• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of Newerth |OT| Free-To-Play [PC /Mac /Linux]

I think puppet was getting a little bit too rowdy. It's unfortunate that it ended like that.

In other news, dota 2 is pretty fun, but I am getting destroyed, so I've been playing bot games for a bit so I can get used to it.

Kaper

Anbokr said:
What did he say?

Made a "Glorious PC-Master Race" type comment talking down about consoles in this thread, and he brought up the topic of beta keys in the Dota 2 OT which was specifically stated as being ban-worthy in the OP.

Guesong

By continually threading on thin ice, you're bound to slip eventually. Can't say it was unwarranted but still, we will all miss him.

GGs Puppet.

Phandy

Puppet Yuber getting banned just... it just felt.. right.
Almost like it was inevitable. I look forward to seeing YuppetPuber about.

Stay classy Puber.

Card Boy

Banned
1500 casual is harder than 1500 normal

sorry but the guys in casual suck arse and are full of feeders/leavers/trolls/and non english speaking people. I think I'm on my way to 1600 in normals where people play for reals.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Gez said:
1500 casual is harder than 1500 normal

sorry but the guys in casual suck arse and are full of feeders/leavers/trolls/and non english speaking people. I think I'm on my way to 1600 in normals where people play for reals.

I won like 20 casual games in a row and then lost literally 20 in a row. Never played it again.

Card Boy

Banned
Anbokr said:
I won like 20 casual games in a row and then lost literally 20 in a row. Never played it again.

Yeah i reached the like 1290 something in casual then i when back up to 1520.

Never again. Sticking to normals.

Neckbeard

Watching Moon's stream. He just dominated as Ra, then immediately Googled "calming music," went afk, returned with a Smirnoff Ice and a root beer.

The man is lightyears ahead of the rest of us.

lmao now a teammate just denied his 13-0 bubbles at 13 minutes when he was going to survive.

Card Boy

Banned
Neckbeard said:
Watching Moon's stream. He just dominated as Ra, then immediately Googled "calming music," went afk, returned with a Smirnoff Ice and a root beer.

The man is lightyears ahead of the rest of us.

lmao now a teammate just denied his 13-0 bubbles at 13 minutes when he was going to survive.

Yep i was watching aswell.

lol at that Empath.

Guesong

Sebulon3k said:
Is Necro EA?

Yes.

Admit it, you are surprised.

Edit : WHAT THE HELL AT HIS ULT.

"Target an enemy to deal 150 Superior Magic damage and debuffing him with The Undying for 10 seconds."

"For the duration, the enemy cannot regen or heal life and takes 70 Superior Magic Damage per second"

Which means...850 Superior Magic Debuffing damage.

El o el.

delirium

Guesong said:
Yes.

Admit it, you are surprised.

Edit : WHAT THE HELL AT HIS ULT.

"Target an enemy to deal 150 Superior Magic damage and debuffing him with The Undying for 10 seconds."

"For the duration, the enemy cannot regen or heal life and takes 70 Superior Magic Damage per second"

Which means...850 Superior Magic Debuffing damage.

El o el.
If that's his level 3 ult, its no different than witcher slayer's or pyro's. WS's ult does 850 damage and its not a DoT.

TUSR

Banned
delirium said:
If that's his level 3 ult, its no different than witcher slayer's or pyro's. WS's ult does 850 damage and its not a DoT.
If WS or Pyros ults did superior magic dmg, sure.

delirium

Squire Felix said:
If WS or Pyros ults did superior magic dmg, sure.
Superior magic just means it goes through Shrunken/BKB. Seeing as how Pyro and WS's ult is instant damage and not a DoT, making his ult not superior magic would make his ult inferior to them.

The only thing that might make this different is if you can still target someone if their shrunken is up rather than what I suspect that it just prevents BKB from dealing the DoT damage.

Kaper

So the new hero is basically a bad Doombringer? His ult makes no sense with the rest of his design. He is supposed to ult a weak target and kill it quick to gain a buff for the rest of the team fight(as was said in the spotlight), but most of his ult damage won't even matter since your teammates will be helping you burst said target withing 3-5seconds.

Nome

Kaper said:
So the new hero is basically a bad Doombringer? His ult makes no sense with the rest of his design. He is supposed to ult a weak target and kill it quick to gain a buff for the rest of the team fight(as was said in the spotlight), but most of his ult damage won't even matter since your teammates will be helping you burst said target withing 3-5seconds.
There's nothing that forces your teammates to help you burst down a target. That same argument could be made about any DoT. If it's cast on something that will already likely die, that's the player wasting it.

Also, considering Doombringer is probably one of the worst designs EVAR (lvl? death... c'mon son) and is imbalanced to boot... meh, not gonna bother. The two heroes barely have anything in common.

Neki

i just don't like his second skill. It makes him last longer in fights so his passive does more damage, but it just doesn't have have oompfh or impact when you use it.

Nome

Ultimoo said:
i just don't like his second skill. It makes him last longer in fights so his passive does more damage, but it just doesn't have have oompfh or impact when you use it.
Yeah, it's really more of a sustaining skill than anything else.

Kaper

Nome said:
There's nothing that forces your teammates to help you burst down a target. That same argument could be made about any DoT. If it's cast on something that will already likely die, that's the player wasting it.

Also, considering Doombringer is probably one of the worst designs EVAR (lvl? death... c'mon son) and is imbalanced to boot... meh, not gonna bother. The two heroes barely have anything in common.

The preview video suggests using it early in a teamfight to gain the bonus, and I agree with you that it's silly to waste it like that, but going after an enemy by yourself without being able to stop them from using snares/stuns/escape abilities I can't see him killing someone too quickly. He seems better suited to tank teamfight damage and then chase down the enemies who are left after said fight. His ult + aura are pretty nasty for chasing stragglers.

How does Doom barely have anything in common with the new hero? They both have high damage nukes, both have an aoe "presence" type ability and both have long duration DoT ults, one disables casting, the other disables hp regen.

Nome

Kaper said:
The preview video suggests using it early in a teamfight to gain the bonus, and I agree with you that it's silly to waste it like that, but going after an enemy by yourself without being able to stop them from using snares/stuns/escape abilities I can't see him killing someone too quickly. He seems better suited to tank teamfight damage and then chase down the enemies who are left after said fight. His ult + aura are pretty nasty for chasing stragglers.

How does Doom barely have anything in common with the new hero? They both have high damage nukes, both have an aoe "presence" type ability and both have long duration DoT ults, one disables casting, the other disables hp regen.
He's about sustained damage, not burst damage. He's also much faster than other heroes on average (290 base, but Ghost Marchers + Portal Key or Frostburn combined with constant use of Life Tap), so he can chase down heroes easily. You underestimate how effective his ultimate is at killing something; the 0% heal/regen makes a huge difference and also boosts his Q damage by 33% overall.

He's got more in common with Amun-Ra than anything else, at least in terms of role and playstyle. Comparing skills solely by feature set is a poor way to judge heroes, simply because it ignores the all-important context (ie, Witch Slayer and Pyromancer are functionally very different despite sharing some similar abilities; Witch Slayer would be more similar to Pollywog, for example). The only similarity he has with Doombringer is his ultimate, which is a long DoT. There's really nothing else about him that's similar, other than being a melee caster.

Swag

PillowKnight said:
You said I had 12 deaths "I screenshotted it". Np bro, minor set back, i'm gonna be the best morphling that ever was, I really love his stat swapping mechanic.
My bad was looking at Archie's stats I guess

Kaper

Nome said:
He's about sustained damage, not burst damage. He's also much faster than other heroes on average (290 base, but Ghost Marchers + Portal Key or Frostburn combined with constant use of Life Tap), so he can chase down heroes easily. You underestimate how effective his ultimate is at killing something; the 0% heal/regen makes a huge difference and also boosts his Q damage by 33% overall.

I was talking about the hero spotlight that suggests a less than optimal use for his ult. It's pretty plain to see he is all about sustained damage, which was what I was getting at with the teamfight tank + chase comment.

His design is very similar to Doom, both of their nukes have a conditional that adds more damage, and while Sal's is more reliable it's drawback is that you only get that bonus damage on one person that you have ulted for 10 seconds, which means best case you're getting an extra nuke's worth of damage. Doom can cast his on anyone, with target level being the drawback. The other skills all fall into the same type which gives the two heroes nearly the same role. Due to devour giving Doom a stun and his ult silencing, Doom is better suited to initiation, but after that they both serve a similar purpose. I would rather pick Ra over Sal, given the fact that, as you said, they both play similar roles, but Ra can initiate and not have to worry about dying, and he can still chase with similar effectiveness after the teamfight is over. I say salf is worse than Doom because he has the initiation potential and actual disables.

Witch Slayer is an 'in between' hero. He is a better single target nuker than pyro due to his mana drain being able to counter nullstone, but he can't carry like pyro can. On the pollywog side, WS has better disables than polly, but he can't push lanes.

Top Bottom