• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of Newerth |OT| Free-To-Play [PC /Mac /Linux]

kagete

Yeah, wow that really sounds neat. It reminds me of the warcraft 3 maps that had nearly all tier 1 recipe items usable as tier 2/3 recipe items.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
I feel like if I get an early bloodlust or lane adv.; I'd pick up a 5 or 6 min. alch bones. Don't think it's worth it at anything past 9 or 10 minutes now though.

Conceptor

Hmm, maybe it's better to ask the HoN forums, but what the heck. The only real thing I'm trying work on with my game is keeping track of my hero during big team fights.. is there a mod or anything that you know of that helps with that? I used to die a ton when I first started because of bad map awareness, but I've gotten a lot better at that and I find that the majority of my bad deaths come from losing myself in a fight and getting owned lol. I'm getting much better with hotkeys (I used to point and click like Sanjay) for my char and the item shop so is it just something that comes with more practice or do I need to up my graphics or what? I play at 1280 by 1080 on the lowest settings, if that helps any lol. Last game I went 1-4-x with Hammerstorm, and at least 2 of those deaths were because I got lost in a team fight, so to speak D:

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Play range :3

Do you have your hero bound? I bind my heroes to group 3 and then double tap it to center. C is also helpful.

NukeDukem

Banned
binding your hero to a hotkey is good, holding down the C key will keep the camera centered on your hero. you can also enable the "selection highlight" option under the Interfaces tab, which will highlight in green whatever hero/object you hover the mouse over. For a better idea of what's going on in team fights, i would recommend installing the "Bang! Focus Hero Health" mod.

delirium

Apparently everything is on sale in the store for 50% off.

EDIT: Well I just blew most of my silver coins on alt avatars. Now to decide what to spend my 400 gold coins on.

bzm

Revenant looks... underwhelming. I don't like support heroes without a hard disable, and the invis skill looks kind of
cheesy

delirium

bzm said:
Revenant looks... underwhelming. I don't like support heroes without a hard disable, and the invis skill looks kind of
cheesy
I'd rather have him in a solo mid or solo side lane position. I feel like really needs to levels to be a good ganker.

Dreavus

Does anyone know of a good way to practice playing certain heroes? That sounds very simple, but the problem is I'm reluctant to use a hero I have no practice with in "real" games (i.e. match making games) since I'm kind of letting my team down by not knowing what I'm doing. I've heard people talk about playing no stats games but that doesn't seem like the best way to learn.

Do I just have to man up and figure stuff out in an MM game?

Insured

Dreavus said:
Does anyone know of a good way to practice playing certain heroes? That sounds very simple, but the problem is I'm reluctant to use a hero I have no practice with in "real" games (i.e. match making games) since I'm kind of letting my team down by not knowing what I'm doing. I've heard people talk about playing no stats games but that doesn't seem like the best way to learn.

Well uh, casual MM? It's not the real deal but you can get a feel for how the heroes move and how skills work and such.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Dreavus said:

I get this feeling sometimes to, but it's been very rewarding when I actually man up and pick a hero I have never or rarely played. Sometimes you do horrible, but you learn; other times you absolutely stomp with a hero you've never played and it feels great (very rewarding).

What alt avatars do you all have? Are they worth it even without unit commands on?

Considering:
Glacius
MQ
SS
SR
Magmus
Flux
Ra
Arma
Myrm
Vindi

Wish the Valk one was still available.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Wow, so I blow all my coins on a limited edition gold collection avatar and now everyone gets it for free? Really s2? On top of that, I used my 100 gold coins from back in june to help cover the lucksmith avatar; so everyone that didn't buy lucksmith gets a FREE lucksmith and a FREE gold collection with their now 325 gold coins (225 from the promo and 100 from the whole DDOS "I'm sorry" spiel). I'm so frikken' pissed at HoN right now, reward people that opt not to buy your "LIMITED EDITION" alt avatar, and punish those who do?

Seriously? Can I get a refund of my coins, Nome, or at least 1 gold collection like everyone who didn't want to buy lucksmith in the first place?

Goon Boon

Banned
Anbokr said:
Wow, so I blow all my coins on a limited edition gold collection avatar and now everyone gets it for free? Really s2? On top of that, I used my 100 gold coins from back in june to help cover the lucksmith avatar; so everyone that didn't buy lucksmith gets a FREE lucksmith and a FREE gold collection with their now 325 gold coins (225 from the promo and 100 from the whole DDOS "I'm sorry" spiel). I'm so frikken' pissed at HoN right now, reward people that opt not to buy your "LIMITED EDITION" alt avatar, and punish those who do?

Seriously? Can I get a refund of my coins, Nome, or at least 1 gold collection like everyone who didn't want to buy lucksmith in the first place?
It's not like they had to use their fucking limited edition one. They have like fifty fucking skins and and some voice packs and the thing they give out is a limited edition one? That's fucking bullshit.

Dreavus

Goon Boon said:
It's not like they had to use their fucking limited edition one. They have like fifty fucking skins and and some voice packs and the thing they give out is a limited edition one? That's fucking bullshit.

No kidding. Maybe they could have given out a "first look" skin or something, that's not in the store to start but releases later (maybe even make it an upcoming limited edition one). Digging back to the previous limited edition, especially the one that people had to use 1800 silver on, is just not cool at all. =/

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Has anyone heard any news of a co-op vs. AI mode ever being implemented? I'd like to come back, but casually, with no stress and just good times killin' dudes and experimenting with everything that's happened since uh, early 2010.

NukeDukem

Banned
bobscout.jpg

Meeru

Banned
Although I feel bad for you guys buying the Blacksmith premium avatar, I feel pretty good for not buying it, till now of course :s

Meeru

Banned
Lyphen said:
Has anyone heard any news of a co-op vs. AI mode ever being implemented? I'd like to come back, but casually, with no stress and just good times killin' dudes and experimenting with everything that's happened since uh, early 2010.
Lately we've been having GAF ihl nights everyday. Around 15-28 gaffers or so get on in the evening.

Not sure about the co-op vs ai though, but I think playing against gaffers is most fun :)

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Meeru said:
Lately we've been having GAF ihl nights everyday. Around 15-28 gaffers or so get on in the evening.

Not sure about the co-op vs ai though, but I think playing against gaffers is most fun :)
That's a shame. It's also because my girlfriend and I enjoy playing some games together. And I know she liked Torchlight and Dawn of War 2's Last Stand mode, so co-op HoN would be a good fit.

Meeru

Banned
Lyphen said:
That's a shame. It's also because my girlfriend and I enjoy playing some games together. And I know she liked Torchlight and Dawn of War 2's Last Stand mode, so co-op HoN would be a good fit.
Ah..wel I've been trying to get my wife to play coop with me but I don't know what game will work for her:(

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I thought Last Stand was good. The goal is to stay alive, so death and failure aren't really huge punishments since they're inevitable unless you're in a very good/balanced/coordinated group that can get through the final waves. Very few active abilities for most characters, and they can be assigned to Grid Keys, so shortcuts weren't a headache.

Lara Croft Guardian of Light and Borderlands were fun too (and it luckily has pretty generous auto-aim on consoles, since we're both garbage with sticks).

Meeru

Banned
Lyphen said:
I thought Last Stand was good. The goal is to stay alive, so death and failure aren't really huge punishments since they're inevitable unless you're in a very good/balanced/coordinated group that can get through the final waves. Very few active abilities for most characters, and they can be assigned to Grid Keys, so shortcuts weren't a headache.

Lara Croft Guardian of Light and Borderlands were fun too (and it luckily has pretty generous auto-aim on consoles, since we're both garbage with sticks).
She doesn't like games that have guns shooting etc..she likes shmups though

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Well, give Outland on PSN/XBLA a try. It's primarily a single player game but it has co-op challenge rooms and it's a pretty interesting platformer with bullet hell/Ikaruga elements.

Edit: Forgot there isn't any local co-op, so I guess unless you have two consoles (and two Xbox Live Gold accounts :| ) and are ready to buy two 10$ copies, that's out too. Tough to find good titles without any guns. :\

NukeDukem

Banned
Props to ERWINZZOR, PuppetYuber, Alumnus and Trasher for pubstomping with me tonight, 64+ mmr. Thanks guys!

On an unrelated note, im trying to set up a stream with justin.tv cause the commercial breaks arent mandatory like they are with Livestream , the only other streaming service i've ever used. Problem is, everytime i try and test out streaming with justin.tv my shockwave crashes. And i can't get the dyno broadcaster to work on any game i've tried to run. If anyone has got any experience with justin.tv, get ahold of me on GAF or in HoN.

Swag

Tried signing up for Prime, keep getting issues with Paypal payment method, will proceed to never go to IGN again.

Top Bottom