactor is at a constant 32.
The Gaussian's KFactor is based on your rating. FIDE (World Chess Federation) changes their KFactor based on how many games you play and your rating. It should change based on your rating and how many games you play, but right now it just lowers itself if your rating is >2400. Probably need to add that, but I doubt it would change a person's rating by that much.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Hm, so I just need to beat Insured to get 1st on all 3 ratings.

I'm okay with this, bring on whatever change you want.

delirium

Kapura said:
the bad thing about the trueskill algorithm is when people KNOW it's being used and they can't affect their rating as much, they tend to play less. It also fails to take into account changes of skill over the course of the rating period. If there were enough games being played to support shorter season (2 weeks to a month) i would like it more.
Not necessarily. It would be true if TrueSkill just uses the mean (μ) as the score. It doesn't. It uses a "conservative skill estimate" that uses the 1% lower quantile of the graph. A lower standard deviation (σ) lowers your TrueSkill score since the formula is μ - 3 * σ.

bzm

Kapura said:
[cornypun]Once you go Dirac you don't go back[/cornypun] ?

delirium

Kapura said:
i was under the impression that as trueskill progressed, sigma decreased and only decreased.
Yes, but all that means is that the algorithm has more data to estimate your skill rating. Ergo, playing more games = skinnier graph.

Kapura

Banned
Yeah, so the graph becomes more certain. That means that if you started playing in the league, played 50 games and then learned how to ward, orbwalk, and land skillshots, you couldn't move up to players closer to your skill level. If we didn't have as many new palyers, or if the game didn't change so often, or if the seasons were shorter, I'd be more down to use trueskill.

delirium

Kapura said:
Yeah, so the graph becomes more certain. That means that if you started playing in the league, played 50 games and then learned how to ward, orbwalk, and land skillshots, you couldn't move up to players closer to your skill level. If we didn't have as many new palyers, or if the game didn't change so often, or if the seasons were shorter, I'd be more down to use trueskill.
How many "fresh off the boat" players do we have though? As for taking longer to increase your skill after the first initial games, that's just modelling the fact that skill growth takes time. It isn't instantaneous.

bzm

delirium said:
How many "fresh off the boat" players do we have though? As for taking longer to increase your skill after the first initial games, that's just modelling the fact that skill growth takes time. It isn't instantaneous.
I would lump like 90% of the 'learning tier' players into a fresh off the boat category

Kapura

Banned
delirium said:
I know growth isn't instantaneous, but some of the growing occurs outside of the data set. People playing like 2 games in tmm for every 1 game in league (conservative) will do a lot of growing outside of the league. I was talking to bzm, and I like trueskill in other situations but not here :(

delirium

I think Kapura thinks that sigma growth is linear or something. It's not. It's based on several factor (including the "fair" the match is) and is bounded.

EDIT: Apparently there is TrueSkill alternative that Microsoft published. TrueSkill Through Time (paper: http://research.microsoft.com/pubs/74417/NIPS2007_0931.pdf) factors later scores back into earlier calculators. I'm still reading through it, but it might address your problems with the algorithm Kapura.

bzm

delirium said:
I think Kapura thinks that sigma growth is linear or something. It's not. It's based on several factor (including the "fair" the match is) and is bounded.
either way i still think elo is a better system for what were doing. Why the interest in changing it anyway? Was there some problem people had with the current system?

Kapura

Banned
no i understand that the variables change at varying rates, but I was just pointing out problems i have with trueskill in a generalised sense.

delirium

Kapura said:
no i understand that the variables change at varying rates, but I was just pointing out problems i have with trueskill in a generalised sense.
so your problem is that its longer for new players to improve their skill once they play a lot of games?

Haly

This is nerdier than 4 man cheeseganks on mid.

Kapura

Banned
delirium said:
so your problem is that its longer for new players to improve their skill once they play a lot of games?
kinda, yeah. It locks people down a lot. I really like it when it's being used to rate players of similar skill level, but not across broad swaths of the palyerbase. The alternative is using shorter periods of data collection, so people would be ranked where they play over a two-week period because let's face it, there can be a lot more variation in two months.

Haly

delirium said:
Nerdier than the daily kpop wankfest?
Yes. Much nerdier.

In terms of high school cliques, this would be like comparing the aznpride groups to the (white) math/comp nerds.

delirium

Kapura said:
kinda, yeah. It locks people down a lot. I really like it when it's being used to rate players of similar skill level, but not across broad swaths of the palyerbase. The alternative is using shorter periods of data collection, so people would be ranked where they play over a two-week period because let's face it, there can be a lot more variation in two months.
Doesn't that make sense though? Skills just don't show up one day, a few good games doesn't mean that you're better, playing good steadily over a decent amount of games does.

Halycon said:
Yes. Much nerdier.

In terms of high school cliques, this would be like comparing the aznpride groups to the (white) math/comp nerds.
I would rather compare the kpop wankfest group to the weeaboos if they were a high school clique.

bzm

Halycon said:
Yes. Much nerdier.

There were fucking plenty of azn math/comp nerds where i went to school son. And i think taking an interest in math is much better than having a plastic waifu PCE

Haly

delirium said:
I would rather compare the kpop wankfest group to the weeaboos if they were a high school clique.
Weeaboos are primarily 2D.
There were fucking plenty of azn math/comp nerds where i went to school son. And i think taking an interest in math is much better than having a plastic waifu PCE
Yeah true I guess, the groups overlap a lot. Just like how groups from both sides play HoN!

HoN is clearly a microcosm of high school life.

(I never said it wasn't, I just said it was nerdier.)

Kapura

Banned
delirium said:
Doesn't that make sense though? Skills just don't show up one day, a few good games doesn't mean that you're better, playing good steadily over a decent amount of games does.
Again though, I feel a bunch of the players are going to improve significantly over the next few months. I mean, go ahead and keep tracking it but i don't think that a season of this length with this much variation in player skill (legit 1300s [bzm] to legit 1900s [thor]) is the right place to apply it. Maybe we can take another look at the numbers in a month and decide which feels the most right.

bzm

Kapura said:
Again though, I feel a bunch of the players are going to improve significantly over the next few months. I mean, go ahead and keep tracking it but i don't think that a season of this length with this much variation in player skill (legit 100s [kapura] to legit 1900s [thor]) is the right place to apply it. Maybe we can take another look at the numbers in a month and decide which feels the most right.
fixed that for you bro. u so bad u 600mmr below the zero point

oc

peanutbutterchocolate
StickSoldier said:
Got to ask, how the fuck are you supposed to beat Amun Ra? I can't figure out how to win against a team that has him.

Void talisman, headdress/idol and some form of CC.

Sanjay

StickSoldier said:
Got to ask, how the fuck are you supposed to beat Amun Ra? I can't figure out how to win against a team that has him.

Slither destroys him, Magebane manaburns him and I think MOA would do well with a Nullfire Blade using red gun.

Well I just faced him 3 times in a row after winning 8 straight, and lost 2 of the 3 because of Ra. Luckily the last game the Ra wasn't any good.

Swag

StickSoldier said:
Well I just faced him 3 times in a row after winning 8 straight, and lost 2 of the 3 because of Ra. Luckily the last game the Ra wasn't any good.
Anything that can kite him wins, Slither, Hag, Frostwolf Skull.

Easiest way to counter is, pick hag, and make Frostwolf Skull, he won't be able to get close to your team unless they have a Behemoth, Tempest, or Keeper, also you'll force him to go PK in order to initiate.

Haly

Ra has two ways of putting you on the clock.

1) Ganks. His ganking power is amazing and with a dedicated healer he can do it nonstop
2) Farming. Once he gets certain items he can farm nonstop.

Your only two options, without resorting to counter picks, is basically to counter-gank him or try to finish the game quickly.

Both Magebane and Witchdoctor hard counter him. Soft counters include anyone with a very long disable, or someone who can kite.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Void talisman isn't the best idea, shrunken head is much more beneficial. You just have to slow/disable him and leave him for last in team fights. His resurrect won't matter as long as you have some disable when he respawns.

I find that Ra plateaus really fast. Early-mid game he's pretty much unstoppable if he has sufficient farm, but once the other team gets defensive items (Bulwark/Barrier/Shrunken) and ignore him in team fights, his power drops off considerably.

Top Bottom