• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of Newerth |OT| Free-To-Play [PC /Mac /Linux]

delirium

BF3 has its issue, but you guys have to remember that BF2 and BC2 had its launch issues too. I'm not going to say BF3 is a perfect game, but some of you guys might be remembering the older games with rose tinted glasses.

bzm

Ultimoo said:
nah, it'd be fun!
yeah doesnt have to count for stats.
id like to see some other modes like wtf mode or whatever it was called in dota, sounded fun
And wasnt idejder working on an all mid map anyway?

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
bzm said:
yeah doesnt have to count for stats.
id like to see some other modes like wtf mode or whatever it was called in dota, sounded fun
And wasnt idejder working on an all mid map anyway?

Seriously, warcraft 3 was awesome because of it's insane moddability. Just take a game with the HoN engine, give modders some tools; and look at all the awesome maps/modes that are created through a hero-based game. HoN would be the only game you'd ever need to buy if you can log on and play DotA, tower defense, pudge wars, mid wars, and modes like angel arena or WoW arena (anyone play that mod in warcraft 3? It was pretty awesome). There were also a bunch of stuff like DBZ maps that were great fun. Is HoN closed off of modding because of security issues or stats or something?

If modding isn't possible, some new s2 game modes would be awesome--they can make their own tower defense or "battlegrounds."

Sanjay

delirium said:
BF3 has its issue, but you guys have to remember that BF2 and BC2 had its launch issues too. I'm not going to say BF3 is a perfect game, but some of you guys might be remembering the older games with rose tinted glasses.

Pretty much.

I think people forgot how bad BC2 was on launch day and how good it ended up after countless patches to get it right and BF2 was pretty bad too.

Also to note you can toggle the flashlight and red dot sights, press T I believe. As bad as the flashlight are, it is a great tool to run into to a tunnel and blind campers. My only gripe so far is with balance issue with the maps. Sometimes the player count is too much 64 for the narrow maps where you get choke points of countless rockets, like you do in TF2 but with that game its more acceptable as you have tools around that but not so much with BF3. Going to try out 32 map size count on them type of maps see how it fares.

They also need to fix the random crashes and rubber banding lag that you get now and then.

Phandy

MrMister said:
All this talk is making me glad I didn't buy BF3 because of Origin, now I see the core game is horribly designed.

Personally I'm finding that the core game is actually the best its ever been for a battlefield.
Its just plagued by lots of small shitty designs decisions, BUT its the kind of stuff that can be fixed.

Shooting/netcode/gunplay is the best it has ever been by a country mile. (Ever BF game has HUGGGE problems at launch with this).
The big maps are good and play well, 64 player conquest. I'm guessing the linear maps play well on 32 player Rush.

- Its just the shitty stuff, like Anti-tank being useless.
- Helicopters and Jets, and somewhat tanks have been nerfed so much against infantry (especially when you have to unlock anything useful, ie alternate fire) - they have NO presence on the ground. Planes simply don't matter to infantry, and hardly much to vehicles either.
- The terrible flashlight/lasers.
- The shitty interface and squad system.
- Crashing, lag, and problems specific to people, the usual bugs people get.

But I think largely, a lot of its problems are fixable.
Just wait for Back to Karkand, and ALL WILL BE GLORIOUS.

Phandy

Ikuu said:
They're so going to fuck up Back to Karkand and change the maps about.

I refuse to believe they can fuck it up.
Karkand is one of the greatest MP maps ever made, they should know this, and not change it.

(GOD I HOPE THEY DONT SCREW IT UP)

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Reformatted today because my comp was shitting the bed (system restore didn't help).

Guess I'm done with RIFT. Don't feel like re-downloading it.

bzm

Anbokr said:
Seriously, warcraft 3 was awesome because of it's insane moddability. Just take a game with the HoN engine, give modders some tools; and look at all the awesome maps/modes that are created through a hero-based game. HoN would be the only game you'd ever need to buy if you can log on and play DotA, tower defense, pudge wars, mid wars, and modes like angel arena or WoW arena (anyone play that mod in warcraft 3? It was pretty awesome). There were also a bunch of stuff like DBZ maps that were great fun. Is HoN closed off of modding because of security issues or stats or something?

If modding isn't possible, some new s2 game modes would be awesome--they can make their own tower defense or "battlegrounds."
If I remember correctly, the map editor is actually out to the public but theres no way to upload any maps to the game servers so that others can play it?

Phandy

Tomat said:
Reformatted today because my comp was shitting the bed (system restore didn't help).

Guess I'm done with RIFT. Don't feel like re-downloading it.

And I JUST got to level 15, Tomat. Son, I am disappoint.

(as a helpful sidenote, dont forget to unsubscribe so they dont charge you)

Tomat

Phandy said:
And I JUST got to level 15, Tomat. Son, I am disappoint.

(as a helpful sidenote, dont forget to unsubscribe so they dont charge you)

I did, thanks. I may re-download it tomorrow or Tuesday, so I'll let you know if I do.

Card Boy

Banned
Don't ask me why but i watched moonmeader's stream last night. Man i had a good laugh, what a excellent player and troll that guy is. I can't decide whether he or Chu is better.

Swag

Gez said:
Don't ask me why but i watched moonmeader's stream last night. Man i had a good laugh, what a excellent player and troll that guy is. I can't decide whether he or Chu is better.
Moonmeander stream is second to none when he is doing his late night drunken antics, only thing that comes close is when Chu goes into serious mode and plays against suitable opponents. Testie stream most boring, just a rice fest. JoshP stream probably third cause he rotates viewers into the TMM group.

bzm

Yo moons stream is legit. For me at least, stream precedence is as follows:
Rycho's (not like its ever fucking on)
Moon
h4nn1
JAHCAST
Cardinal or Tralf
Testie (if queued 1900+)
Yoda
Joshp (sorry but jenny is like -1000points)
Testie (if playing 1500s)

Chustream is on boycott right now, same with melonzz's

Nome

delirium said:
I'd prefer if they were just "launch" issues. Instead, they're deep-rooted design issues.

I mean, what kind of FPS game doesn't give you any time to say GG at the end of a game? Small thing, but seriously... who forgets this?

Tomat

Nome said:
I'd prefer if they were just "launch" issues. Instead, they're deep-rooted design issues.

I mean, what kind of FPS game doesn't give you any time to say GG at the end of a game? Small thing, but seriously... who forgets this?

I know it's just an example, but does that really bug you? On top of all the issues the game has I don't really consider that one that bugs me.

bzm

Ultimoo said:
anbokr is a mini testie though.

when I want to see a better version of anbokr, I watch testie, amirite?
cept testie can micro

edit: just saw this on /v/
qb3RC.jpg

Swag

Everytime someone knocks on his door for candy, he needs to say "Too bad it's me Blacksmith" in a leprechaun outfit.

Nome

Tomat said:
I know it's just an example, but does that really bug you? On top of all the issues the game has I don't really consider that one that bugs me.
Quick list of stuff that annoys me that I haven't really mentioned yet... none of these in particular irks me heavily (other than interface stuff), but the combination of all of it makes me want to puke.

-Overuse of lens flare (are you looking from the player's perspective or are you looking from a camera?)
-"Realistic" lighting means that if you are close to a light source, the world around you looks darker. Sit next to a burning truck to see what I mean.
-Giant "FIND A SQUAD/LEAVE SQUAD" button... TINY little "join" button way in the bottom for manual squad joining that only appears if a squad is public and you've clicked on it
-On the deploy screen, impossible to tell which squad members can be deployed on. For example, if both squad members are in the same tank, you can't spawn on them. But the game doesn't tell you that. At least change the player's name color, ffs.
-The deploy screen minimap doesn't encompass the entire map. Specifically, players that spawn at RU/US deployment on some maps don't appear on that minimap. And because it's so tiny and DICE decided that using close shades of green and teal was the best way to display it, sometimes you think you're spawning on an ally in a good position, but in fact that was a separate squad member, and the one you spawned on was actually OFF the minimap.
-Unclear unlock names. What does "COVR" mean? "SUPR"? Is it that hard to actually spell it out?
-Awful vehicle damage modeling.
-No indicator for when you're about to lose. I think there's some very soft music that plays when you're about to win though. It's extremely anti-climatic either way... screen goes black then "YOU WIN/YOU LOSE" screen. Most of the time if I'm not paying attention to the score, I end up thinking my game just crashed/froze.
-Completely awful interface that makes changing a single attachment on your gun require at LEAST 5 clicks, more if you have a lot of attachments unlocked. Inability to save loadouts means if you want any sort of flexibility you are forced to navigate menus.

In almost every facet of this game, beauty is given precedence over function. It's a disaster.

late edit:
Bugs = unintended issues.
Poor design = someone sat there, came up with a bad idea, and thought it was a good idea.

So is Electrician a good hero for high level games? I'm pretty low mmr (around 1450) but I'm 20-13 when I play as Elec, so while I'm not close to high mmr matches, I still want to get good with a hero that is actually worthwhile in higher skilled games.

Neckbeard

StickSoldier said:
So is Electrician a good hero for high level games? I'm pretty low mmr (around 1450) but I'm 20-13 when I play as Elec, so while I'm not close to high mmr matches, I still want to get good with a hero that is actually worthwhile in higher skilled games.

Yup. He's a great 1v2 hero, decent 1v1 and fantastic ganker/initiator/tanky presence.

StickSoldier said:
I wouldn't say he's particularly amazing in high level games, but if you know what you're doing he can be quite a strong hero. You won't find him a ton, but he's kind of a niche hero that you might see from time to time in high level matches.

Neckbeard

FromTheFuture said:
I wouldn't say he's particularly amazing in high level games, but if you know what you're doing he can be quite a strong hero. You won't find him a ton, but he's kind of a niche hero that you might see from time to time in high level matches.

Have you been watching the NASL? He is picked in more than half the games. In fact, I am watching a match right now in which he was banned.

IceMarker

Nome said:
Quick list of stuff that annoys me that I haven't really mentioned yet... none of these in particular irks me heavily (other than interface stuff), but the combination of all of it makes me want to puke.

-Overuse of lens flare (are you looking from the player's perspective or are you looking from a camera?)
-"Realistic" lighting means that if you are close to a light source, the world around you looks darker. Sit next to a burning truck to see what I mean.
-Giant "FIND A SQUAD/LEAVE SQUAD" button... TINY little "join" button way in the bottom for manual squad joining that only appears if a squad is public and you've clicked on it
-On the deploy screen, impossible to tell which squad members can be deployed on. For example, if both squad members are in the same tank, you can't spawn on them. But the game doesn't tell you that. At least change the player's name color, ffs.
-The deploy screen minimap doesn't encompass the entire map. Specifically, players that spawn at RU/US deployment on some maps don't appear on that minimap. And because it's so tiny and DICE decided that using close shades of green and teal was the best way to display it, sometimes you think you're spawning on an ally in a good position, but in fact that was a separate squad member, and the one you spawned on was actually OFF the minimap.
-Unclear unlock names. What does "COVR" mean? "SUPR"? Is it that hard to actually spell it out?
-Awful vehicle damage modeling.
-No indicator for when you're about to lose. I think there's some very soft music that plays when you're about to win though. It's extremely anti-climatic either way... screen goes black then "YOU WIN/YOU LOSE" screen. Most of the time if I'm not paying attention to the score, I end up thinking my game just crashed/froze.
-Completely awful interface that makes changing a single attachment on your gun require at LEAST 5 clicks, more if you have a lot of attachments unlocked. Inability to save loadouts means if you want any sort of flexibility you are forced to navigate menus.

In almost every facet of this game, beauty is given precedence over function. It's a disaster.

late edit:
Bugs = unintended issues.
Poor design = someone sat there, came up with a bad idea, and thought it was a good idea.
You should moonlight for DICE's design team!

Cheeto

Carried a 4v5 game in match making as Val and was called a smurf...that felt good. Extra good because the other team wouldn't vote to remake after one of our guys was afk throughout the entire hero selection and game.

bzm

Neckbeard said:
Have you been watching the NASL? He is picked in more than half the games. In fact, I am watching a match right now in which he was banned.
hes so euro right now, dont think NA teams have been picking him up, no?
Moobabe said:
Are there any high level support guides out there? I'm really trying to push my MMR and ability level up
Watch minimap, buy counters/wards, stack jungle.
ez

Neki

bzm said:
hes so euro right now, dont think NA teams have been picking him up, no?

Watch minimap, buy counters/wards, stack jungle.
ez

listen to bzm, this is why I'm top 1500 support player, because I do all this stuff.

Neckbeard said:
Yeah, but that's just NASL. Have you seen him picked up anywhere else? Yeah... not really. Just because he's in half the NASL games doesn't even make him anywhere near high rotation in HoN in general. Like I said, he can be good in the right hands but he's by no means a popular hero choice.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
He's good enough to main if that's what you were wondering. Tanks are always nice to have and electrician is one of the better/safer ones.

Neki

elec is such a bad hero, just get a better tanky hero anyways. he's only good as a hard jeraziah counter really.

Haly

Until you get to like, 1800-1900s, hero picks don't even matter. What's more important is that you do your job and you do it well, and that you work with your team when the situation calls for it.

Neki

Halycon said:
Until you get to like, 1800-1900s, hero picks don't even matter. What's more important is that you do your job and you do it well, and that you work with your team when the situation calls for it.
gotta look out for those midas parasite and non-leech skill build parasites in the 1700's though. can't get out of there.

Haly

I bet Freakinchair can carry me out of 1600s with his Tremble Parasite.

Top Bottom