• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of Newerth |OT| Free-To-Play [PC /Mac /Linux]

Dahbomb

Sanjay said:
You only answered question one! :|

Dahbomb seems like a pro player, 30 denies per game? would take me a good 30 games to get that many. Whats your MMR?
LOL @ pro player.

My MMR is around low 1600-ish. I just recently signed up. I don't know if that's good or not.

About the denies, that's usually how much I have if I don't get lag/delay and it's padded because I deny out of reflex even when I am pushing mid/late game. Also varies from hero to hero, game to game. :/

Neki

yo be careful guys, dahbomb is the one who said that doom was a perfect counterpick to weaver, and that Na'Vi was throwing because they picked weaver.

Meeru

Banned
Dahbomb said:
LOL @ pro player.

My MMR is around low 1600-ish. I just recently signed up. I don't know if that's good or not.

About the denies, that's usually how much I have if I don't get lag/delay and it's padded because I deny out of reflex even when I am pushing mid/late game. Also varies from hero to hero, game to game. :/
Denying mid late game is a waste of time. Low 1600 is BR level.

On a plus side, Doombringer would usually be a pretty smart counter to weaver, cuz his ultimate will prevent him from invis and ult, but Navi just knew what to do.

Dahbomb

What's BR level? Brazil level? Are they supposed to be bad players or something?

I know denying mid game is a waste of time and effort but I do it for the lulz anyway.

Scythian

So I just played my first online matches and I've realized that the community is very un-inviting to newcomers (from what I experienced) even after I joined a "noob" room they wanted to kick me out because I was playing so badly :p

How can I practice and get better at the game?
Is the entire community like this?

Guesong

Scythian said:
So I just played my first online matches and I've realized that the community is very un-inviting to newcomers (from what I experienced) even after I joined a "noob" room they wanted to kick me out because I was playing so badly :p

How can I practice and get better at the game?
Is the entire community like this?

3 easy steps!

1. Type in /join clan neogaf
2. Play in our in-house games
3. Profit!

Dahbomb

You should probably play some NO STATS game in Public games. When stats are on the line people tend to get real up tight. KDR/PSR/MMR is basically a way to measure player's e-penis online and any threat to their sizes gets them whipped up in a frenzy.

Oh you guys have a clan? Nice I think I might join next week.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Just keep playing, if they start talking shit either ignore them or troll them and keep playing. Nostats are good for seeing all the heroes but people will leave pretty quickly.

Ikuu said:
Just keep playing, if they start talking shit either ignore them or troll them and keep playing. Nostats are good for seeing all the heroes but people will leave pretty quickly.

This is definitely the more fun option.

Prime targets these days are Swedes.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Making fun of their country or calling them another nationality is always an easy target.

Scythian

Thanks for the advice guys, I guess practice makes perfect, so I'll do that. I was also having a lot of fun even though they were mostly very aggresive towards me.

bzm

Guesong said:
3 easy steps!

1. Type in /join clan neogaf
2. Play in our in-house games
3. Profit!
wasnt someone saying how our ih's scared off 90% of the new players when hon went f2p?

Guesong

bzm said:
wasnt someone saying how our ih's scared off 90% of the new players when hon went f2p?

It may be so. However, after I got past my initial resistance barrier, I believe the in-houses are definitively the best way to learn the game. No pressure, no badmouthing. You will get destroyed by the regulars. And getting destroyed is a perfect way to learn the heroes and your mistakes.

Sure, it's not enjoyable at all times. But if you are to get destroyed regardless, might as well be in a friendly environment with Gaffers.

Dahbomb

Here's how games of HON play out:

Before the match even begins, everyone looks at everyone's stats. They sniff out the weakest player on the opposing team and feed on him continuously. A good player usually can recover from a few early ganks/deaths but a newcomer will be left so far behind that he would be crippled in the entire match. And the opposing team will be well fed level/item wise and they can run a truck through the other 4 players on your team. And the 4 players on your team will get mad at you for getting ganked/killed continuously.

Identifying and reacting to this vicious cycle is how you get better. Your first priority with the game is basically to learn all the heroes/items as fast as you can and avoid feeding. Stick with teammates in ganks, use spells when you are supposed to use them and buy/place wards so that your teammates will have less of a reason to kick you/hate on you.

bzm

Chinese Electric Batman said:
I heard that NeoGAF IHs were very intimidating because of people like MrMister and cocky aggressive people like you.
oh damn trynna whip out tha real talk

edit:
ytxTf.jpg

NukeDukem

Banned
Dahbomb said:
Here's how games of HON play out:

Before the match even begins, everyone looks at everyone's stats. They sniff out the weakest player on the opposing team and feed on him continuously. A good player usually can recover from a few early ganks/deaths but a newcomer will be left so far behind that he would be crippled in the entire match. And the opposing team will be well fed level/item wise and they can run a truck through the other 4 players on your team. And the 4 players on your team will get mad at you for getting ganked/killed continuously.

Identifying and reacting to this vicious cycle is how you get better. Your first priority with the game is basically to learn all the heroes/items as fast as you can and avoid feeding. Stick with teammates in ganks, use spells when you are supposed to use them and buy/place wards so that your teammates will have less of a reason to kick you/hate on you.

^ this.

I heard that NeoGAF IHs were very intimidating because of people like MrMister and cocky aggressive people like you.

HoN is a brutal game that will not cut you any slack if you fuck up. Gaffers are fucking merciless during inhouses. If we would cut the new kids some slack maybe they'd play more.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut

Mrmister is probably the guy you heard it from.

Sanjay

Bit of a aggressive statement and how would you know if BZM is cocky and aggressive? why are you making up lies like that. I absolute hate liars and you lie.

Dahbomb

How do you cut someone slack in HON? By letting them get away when they made such a huge blunder to begin with? Or just simply not target them in team fights?

I don't think I have ever seen someone show mercy or hold back in HON even in casual/friendly games. Even when it's not serious it's just insanely fun to kill the weaklings and earn some gold to get some luxurious build.

Meeru

Banned
Dahbomb said:
How do you cut someone slack in HON? By letting them get away when they made such a huge blunder to begin with? Or just simply not target them in team fights?

I don't think I have ever seen someone show mercy or hold back in HON even in casual/friendly games. Even when it's not serious it's just insanely fun to kill the weaklings and earn some gold to get some luxurious build.
Cutting slack? Uh no. Is that what they do in LoL?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I think by "cut slack" they mean don't flame as hard.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
ASIjX.png

Typical GAF IH.

Disclaimer for anyone who takes this completely seriously: This is half truth, half humor. IH's can be a little rough on new players, but that's just the way the game is from the beginning. It's difficult and takes getting used to, but just keep at it and you'll improve.

GAF actually does offer advice, they've given me plenty. As bzm stated during that game it can be difficult to give advice mid-game.

Also as Anbokr just said on Mumble right now (He pretty much nailed it): I was legitimately mad when I started typing that in-game and played it off as a joke afterward.

In the end: Playing in the GAF IH's and TMMing with GAF is a far more positive experience than going solo and I would wholeheartedly recommend the IH's to all new players here. Chances are you'll get your ass kicked from time to time, but it's much better than getting verbally destroyed by some random jerk in matchmaking.

nara

Banned
what a game that was. loki killed bottle courier midway, i bought another courier, he killed it again, so i bought another courier. 1100 gold :(

Guesong

Just had a couple of games in TMM with Rhapsody.

She's a goddamn beast.

She has to be nerfed, but how can she be nerfed without changing her skills altogether? I guess by halving the heal and damage on her dance floor? And even then...

What I'd do to be at some S2Games reunions about fair hero creations sometimes.

As for the in-house rage...well, I believe at this point, it's clear that new players would prefer to be told what to do directly, instead of having to ask in Mumble and whatnot. Now I know it's hard for others to do that when participating, but I believe all the observers should, at their turn, try to provide extra attention to the newer players over the course of the game and guiding them if need be.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Wow! Such aggression.

Is this what the IH games are like?

Lmao.

Sherlock GAF unite! We now know:
A) Chinese Electric Batman has played an IH.
B) said batman most likely raged out
C) said batman was probably slighted by bzm (who hasn't been tho? astro maybe? we can eliminate him)

Who could it be now...

Sanjay

Wow! Such aggression.

Is this what the IH games are like?

Lmao.

I like how you ignored the false baseless mindless accusations you made towards BZM and now your calling us aggressive. You fraud.

bzm

Ultimoo said:
settle down guys, let's just get along.

now, LET'S PLAY SOME LEAGUE.

CYA.
u dont get to say cya if ur talking about league nerd.

@swag: yes identity is still a mystery
holden??

Conceptor

Played back to back games against an 18-1 madman and then a 34-1 FA. So sick of the announcer going 'IMMMMMOORTAL'.

I'm still trying to learn how to raise my gpm/rice a bit more so if someone has the time and doesn't mind, could you watch my last match and telling me what to improve on? I wanted to pick up brut. but wasn't sure if it would have been worth it with the way the game was going lol;;;

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
You had some odd/unnecessary movement during early laning that caused missed LHs, like walking way far back and forth for no reason.

Use the hatchet active to pick up distant last hits you would miss.

The farm you get from a 2v1 lane should enable you to get fast Alc Bones, you could've had them at 8 minutes, would've helped your gpm and stole creeps from tree as well. Fast ghost marchers didn't help you that much, as you guys were not actively engaging the Legio. Between pred and slither you should have pushed him out of lane with constant harass with leaps and poison. Also, ghost marchers on pred isn't all that great, the extra stats/AS from steamboots is much better for his passive. And playing against Legio/Ra/Tree your passive will be very important.

~9 minutes you walked to mid, denied a catapult, and walked back to top. A lot of wasted time. When playing a hard carry like pred, don't ever deny when you could last hit instead.

TP around 10:30 was too defensive, slither was there and together you guys probably could've turned that.

You hardly used your ghost marchers, if you buy them, spam that speed when you know you won't immediately need it for fighting heroes, like when you're walking to the lane. Time is money, and faster ms means more time to farm. Ghost marcher speed has a 50% uptime if you spam it. After you leap, make sure you hit it to get those extra attacks in.

It's good to want to kill the carry, but every time you chased FA around and failed to kill her your team died in the process. Pred's passive lets him DPS down the tanks while healing for tons of health, maybe you should've taken the kills and assists you could get with your team and leave the FA for later/last.

Helm on Pred isn't too good, also. Yeah, it's a great item against FA, but if you picked up insanitaurius (sp?) instead you could've had Armor, Health, and AS for your passive to make up for the damage you take. I also don't think this was too much of a shrunken head game. Pred's skill is enough to counter tree, and the only disable after that that was really screwing with you was Frostwolf, which shrunken doesn't save you from. MKB/Insan/Steam would've given you just as much HP and way more damage. Frostburn was a good pick up though, although shieldbreaker might have been useful to go through the Helms on Legio and Ra. You were in a really hard spot after FA finished Frostwolf. Geo/Frostwolf on any ranged carry is pretty GG for any melee carry that isn't magebane.

More focused on GPM, I noticed you never killed the ancients, when you notice the opportunity, head over at X:50, stack and kill them. Pred can do them easily.

Wasn't much you could've done though, you guys were 4v5 with the worthless arachna, and FA was a smurf. NT.

PS: With regard to GAFIH and regulars not going easy, this has been said before, and I'll just reiterate it: We are NOT trying to smash people, we pick heroes to mess around on/get better at and just play the game in a relaxed fashion. It's hard for those in game to give direction to those learning, that falls mostly to the specs for in-game stuff. Generally the best advice is to stick with your team. At the time, those of you who are new can't expect to be told some enlightening set of instructions and get much better at the game. It helps, but only experience really makes you better at this game.

PPS: Not dead.

Top Bottom