• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of Newerth |OT| Free-To-Play [PC /Mac /Linux]

Neki

PS: With regard to GAFIH and regulars not going easy, this has been said before, and I'll just reiterate it: We are NOT trying to smash people, we pick heroes to mess around on/get better at and just play the game in a relaxed fashion. It's hard for those in game to give direction to those learning, that falls mostly to the specs for in-game stuff. Generally the best advice is to stick with your team. At the time, those of you who are new can't expect to be told some enlightening set of instructions and get much better at the game. It helps, but only experience really makes you better at this game.
hope you don't watch the replay with lamarcus not trying to crunch the new guy, LOL.

Valygar

That said, IH are probably where I've learned the most. Sometimes they go easy with me, sometimes not, but at least I can ask how I died or what did I do wrong.

I'm going to leave this game for a bit, might still play it sometimes but not as often as before. The amount of smurfs accounts discourages me to play it alone, and playing with gaffers is proving not to be easy thanks to the different timezones. I'll still try to play some nights (afternoon for you) since that's when there are most gaffers online.

Meeru

Banned
The problem with Dota for most players is the importance of teamwork. Being with your teammates is very crucial, thats not hard to do. Knowing what spell and when to use, that is what makes it hard. And I think that what causes most new players to just play by themselves.

But when you get past that barrier and learn how fun it is to synergy your spells with your friends, knowing when to use your stun and whatnot, thats what makes Dota, Dota.

MM down again.

b3lVH.png

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
bzm said:
Regarding the boots thing, steamboots is almost always the better choice on a carry

I don't know, I'm really starting to like phase boots on guys like flint, valk, and CD. I guess steam is always the safer choice, but not always the best choice.

Kapura

Banned
Steam boots are nearly always better on a carry because they offer a significant AS increase (25) as well as swappable stats. Attack speed continues to pay off dividends throughout the game; it's a scaling DPS increase. Ghost marchers offer straight damage which won't scale as well on a straight carry. The movespeed is better, certainly, but that's really only good if you're playing a mobile ganker hero or have an orb that it's critical to keep up.

Movespeed is also increased by firebrand containing items, though, so it's not like ghostmarchers are the only place you can pick up bonus speed.

bzm

Anbokr said:
I don't know, I'm really starting to like phase boots on guys like flint, valk, and CD. I guess steam is always the safer choice, but not always the best choice.
"Almost always". CD is an exception because of conduit, valk its ok if you want to play more of a ganky valk instead of a farming valk, i think is awful on flint.

Dahbomb

Anbokr said:
On Valk and CD who already have ways to increase their MS... I don't know man. Those characters get insane MS with Firebrand/Frostburn/Geometer anyway plus can escape from most situations. Plus the +10 strength on CD is a must since he needs to tank a little bit in team fights. Sometimes the clutch swap to intel for Valk saves her in high adrenaline moments (when you just need the mana for a jump or stun or even ulti). I say same for Madman, he really has almost no use from Ghost Marchers.

Everything that's wrong with HoN in one 80 minute game.

-Instant-pick of Warden and BH, orange insists on picking Flint. No tanks.
-BH gets immortal but keeps putting his silence on teammates and denying them. Also hogs all the wards.
-Warden does squat all game, running around placing his Overgrowth. His most useful moment came at the end when their Magebane tried to backdoor our Shrine and I needed help to kill him.
-Flint stands outside Kongor's lair and downhill to attack.
-Took forever for us to rax, and with two rax down my teammates insisted on pushing instead of going for Megas.
-General raging and insults throughout the game.

If I wasn't desperate to get back over 1200 MMR I would've eaten the leave.

2qj9fvc.jpg

bzm

You dont need a tank for a lineup to be good
edit: someone got to 42 kills without the other team ccing? holy shit only in the 1200s
second edit: no boots on magebane, lol? blink wont save you when they have 2 silences broha

I firmly believe phase boots>>> steamboots for carries.

For a few reasons:

-On most carries it's not really a matter of being able to tank shit and more of a matter of avoiding all that cc.
-It's really hard to put out dps if people can just outrun you, the movement speed helps against that.
-Phase boots help a lot with last hitting in the laning phase, and once you finish steamboots the +dmg that early is huge.
-Unit walking; the creep walking/hero walking jukes, and of course not being creep/hero blocked yourself.

Meeru

Banned
bzm said:
You dont need a tank for a lineup to be good
edit: someone got to 42 kills without the other team ccing? holy shit only in the 1200s
second edit: no boots on magebane, lol? blink wont save you when they have 2 silences broha
Back in beta when all five had to vote yes for cc, getting 50+ kills on swiftblade was the norm.

Kapura

Banned
PillowKnight said:

For a few reasons:

-On most carries it's not really a matter of being able to tank shit and more of a matter of avoiding all that cc.
-It's really hard to put out dps if people can just outrun you, the movement speed helps against that.
-Phase boots help a lot with last hitting in the laning phase, and once you finish steamboots the +dmg that early is huge.
-Unit walking; the creep walking/hero walking jukes, and of course not being creep/hero blocked yourself.
I'll 1v1 you any carry mid and we'll see how well your phase boots work out for you.

come-at-me-bro.jpg

bzm

PillowKnight said:

For a few reasons:

-whether or not your purpose is to tank, people are going to be trying to gank you. the +hp helps from that (though so does the +ms on phase, so i dont really see this being one way or the other)
-most carries have a way to keep people slowed or disabled (cept like, cd) but sure bro ill just grab my striders on magebane
-steamboots can also give damage, and really the last hitting isnt going to come down to phase v steam at that point, its going to be who has more lane presence / control, not who has more static +dmg. You could have a doombringer for all i care but youre still going to get shit on by something like hammer/pyro
-getting yourself blocked doesnt happen much, and just having some foresight helps with it

I used to get phase boots a lot, but once i learned how to switch the stats on steamboots, it became a much more versatile item for me. And the +AS is way more significant lategame than any benefits from phase boots

bzm said:
-whether or not your purpose is to tank, people are going to be trying to gank you. the +hp helps from that (though so does the +ms on phase, so i dont really see this being one way or the other)
-most carries have a way to keep people slowed or disabled (cept like, cd) but sure bro ill just grab my striders on magebane
What I was trying to say is that the movespeed helps more, odds are if you get stunned at all you're fucked. +190ish hp from steamboots isn't going to outweigh being able to outrun a run or juke out of it.
-steamboots can also give damage, and really the last hitting isnt going to come down to phase v steam at that point, its going to be who has more lane presence / control, not who has more static +dmg. You could have a doombringer for all i care but youre still going to get shit on by something like hammer/pyro
Well i'm not just saying phase boots as a whole, I mean buying punch daggers as you build up to phase boots. Obviously this applies more to ranged carries than it does to melee carries
-getting yourself blocked doesn't happen much, and just having some foresight helps with it
Gotta disagree with this, there are a lot of times where creeps will surround you and no amount of foresight will help against it; an example of this is the creep roll-around juke(I just made that name up, real juke though). Not to mention allied blocking, and aggressive/defensive body blocking from your enemies.

I used to get phase boots a lot, but once i learned how to switch the stats on steamboots, it became a much more versatile item for me. And the +AS is way more significant lategame than any benefits from phase boots
I used to go steamboats all the time and the lack of MS kept fucking me over so consistently that I had to switch, haven't looked back ever since.

Kapura: I'm not an expert on this, but I don't think 1v1 mid ever gets to the point of steamboots.

I was actually thinking of trying to set up a 1v1 mid league, cause i'm so bad at mid and I want to improve. I wanna wait till puber returns to hon before I try anything though.

Kapura

Banned
tbh when i get back to a real computer I would love to see a 1v1 league, a la gafhosue league. Get somebody to spec it, ban pulling mid or going to other lanes, play a banning pick with multiple heroes (so both could potentially pick the same hero) and let it happen. Could b fun

You can get phase boot over steam boot with hero that you can easily animation cancel. The only exception I can think of is Soulstealer and Slither, but thats because people prefer overall stats.

eg: Valkyrie, Forsaken Archer, Flint Beastwood.

Kaper

PuppetYuber said:
You can get phase boot over steam boot with hero that you can easily animation cancel. The only exception I can think of is Soulstealer and Slither, but thats because people prefer overall stats.

eg: Valkyrie, Forsaken Archer, Flint Beastwood.

it's also good to get phase on melee carries when you are on a team that is melee heavy

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Valve will probably attach it to Steam accounts and not give out beta keys.

...good thing all 6 of my TF2 smurfs signed up for the beta.

Meeru

Banned
Archie said:
Valve will probably attach it to Steam accounts and not give out beta keys.

...good thing all 6 of my TF2 smurfs signed up for the beta.
Hmm If its really related to system specs, would it matter?

Top Bottom