• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT3| Chromiehounds

5-mans in QM are one of my annoyances too. We sometimes do it too but we don't make try hard comps. Granted it doesn't happen all the time but they should restrict 5-mans to unranked draft. Team League matchmaking might even get better if there were more people playing it...

Yesterday, me and 2 friends queued for QM to warm up. Our first match we get queued against a 5 stack running cho'gall + auriel. They literally A.I bot lane pushed us on Sky Temple for the first 3 mins and got a keep at the 5 min mark. To add to the cheese, Auriel took resurrection and they bypassed mid fort to kill the keep. Despite all that, we clawed our way to victory. It was the roughest QM I've had in a long time, but the payoff was worth it. I've been on the losing end of them too, but I still don't think 5 mans should be restricted in QM.

Let's ignore queue-time ramifications. While 5 stacks obviously favor the 5 man team that is coordinated, that can be somewhat alleviated by matching them against higher MMR parties. Doesn't the game already do this? I'm pretty sure it does for TL at least.

Alur

5 mans in QM need to go. Yes, they match teams against higher MMR individuals or small groups, but in our bracket it's often a difference of just 150-250 MMR which really means nothing in skill level at Diamond. Doubt it means much anywhere else. It would have to be a consistently bigger gap IMO, but I digress.

The teams are typically coordinated comp-wise and often on voice while the opposing team is just a mish mash of whatever shit was in the queue. Beyond that, Team League is in dire need of more teams and more participation. It's better but not great still. Restricting 5 mans to TL only, or at the least Unranked and TL only gives their opponent a better chance due to the draft...and it also populates the two least popular modes by usage.

That's a win/win to me.

Apathy

Don't the tutorials explain objectives. I keep getting into games with like super low level people and they never do objectives. They just keep doing nothing but pushing a single lane

Maledict

So far the favourite things I have had shouted at me on my smurf are:

"Leave mid Nazeebo, I'm solo mid" : From a player who doesn't understand who lanes work in HotS and thought I was stealing his xp.

"Go mid lane Nazeebo" : on Braxis Holdout....

Maledict

Man, this game is a lot of fun. The only things that sucks is that I get anxiety trying to play quick match and it always ends up with me having supper short sessions with the game. It's SC2 all over again.

I know exactly how you feel. Things that helped me get used to it:

1) PLaying with a friend on voice comms. For some reason it really helps.

2) Playing against the AI a lot. I find it relaxing, totally stress free, and it lets me work on basic mechanics.

3) Not playing ranked unless I feel up to it. Never force it, play quick match or unranked and focus on yourself.

4) Muting other players at the first hint of toxicity.

Apathy

Lucio is really strong, so easy too. It's just that people don't know when to pull back.

BTW, I've heard of the "korean build" of arthas, what build is that

I love the comic version of the portraits, i want more

Ketch

So far the favourite things I have had shouted at me on my smurf are:

"Leave mid Nazeebo, I'm solo mid" : From a player who doesn't understand who lanes work in HotS and thought I was stealing his xp.

"Go mid lane Nazeebo" : on Braxis Holdout....

Along time ago I got told off by a raynor who was pissed that I was stealing his SM stacks.

Apathy

every qm with really really new players makes me hate real people more and more.

Should really be forced to stick with the ai for like 10 player levels or something. They can't even do qp right

Apathy

someone in my game just went "it should be 2/1/2" for lanes, is that some sort of hard and fast rules of all/other mobas? Isn't it about rotating around, or if you have someone like genji to move around from lane to lane as needed?

kirblar

someone in my game just went "it should be 2/1/2" for lanes, is that some sort of hard and fast rules of all/other mobas? Isn't it about rotating around, or if you have someone like genji to move around from lane to lane as needed?
Yes. 3/1/1 or 1/1/1 (2-man rotating ganker squad) is the norm in HOTS. 4/1 on 2-lanes. But the rules aren't hard and fast.

Apathy

Yes. 3/1/1 or 1/1/1 (2-man rotating ganker squad) is the norm in HOTS. 4/1 on 2-lanes. But the rules aren't hard and fast.

it's just cause if i am in a 2 person lane and the opponents only have one on that lane, i'll try and rotate to the lane that has 2 and our side has 1 to try and help out

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
MVP on my first game as Artanis heh. He seems super fun.

So if you dah and swap position, does that count as if you were still in your initial dash spot, will they get swapped back there?

The play is to dash forward and as you begin to fall back throw the Prism and then you'll get what the Internet kids call a "God Swap(TM)".

ah ok need to try it. Saving a Kerrigan from a chasing Valeera and Illidn with the blind ult felt nice tho :D

Alur

MVP on my first game as Artanis heh. He seems super fun.

So if you dah and swap position, does that count as if you were still in your initial dash spot, will they get swapped back there?

The play is to dash forward and as you begin to fall back throw the Prism and then you'll get what the Internet kids call a "God Swap(TM)".

Haha I got two of the azmodunk skins from boxes with the mount and man this skin is amazing.

I almost feel bad getting it for free. It kinda makes me love playing azmo.

Kioshen

We can try doing some replay analysis together Kio, if you're interested.

If you have time I would be honored to do that. I'll play some games during the week and try to round up some replays.

Can you review my vp on sky temple last night?
67c.gif

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I continue to really enjoy Samuro.

on the heroes I dont own priority list, I think its Li Ming -> Lucio -> Lunara -> Cassia, but Lunara might be second actually, I really like her, and I only tried Cassia a couple of times last week so she might go up aswell. But those 4 are the ones I'm really jonesing for.

Gul'Dan and Probius are whatever, ill get them for completion sake eventually (you would think I would love Prob since I love pets/turret type things but he did nothing for me). I havent tried Valeera, Chromie, Medivh, Genji, Cho'Gall or Zul Jin

edit: just rerolled a loot box with 4 commons in it and got a epic and legendary out of it, 250g well spent. Unfortunately the Legendary was the same tint of the Samurai Arthas skin I already had (but its 400 shards for epic skin of my choosing I guess). The epic was a new tint of the cowboy Raynor skin which I didnt have so thats cool, and also another 3 day stim pack lol. up to 1 month 14 days now. It goes up isntead of down, im not complaining :p

Nudull

Banned
Debating between getting the Assassin or Support bundle. I'd like to see if I can hang back and snipe people, but I also like to heal folks too. Hrm. Also, Lucio.

I'm total shit at landing the hook but man it's fun to swallow people as stitches and just casually walk them back to your team to murder them, or even better, behind your wall.

Apathy

They should have not take out the extra maps. I am so sick of getting the same boring "moba" maps. The mines one was fun and so was the one with the angels specifically cause they were different. I don't think they were that hard to understand.

I'm total shit at landing the hook but man it's fun to swallow people as stitches and just casually walk them back to your team to murder them, or even better, behind your wall.

creative placement too. I was watching a video on youtube where he would stand on the opposite side of terrain and drag opponents over or on the tower map, when they were close hook into that eating skill and walk him to the bombardment area.

Alur

They should have not take out the extra maps. I am so sick of getting the same boring "moba" maps. The mines one was fun and so was the one with the angels specifically cause they were different. I don't think they were that hard to understand.

Has nothing to do with being hard to understand, like I said yesterday. This has always been the protocol when new maps are released. Has nothing to do with 2.0 or anything. They just want people to have more chances to play the new map and people also want more chances to play the new map.

After a couple weeks it goes back to normal.

kirblar

BoE is great but you kinda run into an issue with brand new players feeding a bunch on it.

Mines sucks, its just a bad design as is. The two-level structure and general design have never worked and the introduction of heroes like Sylv just broke the map.

Apathy

Why pick a healer if you aren't going to heal?

Has nothing to do with being hard to understand, like I said yesterday. This has always been the protocol when new maps are released. Has nothing to do with 2.0 or anything. They just want people to have more chances to play the new map and people also want more chances to play the new map.

After a couple weeks it goes back to normal.

bleck. they are all so boring right now, and hanamura isn't fun. The pool is way too low.

C-Drive

So I thought I hated MOBAs, but I'm kind of understanding it a bit more with Heroes. Learning how to play it at the least.

CxDrive#1342 if any one would like to add me. I'm wanting to get the Nexus 2.0 challenges completed for this week, I need two more games.

Is there a Discord for HeroesGAF?

Zackat

She's been one of my favs for a while now. I love her christmas skin too.

btw are they gonna have seasonal/event lootboxes in this game like OW? I am gonna assume yes.

Rhaknar

I wanted to say this for a few days (whenever I came back) but ended up not at the time it happened, but I will now.

I know wanting to find reason in what assholes say is pointless but still, dont people realise that when you flame others in chat, that doesnt help and in fact only makes it worse because its incredibly distracting even if you have the thickest skin ever?

Right when I came back I had a match that Im sure I was stinking up the place, I wont deny it, and some dude just goes ham with the YOU FUCKING NUB OMG etc etc. I forget who I was playing but it was so distracting, I kept reading it off the corner of my eye and I just played even worse because I was half distracted, half stressed from it. So you are doubling down on a bad player by making him even worse, whats the point.

I say this now because I was just watching a Pallytime video just now and someone randomly goes "are you the real pallytime?" as people often do in this videos and then goes "either way I hope you die in a fiery car crash" and you can tell pallytime was visibly perplexed / shaken by it that he runs into a stupid team fight and dies, so like even good players can get shaken by chat, so imagine new players.

so yeah...dont do it :p

Kioshen

There's a neat mute function that you can per player or allied chat. You can also straight report the person and it will mute further communication from him. People are going to be toxic behind a keyboard and there's usually not much you can do about it. In a moba, it happens more frequently because of the team aspect, unfortunately.

You can try to "kill" them with kindness but usually, cumulative reports that end up in a silence period is more effective.

Kenai

Yea just report and mute the toxic people, it's common in any PvP game to run into ppl like that. You aren't likely to run into them again anytime soon (if ever) but reporting does lead to warnings and accounts banned, and at the very least you don't have to hear them again.

Top Bottom