• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of Newerth |OT| Free-To-Play [PC /Mac /Linux]

Nome

Dreavus said:
Weird thing that no one probably cares about, but have you guys noticed that some heroes are actually unique "heroes", and others are more like generic shock troops as far as the lore is concerned? For example, it's implied that there are actually many legionnaires, martyrs, predators, scouts, behemoths, etc., but there is only one (King) Jereziah, Amun-ra, Aluna, Maliken, Mad Man, Dark Lady etc.

Anybody else find this strange? I wonder why they didn't give all the generic types some kind of unique name, kind of like in Dota. It could have easily been "[insert name] the Martyr" for the hero description, but still use "Martyr" for the announcer and stuff. Maybe it's a hold-over from Savage, where scout, predator and behemoth (among others) WERE plentiful shock troops and not supposed to be unique "individuals"? Still seems odd to me though.

Before beta every hero had its own name and class, but somewhere along the line it was decided that every hero would only have a single name. The fact that some have names while others are generic names is simply because we lack a dedicated story/lore guy. In fact, I think I've written most of the "lore" for the hero releases in the past year and a half. It's usually rushed in the Friday before patching time. As you can probably tell, we have given up on the story :p

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Meeru said:
That game last night..I want myvengeance

The trees don't know vengeance!

Edit: Also you see meeru, if we were playing BP I wouldn't be able to ban all of your mid heroes (wait maybe I could, I think it's like 5 bans right?).

IceMarker

Nome said:
Before beta every hero had its own name and class, but somewhere along the line it was decided that every hero would only have a single name. The fact that some have names while others are generic names is simply because we lack a dedicated story/lore guy. In fact, I think I've written most of the "lore" for the hero releases in the past year and a half. It's usually rushed in the Friday before patching time. As you can probably tell, we have given up on the story :p
Not bad for rushed lore, I like the little snippet you did for Parasite
Facehugger
and the full one. Although I'm telling you Nome, you guys should rip the Savage model from Savage 2 and put him in game for old times sake!

Dreavus

Nome said:

Haha, hey it's pretty awesome for being "rushed" like that. These types of games don't really lend themselves to a story very well, but I always like checking out the lore anyways. :D

bzm

nome, does s2 have any plans for changing the clan interface? Currently its a pretty big hassle to hand over leadership, since you have to do it online instead of in the game itself =\

Styles

I fucking hate it when players from the opposing side hassles my team to concede. We know, just stfu and let us concede in silence, with out having you posting "just concede already". No need to stuff it down our throat.

Bento

Vect said:
I fucking hate it when players from the opposing side hassles my team to concede. We know, just stfu and let us concede in silence, with out having you posting "just concede already". No need to stuff it down our throat.
And it's usually counter productive since someone on that team will get pissed off and refuse to pass a concede vote. There is some pleasure to be had when you manage to turn such a game around though :eek:)

kagete

just pronounce it quickly ka-ge-te you guys are too westernized with your protracted vowel sounds. Or, just call me kag to make it easier for everyone.

Sigh, can't wait for work to end. I need my hon fix

bzm

MrMister said:
Saying it right here, right now. I want out of the IHL and I'm not doing IH anymore, I receive too much shit from this community as a whole and I am done with it, TMM and nothing more.

I quit Starcraft II-GAF for the same reason and now it's starting in HoN-GAF.

I feel just like Moustachio did when he quit GAF temporarily.
You'll feel like him too when you end up coming back
cy@

IceMarker

bzm said:
You'll feel like him too when you end up coming back
cy@
But that's not even close the fucking point. I receive shit every game no matter what I do. For some reason in IH this amplifies by a fucking thousand. Especially feels bad to get your ass handed to you by your own clanmates. It fucking sucks, I'm trying as had as I can to 'man up' to all of this, but it's stacked on for so long I can't carry the weight anymore. Something needs to change and if it doesn't happen soon the meltdowns are going to get worse.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
MrMister said:
But that's not even close the fucking point. I receive shit every game no matter what I do. For some reason in IH this amplifies by a fucking thousand. Especially feels bad to get your ass handed to you by your own clanmates. It fucking sucks, I'm trying as had as I can to 'man up' to all of this, but it's stacked on for so long I can't carry the weight anymore. Something needs to change and if it doesn't happen soon the meltdowns are going to get worse.

We were joking around the whole game tho, it was a friendly tone--not serious. All we said was we need more wards, that's why you're dying, and even that was in a joking tone. Nothing else man.

Meeru

Banned
mrmr ur a good player. do'n't degrade urself. don't compare urself with other gaffers/players.
don't jungle with blacksmith.

IceMarker

I'm just bothered that with the exception of two IH games I can remember. I've lost every single fucking IH since then. I always end up on the fucking losing team, and 90% of the games I have decent xpm and gpm.

I JUST WANT TO WIN ONE IN-HOUSE GAME

Trasher

MrMister said:
I'm just bothered that with the exception of two IH games I can remember. I've lost every single fucking IH since then. I always end up on the fucking losing team, and 90% of the games I have decent xpm and gpm.

When I get back up to speed you can be on my team, friend. I assure you we will win a game eventually. :)

Conceptor

MrMister said:

Dude. If this means so much to you, I'll always make sure that I'm on the opposite team.
You seem to win all those anyway! *shakes fist*

IceMarker

The problem btw isn't that I'm on a losing streak for IHs, the fact that I'm losing more games with GAF than without is the problem, IH or TMM, I win by myself in SMM or in public games.

It's bothering the shit out of me I can't win with GAF.

Well... in SMM/pubs there's rarely any strategy. If you get a good lineup of competent players you'll win. If you get scrubs that don't ward/courier you can just mess around for 15 minutes. It's more luck-based than anything: perhaps your mid dominates theirs, or they have a deadly lane combo. Maybe you picked Panda and they picked Vindicator.

In an IH there's a lot more strategy involved. Creep-pulling, counter-warding, team fights that aren't just "someone initiate", everyone TP'ing to defend a tower, etc.

I haven't seen you play a lot but maybe learning these advanced strategies could help.

Tijnisch

Neo Member
Chinese Electric Batman said:
Anyone been having trouble in MM in the last couple of days? Seems like 1/5 games always have greys or no response from server.

I'm in EU.

Yeah I've been having some issues too, also in EU. Logging out and in seems to be a solid fix most of the time.

BTW, what's up with Meeru. In an inhouse yesterday when he was Soulstealer, he was unstunnable... his reaction times with the Shrunken Head were just sick. HOW DOES HE DO THAT.

Sanjay

Tijnisch said:
BTW, what's up with Meeru. In an inhouse yesterday when he was Soulstealer, he was unstunnable... his reaction times with the Shrunken Head were just sick. HOW DOES HE DO THAT.

Man your voodoo jester :mad: you caught me like 3 times with 2 invis runes and one haste :(

Macattk15

Love playing Valkyrie in a matchmaking game and then proceeding to land pro ass 5 pointers throughout the game with my team basically bowing down to me.

Ended up 14-3 and back to the 1650 range.

Meeru

Banned
Version 2.0.38
-------------
- Fixed hitting S or H while connecting to a server causing the game to never load
- Updated text when disconnecting from Matchmaking to be more clear
- Fixed players respawning attached to projectiles when Gore Taunted when "no respawn timers" is set
- Fixed custom account icons counting as modified files for the purposes of Tournament Rules
- Fixed exploit with Rampage and Blood Hunter reveal gadgets
- Fixes to Emerald Warden bugs with Nullstone and Magic Immunity
- Nullstone effects tweaked

- Added new Alt Avatar: Phantom Defiler

- Added new Alt Courier: Rat Courier

== Items ==

- Alchemist's Bones cooldown/timer increased by 20 seconds

- Astrolabe
* Reworked Components
* Fortified Bracer (510)
* Refreshing Ornament (603)
* Astrolabe Recipe (600)
* Total Cost: 1713
* Effects
* +8 Strength, +5 Agility, +5 Intelligence
* +3 Health Regen aura
* On use: Heals nearby allies for 200 Health. 100 Mana cost, 45 second cd
* A hero/unit can still only be healed once every 25 seconds

- Energizer
* Components
* Soulscream Ring (460)
* Major Totem (540)
* Energizer Recipe (700)
* Total Cost: 1700
* Effects
* +7 Strength, +10 Agility, +7 Intelligence
* On use: Nearby allies gain 50 Movement Speed and Unitwalking for 5 seconds. 100 Mana cost, 45 second cd

- Arcane Ring
* Reworked Components
* Amulet of Exile (485)
* Pickled Brain (900)
* Auto combines
* Total Cost: 1385
* Effects
* +300 Mana, +3 Strength, +3 Agility, +6 Intelligence
* On use: Nearby allies gain 135 Mana. 25 Mana cost, 33 second cd

- Shieldbreaker
* Rework
* Warhammer (1600)