• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of Newerth |OT| Free-To-Play [PC /Mac /Linux]

Phandy

I'm gonna miss HoN, if it dies the death everyone thinks it will.
Its so fast paced sometimes, like playing Pestilience, it just feels energetic. I never get that from dota2. And I'm gonna miss my other babys like Gauntlet and Kraken.

Here's hoping enough people still play it so I can still play both.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Whaaaat? Yo someone petition for the neogaf clan to be mentors so we can get free stuff. Wish I was that guy in the back of "said clan" that maybe helps 1 person a week and gets 1000 gold coins a week. GGGGGGGG

But seriously, s2 should give like 100 silver coins for every 5 or 10 verified accounts mentored over the course of at least 2+ weeks. The 5 or 10 verified accounts makes sure people can't just hope on basics or cheat the system with their 2 or 3 accounts (same with the longevity). Sure there might be that 1% that finds a way to exploit the system but that happens with any game (and you know will happen a lot with dota 2 if dota 2 is free to play).

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
where do i go to make a petition to moody to re-junior bokr?

yo moody my brolesio bro; i sent him a message like "yo mah man moody unjunior yo man da bokr," and he was all like, "gotcha dawg mah bokr junior no more!." And that folks, is how anbokr, attained the sacred and esteemed member status.

Guesong

So I read earlier today that despite nothing saying so in the patch notes, Flux got changed.

Apparantly his Magnetic Surge (W push-pull) can now be cast on allied units, so saving them from certain death or allowing them to catch up fleeing heroes

Best buff ever confirmed Flux imba c/d

Sanjay

So I read earlier today that despite nothing saying so in the patch notes, Flux got changed.

Apparantly his Magnetic Surge (W push-pull) can now be cast on allied units, so saving them from certain death or allowing them to catch up fleeing heroes

That's a really nice buff, push friendly heroes towards enemies :D

bzm

you do realize this will be used more to grief than to actually save your teammates, yes?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
you do realize this will be used more to grief than to actually save your teammates, yes?
If that was true they would've taken out force staff/tablet of command.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
like i dont already tablet carry into enemy well every chance i get
If only every player was like you, bzm.

It would be like, playing against the other team and your own team.

I still wish you could toggle auto-cast on it.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
So far, I think I like DOTA 2 more than HoN. It's visually appealing, and just feels better to me when playing it.

It could still be that "I'm playing a new game" feel though, and I do still like HoN. I'd like to play HoN again sometime over the weekend to get a feel for it again.

Conceptor

yo moody my brolesio bro; i sent him a message like "yo mah man moody unjunior yo man da bokr," and he was all like, "gotcha dawg mah bokr junior no more!." And that folks, is how anbokr, attained the sacred and esteemed member status.
Moody confirmed for being too busy dealing with second hand embarrassment to bother replying

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
So far, I think I like DOTA 2 more than HoN. It's visually appealing, and just feels better to me when playing it.

It could still be that "I'm playing a new game" feel though, and I do still like HoN. I'd like to play HoN again sometime over the weekend to get a feel for it again.

29 CS QoP get carried npnpnp

I tried downloading this last night because me and a friend got nostalgic about old DotA heroes.

May be one of the worst games I've ever tried. The UI is such complete, utter shit that I pretty much refuse to play out of principle, but even beyond that you have the absolutely asinine decision to prevent me and my friend (both "Basic" players obviously) from playing in a custom game by ourselves. Apparently this is impossible until one of us is Verified. Oh yeah and I had to figure this out by wrestling with Google because again, the UI is such an abomination.

What. The. Fuck.

Oh and the game is Loony Tunes fast. Felt like the Benny Hill music shoulda been looped continuously in the background.

delirium

I tried downloading this last night because me and a friend got nostalgic about old DotA heroes.

May be one of the worst games I've ever tried. The UI is such complete, utter shit that I pretty much refuse to play out of principle, but even beyond that you have the absolutely asinine decision to prevent me and my friend (both "Basic" players obviously) from playing in a custom game by ourselves. Apparently this is impossible until one of us is Verified. Oh yeah and I had to figure this out by wrestling with Google because again, the UI is such an abomination.

What. The. Fuck.

Oh and the game is Loony Tunes fast. Felt like the Benny Hill music shoulda been looped continuously in the background.
The UI is basically your standard RTS? How can you be confused by it?

As for buying "basic" accounts, yeah, it sucks because its a f2p game. There has to be a way to stop the people from just buying an account and trolling with it.

The UI is basically your standard RTS? How can you be confused by it?

As for buying "basic" accounts, yeah, it sucks because its a f2p game. There has to be a way to stop the people from just buying an account and trolling with it.

How exactly is letting us join a custom game together and play with bots (or even without bots, whatever) have anything to do with trolling?

As for the UI, don't get me started. Frankly, if you think this is acceptable... As just one, just one example of failure, my friend sends me a buddy invite. A little chat message appears in the chat lobby. That's it. Already your UI has fucking failed- if he invites me, I should get the option to accept with the notification. Ok so how do you accept? I click on the tiny friends icon up top. Nothing. I click on the notifications icon. I see the same notification- without any option to accept.

So what I eventually figure out is that if I click on the notification tab, look at the notification, and then click on a tiny picture icon on the top left of that notification box, it brings me to another box that allows me to accept.

Like I said, What. The. Fuck.

And that's completely ignoring the 100 other things. You can't minimize messages to people? Why is half the screen taken up by huge wasted spaces in the lobby? You can't bring up the menu in-game by pressing Esc or any other sensible key? And have you seen the in-game shop UI? One of the clunkiest pieces of crap I've ever tried to deal with. I'm sure once you play 100 games you get over it but frankly I have no desire to reward such incompetence with my time.

I'm just glad Valve is handlign DotA 2 and not some amateur team.

delirium

How exactly is letting us join a custom game together and play with bots (or even without bots, whatever) have anything to do with trolling?

As for the UI, don't get me started. Frankly, if you think this is acceptable... As just one, just one example of complete failure of UI design, my friend sends me a buddy invite. A little chat message appears in the chat lobby. That's it. Already your UI has fucking failed- if he invites me, I should get the option to accept with the notification. Ok so how do you accept? I click on the tiny friends icon up top. Nothing. I click on the notifications icon. I see the same notification- without any option to accept.

So what I eventually figure out is that if I click on the notification tab, look at the notification, and then click on a tiny picture icon on the top left of that notification box, it brings me to another box that allows me to accept.

Like I said, What. The. Fuck.

And that's completely ignoring the 100 other things. You can't minimize messages to people? Why is half the screen taken up by huge wasted spaces in the lobby? You can't bring up the menu in-game by pressing Esc or any other sensible key? And have you seen the in-game shop UI? One of the clunkiest pieces of crap I've ever tried to deal with. I'm sure once you play 100 games you get over it but frankly I have no desire to reward such sheer incompetence with my time.
1. Custom games requires you use one of their servers. If you can make unlimited accounts, trolls can basically make accounts and use up all the servers and not let anyone else use them. Before you say that no one would ever do this, someone launched a massive DDoS attack against them before for banning someone's account for exploiting servers.

2. As for the chat message in the lobby? If someone invites you, a little popup with accompanying sound appears immediately asking you if you want to accept an invite. It does disappear after a while. This is no different from any other game UI.

As for the other things, the menu has always been brought up by Escape or F10, I haven't played in a while. As for your other complains, are you sure you're you playing the same game I am? The shop is pretty easy to use, and there are options to change it to other formats if you come from LoL. It defaults to the one veterans are used to.

Tomat

He's referring to keeping the trolls out of matchmaking. I wasn't aware you can't join custom games with friends when you're not verified. That is an unfortunate side effect.

As just one, just one example of failure, my friend sends me a buddy invite. A little chat message appears in the chat lobby. That's it.
False. A notification box opens on the top right of your screen where you can accept the invite. Make sure you don't have your notifications turned off in your options.

And that's completely ignoring the 100 other things. You can't minimize messages to people? Why is half the screen taken up by huge wasted spaces in the lobby?
You can also whisper your friends using /w <name> <message>

You can't bring up the menu in-game by pressing Esc or any other sensible key? And have you seen the in-game shop UI?
Escape is used to deselect things in game. I'm sure you can rebind it if you would like. Otherwise, F10 takes you to the lobby screen where you can access menus.

One of the clunkiest pieces of crap I've ever tried to deal with. I'm sure once you play 100 games you get over it but frankly I have no desire to reward such incompetence with my time.
Not even.

Madouu

I've never had any issues with UI whatsoever.

The only sensible critic in your post that I do agree with is the fact that new players can't create public games until they are level 5 since the switch to the f2p model, that is indeed quite silly.

As far as buddy invites are concerned, you can accept them directly when the notification appears in the top right part of the screen for a while. If you fail to do so for a period of time (say you are afk for example), you can just check your notifications and accept it there.
It is pretty straightforward.

Menu in game keys have always been ESC or F10 for every PC game around there for as long as I can remember, I don't understand your complaint. it's not ESC, for the simple reason that it is an important key in gameplay that is used to cancel unit selections.

The first few times, one will feel lost in the shop, it has been the same for me in League of Legends, HoN and now Dota 2. But the way the shop is organized follows the logic of how items are built in this genre, and even if you find it intimidating at first, it is the good way to present things because that is how you get to a better understanding of how the game exactly works.

Dota 2 handles the shop UI exactly the same way right now (two categories : components and upgrades made from a combination of those and recipes) with the addition of two features that make it even better. A search function, and a better recommended items window for each phase of the game, which you can get in HoN by activating guides by the way.

But it feels so slow! :(
I feel the exact opposite way, I really like DOTA 2, but I prefer HoN for the same reason ... it just feels better to me when I play.

He's referring to keeping the trolls out of matchmaking. I wasn't aware you can't join custom games with friends when you're not verified. That is an unfortunate side effect.

Fact of the matter is, there were two things I could do at that point. Play by myself in a game with only creeps (I couldn't see any way to add bots, so either they don't have them or the UI is once again a failure as an interface for users to get things done easily).

Or, join a random pub game by myself (with a bunch of jargon denoting some mode I have no familiarity with past whatever was in DotA), and hope for the best with HoN's legendarily welcoming community.

I think I'm done at that point. The people who make this game really don't want new players, so I'm happy to go elsewhere.

False. A notification box opens on the top right of your screen where you can accept the invite. Make sure you don't have your notifications turned off in your options.
Not false. What I said is what happened to me. I didn't change any options, so... I can't speak to the reliability of their coding, but that's that.

As for the UI, I have pretty high standards when it comes to this kinda thing. There's a reason companies like Blizzard and Valve get a lot of my money. For that matter there are many things I dislike about LoLs UI as well- primarily how laggy it is and how badly horizontal scrollbars work- but it is still 300% more functional. Anyone can navigate a bunch of horribly organized submenus and interfaces after devoting themselves to it, but that's something I'm not on board with.

Tomat

Not false. What I said is what happened to me. I didn't change any options, so... I can't speak to the reliability of their coding, but that's that.

As for the UI, I have pretty high standards when it comes to this kinda thing. There's a reason companies like Blizzard and Valve get a lot of my money. For that matter there are many things I dislike about LoLs UI as well- primarily how laggy it is and how badly horizontal scrollbars work- but it is still 300% more functional. Anyone can navigate a bunch of horribly organized submenus and interfaces after devoting themselves to it, but that's something I'm not on board with.
Well, that's definitely odd, because I as well as everyone else I know who plays this game receives notifications when they get an invite where they can accept the invite.

As for the shop, you don't have to devote yourself at all. I'm a casual HoN player and I don't have many issues with it. I may not know where certain items are, but there's a search bar on the top left of the window to help me with that. I wouldn't call League's shop 300% more functional. They're practically the same.

Really think you're overreacting.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
HoN is fast as hell compared to Dota 2. To use a terrible analogy: Dota2:HoN::Street Fighter 2:Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo.

kagete

DOTA2 UI is even worse in my opinion (that everyone is tired of hearing by now). HON UI is geared towards streamlining getting people into ranked games and stat-tracking and viewing. Unfortunately it didn't receive any sort of facelift or UI improvements when they decided to go free2play. Unlike most free2play games, HON's is basically a terrible demo for you to get shit on in ranked games by veteran players.

I feel like HON UI and usability was akin to MS Office 2003 when it first came out, a truly modern leap from the previous generation while DOTA2 is MS Office 2007 which tried to streamline a proven UI by hiding away lots of options behind obscure sub-menus and consoles.

delirium

From the talks of idejred, they just overhauled a lot of their UI from XML to LUA. That probably means UI changes in the future.

Phandy

I did notice just this patch; that they put some sort of sharpen filter on all of the UI, it looks much crisper than it did before. Very nice.

/not relevant.

Can't put my finger on it but I still like HoN better than DotA2. I think I'll stick with HoN till the community is either dead or DotA2 steamrolls HoN with new heroes ect. Pretty much only server stability issues and nowdays insane store prices are bringing HoN down for me.

I should really try out LoL someday to see how it feels like.

kagete

LUA? It's not like they're opening up UI customization for a f2p game... I'm scared of seeing WOW-quality addons being used in HON for even more visible information that vanilla-users won't be able to access without modding. Well maybe I'm more scared of what the actual UI revamp will more likely be: more HonTV-like html-based popups, ads, UI skinning (like gamestop or IGN when a game publisher buys ad space for the entire page) and the like...

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Yeah, I still like HoN a lot more than DOTA 2 (granted it's still in Beta). But like others have said before, DOTA 2's latency, animations, and slow-paced metagame are just ass.

Tomat

But it feels so slow! :(
I feel the exact opposite way, I really like DOTA 2, but I prefer HoN for the same reason ... it just feels better to me when I play.
I play League and HoN. DOTA speed feels like a mid-ground between the two, so it doesn't bug me that much.

Phandy

Yeah, I still like HoN a lot more than DOTA 2 (granted it's still in Beta). But like others have said before, DOTA 2's latency, animations, and slow-paced metagame are just ass.

Couldn't agree more. I 'prefer' the fast animations etc of hon, but I could swap over. But the more I play DOTA2, the more I'm getting bored of the slow paced overall game, having every single game go on for 40 minutes o more is a real drag. Once you hit mid game, it becomes so much about just farming up your carries, because the game will inevitably go to level 20+, and then its just a pissing match between carries.

Kaper

I like the massive change of pace between Dota 2 and HoN. It makes it so when I need a change of pace/get burned out I can switch to the other game for a different style of MOBA.

PasteyMF

+1 from here. I'm trying to stick with Dota 2, but I find myself coming back to HoN frequently.

IceMarker

Still currently on a 14-in-a-row midwars winning streak right now, that includes AGI/STR/INT only, and single type random and single draft.

uct6B.png

Gonna see if a team can break that tonight, shouts out to GoldDragon.

Top Bottom